Should Dragon Ball move forward from the "Goku Saga"? If yes, what new DB stories would you like to see?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Should Dragon Ball move forward from the "Goku Saga"? If yes, what new DB stories would you like to see?

Post by majinwarman » Mon May 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:Boruto is a borefest with little to nothing going on in its plot while star wars is an SJW mess that has somehow managed to split the fanbase even more than the prequels did so if those are what DB will be without Goku then no thank you. I don't mind different kinds of stories like the ones you mentioned but not as the main one, maybe as OVAs, TV Specials or even limited 12 episode shows. They can do whatever they want as long as they keep the main story revolving around Goku and his friends.
Yes I don't really understand why people cite Disney SW as something in favour of DB moving past Goku and co. It doesn't mean it will be good, interesting sure maybe but good? Not necessarily. Disney are on the verge of butchering Solo. We all saw what TLJ did completely destroyed the old cast in favour of this new less interesting boring cast of characters.

If ain't broke don't fix it, there's a reason why Marvel/Disney pussyed out in the latest Avengers movie.
I personally don't want a story in which I don't care about the characters.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Should Dragon Ball move forward from the "Goku Saga"? If yes, what new DB stories would you like to see?

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon May 07, 2018 5:16 pm

No. Goku is dragon ball, take him out and it's ceases to be dragon ball. He's the heart of the series.
Now I could definitely see spin off series but they should be their own thing. A great example is Jaco, it takes place in the dragon ball universe but it has a different feel to it.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 pm

People have been making Superman stories for damn near a century now

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Either some of the people who've posted here (not all) only red the title of the thread and didn't bother to read the rest, or maybe it's my fault for perhaps not being very clear in my OP.

My question wasn't so much "Should there be a new DB series in which Goku is replaced as the MC?" but rather "Dragon Ball is not ending any time soon and it's only a matter of time until Toei announces new DB content whether we like it/want it or not, so instead of the predictable DB Super sequel we are all expecting (and a lot of us are not asking), wouldn't you rather see some non-Goku related DB stories happening in different time periods of Dragon World's history (this can include prequels/specials about past events of DB's lore like Muten Roshi's past; a side-story about Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Hit, Beerus or some other character; or a "DB Future" spin-off happening in DB Online's Era) If yes, which of these type of stories would you like to see?"
sintzu wrote:
Kakarotto92 wrote:As for Boruto, the show actually has lot potential, I'm sure once Pierrot is done with the slice of life filler fluff the show will improve greatly.
We're 57 episodes in and we've yet to see even a glimps of that potential. They're currently retelling the movie (the movie was great) but unlike Super's retellings, they're not even bothering to completely re-animate it as they're using a lot of scenes from the movie. The movie retelling will probably last up to 65 or so which will leave 35 episodes before it gets to a 100 and even then I wouldn't be surprised if they're still wasting time. The only good thing to come out of this show was the Sarada mini arc which in itself was under the Naruto brand in the manga and released a year earlier so it isn't even a completely original Boruto product. I think the biggest thing holding it back is Kishimoto's lack of involvement with it as he said he told his story with the conclusion of Boruto's movie so he left everything to the anime's staff and his assistant which was clearly a mistake.
Again, the new anime is sucking mostly because 90% of it so far has been shitty filler with nothing of importance happening other than the Shin arc or the Genin graduation. One of the reasons why I think the show has potential is because I find the idea of going back to small shinobi teams going on dangerous missions around the world (much like the Zabuza arc or the Hidan and Kakuzu arc, which are two of the best arcs in the whole manga) much more interesting and fun than 300 episodes of Ninja world wars and fighting OP villains like Madara/Obito/Kaguya/Zetsu armies with battles being all about Sharingans, Rinnegans, Susanoos and chakra monsters.

Which brings me back to my point about DB and why instead of seeing who's the next universe-buster villain Goku is gonna fight in the upcoming DBS sequel, I would much rather have the power levels be brought down to more "sane" and non-OP levels, through weaker main characters and villains.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 08, 2018 12:17 am

Kakarotto92 wrote:One of the reasons why I think the show has potential is because I find the idea of going back to small shinobi teams going on dangerous missions around the world much more interesting and fun than 300 episodes of Ninja world wars.

