Dragon Ball Z - Episodes 81-85 - Discussion Thread [Rewatch - Week 17]

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z - Episodes 81-85 - Discussion Thread [Rewatch - Week 17]

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 pm

I will start posting my Rewatch with Ep 85, i'm watching the original japanese dub with subtitles.

EPISODE 85

General Thoughts - An amazing episode, very entertaining and impactful, Vegeta realizing that no matter what he did, He can't even scratch Freeza.

Animation - One of the best animated episodes of this arc, losing only to Ep 64, Shida and mainly Ohara really delivered. (8,5/10)

Ajay, Can I continue with the DBZ Rewatch here on Kanzenshuu ?

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 pm

I'd like to +1 a suggestion that we resume the rewatch; selfishly, I make this suggestion because I am finally caught up!

I don't know how interesting it is to anyone, but I've been gathering little bits of statistical data on the episodes as I am watching them. I'd be glad to provide some of this somewhat strange commentary if we resume the rewatch.

So, for example:
  • Episode 85 is the 248th Dragon Ball episode that I am tracking. (This includes 153 episodes of DB, 3 DB movies, 2 DB specials, 4 DBZ movies, and the Bardock special)
  • Goku remains the only character to appear in every episode to date. Gohan has been in 96% of DBZ, while Kuririn has been in 90%.
  • Kuririn and Gohan have now been in 23 episodes straight after their non-appearances (naturally) in the Bardock special.
  • This is Freeza's 37th episode appearance and he has more than taken the lead in terms of recurring villains that never (in DBZ) reformed. (Pilaf/Shuu/Mai are the closest and they have only been in 28 episodes so far. After them are Piccolo Daimao (21) and Commander Red (20). DBZ really likes longer arcs.)
  • Dende was killed in his 27th appearance. I'm considering making a "time until death" tracker that counts how many episodes characters are in until they die the first time...
  • Are you enjoying Namek yet? This is our 42nd episode there. It made the "Lord Slug" movie's Earthbound plot seem refreshing...
And it's a bit late since Porunga was a few episodes ago, but if you are keeping score with the Namek balls:
  • The 3-, 5-, and 7-star balls won with 22 episode appearances each.
  • The 2-star ball is just behind with 21 episodes.
  • The 6-star ball has 18.
  • The 1- and 4-star balls have 16 each.
I don't think there are any further episodes where they don't appear as a set so that will probably be their final ranking.

Just to give you an idea how time-extension affects DBZ, across every Earth Dragon Ball hunt so far in the series, the 3-start and 7-star balls have only appeared in 23 episodes. It'll be a bit of a surprise if some of the Namek balls overtake them given just how much longer the original ones have been around.

I don't know how interesting any of that is to anyone but me, but I'm keeping track of things for no good reason at all, so I might as well share.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:54 pm

That's great info man ! I will try to make a thread every week to continue the rewatch.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 pm

When is the next post update on kanzenshuu gonna be?
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders