Original funimation dvds (early 2000s)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

yoshida93

Original funimation dvds (early 2000s)

Post by yoshida93 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 am

Hello I have recently acquired all of the original dvd singles including the movies and they do say that they are uncut on the cover but I want to make sure. So my question is, were the dvd singles ever released in edited format? Thanks

Blondiebear_17

Re: Original funimation dvds (early 2000s)

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:39 am

Only the pioneer dvds are edited.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:29 am

I know thar I'm the least, "Cooler's Revenge" exists in an edited DVD format. I'm not sure what there is to make sure about; it says on the front that they're uncut. The original video and Japanese audio are not edited, and the subtitles of the Japanese version are very close to being accurate.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:35 am

I thought they were only released uncut on dvd and just edited for broadcast on Toonami? By season 3 wasn't the English dub of Dragon Ball Z hitting home video well before their airing on tv? I definitely feel like I remember VHS/DVDS for the tournament saga being available before the episodes on Toonami aired.

Excluding the Pioneer release of the first 53 episodes

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:56 am

I know at least movies 4-6 were released on DVD in an edited, dub-only form. There was a boxset of those movies, and my mom got them for me one Christmas, not realizing what they were. When I returned them to get the uncut version of the box, and it was more expensive, I had to pay the overage.

But as for the series itself, no, there were never any edited DVDs once they moved production in-house. Only the VHS had separate uncut and edited released.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But as for the series itself, no, there were never any edited DVDs once they moved production in-house. Only the VHS had separate uncut and edited released.
This is correct, though it is worth noting that there are some minor edits in the "Uncut" footage if you're watching dubbed. In the Ginyu Assault DVD, when Bulma has her mini flashback to when she first met Goku, the image of him in the bath is edited so you can't see his junk.

Additionally, the dub track for Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle uses the 1995 dub's opening and ending songs instead of Makafushigi Adventure and Romantic Ageru Yo.

Nice job scoring these DVDs though, yoshida93; you now own the best complete releases of the franchise that aren't the Dragon Boxes. Granted, you're stuck with the replacement music for Z and GT's dub tracks, but the dub track for Z is much better than the modern DVDs/BDs, and the picture quality on all three is miles ahead of what you get on the modern releases.
So, well done.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Blondiebear_17 wrote:Only the pioneer dvds are edited.
That only applies to the series proper though. The movies are uncut, and the dub on them is the best for DBZ movies 1-2... and maybe 3 as well if you don't prefer the less accurate but slightly more enthusiastic and still-more-accurate-than-Ultimate-Uncut Saban dub.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 pm

The first Broly movie has an edited version on DVD, I know that because I bought it thinking it was the Uncut version.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

yoshida93

Post by yoshida93 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:23 am

Ok so the series didnt get an edited release. But as for the movies, some were released edited. Can anybody tell me how i can confirm my dvds are uncut. Like which content was left out in the edited versions, blood? I'm watching the movies and so far there isnt any cursing but there is blood. If there is blood does that mean it is the uncut version?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:31 pm

yoshida93 wrote:Ok so the series didnt get an edited release. But as for the movies, some were released edited. Can anybody tell me how i can confirm my dvds are uncut. Like which content was left out in the edited versions, blood? I'm watching the movies and so far there isnt any cursing but there is blood. If there is blood does that mean it is the uncut version?
Do you still have the boxes for the DVDs?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:50 pm

For the movies, probably the easiest way to tell if they're uncut is if they have the Japanese track on them...assuming you don't have the madmen r4 singles which for the series at least were english dub only for a while (only for DBZ though)
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:54 pm

yoshida93 wrote:Ok so the series didnt get an edited release. But as for the movies, some were released edited. Can anybody tell me how i can confirm my dvds are uncut. Like which content was left out in the edited versions, blood? I'm watching the movies and so far there isnt any cursing but there is blood. If there is blood does that mean it is the uncut version?
Danfun64 wrote:For the movies, probably the easiest way to tell if they're uncut is if they have the Japanese track on them...assuming you don't have the madmen r4 singles which for the series at least were english dub only for a while (only for DBZ though)
The easiest way to tell is to look at the splash description on the front cover. All those DBZ singles from that era, including the movies, have them. They typically say "Includes 2 Versions: English Uncut Version & Original Japanese Version Subtitled in English." Conversely, the edited "Cooler's Revenge" DVD has a splash that says "Includes Edited English Version Only." It's especially easy to notice on that one since the uncut DVD of that movie actually touts 4 different versions: English 5.1, English Stereo, Spanish, and Japanese.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

yoshida93

Post by yoshida93 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:04 am

Ok so i think I'm gonna have to buy the remastered movie sets and compare them with the dvd singles i have. The remasters do come uncut right? Also i do have the boxes for all of the originals.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:34 am

yoshida93 wrote:Ok so i think I'm gonna have to buy the remastered movie sets and compare them with the dvd singles i have. The remasters do come uncut right? Also i do have the boxes for all of the originals.
No need. The "Remastered" movie sets are worse than the singles, and there are much easier ways to find out whether you own the uncut ones anyway. The simplest way to check is to put the DVD in your drive, go into their setup menu, and check if it has a Japanese language option.
Danfun64 wrote:For the movies, probably the easiest way to tell if they're uncut is if they have the Japanese track on them...assuming you don't have the madmen r4 singles which for the series at least were english dub only for a while (only for DBZ though)
Madman only excluded the Japanese for the Ginyu Assault DVDs. The movies all include a Japanese track.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:06 pm

TheBalishChannel wrote:Episodes do not fade in from black. Up until "4.6 - WORLD TOURNAMENT: JUNIOR DIVISION", the DVDs didn't include an option to switch between the Japanese and English versions and thus lack alternate angles, which allows for one consistent video track with no artificial transitions.
Bold added by me. Apparently 4.6 is the first Madmen single to offer the Japanese. It also seems that all the Madman singles of the Uncut Funi dub made before 4.6 are in an omnibus format that only has the recap of the first episode of each single. Thus, the Funi singles in-between Ginyu and Junior Division still have value despite their crappy encoding. The R1 Captain Ginyu singles, however, didn't have any recaps whatsoever and have weird subtitles from before Simmons finalized his style... subtitles which were fixed from the Orange Bricks onwards.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.