Reason for Freeza's design in "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Reason for Freeza's design in "Resurrection 'F'"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 am

I remember seeing the second trailer for Resurrection 'F' where the form was first revealed and thinking "Good lord. What is that?" It has grown on me a lot since then. It looks cool when he's surrounded by his aura (kinda like how I feel about SSB) and it looks better in the Universe Survival arc where he's much more shinier. I really like the idea of him choosing the colour as a way to mock the Super Saiyan transformation.

Resurrection 'F' really screwed over the form by only letting Freeza take the advantage during his fight with Goku for like 5 minutes right after his transformation. Made the form feel very underwhelming, but I guess that was intentional? The form didn't truly make me go "oh shit" until Episode 95 of Super. There it felt like a force to be reckoned with when he was mowing down those assassins and had fixed his stamina issue.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I remember seeing the second trailer for Resurrection 'F' where the form was first revealed and thinking "Good lord. What is that?" It has grown on me a lot since then. It looks cool when he's surrounded by his aura (kinda like how I feel about SSB) and it looks better in the Universe Survival arc where he's much more shinier. I really like the idea of him choosing the colour as a way to mock the Super Saiyan transformation.

Resurrection 'F' really screwed over the form by only letting Freeza take the advantage during his fight with Goku for like 5 minutes right after his transformation. Made the form feel very underwhelming, but I guess that was intentional? The form didn't truly make me go "oh shit" until Episode 95 of Super. There it felt like a force to be reckoned with when he was mowing down those assassins and had fixed his stamina issue.
No, it wasn't intentional, it was just the hand of a bad director being unable to create a sense of tension during a fight. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 14, 2018 8:51 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I remember seeing the second trailer for Resurrection 'F' where the form was first revealed and thinking "Good lord. What is that?" It has grown on me a lot since then. It looks cool when he's surrounded by his aura (kinda like how I feel about SSB) and it looks better in the Universe Survival arc where he's much more shinier. I really like the idea of him choosing the colour as a way to mock the Super Saiyan transformation.

Imagine when Freeza came back in DBS he changed the form to blue since SSGSS beat him up lol.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am

JazzMazz wrote:No, it wasn't intentional, it was just the hand of a bad director being unable to create a sense of tension during a fight. :lol:
That really is the correct answer. Makes me wonder how Resurrection 'F' would've turned out if someone who had experience in directing a film would've handled it.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Imagine when Freeza came back in DBS he changed the form to blue since SSGSS beat him up lol.
As hilarious as that would be, Freeza in a blue colour scheme would look so ugly. :sick:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 14, 2018 4:40 pm

JazzMazz wrote:No, it wasn't intentional, it was just the hand of a bad director being unable to create a sense of tension during a fight. :lol:
Goku points out in the movie why the form doesn't work out for him for very long. That it didn't work is the point!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon May 14, 2018 4:43 pm

So is this Toriyama confirming it was mostly a recolor?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon May 14, 2018 4:50 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Goku points out in the movie why the form doesn't work out for him for very long. That it didn't work is the point!
Yeah, but what about the part of the movie where the form is supposed to have a real upper-hand against Goku?

Shouldn't those scenes have been really tense?

Also, just because points out something isn't efficient, and puts a timer on it, doesn't mean the ensuing conflict should be so utterly lifeless and monotonous.

Blame for that sort of thing deserves to fall directly into a directors lap, since its there job to make the conflicts in the film tense, or at the very least engaging, something the action in ROF for the most part, really wasn't.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yeah, but what about the part of the movie where the form is supposed to have a real upper-hand against Goku?

Shouldn't those scenes have been really tense?
I suppose. In the movie I think Goku and Vegeta knew from the start that the form would be unlikely to work for very long since they know Frieza well enough at that point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 15, 2018 4:26 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:It's a shame UI was turned into another transformation.
Why? Technique and transformations are basically the same thing, given that Saiyans are all about transformations it makes sense, the same reason they can only use god ki by transforming. Also being a transformation is a means of not making Goku broken.
I have no idea what you mean by 'not making Goku broken'. The idea behind UI doesn't imply transformation. It's about using what you have at its most effective. In DB world it's about becoming so proficient as a martial artist that you just react because even the short time it takes to think wastes time and energy. Nothing about it suggests transforming.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.