Reason for Freeza's design in "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Reason for Freeza's design in "Resurrection 'F'"

Post by Asura » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Regardless of what anyone says, Golden Freeza will always remain a visually unappealing design, in my opinion. Dark purple and gold don’t go well together at all. If they were going to give Freeza a golden transformation, they should’ve ditched the purple.
I don't agree. I like purple and gold together. Both are regal, which is fitting for Freeza.
Purple and gold are definitely colors of royalty which is fitting, but only his skin is purple, the orb thing on his head and hands and feet are this weird indigo color with doesn't mix well with the purple. I think if it looked exactly like his final form except the white was replaced with gold it would be lazier but more aesthetically pleasing. It's that damn purple on his face that makes him look so weird to me, he looks like a monkey ironically enough.

Here's a quick crappy little photoshop that shows how I would have done Golden Freeza if we had to keep the purple/gold color scheme. Despite them both being royalty colors though, purple and gold really don't go together all that well which is why you don't see those two colors together that often.

Last edited by Asura on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't see it. They are a different shade, but those orb things are still purple.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 pm

ABED wrote:I don't see it. They are a different shade, but those orb things are still purple.
Nope, definitely indigo. You can see it here, I color picked the skin and the orbs, orb on the left skin on the right, orb color is definitely much more of an indigo with how much blue is in it, whereas the skin is straight up purple.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:37 pm

There are many different shades of purple.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:46 pm

ABED wrote:There are many different shades of purple.
Indigo is a shade of blue though, not purple.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:38 pm

I still stand that Toriyama made it intentionally ugly to reflect the story.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Asura wrote:
ABED wrote:There are many different shades of purple.
Indigo is a shade of blue though, not purple.
Yes, but in this case, Freeza's head in the picture is clearly a shade of purple, just like it always is. Also, indigo is an intermediate color between violet and blue, just like purple is between blue and red. Perhaps it's just that picture you chose.
Here's a quick crappy little photoshop that shows how I would have done Golden Freeza if we had to keep the purple/gold color scheme. Despite them both being royalty colors though, purple and gold really don't go together all that well which is why you don't see those two colors together that often.
I don't mind the purple around his mouth area. I feel quite the opposite, I think purple and gold create a very interesting pairing.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:00 pm

I don't necessarily dislike the way Golden Freeza looks, more of the idea that "If you can't simplify anymore, just change colors." Might be time to go for another approach then if that's where your train of thought goes.

It's not like Toriyama hasn't done more elaborate designs for his bad guys, Freeza's suppressed states have quite a bit going on and all of Cell's forms too. I don't know, it might be Toriyama's recent UI "design" making me extra annoyed at this approach.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Again I think the colouration is the point. Aside from a hairstyle change (with the exception of Vegeta), Super Saiyan is basically just recolouring a Saiyan's hair and eyes, and that's it. Considering that Golden Frieza is a Super Saiyan knockoff, it being a recolouring makes perfect sense. I don't see it in the same vein as Frieza's power-regressing transformations.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:34 pm

It does come off as lazy and if Freeza does in fact have some control over how his new forms appear, then a lazy redesign works on a character level. Sadly, it's not nearly that creative on Toriyama's part considering that's one of the reasons Freeza lost the first time.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm

KBABZ wrote:Again I think the colouration is the point. Aside from a hairstyle change (with the exception of Vegeta), Super Saiyan is basically just recolouring a Saiyan's hair and eyes, and that's it. Considering that Golden Frieza is a Super Saiyan knockoff, it being a recolouring makes perfect sense. I don't see it in the same vein as Frieza's power-regressing transformations.
I get what the point is, I just don't like the point itself. Freeza's character has massive problems going past the design in the F movie, he's literally just the halfway crazy guy Goku beats on during the last phase of their Namek fight, learning and accomplishing nothing by coming back as a way to artifically push a "Goku and Vegeta need to cooperate!" narrative that the Boo arc pulled of without making a fuss over it. The design is just kind of a visual representation of how no fucks were given for Freeza's character for the F storyline.

Which is really odd since in both versions of ToP, Freeza does get an actual personality upgrade, making Fs lack of doing so especially baffling.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Again I think the colouration is the point. Aside from a hairstyle change (with the exception of Vegeta), Super Saiyan is basically just recolouring a Saiyan's hair and eyes, and that's it. Considering that Golden Frieza is a Super Saiyan knockoff, it being a recolouring makes perfect sense. I don't see it in the same vein as Frieza's power-regressing transformations.
I get what the point is, I just don't like the point itself. Freeza's character has massive problems going past the design in the F movie, he's literally just the halfway crazy guy Goku beats on during the last phase of their Namek fight, learning and accomplishing nothing by coming back as a way to artifically push a "Goku and Vegeta need to cooperate!" narrative that the Boo arc pulled of without making a fuss over it. The design is just kind of a visual representation of how no fucks were given for Freeza's character for the F storyline.

Which is really odd since in both versions of ToP, Freeza does get an actual personality upgrade, making Fs lack of doing so especially baffling.
I personally saw the film as a character exploration for why Frieza sucks by losing AGAIN for the exact same reasons and failing to learn anything, and why dogged revenge mentality is detrimental to one's goals and that you can't just cheat your way up and expect to win. IMO the film is not at all about Goku or Vegeta, but about Frieza and how he's an utter failure of a villain by that point, and I see the film from his perspective as the main character when I watch it. That being said, it has the emotional depth one would expect from a DBZ movie, which is to say, like a puddle.

I much prefer it over Battle of Gods which is basically an expanded version of the Jump special that sets up Super. Worth noting though that I didn't see BoG until earlier this year, so I didn't have any of that "OMG DBZ is back!!" factor since that had already happened.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't necessarily dislike the way Golden Freeza looks, more of the idea that "If you can't simplify anymore, just change colors." Might be time to go for another approach then if that's where your train of thought goes.

It's not like Toriyama hasn't done more elaborate designs for his bad guys, Freeza's suppressed states have quite a bit going on and all of Cell's forms too. I don't know, it might be Toriyama's recent UI "design" making me extra annoyed at this approach.
I think Golden Freeza, like SSG, changes enough to the point it can't really be called a simple recolor. The gems on his limbs get smaller, he gets muscle brows and his arms and legs get covered in one more layer of armor (?). It's still underwhelming, but there are subtle changes. Toriyama's UI literally is just a recolor of SSG, and SSB is a recolor of SS.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:56 pm

It's a shame UI was turned into another transformation.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:01 am

KBABZ wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

I personally saw the film as a character exploration for why Frieza sucks by losing AGAIN for the exact same reasons and failing to learn anything, and why dogged revenge mentality is detrimental to one's goals and that you can't just cheat your way up and expect to win. IMO the film is not at all about Goku or Vegeta, but about Frieza and how he's an utter failure of a villain by that point, and I see the film from his perspective as the main character when I watch it. That being said, it has the emotional depth one would expect from a DBZ movie, which is to say, like a puddle.

I much prefer it over Battle of Gods which is basically an expanded version of the Jump special that sets up Super. Worth noting though that I didn't see BoG until earlier this year, so I didn't have any of that "OMG DBZ is back!!" factor since that had already happened.
We already know what Freeza is though, the entire Namek fight is a showcase of his personality, F doesn't show or tell us anything about him we didn't know already. We also know he's ineffectual as a villain, we also got that thanks to his various mistakes on Namek the vs Trunks and the fact he was long since outclassed by follow-up bad guys. There's nothing here. Made all the more annoying by the film trying to frame this as necessary for Goku and Vegeta to work together, which they did already, and the fact ToP brings back Freeza with actual new sides to his personality at play.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:54 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

Did you watch the super version of frieza in ressurection F and in the Tournament of Power?

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Regardless of what anyone says, Golden Freeza will always remain a visually unappealing design, in my opinion. Dark purple and gold don’t go well together at all. If they were going to give Freeza a golden transformation, they should’ve ditched the purple.
The fusion of gold and purple can work out, if done well.

I didn't find anything wrong with the addition of gold to Frieza, except (maybe) that he shares colors with Beerus.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 pm

ABED wrote:It does come off as lazy and if Freeza does in fact have some control over how his new forms appear, then a lazy redesign works on a character level. Sadly, it's not nearly that creative on Toriyama's part considering that's one of the reasons Freeza lost the first time.
Frieza in the next movie will play apart in it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 am

ABED wrote:It's a shame UI was turned into another transformation.
Why? Technique and transformations are basically the same thing, given that Saiyans are all about transformations it makes sense, the same reason they can only use god ki by transforming. Also being a transformation is a means of not making Goku broken.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:It's a shame UI was turned into another transformation.
Why? Technique and transformations are basically the same thing, given that Saiyans are all about transformations it makes sense, the same reason they can only use god ki by transforming. Also being a transformation is a means of not making Goku broken.
Back in the day a technique was closer to a specific and spectacular/unique move rather than a power-boosting transformation, such as the Afterimage or that green lightning Roshi attack. Kaio-Ken sort of straddled the line there.