Just how much better are the Blu-rays than the Orange Bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Just how much better are the Blu-rays than the Orange Bricks?

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Forte224 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:You're right about Super. I just wish it would come out faster! :)
And 90sDBZ, would you classify yourself as a collector, or at least you have a collector's mindset? I ask because your mentioning of liking the idea of having the whole series packed into a small, good looking box.
I'm not really one to collect stuff purely for the sake of having it sit on a shelf, but if it's a series or movie I feel strongly about then I'll sometimes double dip(or triple dip) if it's a reasonable upgrade in picture and has unique boxart. And Dragonball just happens to be a series that makes shopaholics out of us all :lol:.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Same here. It's bad enough waiting for the parts, I'm waiting for the season (collection) sets which probably won't start releasing until all the parts are done.

Speaking of the UK, you've got Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood on DVD for 20 or Blu-Ray for 40. That's a steal for one of the best anime ever made.
Yeah, why in the world is FMA Brotherhood so expensive in North America? On Amazon anyway, collection 1 is $239 and collection 2 is $199.
Aniplex pulled the license from FUNimation so that in the future they might possibly be able to release an overpriced version.

They've been doing that with all of their titles. It's infuriating. I was recently finally wanting to buy Brotherhood, and I was forced into a less than ideal means of purchasing the show .
Yikes, that's no good. Thanks for the explanation.
90sDBZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
sintzu wrote:And 90sDBZ, would you classify yourself as a collector, or at least you have a collector's mindset? I ask because your mentioning of liking the idea of having the whole series packed into a small, good looking box.
I'm not really one to collect stuff purely for the sake of having it sit on a shelf, but if it's a series or movie I feel strongly about then I'll sometimes double dip(or triple dip) if it's a reasonable upgrade in picture and has unique boxart. And Dragonball just happens to be a series that makes shopaholics out of us all :lol:.
Well then I definitely know where you're coming from. I'd say go ahead and do it when the price is right. I've been pretty unreasonable (from a strictly logic perspective) with my Dragon Ball purchases over the past year or so and I don't regret it a bit. I'm like you, when I love something I go all out for it. But only if I actually plan to make use of it, not just have it sit on a shelf. But looking pretty on a shelf certainly adds to it.
Last edited by Forte224 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Same here. It's bad enough waiting for the parts, I'm waiting for the season (collection) sets which probably won't start releasing until all the parts are done.

Speaking of the UK, you've got Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood on DVD for 20 or Blu-Ray for 40. That's a steal for one of the best anime ever made.
Yeah, why in the world is FMA Brotherhood so expensive in North America? On Amazon anyway, collection 1 is $239 and collection 2 is $199.
Aniplex pulled the license from FUNimation so that in the future they might possibly be able to release an overpriced version.

They've been doing that with all of their titles. It's infuriating. I was recently finally wanting to buy Brotherhood, and I was forced into a less than ideal means of purchasing the show .
I got Collection 1 for $40, and Collection 2 for $70, right when the price started to skyrocket. It was literally in triple digits the next day :o

T'was a steal, though. Show is great.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 pm

sintzu wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:You're right about Super. I just wish it would come out faster! :)

For sure, I actually manged to get all of Brotherhood on BD under £30!

But UK anime industry still sucks. We've had to deal with the likes Kaze (to sum up how bad they are they delayed Future Diary Part 1 BD 6 times and then when it finally came out they shoved all 12 episodes on one disc...) Then Universal licensed and bunch of anime, released an expensive MHA set and are now completely MIA. Sentai looked to have a deal with MangaUK and now that looks shot and now the likes of Food Wars S2 are MIA. Now Sony are releasing stuff on behalf of FUNi but so far it's just the popular stuff like AoT/MHA S2 remains to be seen what happens there. We're now just getting DBZ movies/specials...

It's frustrating because I don't wanna import all the time but sometimes there is no choice.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Aniplex pulled the license from FUNimation so that in the future they might possibly be able to release an overpriced version.

