Favourite Character introduced in the Original Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Favourite Character introduced in the Original Dragon Ball

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 am

Roshi because of his wisdom and martial arts proficiency combined with his perverted antics. The voice actor is a huge part of this. I like the Roshi/Kuririn and Roshi/Buruma relationships, and how he generally interacts well with the whole cast.

Tenshinhan is probably another because the 22nd Budoukai is just wonderful and plus he's the only character in the series who is truly dedicated to the martial arts. His whole life revolves around it. Whenever he's not around in the story, he's off training with Chaozu somewhere.

Lunch is cool because she's such a classic Toriyama character, and knowing Mami Koyama's other roles makes it that much more enjoyable to see her in this one. Plus she sounds like she has a lot of fun with it.

Bulma/Buruma is a good character because she's such an awful person (although less so as time goes on) but still manages to have strong points and be likable.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 am

MyVisionity wrote:Bulma/Buruma
If you want to include alternate names, it should be Bulma/Blooma.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MyVisionity wrote:Bulma/Buruma
If you want to include alternate names, it should be Bulma/Blooma.
"Blooma" is probably the most misleading version of the name that I have seen, in my opinion. Even "Bloomer" or "Bloomers" would probably be more appropriate in this case.

Both "burumaa" and "buruma" are used for the name of clothing. And sometimes, Toriyama just names his characters directly after the source.

Additionally, I could be wrong but I doubt the English name Bloomer/Bloomers has much meaning to the Japanese population, and is probably even more troublesome for international audiences.

ETA: Having said that, I certainly understand the reasoning behind the "Blooma" spelling, and I would have said the same years ago.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:12 pm

Excluding Goku obviously, it has to be either Bulma or Krillin. You just can't think of Dragon Ball without these two into the picture.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 pm

MyVisionity wrote:"Blooma" is probably the most misleading version of the name that I have seen, in my opinion. Even "Bloomer" or "Bloomers" would probably be more appropriate in this case.

Both "burumaa" and "buruma" are used for the name of clothing. And sometimes, Toriyama just names his characters directly after the source.

Additionally, I could be wrong but I doubt the English name Bloomer/Bloomers has much meaning to the Japanese population, and is probably even more troublesome for international audiences.

ETA: Having said that, I certainly understand the reasoning behind the "Blooma" spelling, and I would have said the same years ago.
Her name comes from the English word "Bloomers". But her name isn't Bloomers, it's Bloomer. This is widely-known. Fair enough that you'd say it's better to say Bloomer than Blooma, but I'd say Blooma just looks a little better as a spelling. IDK, Blooma vs Bloomer is semantics, really. Point is that really, her name is Bloomer/Blooma, it's just that Toriyama goofed up in chapter 1, the animators copied it, and the dub and sub guys have never changed it, so we're stuck with "Bulma", which is equivalent to if Trunks was called Tolunkus, or if Bra was called Bulla... :think:

When in the hell does any native English-speaker say "Burumaa" or "Buruma" when referring to bloomers? We're not talking about which name is preferable for a Japanese audience; at best, they don't care, and at worst, they wouldn't be able to read it, but since the show is originally Japanese anyway, they'd mainly just pay attention to the Japanese writing anyway. Thing is, we're talking about names in English. We're not Japanese, and even if we were, saying "Burumaa" makes no sense, since you'd spell it in one of the Japanese writing systems if we were Japanese, so the name doesn't work as a Japanese thing, and it doesn't work as an English thing, so it's not a valid name by any stretch of the imagination. Again, see my example about Trunks.

Ultimately, by all logic, her name should be Bloomer, Blooma, or arguably Bloomers, but we're stuck with Bulma as the primary English name. If you're going to list an alternate name for her when referring to her, you're better off using a more correct name than to just use a direct romanisation of the Japanese writing, since Bulma, Bloomer, and Blooma are all valid romanisations of the Japanese writing anyway, but are infinitely more applicable in English discussion.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Her name comes from the English word "Bloomers".
No, it doesn't. The name for the gym shorts, burumaa (ブルマー)/buruma (ブルマ)/etc. is taken from the English word "Bloomers" from the name "Bloomer".

If you were to take "Buruma" and call it "Bloomers/Bloomer" in the subtitles, the English speaking audiences would most likely have no idea what it refers to without the Japanese context.
Ultimately, by all logic, her name should be Bloomer, Blooma, or arguably Bloomers
None of those names are any more accurate than "Buruma", and like I said before, would probably only mislead an English audience. Unless maybe it was an English dub, and then you'd probably still have problems.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:13 pm

MyVisionity wrote:No, it doesn't. The name for the gym shorts, burumaa (ブルマー)/buruma (ブルマ)/etc. is taken from the English word "Bloomers" from the name "Bloomer".

If you were to take "Buruma" and call it "Bloomers/Bloomer" in the subtitles, the English speaking audiences would most likely have no idea what it refers to without the Japanese context.
Sure, and without the Japanese context, no Japanese pun translates into English at all. In fact, Japanese in general doesn't translate literally into English. "Buruma" and "Bloomers" both refer to a type of garment, and in fact, "Buruma" is taken from "Bloomers", as we both agree on. But, "Buruma" doesn't mean anything at all in English, neither does Bulma, while "Bloomer" does mean something, and something rather close to what it means in Japanese. Granted, it's not literally the exact same meaning as the Japanese term, but that's constantly the case in translation.
More on this below.
MyVisionity wrote:None of those names are any more accurate than "Buruma", and like I said before, would probably only mislead an English audience. Unless maybe it was an English dub, and then you'd probably still have problems.
The logic you're using is pretty much the same as the "All according to keikaku" line of thinking; thing is, that line of thinking is deeply flawed, and widely discredited -- just because a word's meaning in Japanese and the closest equivalent word's meaning in English don't exactly line up, that doesn't mean you should just give up and leave it Japanese, it means you've encountered something every translator deals with constantly, the problem of terms that resist precise translation, but it's a solved problem; the answer is to remember the fact you're dealing with an English audience, not a Japanese one, and render it such that its intended audience is able to garner meaning from it that makes sense, and is reasonably faithful to the original intent. Her name is a pun on some kind of garment, from what I gather it's a type of underwear, and the rest of her family is also named after some form of undergarment(Dr. Briefs, Trunks, Bra), so calling her Blooma works fine.
Calling her Buruma just totally misses the point, in much the same way as "All according to keikaku", and other such silly fansub-isms just throw out some Japanese and expect you to just deal with it.

