Characters and Their Own Days.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Characters and Their Own Days.

Post by Michsi » Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Vegeta and Bulma Day doesn't seem that popular, but Yamcha definitely has his day too, and I didn't know it. Thanks to bring them up!
Vegeta x Bulma in general isn't that popular in Japan... compared to Goku x Chi-Chi at least. :)

Odd, back when I was browsing through japanese fanart sites (before pixiv absorbed every FArtist) it was clear to me that VegetaxBulma was massively popular. GokuxChichi though, I didn't come across sites dedicated to this couple that much. It's only recently on twitter that I've seen more of them, so maybe they've gotten more popular in the mean time? Still doesn't seem to hold a candle to Vegeta/Bulma though.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:35 am

Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Vegeta and Bulma Day doesn't seem that popular, but Yamcha definitely has his day too, and I didn't know it. Thanks to bring them up!
Vegeta x Bulma in general isn't that popular in Japan... compared to Goku x Chi-Chi at least. :)

Odd, back when I was browsing through japanese fanart sites (before pixiv absorbed every FArtist) it was clear to me that VegetaxBulma was massively popular. GokuxChichi though, I didn't come across sites dedicated to this couple that much. It's only recently on twitter that I've seen more of them, so maybe they've gotten more popular in the mean time? Still doesn't seem to hold a candle to Vegeta/Bulma though.
The Vegeta x Bulma fanart stuff seem more like a cult thing given the mystery behind the couple. I remember the target audience viewing them as dysfunctional at best while thriving to have a relationship like Goku x Chi-Chi plus there was plenty of fanart for them back then.

If anything, Goku x Chi-Chi has been getting less support since Super started (giving fans another reason to hate Super).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Vegeta x Bulma in general isn't that popular in Japan... compared to Goku x Chi-Chi at least. :)

The Vegeta x Bulma fanart stuff seem more like a cult thing given the mystery behind the couple. I remember the target audience viewing them as dysfunctional at best while thriving to have a relationship like Goku x Chi-Chi plus there was plenty of fanart for them back then.

If anything, Goku x Chi-Chi has been getting less support since Super started (giving fans another reason to hate Super).
They're just like any other ship with a fandom and the VegetaxBulma one seems the largest one of DB, by far. I'm just talking numbers here. I did see someGokuxChichi sites, but way less.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:24 am

Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote:

They're just like any other ship with a fandom and the VegetaxBulma one seems the largest one of DB, by far. I'm just talking numbers here. I did see someGokuxChichi sites, but way less.
Dunno where you get this information from, but this doesn't show my point:

https://ranking.goo.ne.jp/column/3824/ranking/49749/
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8555&start=20

Dunno what will...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri May 04, 2018 11:41 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: The Vegeta x Bulma fanart stuff seem more like a cult thing given the mystery behind the couple. I remember the target audience viewing them as dysfunctional at best while thriving to have a relationship like Goku x Chi-Chi plus there was plenty of fanart for them back then.

Dunno where you get this information from, but this doesn't show my point:

https://ranking.goo.ne.jp/column/3824/ranking/49749/
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8555&start=20

Dunno what will...
It really doesn't because I can't read it myself to asses the validity, (and if those are 78 votes, that's nothing to write home about.) If it's anything like that continuously updating character popularity poll then....

For instance Goku/Chichi tag on pixiv shows me 1500 images, while the Vegeta/Bulma tag has 2188 pieces. I might be using the tags wrong, but that's what I found on my first try.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Michsi wrote:
It really doesn't because I can't read it myself to asses the validity, (and if those are 78 votes, that's nothing to write home about.) If it's anything like that continuously updating character popularity poll then....

For instance Goku/Chichi tag on pixiv shows me 1500 images, while the Vegeta/Bulma tag has 2188 pieces. I might be using the tags wrong, but that's what I found on my first try.
Don't think the number of fan art from one site is a good indication of Vegeta x Bulma being more popular. Sailor Moon has many times more fan art on DeviantArt than Dragon Ball and it's definitely not more popular than Dragon Ball.

Anyways, the point is Vegeta x Bulma wasn't really clicking with the core audience for the series like Goku x Chi-Chi. The only reason It's getting more attention now is because Toriyama decided to give it more attention, even at the expense of Goku x Chi-Chi.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat May 05, 2018 2:28 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Don't think the number of fan art from one site is a good indication of Vegeta x Bulma being more popular. Sailor Moon has many times more fan art on DeviantArt than Dragon Ball and it's definitely not more popular than Dragon Ball.

Anyways, the point is Vegeta x Bulma wasn't really clicking with the core audience for the series like Goku x Chi-Chi. The only reason It's getting more attention now is because Toriyama decided to give it more attention, even at the expense of Goku x Chi-Chi.
I don't intend to get into a debate over shipping since I don't particularly care about either, all I know is what I've noticed in the Japanese fandom while I was browsing their sites. Someone also mentioned BulmaxVegeta have/had a lot of doujinshi circles dedicated to them, so that's another indicator. We all know about Toriyama's aversion to romance, yet in BOG Vegeta's biggest moment was romance-related, and I can only assume it was added because of how popular it was. I think the whole reason they had so much of BulmaxVegeta in DBS was because of how popular it was.

Chichi herself has never been popular and Toriyama mentioned how there was a lot of outcry when he married the two.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:49 am

Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote:

I don't intend to get into a debate over shipping since I don't particularly care about either, all I know is what I've noticed in the Japanese fandom while I was browsing their sites. Someone also mentioned BulmaxVegeta have/had a lot of doujinshi circles dedicated to them, so that's another indicator. We all know about Toriyama's aversion to romance, yet in BOG Vegeta's biggest moment was romance-related, and I can only assume it was added because of how popular it was. I think the whole reason they had so much of BulmaxVegeta in DBS was because of how popular it was.

Chichi herself has never been popular and Toriyama mentioned how there was a lot of outcry when he married the two.
Tbh this is nowhere. I believe you're misinformed and I'm just gonna end up repeating myself.

Also, don't believe Japanese fans are on that Chi-Chi hate fuckery like the western fandom.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101019174 ... _1989.html (Note: This is the first any female DB character has made it. Bulma and #18 male it in later polls)

Fans were only concerned how marriage would change Goku's character.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Don't think the number of fan art from one site is a good indication of Vegeta x Bulma being more popular. Sailor Moon has many times more fan art on DeviantArt than Dragon Ball and it's definitely not more popular than Dragon Ball.

Tbh this is nowhere. I believe you're misinformed and I'm just gonna end up repeating myself.

Also, don't believe Japanese fans are on that Chi-Chi hate fuckery like the western fandom.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101019174 ... _1989.html (Note: This is the first any female DB character has made it. Bulma and #18 male it in later polls)

Fans were only concerned how marriage would change Goku's character.

Again, I don't read Japanese so obscure polls don't convince me. I stated that this is based on my observation within the FA community which can reflect (maybe not super accurately) popularity. As for Chichi herself, while I agree that she probably never got anywhere near the hate she got in the western fandom, I can tell you that neither did she ever make it into any of the official DB popularity polls; not the one from 1993 or the one from 1995 or the one 2004. It just doesn't add up.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Michsi wrote: Again, I don't read Japanese so obscure polls don't convince me. I stated that this is based on my observation within the FA community which can reflect (maybe not super accurately) popularity. As for Chichi herself, while I agree that she probably never got anywhere near the hate she got in the western fandom, I can tell you that neither did she ever make it into any of the official DB popularity polls; not the one from 1993 or the one from 1995 or the one 2004. It just doesn't add up.
That poll has more voters than the Dragon Ball Forever poll, which can be viewed as something of an oddity (it has Korin of all characters on it). I recall her not ranking much lower than Bulma on the Namek arc ending poll.

Besides, Chi-Chi never had problems with getting on official art along with Goku pre-Super era be it with Toriyama, Toei, or whatever animator.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat May 05, 2018 12:22 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote: Again, I don't read Japanese so obscure polls don't convince me. I stated that this is based on my observation within the FA community which can reflect (maybe not super accurately) popularity. As for Chichi herself, while I agree that she probably never got anywhere near the hate she got in the western fandom, I can tell you that neither did she ever make it into any of the official DB popularity polls; not the one from 1993 or the one from 1995 or the one 2004. It just doesn't add up.
That poll has more voters than the Dragon Ball Forever poll, which can be viewed as something of an oddity (it has Korin of all characters on it). I recall her not ranking much lower than Bulma on the Namek arc ending poll.

Besides, Chi-Chi never had problems with getting on official art along with Goku pre-Super era be it with Toriyama, Toei, or whatever animator.
Again, I have no idea what that poll is, but if contains several franchises then it's logical that total vote count would surpass a poll dedicated to one franchise specifically (and that had ended nearly 10 years prior) Your poll seems to be from '89, that when Chichi first appears as an adult, so I guess that was when she had her time in the spot-light. It's also around the time she appeared most in offical artwork judging from my collection, but I can only think of 4 that were dedicated to the Son family and one alone to Goku and Chichi. (Bulma and Vegeta never got anything, but that's because none of them were the main character and only really became a true couple right at the end.)

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, especially since I don't care about either pairing, just that the notion of Goku&Chichi being a popular ship, not to mention more popular than Vegeta&Bulma, seemed like a very odd statement given what I've seen. Might be wrong though.
May 7th is right around the corner, so let's see what how their tag looks on that day :D T

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Again, I have no idea what that poll is, but if contains several franchises then it's logical that total vote count would surpass a poll dedicated to one franchise specifically (and that had ended nearly 10 years prior) Your poll seems to be from '89, that when Chichi first appears as an adult, so I guess that was when she had her time in the spot-light. It's also around the time she appeared most in offical artwork judging from my collection, but I can only think of 4 that were dedicated to the Son family and one alone to Goku and Chichi. (Bulma and Vegeta never got anything, but that's because none of them were the main character and only really became a true couple right at the end.)

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, especially since I don't care about either pairing, just that the notion of Goku&Chichi being a popular ship, not to mention more popular than Vegeta&Bulma, seemed like a very odd statement given what I've seen. Might be wrong though.
May 7th is right around the corner, so let's see what how their tag looks on that day :D T
I can find plenty of official art on them, but that'd be a waste of time and it is also excluding the numerous scenes they were given in the anime series.

Still I dunno where you get the notion Goku x Chi-Chi is unpopular. Did a Vegeta x Bulma fan or Goku shipper tell you that as well?
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat May 05, 2018 3:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: That poll has more voters than the Dragon Ball Forever poll, which can be viewed as something of an oddity (it has Korin of all characters on it). I recall her not ranking much lower than Bulma on the Namek arc ending poll.

I can find plenty of official art on them, but that'd be a waste of time and it is also excluding the numerous scenes they were given in the anime series.

Still I dunno where you get the notion Goku x Chi-Chi is unpopular. Did a Vegeta x Bulma fan or Goku shipper tell you that as well?
As I've said, I have 0 interest in shipping, so I don't specifically go looking for ship related stuff, but I enjoy fan art and fan work of all sorts, so I inevitably end up making mental notes of what I see more and such. Take for instance, I'd say after Vegeta/Bulma, Vegeta/Goku is the second biggest ship I've seen art for. And what you've shown me are screenshots, not art work - I was talking about what Toriyama himself drew for them. And I said nothing about them bein unpopular, I said they weren't as popular as Vegeta/Bulma. The only reason Vegeta/Bulma don't have a day is because there's date that sounds like their ship name. That's also the only reason Vegeta doesn't have a day, even though he is the second most popular character of the franchise right now.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon May 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Today is Gohan's Day, I wonder if it's still good times to be a Gohan fan. :think: Well, hopefully it is because games are treating him very well. Oh, let's not forget that it's Future Gohan Day too obviously, If it’s any consolation. Happy Gohan Day, everyone. :thumbup:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri May 18, 2018 7:25 am

Whatever you do, always remember : green dick is better than blue dick!