Dragonball helps with my depression.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Dragonball helps with my depression.

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm

hello everyone!
I wanted to make a topic because today is the first day in a long time that I have actually felt like making one. I just wanted to say that I have depression and anxiety that I take medicine for and I have lost a lot of interest in a lot of things in my life but thank God! Dragonball was never one of them. I'm not trying to say that Dragonball is perfect and doesn't have flaws but to me it will always be the greatest cartoon ever made. I have watched the series sooooooo many times in different formats,dubs,subs and I always keep coming back to it. I normally try to watch the entire franchise once a year and that includes the movies. but there isn't a single character that I dislike in the entire series! I love the outfits everyone wears, the towns, just everything about the series I love.
Someone asked me the other day would I take 1000 for my dragonboxes and I told them no because money just don't mean that much to me anymore and I consider those to be jewels in my collection and don't want to part with them. but I just feel so much comfort watching this series that it makes me feel good. I honestly don't know how much Akira Toriyama cares, but I'm thankful that he gave me something like this.
So with all that said...how does Dragonball affect you? Does it make you feel good seeing those familiar faces and going on those adventures with Goku and the rest of the gang?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Dragonball helps with my depression.

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Like you, Dragon Ball is this great franchise I can always come back to again and again. I sorely wish I had more time for it.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:57 pm

I like the Dragon Ball franchise a lot, I've been exposed to it since I was 3 years old, and will always be one of my favorite series ever.

At the same time I hate liking it so much, because the franchise's quality has been declining so much for me in recent years that it feels like I'm ONLY watching it because of nostalgia which is one of the worst things to feel. Kinda like Star Wars.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 pm

samuraix123 wrote:hello everyone!
I wanted to make a topic because today is the first day in a long time that I have actually felt like making one. I just wanted to say that I have depression and anxiety that I take medicine for and I have lost a lot of interest in a lot of things in my life but thank God! Dragonball was never one of them. I'm not trying to say that Dragonball is perfect and doesn't have flaws but to me it will always be the greatest cartoon ever made. I have watched the series sooooooo many times in different formats,dubs,subs and I always keep coming back to it. I normally try to watch the entire franchise once a year and that includes the movies. but there isn't a single character that I dislike in the entire series! I love the outfits everyone wears, the towns, just everything about the series I love.
Someone asked me the other day would I take 1000 for my dragonboxes and I told them no because money just don't mean that much to me anymore and I consider those to be jewels in my collection and don't want to part with them. but I just feel so much comfort watching this series that it makes me feel good. I honestly don't know how much Akira Toriyama cares, but I'm thankful that he gave me something like this.
So with all that said...how does Dragonball affect you? Does it make you feel good seeing those familiar faces and going on those adventures with Goku and the rest of the gang?
First of all it's great that you're able to talk openly about something which affects all kinds of people from all walks of life, albeit to varying degrees. In a world where such things are often swept under the rug due to wrongful stigma, it really does help for as many people as possible to talk about it openly.

And yes I agree wholeheartedly that Dragonball is a really feelgood series that works as a great metaphor for life's struggles. Doctors should seriously consider prescribing it to people suffering from depression. Maybe it's the fact that the series is so simplistic that it allows you to forget your troubles and be reminded of a time when life itself was much simpler. And also seeing the good guys struggle and succeed against overwhelming odds time and again.

And I know what you mean about money not being as important as some think. While money obviously does matter it should never be put ahead of your own happiness.

And on a personal level Dragonball always makes me feel at least a little better when I'm having a bad day. Even though they're fictional Goku and the gang kind of feel like old friends.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 pm

DB is my favorite anime series so I know what you mean. It's always great seeing Goku start out as a kid in the woods to becoming the universe's saviour, no matter how many times I see it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Honestly I don't think there's a better manga for when you're feeling down that Dragon Ball, maybe One Piece, it just has this great fun vibe to it that a lot of other manga don't have - especially the earlier parts where Goku was a kid. And even when the writing gets a little stupid it still ends up being an enjoyable ride. I've never been one to be overly critical about DragonBall, that's not to say I don't see it's flaws cause I do, but when I read it I just get sucked in to Goku's dumb little world and usually forget about the shit that doesn't make sense. Sometimes it's nice to just read something without combing through it to see all the places it messed up y'know.

I've never had depression myself but if I'm ever feeling a bit down or whatever best thing to cheer me up is always gonna be reading some DragonBall.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Forget watching it, just looking at the stuff I own all colorful sitting in my overstuffed bookcase makes me feel a little better. Of course, popping open a random manga volume or watching a random clip or episode multiples that feeling tenfold.

There is definitely something about Dragon Ball that nothing else fulfills for me. Can't put my finger on exactly what though.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Forte224 wrote:Forget watching it, just looking at the stuff I own all colorful sitting in my overstuffed bookcase makes me feel a little better. Of course, popping open a random manga volume or watching a random clip or episode multiples that feeling tenfold.

There is definitely something about Dragon Ball that nothing else fulfills for me. Can't put my finger on exactly what though.
I find myself sometimes just going to google images and looking art on there or here. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:26 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:hello everyone!
First of all it's great that you're able to talk openly about something which affects all kinds of people from all walks of life, albeit to varying degrees. In a world where such things are often swept under the rug due to wrongful stigma, it really does help for as many people as possible to talk about it openly.

And yes I agree wholeheartedly that Dragonball is a really feelgood series that works as a great metaphor for life's struggles. Doctors should seriously consider prescribing it to people suffering from depression. Maybe it's the fact that the series is so simplistic that it allows you to forget your troubles and be reminded of a time when life itself was much simpler. And also seeing the good guys struggle and succeed against overwhelming odds time and again.

And I know what you mean about money not being as important as some think. While money obviously does matter it should never be put ahead of your own happiness.

And on a personal level Dragonball always makes me feel at least a little better when I'm having a bad day. Even though they're fictional Goku and the gang kind of feel like old friends.
Not changing the subject about dragonball but going to the doctor and getting help was one of the greatest things that I could have done. there is a stigma in the world that if a man goes and wants help he is considered weak and I didn't want to be apart of certain statistics and the doctor and nurses were saying how proud of me for coming to get help.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:58 am

samuraix123 wrote:Not changing the subject about dragonball but going to the doctor and getting help was one of the greatest things that I could have done. there is a stigma in the world that if a man goes and wants help he is considered weak and I didn't want to be apart of certain statistics and the doctor and nurses were saying how proud of me for coming to get help.
I'm really happy to hear that you live in a place where it's accepted for people to admit they have issues and need help as too many place and people look down at that. The world as a whole would be a better place if more would accept people aren't perfect and everyone has issues of some kind.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:33 am

As a former victim of depression, I understand you completely.

It's nice that you can talk openly about it. Honestly, I was ashamed to tell someone (even like you did now, in a forum full of strangers) that I had diagnosed depression. I was taking my medication and the doctor was a nice person that cared about my well-being.

Now, where does Dragon Ball fit in my depression experience? Let me start.

Since I started taking the pills, Super was at the point where Black transforms into SS Rose for the 1st time (August 2016). I was a longtime DB fan since my childhood days, and thank God Super was around during these hard days for me. It was helping me to cope with my anxiety and doubts about my life quality were being forgotten when I was watching Super. I think this was the time I joined the Kanzenshuu forums, but maybe I'm wrong.

Now, let's travel 1 year and a few months later to the future. I was steadily reducing my medication since I was steadily improving as well. During this period of time, I saw myself go through some incredible changes. I did some crazy things, things I hoped I was capable of, but never thought I was. I was feeling better with each passing day. But 1 thing never changed : Dragon Ball. It was there from the moment I was diagnosed to the moment I was declared fully recovered (December 2017). Even in some days that I was feeling gloomy for no apparent reason, Dragon Ball managed to put a smile on my face. That's why I will never turn my back to this franchise. Dragon Ball was like a friend trying to help me get through, so turning my back on it would be like betraying a dear friend who helped me when I needed it. Not my style.

Right now, I am enjoying every day of my life. Smiling is my biggest weapon when something bad happens. I am feeling truly great, and I have to thank Dragon Ball for the part it played for my recovery.

I hope you'll recover soon too man. Life is too short to and we must consume it with the best way possible. I get that you are a strong individual that really wants to get over this and live the way he wants. And you'll do just that, I'm sure of it. Because you are great! If you ever feel the need to talk to someone, you can message me anytime. Have a nice day pal.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:06 am

It's great that you're not the only one :) I'm in a bit of a spot right now and there's a lot going on. I had trouble with a lot of changes going on at work and my grandmother passing away, and now I'm moving to another state in 6 months, and all of this has been pretty stressful and tough. My best friend had also moved to Florida and I live in New Mexico so that's been hard to deal with.

Not to mention, the dysthymia- chronic depression each day. DB has helped me get through all of this as I know that characters such as Goku and Trunks (my favorite) go through much worse stuff than I do, so I get the feeling that it'll be okay soon and that if they can handle what's going on, somehow I'll be able to handle my life too.

I've began at Dragonball, then watched Z, finally got around to finishing GT, and now I'm starting Super and I've also poured countless hours into Xenoverse 1 and 2. It's my escape at the moment.

This series gives me strength and the fact that I haven't seen everything yet or read the manga oddly gives me something to live for. I want to find out what's going to happen next, and I won't find that out if I was to let my depression and suicidal thoughts get the best of me. If my Trunks could handle the pain of his world being destroyed by the androids and everyone that meant the world to him dead (save for Bulma) and even want to do something about it, then no matter how much my life may be crumbling to ruins, I'll be able to continue pushing forward.

It's a great thing that this series exists and it I don't know where I'd be without it. I just hope that one day things will get better.
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:05 am

samuraix123 wrote:Not changing the subject about dragonball but going to the doctor and getting help was one of the greatest things that I could have done. there is a stigma in the world that if a man goes and wants help he is considered weak and I didn't want to be apart of certain statistics and the doctor and nurses were saying how proud of me for coming to get help.
It's great that the doctor and nurses had that positive mentality and the world would be a much better place if more people did. Anyway I hope all goes well for you going forward. :thumbup:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:07 am

You folks are so awesome and it makes me proud to be apart of this community. I always wondered what Future Trunks mental state must have been like because his timeline just gets the absolute worst end of the stick compared to ours.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Kanzenshuu. Not just a place to discuss and to get educated on some DB, but an educational hub for all sorts of things. Look at that recent tax evasion thread. Amazing stuff to be found around here.

In addition to the Dragon Ball story aiding in lifting your spirits, may I suggest pointing anyone over to a place called "YouTube". There, you can search up various subliminal affirmation audios that are alleged, or proven, to help combat/cure various mental, emotional, physical, or spiritual conditions/ailments/diseases such as Depression and Anxiety. The list goes on and on and on really. They, of course, will not bring instant magical results, so your time and patience are your key. But, perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is to have a strong belief and discipline towards your goal. So, a good pair of headphones and at least thirty minutes of your time everyday are your starters (it must be everyday to keep it "downloading" into your system). Stick with it for several months or however long it may take for your individual self to find noticeable results. Also, it's vital that you stay properly hydrated throughout (with pure water, never from the tap), as the frequencies will deplete your body of water supply (notice dry mouth) as it's working to help correct, repair, and strengthen you to a more functional state of human and spiritual being.

This vast universe that we all live within will remind us that there is a solution(s) for any of our problems, no matter how down and out you may be. Open your potential and find a positive momentum. Surround yourself with the things that make you feel good, and find a working frequency. I would suggest checking out Quadible Integrity and Sapien Med to begin your journey. There are many like channels, but be sure to do some research to find the ones that you feel are most compatible with helping to reduce/eliminate the bumps/hills/mountains that are in your path way. We've (in the U.S. anyway) been conditioned to give in/give up easily, even with all of these inspirational things going on around us. The types of audios/frequencies that are out there are almost unbelievable and will open your eyes, and maybe even your beliefs, to a whole new world/reality. If you commit to going down that path, all the best to YOU and your ongoing adventures. May you find, and feel, what you're after. :)

And yeah, read/watch the DB story too.

I am not a doctor! Just a guide.