Whether it's a dub or a sub, the script's job is to allow the listener to understand the intent of what's going on. Throwing out a nonsense term instead of a pretty close term because the pretty close term just isn't quite close enough will just confuse viewers, much like how Death Note's sub track uses "Shinigami", and just expects you to figure out what it means, meanwhile the dub and the "How to use" cards call them "Gods of death". Again, not totally the same meaning, but "Shinigami" isn't a thing to English-speakers, so you just give them something that'll make sense and give them a close enough idea of what it's supposed to mean.

Hm. Lot of Death not examples in this post. I think my lack of wider anime exposure is showing. :lol:

Apologies for drifting off-topic. I have nothing further to say on this subject, so I won't divert things from the original intended topic any further.
(Also, apologies for not responding sooner; been busy, and I thought this deserved a somewhat in-depth response)

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:10 pm

Roshi. I enjoyed the contrast between his serious demeanor when fights are involved and the comic relief he was often a provider of.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:40 am

Robo4900 wrote:the answer is to remember the fact you're dealing with an English audience, not a Japanese one, and render it such that its intended audience is able to garner meaning from it that makes sense, and is reasonably faithful to the original intent.
I'll just end by saying that it may be an English audience, but it's a Japanese anime, and the original Japanese meaning and context should be preserved as faithfully as possible. It's not about any kind of "keikaku" absurdities, it's about respecting the audience and their intelligence.

For an English speaking audience, the term "Bloomers" does not hold any kind of meaning that relates to the original intent, that of the Japanese gym shorts for girls. That's if audiences even recognize the word "Bloomers" to begin with. About the only way I can see it working is if the subtitles included a note somewhere informing the audience of the original Japanese meaning and usage, but I'm not sure how well that would work out.

As for "Blooma", I think I'll leave that one alone...

Thanks for your response!

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 pm

JUST CALL HER BULMA DAMMIT
Get Fucked, C_unt

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:18 pm

This was supposed to be a thread about telling people who your favourite character introduced before DBZ was. :(
I did not intend this thread to explode into an off-topic flame war about how to say a character's name.

Please keep this thread on topic.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:29 pm

Some of Toriyama's name puns are on the nose, some aren't so obvious. I don't feel any pressing need to call her Bloomers or Blooma or Bloomer, just so the audience might get the joke.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:14 pm

At this point it's too late to have some sweeping name messiah to come in and save the DB fandom. Everyone uses different terms for the same thing and we're better accepting it. For example you wouldn't catch me dead spelling it Gokou, but that's just preference to me and I'm not going to try to get someone to spell it otherwise, much like how I don't expect anyone to tell me to quit spelling Frieza with an i.

Anyway, Suno, I stand by Suno.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm all for different spellings and pronunciations of characters and terms.

Except Lord Bills. Bills is just plain nasty.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:36 pm

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER...

USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Yes! Beerus! Accept no substitutes!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 01, 2018 2:56 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER...

USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Yes! Beerus! Accept no substitutes!
Beerus didn't appear in the Kid Goku era?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 am

He isnt even my favorite character at all. I just had to say it that way, because its like some dude frat bro saying FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BEER.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:JUST CALL HER BULMA DAMMIT
SORRY I CAN'T HER YOU COULD YOU SPEAK UP
ABED wrote:Some of Toriyama's name puns are on the nose, some aren't so obvious. I don't feel any pressing need to call her Bloomers or Blooma or Bloomer, just so the audience might get the joke.
Eh. It's a minor pet peeve of mine. I still just call her Bulma, since that's the name used in all English media, I just think they should have originally called her Blooma. But the subs, the manga, and all the dubs caller her Bulma, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AnzuMazaki wrote:This was supposed to be a thread about telling people who your favourite character introduced before DBZ was. :(
I did not intend this thread to explode into an off-topic flame war about how to say a character's name.

Please keep this thread on topic.
I didn't think it was ever a flame-war... Well, aside from Vegeta_Sama's post...

Anyway, I did end my last reply in that line of discussion with "Apologies for drifting off-topic. I have nothing further to say on this subject, so I won't divert things from the original intended topic any further."
The intent being that regardless of what anyone else said, that would be my last word on the subject. And I stand by that. Honestly, even this meta-discussion about it is too tiresome and off-topic my tastes.

So, again, I do apologise for being part of the drift off-topic, but it's not like I didn't try to put an end to that.

For the record, I really like this topic idea. My post in the first page should reflect my enthusiasm for this to some extent. :)

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue May 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:JUST CALL HER BULMA DAMMIT
SORRY I CAN'T HER YOU COULD YOU SPEAK UP
I SAID:JUST CALL HER BULMA DAMMIT!!!
Get Fucked, C_unt

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Other than Goku, probably Kuririn.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.