Do you Dragon Ball can work as a Highschool story?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you Dragon Ball can work as a Highschool story?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 am

https://imgur.com/a/a2iN6

I've done several topics on this before but I never truly felt satisfied with them. Anyways, how would feel about a highschool story but with a Dragon Ball twist? Perhaps it could be a character-driven romantic comedy (basically combining Toriyama's weakness with one of his strengths) revolving around the rivalry of two schools that specialize in martial arts.

Personally, I think it should based on the 2nd generation cast because they have the most potential for an unique story and they weren't formally educated let alone put in such a setting so it'd be interesting to see.

I'll start...

Schools

Ryu-Ken Highschool

The 'good' school of our heroes.

Daimao Highschool

The 'corrupt' school of the antagonists.

Main Characters

Son Goku
Origin: China (born); Japan (Tohoku region)
Height: 170 cm
Weight: 62 kg
Signature Technique(s): Kamehameha, Kaio-ken, Ryu-Ken

Information

The main protagonist and star pupil of the Ryu-Ken Martial Arts team. He's cool-headed, pure of heart, and wants nothing more in life than a good fight which gives him the ideal training ethic but his grades are barely up to standard, which conflicts with his martial arts participation, as he doesn't really study his lessons.

He is also very naive and socially awkward which can rub others the wrong way but his laid-back nature makes him well-liked by virtually everyone he meets.

Vegeta
Origin: Japan
Height: 158 cm
Weight: 56 kg
Signature Technique(s): Galick Gun, Dirty Fireworks

Information

The star pupil of the Daimao Martial Arts team and main rival of Son Goku. He's arrogant, ill-tempered, calculating, and looks down on Goku (who was disowned by their Saiyan clan) for being born a weakling. He is widely feared across both schools due to his reputation is a violent delinquent and just like Goku, he struggles academically but more because of his indifference to school in general.

Despite his reputation, he doesn't really start fights unless he's being bothered in someway.

Piccolo
Origin: Unknown
Height: 206 cm
Weight: 95 kg
Signature Technique(s): Bakurikimaha, Makankosappo, Makūhōidan, Gekiretsu Kōdan, Regeneration

Information

Son Goku's secondary rival who was sent to the Ryu-Ken Highschool to kill him which he doesn't carry out because he would rather defeat him fairly in combat. He is very booksmart but also introvert and stoic which alienates the other students. He occasionally aids the Ryu-Ken Martial Arts team when they are in trouble.

Although he never expresses it, he has aligned himself as one of the heroes.

Kuririn
Origin: China
Height: 148 cm
Weight: 45 kg
Signature Technique(s): Kamehameha, Kakusandan, Kienzan

Information

Son Goku's best friend and a member of the Ryu-Ken Martial Arts team. He's very down-to-earth and is much more socially aware than Goku but his low self-esteem often prevents him from seeing his true potential.

Although not the strongest, he can be quite crafty which makes him a valuable asset both academically and in sports.

Bloomers
Origin: America
Height: 164 cm
Weight: 49 kg
Signature Technique(s): N/A
Measurements: 85(D)/58/84

Information

The longest friend of Son Goku and heiress of the Capsule Corporation. She is an American exchange student who is attending the Ryu-Ken Highschool to expand the Capsule Corp. brand and support Goku in his endeavors. She is initially in a relationship with Yamucha but still has eyes for Vegeta.

Although not a fighter, she aids the team with her intelligence. While vain and can be condescending to those lower in the social ranking (which include Oolong, Yajirobe, and sometimes Kuririn), she is ready to help those in need either it be Goku with his studies or Chi-Chi being more feminine.

Chi-Chi
Origin: Japan (Tohoku region)
Height: 160 cm
Weight: 50 kg
Signature Technique(s): Red Blazing Aura
Measurements: 84(D)/57/83

Information

The new girl of Son Goku's social group and his main love interest. Generally sweet and innocent, her emotions are quick to change at any given moment. She is also very tomboyish as she attended the Ryu-Ken Highschool partly out of her own interest but she does try to be more "lady-like". She quickly develops feelings for Goku which starts off as a one-sided crush but their relationship deepens over time.

Being the daughter of the legendary Gyumao, she is very strong in her own rights even exceeding her father and she joins the Ryu-Ken Martial Arts team to carry his name but paint it in a more positive way.