Hold up, Aniplex is the BEST anime distributor in NA right now. Their releases are top notch, 1:1 with Japanese blu rays pretty much clones. I know they are pricy but if I'm buying a blu ray I expect the BEST picture quality I can get not something equivalent to stream or less. As of late funimation has been getting better but it's still not as good. Their releases are riddle with banding, macro blocking, starved bit rates, wrong gamma levels, audio issues the list goes on. I don't know if it's incompetence or Japanese companies telling them to release a lower quality version but something is almost always wrong with their releases.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Forte224 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Well then I definitely know where you're coming from. I'd say go ahead and do it when the price is right. I've been pretty unreasonable (from a strictly logic perspective) with my Dragon Ball purchases over the past year or so and I don't regret it a bit. I'm like you, when I love something I go all out for it. But only if I actually plan to make use of it, not just have it sit on a shelf. But looking pretty on a shelf certainly adds to it.
I'm exactly the same; I'm not into a lot, but what I AM into I'm pretty serious about it. Dragon Ball is one of them, and I'm going to buy TFC in Season Sets because the packaging of the Parts is so different (and they're what I wanted to get in the first place). And yeah having it in one box is very nice. The Orange Bricks have a LOT wrong with them, but I like how the Blue, Orange and Green bricks all have the same core design that makes them unisoned on the shelf, which sadly the Dragon Boxes never did.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But UK anime industry still sucks.
The US one also has its issues. Naruto Shippuden for example started releasing in 2009-10 by Viz yet there's still no collections in sight which means if you want to get the US version you'll have to get 38 parts. Manga UK on other hand are releasing it in 10 collections with the 8th one releasing this year and to make things better, the prices are that of one part in the US so you're getting 50+ episodes for the price of 13 US ones.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 am

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I'm not really one to collect stuff purely for the sake of having it sit on a shelf, but if it's a series or movie I feel strongly about then I'll sometimes double dip(or triple dip) if it's a reasonable upgrade in picture and has unique boxart. And Dragonball just happens to be a series that makes shopaholics out of us all :lol:.
I'm exactly the same; I'm not into a lot, but what I AM into I'm pretty serious about it. Dragon Ball is one of them, and I'm going to buy TFC in Season Sets because the packaging of the Parts is so different (and they're what I wanted to get in the first place). And yeah having it in one box is very nice. The Orange Bricks have a LOT wrong with them, but I like how the Blue, Orange and Green bricks all have the same core design that makes them unisoned on the shelf, which sadly the Dragon Boxes never did.
Is TFC getting season sets confirmed? Wait, you're not in NA though, right? I've been wanting something with packaging similar to the season sets honestly, for the same reason as you, haha. And the orange bricks to match my blue and green ones. Haha.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 am

Forte224 wrote:Is TFC getting season sets confirmed? Wait, you're not in NA though, right? I've been wanting something with packaging similar to the season sets honestly, for the same reason as you, haha. And the orange bricks to match my blue and green ones. Haha.
I was under the assumption that they were, there was a listing I was linked to with very non-final boxart.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 am

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Is TFC getting season sets confirmed? Wait, you're not in NA though, right? I've been wanting something with packaging similar to the season sets honestly, for the same reason as you, haha. And the orange bricks to match my blue and green ones. Haha.
I was under the assumption that they were, there was a listing I was linked to with very non-final boxart.
Huh, I can't find news anywhere. I really hope so.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 am

Forte224 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Found it!

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... ies-bluray

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 am

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I was under the assumption that they were, there was a listing I was linked to with very non-final boxart.
Found it!

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... ies-bluray
Ah cool. I hope Funi releases something similar.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I've recently been strongly considering getting the Blu-rays after seeing this on Amazon.com;

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Seas ... op?ie=UTF8

A month or so back the price dropped dramatically for a short time, then it sold out, then was very briefly back in stock before selling out again. Now you can order it again but the price has gone back up. As I'd be importing to the UK it would cost around £160 with import fees included. I'm kind of kicking myself for not jumping on it when the price dropped, and at the moment I'm torn between getting it or waiting to see if the price drops again. The only thing that worries me is it going out of print.

Anyway I already own the Orange Bricks so I'd just like to get some opinions on how much of an improvement the Blu-rays are. I know many people here can't stand the Bricks but I've seen pretty mixed opinions on the Blu-rays. Some say they're a big improvement while others say they're only marginally better and not even good in and of themselves.
Even though both home releases are not that great, the Blu Ray Season Sets are way better then the Orange Bricks.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Even though both home releases are not that great, the Blu Ray Season Sets are way better then the Orange Bricks.
That may be but are they worth paying 150$+ again ? especially taking into account the fact you can't watch something that long very often.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:18 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Even though both home releases are not that great, the Blu Ray Season Sets are way better then the Orange Bricks.
They aren't.

There's a few factors that make them less bad, and a few factors that make them worse. At best, they're only a mild improvement.
As sintzu says, not worth $150.

I'm hesitant to say the OBs are more worth your money, as that would imply they are worth buying to some degree, but because you would spend more money getting the BDs, you're better spending less money on this crap by buying the OBs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.