Do you Dragon Ball can work as a Highschool story?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you Dragon Ball can work as a Highschool story?

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am

Bruma rabu wrote:I disagree. Fanservice being aimed only at guys, how is that a problem? If it's a show aimed at males why would it be bad if the fanservice was too? If we use dragon ball as an example, it's a series aimed at boys. Can girls like it? Absolutely 100%, but it's target audience is boys at the end of the day. So if Toriyama decided to have provocative scenes with females(witch he does early on in DB) why would it be bad for him to do so? Also fanservice for women exist and isn't as scarce as you might think.
I dunno I just find fanservice to be very inappropriate, and in most cases they add nothing to the story other than to get a rise out of the boys so that they might keep watching (as opposed to doing that with the actual story). It's the equivalent of inserting a Hooters commercial in SpongeBob Squarepants.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 am

KBABZ wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:I disagree. Fanservice being aimed only at guys, how is that a problem? If it's a show aimed at males why would it be bad if the fanservice was too? If we use dragon ball as an example, it's a series aimed at boys. Can girls like it? Absolutely 100%, but it's target audience is boys at the end of the day. So if Toriyama decided to have provocative scenes with females(witch he does early on in DB) why would it be bad for him to do so? Also fanservice for women exist and isn't as scarce as you might think.
I dunno I just find fanservice to be very inappropriate, and in most cases they add nothing to the story other than to get a rise out of the boys so that they might keep watching (as opposed to doing that with the actual story). It's the equivalent of inserting a Hooters commercial in SpongeBob Squarepants.
Hey, it's not like DBZ doesn't have tons of shiryless buff guys for all the ladies to enjoy
Get Fucked, C_unt

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:29 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I dunno I just find fanservice to be very inappropriate, and in most cases they add nothing to the story other than to get a rise out of the boys so that they might keep watching (as opposed to doing that with the actual story). It's the equivalent of inserting a Hooters commercial in SpongeBob Squarepants.
Hey, it's not like DBZ doesn't have tons of shiryless buff guys for all the ladies to enjoy
True, but it's not like they're flexing it for the camera or anything. I mean, fanservice reveals the intent right there in the name: it's not there for the character, or the story, it's there for the viewer alone.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am

Oh, more character concept stuff...

Freeza
Origin: Unknown (Alien)
Height: 145 cm
Weight: 43 kg
Signature Technique(s): Death Beam, Psychokinesis, Death Ball

Information

A member of the Daimao Martial Arts team and main villain of the story. Freeza is a snobby rich alien who is very underhanded and he is so utterly nasty that his behavior disturbs everyone else (apart from Cell). He also shows sign of being psychotic as he enjoys physically torturing his enemies.

Speaking of enemies... his conflict with Goku exceeds Vegeta's, which is merely a bitter rivalry, as he outright hates Goku and the Saiyan clan in general doing anything to expose of them.

Cell
Origin: Unknown (created in Dr. Gero's Lab)
Height: 210 cm
Weight: 92 kg
Signature Technique(s): Kamehameha, Death Beam, Taiyōken, Regeneration

Information

A member of the Daimao Martial Arts team and secondary main villain of the story. Cell, according his programming and himself, is the "Perfect Fighting Machine" as he learns everyone's techniques just from seeing it once. He is incredibly battle savvy and so despicable that he alienates everyone else (aside from Freeza, of course).

He is also very polite but thrives on causing terror and he shares a mutual bond with Freeza not only for both being pure evil but their hatred for the Saiyan clan.

Kamesen'nin (generally referred to as Muten Rōshi)
Origin: China
Height: 165 cm
Weight: 44 kg
Signature Technique(s): Kamehameha (inventor), Suiken, MAX Power, Bankoku Bikkuri Shō, Mafūba

Information

Muten Rōshi is the P.E. teacher of the Ryu-Ken Highschool and also the martial arts teacher. He is a very wise and shrewd but perverted old man. He shares a special bond with Son Goku due to him being the adoptive grandson of his now deceased star pupil Son Gohan.

Muten Rōshi is also a founding member of the Ryu-Ken Highschool and was known as the strongest man in the world during his prime, but things have changed since.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 pm

KBABZ wrote: I dunno I just find fanservice to be very inappropriate, and in most cases they add nothing to the story other than to get a rise out of the boys so that they might keep watching (as opposed to doing that with the actual story). It's the equivalent of inserting a Hooters commercial in SpongeBob Squarepants.
Before I continue I want to say that this isn't the only form of fanservice. There is other types of fanservice that dragon ball uses. One example would be in Super were they bringing back moves like the Mafuba and Kaioken. Going back to ecchi fanservice, I don't think it's bad. Can it be lazy? Yeah, but I don't think it's something that should stop.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm

It makes sense storywise to bring back old attacks. In any event, DB wouldn't be DB if it was a high school story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 pm

ABED wrote:It makes sense storywise to bring back old attacks. In any event, DB wouldn't be DB if it was a high school story.
Doesn't change the fact it was fanservice. I think a high school story can be told in dragon ball but with Gohan or Goten and Trunks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:It makes sense storywise to bring back old attacks. In any event, DB wouldn't be DB if it was a high school story.
Doesn't change the fact it was fanservice. I think a high school story can be told in dragon ball but with Gohan or Goten and Trunks.
DB is an action adventure story, not a teen comedy.

It depends on what you consider fanservice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:18 pm

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
DB is an action adventure story, not a teen comedy.

It depends on what you consider fanservice.
Who said it had to be a teen comedy? Also it's pretty cut n dry that that was fanservice.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Again, depends on what you mean by fanservice.

Then a teen drama like One Tree Hill or Dawson's Creek? I don't understand what this imagined scenario even is. DB is at its core a story about martial arts and mysticism. The scope of the story is vital to it.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:38 pm

ABED wrote:Again, depends on what you mean by fanservice.

Then a teen drama like One Tree Hill or Dawson's Creek? I don't understand what this imagined scenario even is. DB is at its core a story about martial arts and mysticism. The scope of the story is vital to it.
Is dragon ball the only anime you've watch? There's plenty of other shows that take place in a high school setting and have martial arts and over the top action and have it work beautifully together. A good example of this is my hero academia. I don't really know what you're trying to get at with the fanservice thing. Super has done it by using those techniques.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:Again, depends on what you mean by fanservice.

Is dragon ball the only anime you've watch? There's plenty of other shows that take place in a high school setting and have martial arts and over the top action and have it work beautifully together. A good example of this is my hero academia. I don't really know what you're trying to get at with the fanservice thing. Super has done it by using those techniques.
Dragon Ball is in a different genre than MHA. Put it in high school and it ceases to be DB.

I don't know what you take to be fanservice.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:46 am

It'd probably be fun as a parody like little saiyalings, but I doubt you get much mileage out of it. Half the fun of Dragonball is going around the world beating dudes up and going on adventures and shit.