Yamucha
Origin: Japan
Height: 178 cm
Weight: 71 kg
Signature Technique(s): Kamehameha, Roga Fufu-Ken

Information

Bloomers' on-and-off boyfriend and a member of the Ryu-Ken Martial Arts team. Yamucha, for the lack of better words, is a punk who acts tough but is really a nice guy. Although he considers himself a rival to Vegeta, he is easily bested in every encounter. He is also noted for his shyness around females in general much to the annoyance of Bloomers.

He is usually seen with his flying cat Puar who aids him both academically and in sports. Together they can come up with really great strategies.

Tenshinhan
Origin: China
Height: 183 cm
Weight: 74 kg
Signature Technique(s): Dodompa, Shiyōken, Shishin no Ken, Kikōhō

Information

One of Son Goku's various rivals from the Daimao Martial Arts team who was leading down a dark path but is shown the errors of his ways through opposing the rival school. Despite technically being a villain, he is a very proud martial artist who shows disdain for any dishonorable tactics.

His most distinguished characteristic is his third eye that allows to see everything.

There's more character concepts I have coming soon...
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you Dragon Ball can work as a Highschool story?

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Yeah, it's called the Great Saiyaman saga.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:26 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote:Yeah, it's called the Great Saiyaman saga.
Or uh...

DragonBall Evolution

Yeah yours was better.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:31 pm

I used to love high schools fan fictions about DB when Ibwas younger. It's been a while since I read one if them. If you write one, let us know, I'd be interested in checking it out :D Also, do you know any good high school DB fan fiction??
Get Fucked, C_unt

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Could it work? Possibly but it’s just not my thing. I guess I prefer the most fantastic settings/scenarios than regular everyday life. Gohan’s antics at high school are my least favorite which is odd considering he’s my favorite character (though that may be more to do with my opinion of how his personality developed from the Cell saga onwards than anything else).

I’ve seen some fan fictions that take a different angle to the high school scenario and truthfully, they can be a lot of fun—if done right. It’s one of those things though where I think it’s very difficult to do it right.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I think it might if you flip the script a little bit. I remember in the RRA Arc that Bulma was taking a break from school when she went on the first adventure. What if you had the story told from Bulma's perspective and have Kid Goku as her weird tagalong partner? It'd be similar to Star Butterfly or My Life As A Teenage Robot, and using the Nimbus and/or Bulma's inventions, they travel to specific locations where a Dragon Ball is located (kinda like the Minicons in Transformers: Armada).

It's not particularly Dragon Ball but it'd be a fun setup!

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Geeko
Origin: China (born); Japan (Tohoku region)
Height: 170 cm
Weight: 62 kg
Signature Technique(s): Kamehameha, Ryu-Ken
Fixed that for ya, bro.
_______

I mean, it could work...but I feel the characters just being copy-pasted into a high school seems kinda dull? I dunno, maybe some kind of basic plot synopsis and side story concepts being shown to show the potential of a high school setting that the regular series couldn't do or highlight could make me really on board.

Also it's high school without a harem for the MC? Shame on you lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 am

Is there a particular reason Bulma (er Bloomer) and Chi Chi’s character profiles need to include the measurements of their tiddies?

Also what’s wrong with the name Bulma like it says on every article of clothing she wears with her name on it (a lot?)

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:03 am

To answer this thread: If they can make a highschool spinoff of Evangelion

They can certainly make one for Dragon Ball.

Also, years ago there was a fairly popular web comic called Lil saiyalings.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:07 am

It could work. Amp up the Slice of Life, turn every meaningful fight, conflict, and death in the canon series into a gag, and flanderize everyone.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 am

FoolsGil wrote:It could work. Amp up the Slice of Life, turn every meaningful fight, conflict, and death in the canon series into a gag, and flanderize everyone.
So basically they should make it like Super?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:It could work. Amp up the Slice of Life, turn every meaningful fight, conflict, and death in the canon series into a gag, and flanderize everyone.
So basically they should make it like Super?
...Yeah. Except not wasting our time with terrible fights or dragged out plotlines.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Is there a particular reason Bulma (er Bloomer) and Chi Chi’s character profiles need to include the measurements of their tiddies?

Also what’s wrong with the name Bulma like it says on every article of clothing she wears with her name on it (a lot?)
In female bios for most manga they include female measurements.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Only, if they could find the human equivalent to the characters in the series do. It is possible if they actually follow the events and retool them, as opposed to creating the generic high-school and just slapping on character names like DB Evolution failed with. I think as long as every core theme of the story is used, then it would be a passable adaption. If nothing of DB is correctly portrayed, then it would be a failure.

