Just how much better are the Blu-rays than the Orange Bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Just how much better are the Blu-rays than the Orange Bricks?

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:59 pm

I've recently been strongly considering getting the Blu-rays after seeing this on Amazon.com;

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Seas ... op?ie=UTF8

A month or so back the price dropped dramatically for a short time, then it sold out, then was very briefly back in stock before selling out again. Now you can order it again but the price has gone back up. As I'd be importing to the UK it would cost around £160 with import fees included. I'm kind of kicking myself for not jumping on it when the price dropped, and at the moment I'm torn between getting it or waiting to see if the price drops again. The only thing that worries me is it going out of print.

Anyway I already own the Orange Bricks so I'd just like to get some opinions on how much of an improvement the Blu-rays are. I know many people here can't stand the Bricks but I've seen pretty mixed opinions on the Blu-rays. Some say they're a big improvement while others say they're only marginally better and not even good in and of themselves.

Ajay

Re: Just how much better are the Blu-rays than the Orange Bricks?

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:02 pm

I don't think they're a particularly substantial improvement if you already own the Orange Bricks. I feel like for every issue the Blu-rays fix, they add in another of their own. For example, the Orange Bricks have line art vanishing in some places, while the Blu-rays' line art is smeary everywhere. The colours are pretty terrible on both, and the manual cropping wasn't handled well at all, either. I personally wouldn't shell out a load of money for what isn't really an upgrade.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 pm

I agree with Ajay, although they improve some areas of their DVD counterparts, they're minor improvements and bring with them their own issues. If you want a better version of Z then go for Kai as the video quality is a huge improvement over what you have and you'll get a new dub with it and better pacing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Agreed, it's not enough of an improvement to make the upgrade at full price, and I've owned both before. Though overall I do feel it's an upgrade. If you wait for a sale and sell your orange bricks I'd say you'd be satisfied.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm

I made the jump from Orange Bricks to blu rays 3 or 4 years ago, and I like the blu rays way better. The cropping was much more of a hinderance on the OBs. I remember I sold my entire OB collection for $100 and put that towards the Blu Rays, which was totally worth it to me.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:49 pm

For me watching the blu ray feels like it's constantly trying to focus or something like that for me, it gives me a headache.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 am

They aren't.

IMO, they're worse. But, really, it's a matter of picking your poison; either you have a slightly blurry picture with a few shots in the series having lines disappear for a few seconds, or you have a massively blurry picture which has incredibly badly smeared line art, and overall, a picture that's been blurred then oversharpened to the point where it totally ruins all the backgrounds.

Ultimately, neither are worth your time or money. But, if you have to pick one, just pick whichever one you can get for cheaper.
I suppose it's also worth accounting for the fact most computers and such don't have Blu-Ray players, but pretty much everything aside from a lot of more modern laptops have DVD players.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am

Robo4900 wrote:I suppose it's also worth accounting for the fact most computers and such don't have Blu-Ray players, but pretty much everything aside from a lot of more modern laptops have DVD players.
As a slight counter, PS3, PS4 and XBO all have Blu-Ray support.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Some of you mentioned Kai and the Bricks as alternatives, so I'll just mention that I already own both. All things considered I'll most likely wait for another price drop.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:02 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I suppose it's also worth accounting for the fact most computers and such don't have Blu-Ray players, but pretty much everything aside from a lot of more modern laptops have DVD players.
Yes, that was what I was thinking too. Thing is, most people use something like that as their TV's player, but what about your PC?
90sDBZ wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Some of you mentioned Kai and the Bricks as alternatives, so I'll just mention that I already own both. All things considered I'll most likely wait for another price drop.
Honestly, if you already own the bricks, I say you'd be wasting your money buying the BD seasons, really... Just some shelf fillers...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yes, that was what I was thinking too. Thing is, most people use something like that as their TV's player, but what about your PC?
90sDBZ wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Some of you mentioned Kai and the Bricks as alternatives, so I'll just mention that I already own both. All things considered I'll most likely wait for another price drop.
Honestly, if you already own the bricks, I say you'd be wasting your money buying the BD seasons, really... Just some shelf fillers...
What about their PC? I'm assuming most use their TV for blu rays anyway. And the ones that don't always, like me, found a cheaper blu ray drive for their PC. You seem to really specifically not want him to get the blu rays.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
If you (or anyone) has one or the other then just invest that $$$ into something else (anime, games, etc.). There are so many other great things one can get into instead of buying the same thing multiple times.

