It's neat how the passage of times in the DB universe as of now corresponfs roughly with our real life passage of time

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puaru
Banned

It's neat how the passage of times in the DB universe as of now corresponfs roughly with our real life passage of time

Post by Puaru » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Think of it like this: the DB saga began in 1985. Since then, slightly over 30 years have passed. Within the DB universe, the amount of time that has passed between when Goku and Bulma first set out to find the dragon balls and "now" (which can really mean either the last DBS saga so far or the DBZ epilogue, since it is only a few years between those events) corresponds at least roughly to the amount of time that has actually passed in the real world between 1985 and now.

Granted, these timelines (that of our real world and that of the DB universe) actually synched up better a few years ago, like in the early 10's, which is when I first thought about this. I kinda wish I had made this topic back then, because that was when everything REALLY made sense. And pretty soon our real world passage of time will have significantly run away from that of the DB world. But right now it still synchs up somewhat well if you give or take a few years. I find it interesting to think that this will really not be the case in the future. Like, 15 years from now our own worlds passage of time between the premiere of the DB franchise and "now" will most likely be A LOT longer than the passage of time between Goku's first adventure and the "now" of the DB universe, since I sincerely doubt that Toriyama/Toei will allow those characters to ever got TOO old.

I dunno, maybe I'm alone on this but I just somehow find it faschinating to, say, look at an episode from the Red Ribbon Amry saga and think "this was about three decades ago from my point of view AND Goku's point of view!".

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: It's neat how the passage of times in the DB universe as of now corresponfs roughly with our real life passage of ti

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm

I recall this being talked about as a neat little thing around the time BoG was released. Maybe TheDevilsCorpse mentioned it at some point (can't recall for certain).
In any case it matches up with the year BoG was released.
Beerus woke up after 39 years in age 778, so he went to sleep in 739. The series starts 10 years later in 749, which corresponds to the real life 1984, when it was first published.
Ten years before that was 1974. 1974 plus 39 is 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: It's neat how the passage of times in the DB universe as of now corresponfs roughly with our real life passage of ti

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 pm

The one I like is the fact that the time in-universe from the start of Z to the Boo arc is 13 years. Z began airing on US TV in 1996. 1996 + 13 years = 2009. So, from this perspective, the fact that Boo Kai had weirdness like Videl's phone looking like something from ~10 or more years ago, and the dub having Vegetto say he's "Totally pwn'd you in this fight" points to the idea that the Funi dub of Boo Kai is set in realtime since 1996.

In other words, the reason Vegetto says he "Totally pwn'd" Boo was because Boo Kai's Funimation dub was set in 2009.
Puaru wrote:Granted, these timelines (that of our real world and that of the DB universe) actually synched up better a few years ago, like in the early 10's, which is when I first thought about this.
Actually, something I recently noticed is that Dragon Ball began in 1986, and the in-universe time between Bulma meeting Goku, and Goku flying off with Oob at the end of Z is 35 years. 1986 + 35 years = 2021. So if Super ends in 2021, this would match up perfectly.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.