It's Time to do a (New) Dragon Ball Live-action Movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: it's time to do a dragonball live action movie

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Whenever I see a Marvel/DC film or a live-action cartoon adapted (Transformers, Gintama), I wish DB could get a treatment like those properties.

Then I remember what happened with Evolution.

DB is a tricky - and that word is an understatement - property to make into live-action. The Japanese haven't attempted it so far. It's not about the scale of the action, but IMO more about getting the right balance of comedy and action, because DB is partly gag manga.

A film that could manage that delicate balance is possible, but very difficult to pull off. The best films that have combined/balanced comedy and action as well as DB, IMO, are Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor Ragnarok and Ghostbusters. If the DB filmmakers followed those films, it could have a chance.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Logania
Regular

Re: It's Time to do a (New) Dragon Ball Live-action Movie

Post by Logania » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Main problems with American comics compared to Japanese comics when adapting to movies is the art style.

Marvel/DC/Darkhorse comics are relatively grounded and can be put into the films accurately and look quite good. Most of the Japanese comics people want adapted are outlandish and if put into the movies accurately would look stupid or if they convert it, they'll have a completely different look and tone that could ruin the series they're doing. Dragon Ball with Goku himself is nearly impossible to take seriously if put into live action, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 movie is a prime example of adapting accurately, it just looks dumb.

I'm fine if DB, One Piece, Naruto, JoJo, or any other main shonen series never get a live action movie. Keep it animated where the material truly shines.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 pm

I still think another live action Dragon Ball movie is not going to happen anytime soon. DBE was a critical and box office flop, I think most people in Hollywood won't want to touch Dragon Ball.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:49 pm

They could do the fighting parts fine but I don't think anything else would really translate well. Don't really think making it live action would really add much or improve it. Especially if it was a full retelling of the story.
I think if they do it, it would be best to just make it a continuation of the anime and just have a quick recap in the beginning to explain things to people who haven't watched the anime or read the manga. So basically think if Battle of Gods had been live action and the part where Whis talks about Goku defeating Freeza was longer and covered the main points since the start of DB. Would have made the whole retelling of BoG in Super make more sense too.

sintzu
Banned

Re: it's time to do a dragonball live action movie

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Forte224 wrote:At best it'll turn out like those really bad live action YouTube short films where it's all dark and depressing and focuses on "Wow, look at how cool that Kamehameha looks you guys rock!!" while completely removing the humor and simplicity Dragon Ball is known for.
There are probably a lot of people in Hollywood who think that's what DB is so I hope those would be the last people they go to. I don't think the issue with a live action DB is it being possible to do right or not but rather finding people who are both good at making movies and understand what DB is.

If you can find someone who's a good film maker and fully understands and loves DB alongside a studio willing to pay whatever's needed to bring it to life and get people interested then I don't see why it can't work.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:56 am

Well there has been live action movies already based on Journey to the West. If you want a good live action Dragon Ball, just watch Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons :P .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:11 am

the only movie who i can think of that is similar to Dragonball is KUNG FU HUSTLE :D

this movie is a great combination of comedy and badass moments hmm i know stephen chow was the producer of evolution but not his fault i heard a lot
of rumors that they don't listen to him really sad

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:24 am

It would probably turn out great if 1) the characters were kept intact 2) It looks good. Liberties can be taken with the plot where necessary. In fact, maybe making a new story all together like the anime movies would be best or doing a side story. I've always thought it a Ginyu Tokusentai film could work pretty well if it's done in kind of a Guardians of the Galaxy style, but at the same time, that might only appeal to people who are already Dragon Ball fans, which isn't a good first step for a movie that could be considered high risk.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 am

I don't see how a live action movie can do anything good for Dragon Ball. It's already artistically and commercially legitimate enough as it is even without the three live action films already to its name.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Dragon Ball and live action just don't mix.

The unique visual aesthetic of Dragon Ball is just impossible to replicate into a live action setting without either losing the charm of what makes Dragon Ball such a distinctive visual presentation compared to other anime and manga or just straight up going into the uncanny valley. Keep Dragon Ball in the 2D animation realm. That is it where has, and always will, thrive in its narrative.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 pm

All live action takes on Dragon Ball have gone about it the complete wrong way. Evolution is a total miss, the Saiyan Saga live action fan trailer is laughable, and while I appreciate the effort, Light of Hope is extremely boring to look at. If anything, that one Korean film is still the best example of Dragon Ball even being close to done right in live action, but it's woefully outdated by this point. All of these attempts share a limited understanding of the visual impact of Dragon Ball, or even anime in general, on a fundamental level. They don't even try, they just adapt the most surface level aspects, and usually in a realistic style that doesn't suit the material at all.

I suggest the opposite approach. 2008's Speed Racer is a great example of anime brought to life in terms of action, effects, costumes, and cinematography. But, it could be taken even further. There are ways Dragon Ball could be turned into a live action anime that I hesitate to even lay out here, but I can say with confidence that Hollywood studios won't ever attempt any of them.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Kuwabara wrote:There are ways Dragon Ball could be turned into a live action but I can say with confidence that Hollywood studios won't ever attempt any of them.
This right here is the problem with Hollywood bringing DB and anime to the big screen, it's not that they can't do it right, they won't as they want to either "Westernize" it or make it in "their" vision. In this day and age anything can be made, it's just a matter of finding the right people to do it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: It's Time to do a Nnew) Dragon Ball Live-action Movie

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 pm

coola wrote:I heard Ghost In The Shell was pretty good, but, fans lost their s.it because of Johansson and boycott film
It wasn't.
I consider it the most forgettable movie of 2017.
sintzu wrote:If you can find someone who's a good film maker and fully understands and loves DB alongside a studio willing to pay whatever's needed to bring it to life and get people interested then I don't see why it can't work.
This is my attitude on this too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
coola wrote:I heard Ghost In The Shell was pretty good, but, fans lost their s.it because of Johansson and boycott film
It wasn't.
I consider it the most forgettable movie of 2017.
I haven't seen it but I think when someone says it's good they mean by anime movie standards which aren't very high right now. I do hope we'll get one, regardless of what franchise it belongs to that is truly good, not just as an anime movie but a movie in general as that'll help other projects get off the ground.

The next big anime movie on the way that I know of is Naruto so fingers crossed they can do something right with it. From a design point it shouldn't be that hard to get right as the majority of characters and locations look pretty normal and not that hard to bring to life.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
The next big anime movie on the way that I know of is Naruto so fingers crossed they can do something right with it. .

Last I heard, it was being produced by Avi Arad.

Spoilers:It's gonna be terrible

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:30 pm

After watching the monstrosity that was the Netflix Death Note movie, I don't think I want to see another live-action Dragon Ball film because anime/manga and live-action just don't mix unlike American comic books. Besides, I doubt it would turn out better than Evolution.

The reason why Marvel and DC comics work in live-action is because the art style of those comics is more grounded while the art style of manga is more fantastical and whimsical.

The actor playing Goku would look fucking stupid with that hair in live-action.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:50 pm

[quote="8000 Saiyan"Besides, I doubt it would turn out better than Evolution.[/quote]

It wouldn't be hard to be better though

The actor playing Goku would look fucking stupid with that hair in live-action.
No reason they can't change it. Goku's stupid hair isn't really important to keep. I honestly think keeping Goku's CHARACTER is more important than keeping his look.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 pm

I wish Evolution had continued, honestly. lol. I'm not the kind of person to get offended by a bad movie, or to cry about my 'childhood being raped', whatever that means. I would love to have seen their interpretation of the Saiyan Saga and onward. :D I wasn't really a fan of Evolution, but my curiosity brought me to see it and I have to say, that curiosity would most likely prevail if more movies were to be made. lol Dragon Ball movies on the scale of Avengers would be sweet, but American studios apparently haven't figured out how to adapt Japanese manga the way they do American comics.. Japanese filmmakers are typically good about sticking true to the manga for their movie adaptions, but they don't have the budget for their movies that Hollywood does. If only we could have the best of both worlds.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote:I wish Evolution had continued, honestly. lol.
I can understand this. I thought that for as bad as things got in that film, there were still some good moments they had buried within that held some potential. I wish that the writing hadn't been so poor and the script so rushed, because I thought that even with all of the re-imagining, they still had a decent concept to work with. And while I may disagree with some of the characterization, I felt that the actors were totally up for it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:31 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Last I heard, it was being produced by Avi Arad.

Spoilers:It's gonna be terrible
You're probably right, I'm just trying to be positive.