Viz will release the 4th Hunter X Hunter Blu-Ray set on June 26th so just use that money to buy those instead.
You got the first part of Naruto on 5 sets you could get.
There's also One Piece's first 5 sets which go up to the end of Alabasta.
If you want newer anime there's attack on titan, my hero academia and more.
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Tbh Z isn't worth shelling out for beyond the OBs, including the likes of DBOXES. Like how often is one gonna watch a 291 episode series? BDs on top while they do look better*, more shelf friendly, good amount of extra's and have the durability of BD it's still not worth especially if you already own Kai.

*Season 5 the remaster goes out of focus.

£160 is a lot of money and it's money you won't get back, there is no way these are gonna go OOP. Save your money, you could buy ~9 more parts of Manga's DBS BDs with that much!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Like how often is one gonna watch a 291 episode series ? especially if you already own Kai.
For me, never. I got the dragon boxes around the same time Kai was releasing and to this day I never touched the boxes apart from the Buu arc once before Kai's Buu arc released. Going from Kai to Z was such a drag to get through that I can't ever see myself watching any part of it again. I know Kai's Buu arc didn't cut out as much as the other arcs (That's because there wasn't much to begin with) but what it did mixed with the new dub goes a very long way in making the experience so much better than the original.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I don't really use my PC to watch movies and TV Shows myself, but I know I'm a weirdo compared to most people. It is handy for the GT Dub Review of Awkwardness though I must admit.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:48 pm

sintzu wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
If you (or anyone) has one or the other then just invest that $$$ into something else (anime, games, etc.). There are so many other great things one can get into instead of buying the same thing multiple times.

Viz will release the 4th Hunter X Hunter Blu-Ray set on June 26th so just use that money to buy those instead.
You got the first part of Naruto on 5 sets you could get.
There's also One Piece's first 5 sets which go up to the end of Alabasta.
If you want newer anime there's attack on titan, my hero academia and more.
I can definitely see where you're coming from, but outside of Dragonball and One Piece I'm not that much of an anime fan. I've got One Piece up to Collection 16 and have been waiting over a year for the UK release to continue as I like to support it. Naruto I watched a decent amount of years ago but don't feel any immediate need to revisit it. But yeah I don't disagree with your point on checking out new stuff.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Tbh Z isn't worth shelling out for beyond the OBs, including the likes of DBOXES. Like how often is one gonna watch a 291 episode series? BDs on top while they do look better*, more shelf friendly, good amount of extra's and have the durability of BD it's still not worth especially if you already own Kai.

*Season 5 the remaster goes out of focus.

£160 is a lot of money and it's money you won't get back, there is no way these are gonna go OOP. Save your money, you could buy ~9 more parts of Manga's DBS BDs with that much!
I know it really is a lot to pay. A while back I could have got it for £117 which would have been considerably more justifiable. Honestly it isn't just the upgrade that tempts me but the cool looking box too. For some reason having the entire series in one small box really appeals to me. But yeah you're right about Super. I just wish it would come out faster! :)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

The only Blu-rays really worth buying are the movie Blu-rays, as they are sourced from 35mm film, and their only real fault is the over-saturated colors.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm

90sDBZ wrote:You're right about Super. I just wish it would come out faster! :)
Same here. It's bad enough waiting for the parts, I'm waiting for the season (collection) sets which probably won't start releasing until all the parts are done.

Speaking of the UK, you've got Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood on DVD for 20 or Blu-Ray for 40. That's a steal for one of the best anime ever made.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm

sintzu wrote:
Same here. It's bad enough waiting for the parts, I'm waiting for the season (collection) sets which probably won't start releasing until all the parts are done.

Speaking of the UK, you've got Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood on DVD for 20 or Blu-Ray for 40. That's a steal for one of the best anime ever made.
Yeah, why in the world is FMA Brotherhood so expensive in North America? On Amazon anyway, collection 1 is $239 and collection 2 is $199.

And 90sDBZ, would you classify yourself as a collector, or at least you have a collector's mindset? I ask because your mentioning of liking the idea of having the whole series packed into a small, good looking box.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Forte224 wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Yeah, why in the world is FMA Brotherhood so expensive in North America? On Amazon anyway, collection 1 is $239 and collection 2 is $199.
Aniplex pulled the license from FUNimation so that in the future they might possibly be able to release an overpriced version.

They've been doing that with all of their titles. It's infuriating. I was recently finally wanting to buy Brotherhood, and I was forced into a less than ideal means of purchasing the show .
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash