Goku and Bulma

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Goku and Bulma

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 am

I can't put my finger on why, but I love their dynamic. I feel it's underutilized later in DB's run. What say you all?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Goku and Bulma

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am

I did notic that as DB started to focus more on fighting his interactions with her got less as she couldn't fight so she was usually left behind unlike before where she could go with him such as the 2 times they looked for the dragon balls.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah, even though the interactions become more infrequent as the series progresses (very much limited during the Boo arc for understandable reasons), I like how there's always that mutual understanding between the two. No matter how much time passes, they seem to understand each other better than anyone. I mean, Bulma puts more faith in Goku than she does her own husband to get things done!

I like that little moment on Namek in the anime when Bulma is regretting a bit about passing up Goku because of the way that he turned out. Maybe that's why she was so quick about igniting sparks with Vegeta later on, especially with her knowing that he is/was the Saiya-jin prince.

Taisa732

Post by Taisa732 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:37 am

Yes! Glad I'm not the only one that loves there dynamic.
I always see there relationship like an older sister that constantly has to look after her little brother who is getting into trouble.
If there is one thing I mess during Z is Bulma and Goku's interaction, so glad that Super gave them some attention. Episode 17 is one of my favourite because of how much screen time they have together.
https://twitter.com/Taisa7321

Sorry if my English isn't perfect

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:25 pm

For me the pairing of Goku and Bulma is very much a case of uneducated but outgoing country bumpkin with a strong punch with a knowledgeable but easily scared/grossed out city girl who can't fight for s***.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Goku and Bulma have sensational chemistry. They playoff each other so well. Right off the bat when they first met, they just gelled together so well despite their contrasting attitudes and beliefs. Some of the best personal interactions in Dragon Ball comes from the early chapters of Dragon Ball with Goku and Bulma.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:13 pm

They were like a young brother and an older sister IMO. Very lovable and fun.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:They were like a young brother and an older sister IMO. Very lovable and fun.
This it's why I hate seeing em shipped.

I also actually like better the extended Yamcha/Bulma +Goku trio, ( in which Oolong, Puar and Kuririn can be added on to.)

Like a little family, or group of siblings. Kuririn got to keep in Goku's orbit but Yamcha suffered by Toriyama splitting up of Yamcha/Bulma so he could use her to breed super saiyans. Puar went with Yamcha and Oolong was both sidelined during this process by not being a fighter or a scientist and so on...

But yeah I like a lot if super characters actually like Beerus, but to me the Dragonball gang will always be.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4114/4864 ... 0069_b.jpg
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

TobyS wrote:But yeah I like a lot if super characters actually like Beerus, but to me the Dragonball gang will always be.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4114/4864 ... 0069_b.jpg
That's how I feel too. For me, the Dragon Ball Gang is Goku, Bulma, Master Roshi, Oolong, Yamcha, Puar, Krillin, Launch, Tien and Chiaotzu (with the minor addition of Turtle). You can add Gohan too thanks to the Namek arc. The Z Warriors is a different but still connected group of explicit fighters rather than adventurers, who are made up of Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Modern Trunks and Goten, with the possible addition of Master Roshi. For me they were first "formed" in the Daimao arc, but we obviously know them best from Saiyan onwards.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:26 pm

I feel the dynamic became incredibly underutilized in Z, especially once she got with Vegeta. There are a few instances when we're reminded of the relationship, but she's literally his first friend ever, and their interactions as such happen so infrequent that people often forget it.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Son Perfect

Post by Son Perfect » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm

It's a shame Vegeta came in the picture. I felt if Toriyama kept Goku 14 from the start, he could have had a potential relationship with Bulma. Maybe the little monkey boy could been tamed by the spoiled city girl. ;^)
I love Gohan a bit too much...

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 pm

I’ve always loved these two interacting. When Goku is young, it’s such an awesome contrast to see a city girl with this wild savage. Bulma is definitely not the best person, but she improves over the course of the series which I like to see reflected in how she interacts. They definitely have a sibling type relationship.

Having said that though, I wouldn’t have been opposed if they’d wound up together romantically either. Any time they play off one another, it’s awesome so it just would have been another fun situation to watch. Personally, as crazy as Bulma can get, I always thought she showed more respect to Goku than ChiChi but that’s a whole other topic.

Bulma having been Goku’s first human contact/friend outside his grandfather gives her a special type of bond I think, at least on some level.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Yeah, it’s definitely a great dynamic. The shipping wouldn’t make sense at all—especially her being older and already super worldly compared to Goku when they met... it would almost be creepy. And I really like Goku’s reluctant naive marriage as is.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:01 pm

She's older, but only by 4 years. Not saying they make for a great couple, though.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:54 pm

I maintain the idea that Goku accompanying Bulma as she attends high school would make for at the VERY least a fun side-story.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Like TFS said in one of their DBcember countdowns, the whole franchise started with these two.

Besides Krillin, Bulma is arguably Goku's most beloved best friend.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Like TFS said in one of their DBcember countdowns, the whole franchise started with these two.

Besides Krillin, Bulma is arguably Goku's most beloved best friend.
Kuririn is his best friend, Bulma is his oldest friend. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.