Why hasn't Toriyama paid his taxes yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Why hasn't Toriyama paid his taxes yet?

Post by DB1984 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I read on GameFAQs that he has yet to do so. I fear that failure to do so will land his ass in jail.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why hasn't Toriyama paid his taxes yet?

Post by Gligarman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm not convinced even jail could stop him from making a deadline.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm

I dunno, why dont you pay yours lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Any source from this place on Gamefaqs? I remember this coming up a while back, but I never saw if there was any resolution. I'd be interested to see what's come up since then.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 am

He gave the world the gift of DB so why should he ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 am

Dude has rights to even evade death-call from God of Death (Yama) himself for gifting one of mankind's greatest possesion: DragonBall

Like really. How much he gotta pay anyway? 10,000 yen max?

He could do it with 1 eye closed.

Better yet. Kanzenshuu, DBZF, TOEI, Bandai should pay everythin right from his tax to daily ramen for his contributions towards DB manga & anime. Jk lol

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:25 am

A lot of context is being lost and grossly reduced down here. It's not that "Toriyama didn't pay his taxes"; it's that he is someone named in the Paradise Papers, leaked documents outlining offshore financial accounts and other miscellaneous business information. As a somewhat reasonable condensed explanation, it's being alleged that Toriyama has investments that are not being reported properly, if at all, that may or may not be generating income that may or may not have the appropriate and legal taxes taken out of or otherwise accounted for correctly.

Crunchyroll summed up this part well enough:
Crunchyroll wrote:According to sources, Toriyama had invested in an American company that specialized in real estate, specifically leveraging borrowed money to purchase 2nd hand apartments. The company came under fire in 2005 when federal tax authorities determined that their methods of accounting (which involved declaring losses through property value depreciation) didn't meet proper regulatory standards. A Supreme Court case in 2015 ruled that investors could be held liable to pay taxes on these investments.
Thus far, Toriyama's response has been a dismissive/defensive "I leave tax stuff up to others", distancing himself from direct responsibility (this is the part that Crunchyroll didn't quite nail / clarify well enough).
Vijay wrote:Like really. How much he gotta pay anyway? 10,000 yen max?
10,000 yen is about $100.

In a 1982 article, as Dr. Slump is still only just kicking into high gear and the press is starting to become aware of him, it was noted that Toriyama brought in 539,240,000 yen (roughly $2,275,625 US at the time). Of that, about 430 million was taken out in taxes, leaving him with a little over 100 million yen (roughly $422,006 at the time).

So no, here in 2018 we are not talking about $100.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am

When you and me evade our taxes we go to jail for a criminal offense. When the wealthy evade their taxes its called 'tax havens'. Toriyama's always had the feeling of being as harmless as a fly however, so I don't think this was anything he did on his part outside of sheer ignorance but I do hope he makes the situation right and pays his taxes to society. Having so much wealth horded by so few people is terrible for the economy.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am

JulieYBM wrote:When you and me evade our taxes we go to jail for a criminal offense. When the wealthy evade their taxes its called 'tax havens'.
No. Tax havens are simply places with low or no taxes that may or may not have bank/finantial secrecy.

Tax evasion is a criminal offense to everyone and anyone can go to jail (or get the respective punishment from the country in question) for it, be it rich or poor.

In any case, what others do or don't, get away with or not, doesn't excuse one's own actions.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Why should we even care? The only thing I want out of Toriyama is more DB content, not the knowlege that he pays or does not pay taxes.
Get Fucked, C_unt

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 pm

This is the same guy who once said he would want to peep on his daughter while she bathes so you tell me why you expect such an amoral guy would avoid taxes

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:This is the same guy who once said he would want to peep on his daughter while she bathes so you tell me why you expect such an amoral guy would avoid taxes
Head shot my friend!

I wouldnt exactly describe him as "amoral". Pervert fer sure.

To think dude was left with over 100 million yen back in 80's with Dr. Slump....just think how many islands dude would've bought with DB/Z.

And dude still lives in Japan.

If it was me, would've travelled to 3rd World like M'sia, Thailand & save my money for nother 3 generations

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Since Toriyama likes to make characters based on his life and thoughts, where is my villain based on his tax evasion??
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 pm

Who can only be beaten by the newest and most powerful Super Saiyan Form!

SUPER ACCOUNTANT!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:23 am

Logania wrote:Since Toriyama likes to make characters based on his life and thoughts, where is my villain based on his tax evasion??
Freeza is in the ballpark:
Akira Toriyama, Daizenshuu 2 Super Interview wrote:Having become the strongest on the Earth, Goku and co. had also beat the Saiyans who came from outside of Earth and then they went out into the universe. I came up with Freeza around the time of the Bubble, and the land shark was the worst person of all. So I made him the #1 land shark in the universe.
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Why should we even care? The only thing I want out of Toriyama is more DB content, not the knowlege that he pays or does not pay taxes.
It's natural to hope that the people who create the things you love are in fact themselves good, decent human beings. We don't expect them to be infallible, but we also don't want the other extreme (see: Nobuhiro Watsuki).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:51 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:This is the same guy who once said he would want to peep on his daughter while she bathes so you tell me why you expect such an amoral guy would avoid taxes
When did he say that?

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:58 pm

He said that in 1987, before he even had any children of his own.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Who can only be beaten by the newest and most powerful Super Saiyan Form!

SUPER ACCOUNTANT!
I bet that we will see that form in the new Dragon Ball Super movie.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:42 am

Seems kind of petty to bring up other things he (allegedly) said or did in a thread like this. IMO.

With this, it's hard to say how much foreknowledge Toriyama actually had. On one hand, if he knew about it he isn't likely to say. On the other, the guy draws (or drew) cartoons for a living, does he seem like a financial wolf in sheep's clothing?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:A lot of context is being lost and grossly reduced down here. It's not that "Toriyama didn't pay his taxes"; it's that he is someone named in the Paradise Papers, leaked documents outlining offshore financial accounts and other miscellaneous business information.
So he was named in the Paradise Papers. For some reason, I always think of Toriyama to be better than that, but money alone can corrupt an individual.
On the other, the guy draws (or drew) cartoons for a living, does he seem like a financial wolf in sheep's clothing?
I don't think we should give someone a free pass because people would have a positive bias towards his profession as being harmless compared to politicians. He has a duty to his country like anyone else does.
JulieYBM wrote:When you and me evade our taxes we go to jail for a criminal offense. When the wealthy evade their taxes its called 'tax havens'.
This is truer than we realize. You should check out Bill Still's documentary on the Money Masters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBk5XV1ExoQ). I would say that money can buy freedom. Heck, we have plenty of these issues now coming to light and yet still nothing is done to the rich and powerful. The moment a pleb evades taxes they have no chance in the eyes of the law. When they want someone in jail like Al Capone, they get them by taxes; otherwise, the wealthy walk free from their crimes.
Do you remember the original source of this quote?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada