General dubbing debate thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

General dubbing debate thread

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Because talking about Funi vs Ocean can be so much fun
TheBlackPaladin wrote:, but perhaps discussions about the Ocean dub in general would best be served by taking place on its own thread, and not a thread devoted to the Ocean dub of Kai. If we keep this thread devoted to the original subject--the Ocean dub of Kai--then it'll be easier to keep track of developments on that front.

So yeaaah if there's one thing that Dragon Ball doesn't lack its a buttload of different English dubs.

Dragon Ball (Harmony Gold)
*Only aired in select test markets.
*Only dubbed the first and third movie but used footage of the second movie in its opening
*Kept the Japanese music but the opening lyrics are completely different and not a translation "ZERRRROO IS OUR HERRRRRO
*Basically changed all the names,none of which stuck except Master Roshi
* Had a looooot of future Saban Entertainment voice actors like most of the cast ended up on Power Rangers or Digimon or both

Dragon Ball (BLT dub)
*Produced by Funimation, dubbed by Ocean Group, and distributed by BLT productions
* Featured a brand new opening with new lyrics and new BGM
*Only dubbed the Shenron saga and the Curse of the Blood Rubies movie
*Aired in syndication at the dead hours of the morning. I think fared better on its home video release
* Polka dot panties were too hot for tv but solid pink panties are censorship-approved

Dragon Ball (in-house Funi dub)
* First full english dub of Dragon Ball
*Kept the Japanese BGM (a first for Funimation) and the opening and ending songs were more or less a translation of the Japanese opening
*First 13 episodes pretty much used the same script as the BLT dub

Dragon Ball (Blue Water dub)
*Produced by Westwood recorded by Ocean Groups budget friendly sister studios Blue Water in Calgary, Alberta, Canada for the UK and Canada

Dragon Ball Z (Syndicated dub)
*Produced by Funimation, distributed by Saban, and recorded by Ocean studios in Canada
*Despite Funimation being the company behind it is known more as the Saban dub or Ocean dub
*Edited the first 67 episodes down to 53 plus aired the 3rd movie as 3 edited tv episodes in the middle of its Namek arc
*Infamous for its censorship including the next dimension , empty buildings, Nameks with respiratory issues, and parachutes
*Aired in syndication before getting picked up by Toonami
*Replacement score by Ron Wasserman of Power Rangers fame
*Originally had dvd distribution by Pioneer before getting a limited boxset release as Rock the Dragon set

Dragon Ball Z (Pioneer movies)
*First 3 movies
*Produced by Pioneer in association with Funimation and recorded by Ocean studios
*Until Kai was the closest Dragon Ball english dub. First to keep the Japanese music

Dragon Ball Z (In-house Funimation dub)
*Picked up where the Saban dub left off with Funimations own dubbing studio and local cast.
*Featured replacement score by Bruce Faulconer
* Saw much less censorship due to Toonami's more lax standards
*Later redubbed the first 67 episodes "uncut" with music by Nathan Johnson and an opening on Toonami that wanted to see how many kids it could send to the hospital with epilepsy. Also redubbed the first 3 movies with Mark Menza music because Funimation wanted to fuck up the first thing they did right
*The dub most people are talking about when talking about Dragon Ball Z's dub
*Finally retained the Japanese music (as an option) with the Orange Brick release but inexplicably does not use Head Cha La as opening but retains Zenkai Power as an ending

Dragon Ball Z movies (AB group dub)
*Big Green

Dragon Ball Z (Westwood dub)
*Alternate English dub produced by Westwood using Ocean Studios cast
*Instead of picking up where Ocean studios left out inexplicably start dubbing where Funimation was at skipping the rest of the Namek saga, the Garlic JR saga, and the Trunk saga
*Used recycled music from Monster Rancher and Megaman
*Never saw a home video release mostly keeps awareness of its existence in uploaded Youtube videos

Dragon Ball GT (Blue Water dub)
*Same cast as Dragon Ball's Blue Water dub.
*Closer to the script than Funimation''s dub

Dragon Ball GT (Funimaton)
*Initially skipped the first 16 episodes for being too Dragon Ball innnnnnn SPAAAAAACE and not enough Dragon Ball Z: The New Adventures
*STEP INTO THE GRAND TOUR GRAAAAND TOUR.

Dragon Ball Z Kai (Funimation)
*First dub of Funimaton's to be faithful to the Japanese script
*Uncut dvd release, edited for broadcast release aired on Nicktoons
*Mostly the same cast as Funimation's in-house Z dub but saw Freeza, Gohan, Android 18 and Bulma getting replacements (for better or worse depending on where you stand)
*Saiyan and Freeza saga keep the Yamamoto score, Android and Cell saga use the Kikuchi replacement track. Later DVD releases also use the Kikuchi tracks for the first 52 episodes. Nicktoons airing continued to use the Yamamoto score up until about the time Androids 17 and 18 appear

Dragon Ball Z Kai (Toonzai)
*Literally its just the Funimation Kai dub edited to HFIL and back
*Often falsely claimed by people on the internet to have been dubbed by 4KIDS even though its still using Funimation cast
*Makes the Saban dub look edgier by comparison with its willingness to have a minstrel show on kids television, and dismembered alien insect limbs being eaten and halos over dead people's heads
*Believes that dead bodies are still able to breath and moan

Dragon Ball Z Kai (Ocean dub)
*Replaced Miroku as the voice of Goku with Inuyasha
*Allegedly sidestepped the whole Yamamoto scandal with just producing itsown dub score
*May or may not see the light of day

Dragon Ball Super (Bang Zoom)
*Alternate English dub produced in California for Southeast Asia and India

Dragon Ball Super (Funimation)
*Oh my god they got OG Vegeta voicing evil clone Vegeta

Which dubs have you seen? Which do you enjoy? Which do you hate with every fiber of your being? Who did it better Funimation or Ocean or Blue Water?

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Re: General dubbing debate thread

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Is this thread exclusively about English dubs?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Bajosexto wrote:Is this thread exclusively about English dubs?
I mean I heard the Spanish dub was pretty dope

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 pm

Maybe "General English dubbing debate thread" would be a more appropriate title due to many here growing up with dubs of other languages. Unless your intention is for all dubs to be included.

Anyway, my current favorite English dub is Dragon Ball Z Kai, specifically episodes 1-98, and tied for first is the 3 uncut Ocean movies which I've recently re-watched. I guess I give Kai the slight edge just due to it being the original story and not non-canon movies. But that has nothing to do with quality voice acting of course. Kai TFC was still respectable but they started to be less and less accurate with the script, which started with Battle of Gods and carried over to Resurrection F (which was technically dubbed much later than TFC) and now Super.

While there's no dub I have any hatred towards, since you asked, the one I'm most disappointed with is Super's Funimation dub. It's been quite the debate in certain threads, but I personally am not a huge fan of some of the dialogue changes. Some will argue that it doesn't alter the overall story, but I argue it does by altering the characters. Vegeta making sarcastic meme comments about Yamcha, calling Bulma "babe", calling himself "the star of this show", etc. are all things that I feel are out of character. Not to mention unnecessary changes like how they changed Magetta to something like a text-to-speech robot. It's not as bad as the changes in earlier English dubs, most notably Funi's scripts for Z, but it's more disappointing because with Kai it seemed like they were going a different direction but now they've reverted things backwards a bit.

And, while I don't have hatred towards Funi's Ocean dub scripts or their in house dub (or their scores), I still have a hard time tolerating the fanbase it's formed that automatically hates/insults Nozawa, Kikuchi, etc. without giving any of it a real chance. But, I try not to be too critical, as I used to be that way, and also there are many fans that love things like Faulconer the most but are respectful towards the original show. Like DBZfan94 for instance.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:56 pm

According to my newspapers.com research, it would appear that the Harmony Gold dub only aired in a total of two markets: Philadelphia for the combined edit of movies 1 and 3 during Christmas weekend 1989, and in Detroit for the five "test episodes" of the series during the first week of 1990.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
It was. It had overall good acting and was pretty faithful. But I'm guessing you ment the Spanish Latin American/Mexican dub and not the actual Spanish dub from Spain. Because those are two separate dubs for two different regions.

"Which dubs have you seen? Which do you enjoy?"

The only dub I've actually watched is the Latin American/Mexican dub. I mean I've watched clips of various foreign dubs online (FUNi dub, Spanish dub, French dub, Brazilian dub, etc) but the only one I've actually watched for more than a couple of minutes is the Latin American dub.

One thing I feel like I have to mention is that while I am a BIG fan of the Latin American dub of Dragon Ball Z (grew up watching it over and over and over) I've actually never watched the LatAm dub of Dragon Ball. Or GT for that matter. Oh and Super. Cure Dragon would be disappointed in me haha. After watching Dragon Ball in Japanese, and only in Japanese, I just don't feel like watching it dubbed. Which is weird because I'm a very pro dub. And even though it has great performances from Jesus Colin as Kame-sen'nin and Carlos Segundo as Piccolo Daimao, I just don't feel like watching it. But I don't know. Maybe I'll watch the LatAm Dragon Ball dub later.

"Which do you hate with every fiber of your being?"

While I don't hate the FUNimation dub(s) or it's actors, I do hate the image of Dragon Ball it left in the English speaking community. From the simple things like the mispronounciation of Saiyan and Goku. To the big changes like replacing the original music and altering dialogue and personalities. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have sub vs dub wars today if FUNi had done a good and faithful job since the beginning. That said I do appreciate how faithful FUNi is to the source material nowadays. But... I still disagree with some of the liberties they take.

"Who did it better Funimation or Ocean or Blue Water?"

I can't really answer this since I haven't watched any of these, but if i had to guess I'd probably say FUNimation. Specially now that FUNi dubbed Kai and Super.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:03 am

I am honestly so curious about the westwood dub I have seen clips here and there on youtube but would love to be able to watch more full length episodes. Am I the only one who feels a little bit like I stepped into an alternate universe when I hear bits of the westwood dub? I mean all the voices are so familiar but it's just not quite right sorta like the mandela effect lol. I just love all those Canadian voice actors I really feel like I missed out not getting to see it back in the day.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 am

Bajosexto wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
It was. It had overall good acting and was pretty faithful. But I'm guessing you ment the Spanish Latin American/Mexican dub and not the actual Spanish dub from Spain. Because those are two separate dubs for two different regions.

"Which dubs have you seen? Which do you enjoy?"

The only dub I've actually watched is the Latin American/Mexican dub. I mean I've watched clips of various foreign dubs online (FUNi dub, Spanish dub, French dub, Brazilian dub, etc) but the only one I've actually watched for more than a couple of minutes is the Latin American dub.

One thing I feel like I have to mention is that while I am a BIG fan of the Latin American dub of Dragon Ball Z (grew up watching it over and over and over) I've actually never watched the LatAm dub of Dragon Ball. Or GT for that matter. Oh and Super. Cure Dragon would be disappointed in me haha. After watching Dragon Ball in Japanese, and only in Japanese, I just don't feel like watching it dubbed. Which is weird because I'm a very pro dub. And even though it has great performances from Jesus Colin as Kame-sen'nin and Carlos Segundo as Piccolo Daimao, I just don't feel like watching it. But I don't know. Maybe I'll watch the LatAm Dragon Ball dub later.

"Which do you hate with every fiber of your being?"

While I don't hate the FUNimation dub(s) or it's actors, I do hate the image of Dragon Ball it left in the English speaking community. From the simple things like the mispronounciation of Saiyan and Goku. To the big changes like replacing the original music and altering dialogue and personalities. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have sub vs dub wars today if FUNi had done a good and faithful job since the beginning. That said I do appreciate how faithful FUNi is to the source material nowadays. But... I still disagree with some of the liberties they take.

"Who did it better Funimation or Ocean or Blue Water?"

I can't really answer this since I haven't watched any of these, but if i had to guess I'd probably say FUNimation. Specially now that FUNi dubbed Kai and Super.
Why would I be dissapointed? You didnt do anything wrong haha.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:24 am

Whenever I'm stressed & needed some good LOL, I'd switch to Speedy & Funi Dub

Those 2 would leave me in splits within seconds, instantly making me forget whatever tension/headache I had prior

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:53 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Which dubs have you seen? Which do you enjoy? Which do you hate with every fiber of your being? Who did it better Funimation or Ocean or Blue Water?
Growing up watching the series on UK TV I saw the Saban Ocean dub, the Funimation inhouse dub, the Westwood Ocean dub, Blue Water DB and GT, the Big Green movies, and Funimation Kai. I've also seen all the other Funimation dubs and the Ocean movies through home releases.

I enjoy the Saban dub for it's mostly great acting and the Ron Wasserman score. I also enjoy the Funimation Z dub for the Faulconer score, the voices themselves, the dialogue in certain scenes like Kaioken x20, and the pretty decent performances it offered as the series progressed. I enjoy Kai for being really well acted, the Yamamoto score, the pacing, and just the fact that it's a nice accurate alternative to watch from time to time. And I like the Ocean movies too.

I've really never liked the Westwood dub outside of the Fusion and Kid Buu Sagas where they started using Monster Rancher music. The Megaman music is downright terrible in how repetitive it is and makes me feel like going to sleep. And the performances don't even come close to the earlier Ocean dubs. To me the performances in this dub are worse than Season 3 Funimation.

The Blue Water dubs weren't that well acted either but did keep the original score, which is much better than Megaman music. Blue Water GT in particular suffered from bad casting for Adult Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Piccolo.

Overall Funimation have done it better, but Ocean could potentially do just as good or maybe better given the right opportunity.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:24 am

90sDBZ wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Which dubs have you seen? Which do you enjoy? Which do you hate with every fiber of your being? Who did it better Funimation or Ocean or Blue Water?
Growing up watching the series on UK TV I saw the Saban Ocean dub, the Funimation inhouse dub, the Westwood Ocean dub, Blue Water DB and GT, the Big Green movies, and Funimation Kai. I've also seen all the other Funimation dubs and the Ocean movies through home releases.
Neat, I wasn't even aware most of those alternative dubs existed for the longest time.

Hell, for the longest time I didn't even know/remember Ocean did their own Dragon Ball dub for the 13 episodes/1st movie and only remembered the theme song " Gotta find those Draaaagoon Baaaallls Goku! He's gonna show you!" "and my memory mixed up that theme song with the Funi redub.

Overall Funimation have done it better, but Ocean could potentially do just as good or maybe better given the right opportunity.
I maintain that the Funimation dub of Z is fundamentally broken mostly because of the voice acting being all over the place thanks to redubbing the first 67 episodes but only Sabat (I think?) bothering to redub his lines for the rest of Namek while viewers have to suffer from Schemmel being at his peak (until Kai) to being at his lowest point within an episode but at the end of the day it's still a whole product with a consistent voice cast for all 291 episodes and 13 movies (not counting Battle of Gods and Resurrection F which just feeel more like Kai movies to me as far as the US is concerned) and even if there was 3 different composers the Mark Menza, Nathan Johnson, Bruce Faulconer music all at least fits in the same tone (and if you watch it with the original Japanese music that's avoided anyways).

By contrast with Ocean you either have to switch to Funimation from Ginyu Assault- Mystery Revealed or you just have skip a large segment of the series. Even then, the Saban dub portion and Westwood dub portion feel so different to me from what little I've watched of the Westwood dub. The Wasserman music and the Megaman/Monster Rancher stuff couldn't be more different.

On the other hand the Ocean dub of the first 3 movies with Pioneer blows the Funimation redubs out of the water and I'm annoyed Funimation even bothered to redub them as there was far less of a reason to do so then when they redubbed the first 67.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:52 am

I've seen the Funimation dubs of DB, Z, GT, Kai, the Ocean and Westwood dubs of Z, the first three Z movies and the original series., the Big Green dubs of the movies and the Blue Water stuff.

The Funimation dub of Z is terrible with that hardcore Faulconer music and horrible voice acting. Unlike what many people think, I don't think the dub for the Buu Saga isn't anything amazing. While there were some improvements here and there, they weren't major improvements in my opinion. The only voices that I really liked in the DBZ Funimation dub were Dabura, Cell, Dr. Gero, Supreme Kai, Android 17, Android 18, Gohan, Videl and Babidi.

Their dubs of DB and GT are much better, but that doesn't mean they are good IMO. I used to like Nadolny as Kid Gohan, but as time passes, the more I realize that she isn't that talented of an actress. One thing I utterly loathe about the Funimation dub of GT is how Goku turns into an extreme superhero everytime he turns into a Super Saiyan 4. I dislike how overly gruff Sabat sounds as Vegeta and King Piccolo in these dubs. His Piccolo actually sounded okay-ish at times in GT.

Funimation's dub of Kai is basically what they should have had from the start. Well-written scripts and great voice acting, even though I still think some voices should have been replaced.

The Saban-Ocean dub, even though it's painfully censored and edited, written badly and has replacement music, is pretty enjoyable to me. Aside from a few voices, the voice acting is pretty good, Scott McNeil's Piccolo and Brian Drummond's Vegeta being the highlights. The best work Ocean's ever done on Dragon Ball though is their dubs of the first three DBZ movies. Those dubs really prove that Ocean can give genuine performances as these great characters. Their Westwood dub is a step down from their work on the Saiyan-Namek sagas and the movies because that dub was very rushed. There were still some good performances from Brian Drummond, Scott McNeil, Saffron Henderson, Kirby Morrow and Brad Swaile. Their Ocean dub of Kai hasn't come out yet, but if it does, I'm eager to see how it compares to the Funimation dub.

The BLT dub is just like the Saban dub to me.

The Big Green dubs are very, very bad, but also enjoyable.

Blue Water's dub of GT is terrible, even worse than Funimation. I'll give it credit for having accurate scripts and the original Japanese score though. Their DB dub is far better though, although still isn't great.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I maintain that the Funimation dub of Z is fundamentally broken mostly because of the voice acting being all over the place thanks to redubbing the first 67 episodes but only Sabat (I think?) bothering to redub his lines for the rest of Namek while viewers have to suffer from Schemmel being at his peak (until Kai) to being at his lowest point within an episode
Yeah, what's even funnier to me about the Z 1-67 redub is that Sabat's Vegeta regressed from his Boo arc performance. I don't love the Boo performance but it got worse in the redub somehow. The inconsistency of, not the actors, but how the actors changed the voices for their characters over the course of 1-291 is really, really jarring.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't think the dub for the Buu Saga is anything amazing.
Agreed. I heard quite a few people questioning Kai TFC's existence due to the Boo performances being pretty good and wondered if they'd even heard those performances in a while.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Funimation's dub of Kai is basically what they should have had from the start. Well-written scripts and great voice acting, even though I still think some voices should have been replaced.
Out of curiosity, who do you think should have been replaced? It's fine if the list is long, I'm just curious.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:04 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Funimation's dub of Kai is basically what they should have had from the start. Well-written scripts and great voice acting, even though I still think some voices should have been replaced.
Forte224 wrote:Out of curiosity, who do you think should have been replaced? It's fine if the list is long, I'm just curious.
King Kai
Kami
Jeice (I like Liebrecht, but he just sounded way too annoying in this role)
Recoome
Master Roshi
Chi-Chi
Tien Shinhan (ABED would kill me for saying this)
Yamcha
Future Trunks (Maybe...)
Majin Buu
Ox-King
Vegeta (Maybe...)
If the voice actresses hadn't changed their voices, I would have added Kid Trunks and Kid Goten to the list. Thankfully, they did change their voices. Kid Goten's raspy voice never really meld with his personality.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Out of curiosity, who do you think should have been replaced? It's fine if the list is long, I'm just curious.
King Kai
Kami
Recoome
Master Roshi
Chi-Chi
Yamcha
Future Trunks (Maybe...)
Majin Buu
Ox-King
Vegeta (Maybe...)
If the voice actresses hadn't changed their voices, I would have added Kid Trunks and Kid Goten to the list. Thankfully, they did change their voices. Kid Goten's raspy voice never really meld with his personality.
Ha, ABED's a fan of John Burgmeier, eh? I like his performance, too, I gotta say.

I like your list though. If Sabat had kept his Vegeta voice the way it was in Kai 1-98 I would've been happy but these days I do kinda wish Vegeta had been recast. Actually, considering how well they hit the mark with Gohan and Freeza's recasting I'd be really interested to see who they could've come up with to voice Vegeta, too.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Forte224 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
King Kai
Kami
Recoome
Master Roshi
Chi-Chi
Yamcha
Future Trunks (Maybe...)
Majin Buu
Ox-King
Vegeta (Maybe...)
Ha, ABED's a fan of John Burgmeier, eh? I like his performance, too, I gotta say.

I like your list though. If Sabat had kept his Vegeta voice the way it was in Kai 1-98 I would've been happy but these days I do kinda wish Vegeta had been recast. Actually, considering how well they hit the mark with Gohan and Freeza's recasting I'd be really interested to see who they could've come up with to voice Vegeta, too.
I do think that he's better than the Ocean and Big Green guys though.

Troy Baker would have been excellent as Vegeta if Sabat had stepped down from the role, and if Sabat had stepped down from Piccolo, Travis Willingham would have been my pick.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Troy Baker, eh? Hmm, he's one of those actors where no matter what role he's in, I can always clearly tell it's him. Kind of like Sabat, which is distracting to me. I think I'd prefer an out of nowhere pick that ends up fitting the character like a glove. Like Chris Ayres for Freeza. Maybe that was lightning in a bottle though.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:23 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Is terrible with that hardcore Faulconer music and horrible voice acting. Unlike what many people think, I don't think the dub for the Buu Saga isn't anything amazing.
Did people think the Buu saga was amazing? I thought the general consensus was that it was "less awful" but not really good. Around the time of the Buu saga that was when Funimation started stepping up their game as a dubbing company with their other properties, no? So DBZ still stood out like a bleeding thumb.
I used to like Nadolny as Kid Gohan, but as time passes, the more I realize that she isn't that talented of an actress.
I cannot stand her Kid Gohan and was glad she was recast by Colleen Clinkenbeard. Do all 5 years old have smoking problem where she's from?

Her Kid Goku worked alright though.

One thing I utterly loathe about the Funimation dub of GT is how Goku turns into an extreme superhero everytime he turns into a Super Saiyan 4. I dislike how overly gruff Sabat sounds as Vegeta and King Piccolo in these dubs. His Piccolo actually sounded okay-ish at times in GT.
Comparing Buu era Piccolo to Kai's Piccolo and the improvement is AMAZING. I think because even by Buu saga Sabat still had remnants of the trying to imitate Scott Mcneil that started in season 3 (where as he completely dropped any pretense of trying to mimic Drummond by like the Cell saga?) but Kai he basically did its own thing and while its not better (because Scott Mcneil's voice is one of the coolest things every) it stands on its own as a good fitting voice.

I hated Sabat's King Piccolo voice in Dragon Ball because it's just his Vegeta voice.

The Saban-Ocean dub, even though it's painfully censored and edited, written badly and has replacement music, is pretty enjoyable to me. Aside from a few voices, the voice acting is pretty good, Scott McNeil's Piccolo and Brian Drummond's Vegeta being the highlights.
The censorship could get annoying especially by the time the Saiyans arrived (you can destroy buildings without reminding people every 5 seconds nobody was in there Jesus H. Christ nobody is gonna care) and when they got on Namek but the voice acting was top notch, the show was still fun on its own, and the Wasserman score was still completely inferior to Kikuchi and Yamamoto was decent enough. (Could have used some MMPR style insert songs though)
The best work Ocean's ever done on Dragon Ball though is their dubs of the first three DBZ movies.
Their work on the first 3 movies made me wish Pioneer had taken over dubbing. Who wrote the screen play adaptation for the movies? It wasn't Funimation's people was it? God imagine Dragon Ball Z with the Ocean cast on fire, the Kikuchi score intact, and little to no censorship.
Those dubs really prove that Ocean can give genuine performances as these great characters.
Their performances were good in the Saban era too, I think it was just nice because the more faithful movie dubs had a lot less hyuck hyuck style Saturday Morning Kids cartoons humor.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Ward Perry, the guy who voiced Turles and Dr. Wheelo, did the scripts for the three movies.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Ah. Shame he didn't write for the series (as far as I am aware?) true there still would have been the censorship issue that were unavoidable but at least the scripts might have been nice otherwise.