Here is my premise for a modernized dramedy:

[spoiler]Goku is a young adult who lives alone, after his grandfather died and was somehow one of the best athletes in school, and lived completely isolated in rural China, though he is originally ethnically. (a Rural area in Japan that no longer exists as it did, represents Planet Vegeta) and he was sent away as a baby after a disaster or a claim that a disaster hit the area. Goku is a guy everyone thinks is weird and like strange social rumors work in Asian schools, the outlandish rumor is that he has a tail or something outlandish, because he's poor.

Piccolo would be a social outcast character that took on a lot of dislike of people around him because of his inability to fit in and didn't care about anyone until he befriends Son Goku's son (if this is set in college; or younger brother if in Highschool, or hell Goku could be a teen dad that is evasive and thus Chi-Chi is angry). Piccolo early on wants to sabotage or get Goku injured so he can't play anymore as his father dislikes son Goku for beating him or something. Piccolo's father king Piccolo, is too old to compete anymore or something and wants Piccolo jr. to avenge his losses.

Bulma is an american tourist in the area because her father was introducing a technology to the market there, and thinks she ran Goku over with her car, she is on her own wandering around looking for some novelty charms she heard about she just thinks will be good luck in her desire to get an unrealistically attractive boyfriend or just pawn them off, and eventually finds herself stealing from Goku's home. Goku confronts her, and the same situation ensues, hes never seen an American person before (as opposed to a tailless woman) and his unsocial behaviour gives Bulma a low opinion of him at first. Bulma tries to flash Goku hoping he wouldn't call the police on her for running him over. Something along the line. She convines Goku to show her around and they initiate their adventuring while truant.

Yamcha is an out of school dropout or rebel who like a bandit is a pickpocket. Tries to rob Bulma & Goku but then a fight breaks out and Yamcha realizes his fear of women from some accidental perversion he is accused of or something.

Tenshinhan would be a guy from a rival sports team the (Cranes), and Goku's school team would be the Turtle Hermits and he would come from an abusive coaching or adoptive family background related to in someway Tao Pai-Pai or Crane.

Krillin is a runaway private school kid and martial artist who wants to get girls (like the original and hides the fact that he was bullied for being short and weak) and only cares about the superficial aspects of sports and Roshi is a renowned retired coach that at first does not to be anyone's personal trainer unless someone can bring him a woman.

Chi-Chi is a childish and sheltered, rich Chinese girl at their school or college who like in anime has or had a childhood crush on Goku because he was honest and innocent unlike the guys her Ox-King (lets say hes a food manufacturer and nicknamed the "Ox-King" like burger-king), wanted her to marry, and only able to seek out Goku after their factory burns down (a like their castle), and she is able to go to the same community school as son Goku. Ch-Chi however being very socially naive, thinks he's cute based on the bizarre word about Goku. She is also a young model (thus has pictures of herself in the blue bikini-armor costume) but Goku is not interested in this. If they were to keep the fact Goku had a head injury, he would have some neurological difference to him as to why he only cares about sports and nothing else, not even women. That and he is uneducated being rural and because Chi-Chi is ignorant to these things (and mental health is not a widely accepted thing in Asia) she sees him as charming for his uncommon personality to her, but Goku portrayed as asexual his not interested by her at all, until she tricks him into marrying her with a feast or something where he comes to her home. Goku has no clue at all about what happened but came over for diner. Goku ends up in a shotgun wedding with Chi-Chi because somehow she got pregnant.[/spoiler]
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Is there a particular reason Bulma (er Bloomer) and Chi Chi’s character profiles need to include the measurements of their tiddies?

In female bios for most manga they include female measurements.
why though

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 pm

This thread reminded of the best dumb idea I had for a fanfic some time back:

The main character would be Jheese, a self-conscious, mediocre teenager who desperately wants to join the best gang in town, mainly because he wants to get closer to the gang's leader, the outrageously loud and tenacious Ginyu (who he has a bit of a crush on).

The name of this fic would be, what else, Ginyu Tokusempai.

That's it.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Because... plot, that's why.

[spoiler]Seriously though, it's not for a beach episode or any generic animu garbage like that but it could play a role in their character development[/spoiler]
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Yeah! Like there's a fire and Chichi cannot fit through the vent because her tits are too big. Then its up to Flat-I mean Videl to save the day!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Yeah! Like there's a fire and Chichi cannot fit through the vent because her tits are too big. Then its up to Flat-I mean Videl to save the day!
Not quite what I was thinking. I was thinking the other girls teasing Chi-Chi for her development which settles in a conflict for her character (her 'feminine' indentity) and Bulma using her body to get what she wants like in the actual series.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Oh god why.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: