Speedy Dub or Big Green Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Speedy Dub or Big Green Dub

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:05 am

Which one of these so bad, it's good dubs of DBZ do you find entertaining to watch?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Speedy Dub or Big Green Dub

Post by Tian » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:03 am

It is a difficult decision to make...

On one hand, we have hilarious lines like "Let that child alone" or "Big Green had perished. Vegeta, Yamcha, Tenshin and Clearin they have survived" and comical voices like Yoda Tien and Yami Goku.

But on other hand, we have bizarre lines like "If ya don't eat rice, the pawa won't come!" or "Black human beings dislike the sound of rubbing glass", the emotionless voice actors struggling with English and the random videogame music.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:28 am

Speedy Dub.

Its so bad dat its GOOD!!!

M8 Broly which goes sumthin like this: Piccolo/Uncle Motong says to Prince VEKETA: UR MIND HAS BIN DAMAGELY KORRUPTED...GO AWAY!!! I DON WAN 2 SEE UR FACE AGAIN!!!!

Cooler's Revenge has Vegeta's infamous line: PLEASE DON MISUNDERSTAND ME KAKAROT....I DID NOT KUM HERE TU HUMP YOU....THE MAN WHO BIT YOU (Cooler/Kuralla) IS MII!!!! (rofl)

Fusion Reborn Vegeta/Beta's line : CAMBINE OWWA BADY?!! ARE YOU KUWAZYY...I DO WAN TU CAMBINE!!!!

See, they're so hilarious it could be used as effective therapeutic regime for depressed/frustrated citizens of our orld

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:00 am

I think the Speedy dub goes too far, and ends up just getting old. Rather like what happens when you're 2/3rds of the way into watching The Room.

Meanwhile, I think Big Green works a lot better; the actors are clearly putting a lot into this utterly stupid and terrible thing, but not taking it seriously at all, resulting in just wall-to-wall ridiculous fun and stupidity.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Big Green. For one, I actually own the entire Big Green collection legit, but some of the performances in it are genuinely endearing, most of all Goku. Dare I say David Gasman's Goku is my favourite to listen to, not in terms of capturing the character (he's miles away), but it just sounds so nice.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Weejus wrote:Big Green. For one, I actually own the entire Big Green collection legit, but some of the performances in it are genuinely endearing, most of all Goku. Dare I say David Gasman's Goku is my favourite to listen to, not in terms of capturing the character (he's miles away), but it just sounds so nice.
My favorite :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLusvLlDc6o sounds like a native american chief, Bora maybe lol
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 am

Gotta go Speedy dub. Both are hilariously terrible, but Speedy is just so ridiculous. Big Green is funny as hell, but I feel it's enjoyed best by Dragon Ball fans and while the same probably goes for Speedy, I think a Dragon Ball fan and your average person would probably laugh just as hard at more points. I've shown clips of each to Dragon Ball fans and non-fans alike and this seems to be true.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:01 am

The Speedy dub is more consistently hilarious. As bad as the Big Green dub is, there are a few voices that sound like they’d probably be able to work with better direction. Plus, I can generally understand what the characters in the Big Green dub are saying just fine.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I think the Speedy dub is less funny and more sad. Of course these actors who sound like they barely speak the language are going to give awful performances.

The Big Green dub is funny to me because of the contrast. Here you have actual professional voice actors, good ones even, trying to act a script that is borderline nonsensical. It has that The Room quality where the legitimate film crew struggled to deal with Tommy Wiseau's inexperience/incompetence.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 am

I like to share out I had Chris Sabat say a big green quote.

FFJamie94

Post by FFJamie94 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 am

Speedy.
It's just so surreal.
It doesn't help that when I was much younger, I used to think it was the original Japanese voice actors (I was like 5 at the time...).

Big Green at times sounds like a legit dub for something.
At least some of VA are fine.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Big Green was a "legit" dub in terms of it being an officially licensed product. Nobody's 100% if the Speedy dubs are licensed or bootlegs, considering that the M/E materials apparently came from officially licensed Cantoneese(?) VCDs which merely happened to have a M/E track on one channel..
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.