Which brings me back to my point about DB and why instead of seeing who's the next universe-buster villain Goku is gonna fight in the upcoming DBS sequel, I would much rather have the power levels be brought down to more "sane" and non-OP levels, through weaker main characters and villains.
I do as well because of the potential it has for introducing great new villains and developing the characters. The problem is, the teams we have are either boring or annyoing and the villains we've been introduced to so far couldn't be any more generic. Boruto has potential for sure but the problem is that the people running the show clearly don't know how to realize it. Instead of epic mission based arcs, we're stuck with everyone just fooling around in the village.

The problem with DB is that Saiyans are too popular so we'll just be going through the same thing we did in the original with Goku, starting from whoever trying to reach Ssj up till UI. I think the Naruto world has a better chance at working in a next gen setting compared to DB as it doesn't have that Ssj gimmick they'd most likely fall back on (not that Boruto has been any good). Plus in a naruto next gen show there's an unlimited type of ninja they can introduce like Mitsuke which can really change things up, at this point what else can you do with saiyans ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 am

The only stories I can think of in the franchise without Goku were the Future of Trunks and Bardock's final days. I loved them and I haven't met anyone that dislikes them, I might be wrong but I think the fanbase welcomed pretty well those non-goku stories.

I wouldn't mind at all if they decide to make a movie or a TV Special about Jiren's past, some great enemy he fought and cemented himself as U-11's strongest warrior, perhaps his childhood, or if he ever got vendetta against the guy who killed his family. There were rumors that the upcoming movie was going to be about saiyan origins, taking place like centuries before Goku was even born and that now-debunked rumor still is interesting to me.
I'd love to see something about how Beerus got his present job, and Champa too, or some tasks they had to perform as Hakaishin. Dragon Ball has a lot of uncharted territory thanks to Super if you may.

I would also like to see a show about the adventures of Pan, Bra, Uub, Goten, Trunks, maybe not a show but a small arc.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Spencer_23 wrote: The examples you gave have split fanbases. Star Wars has been awful imo and Boruto has been pretty boring.
I started with those 2 examples simply because they're the most popular and recognizable titles but I did I give 5 other examples: Jojo's bizarre adventure, Saint Seiya, Digimon, Fate/Stay Night and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Jojo (a show which keeps changing the main character every new arc) is one of the most popular shounens in the anime community right now. Saint Seiya Omega and Soul of Gold aren't very good, but the greatness of the Lost Canvas OVAs make up for it. The Digimon spin-off series have been a great success with the Digimon fanbase (specially Tamers, Frontier and Savers). Fate/Zero has already overshadowed the original Fate/stay night a long time ago. I haven't watched any of the Yu-Gi-Oh spin-offs but most seem to have pretty decent MAL ratings and reviews.

And then there's the biggest and oldest example of all: the Gundam franchise (which I completely forgot to mention in my OP).

With all these different anime franchises having such huge success with spinoffs and prequels, I don't see why it can't also work with DB. If anything, considering the much bigger worldwide popularity Dragon Ball has compared with these other franchises, it's actually weird that it hasn't been tried yet.

The "DB isn't DB without Goku" people are acting as if the Bardock and Trunks specials aren't fan favorites and some of the best DB content ever created.
KBABZ wrote:Personally I can see Dragon Ball working without Goku as the focus since it has such a wide breadth of characters, but it probably wouldn't be in the main product because that's not how good marketing works. Often though I feel like the only guy in the room who finds the world itself to be a character (most obviously in the first two Dragon Ball hunts that emphasizes the various locations Goku visits) and has room for tales outside of the main cast. As a comparison, some of Pokémon's most interesting stories come from Pokémon Chronicles where Ash doesn't appear and instead focuses on the side characters and what they can get up to (Misty managing the Water Gym for the first time, for example). I see no reason why Dragon Ball cannot comfortably and confidently tell that sort of story. And it has: The History of Trunks is a VERY compelling and fan-favourite story where Goku is long-dead and isn't important at all.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:06 pm

sintzu wrote:The problem with DB is that Saiyans are too popular so we'll just be going through the same thing we did in the original with Goku, starting from whoever trying to reach Ssj up till UI. I think the Naruto world has a better chance at working in a next gen setting compared to DB as it doesn't have that Ssj gimmick they'd most likely fall back on (not that Boruto has been any good). Plus in a naruto next gen show there's an unlimited type of ninja they can introduce like Mitsuke which can really change things up, at this point what else can you do with saiyans ?
For a next gen series I'd go with my DBO anime idea, basically take this two trailers and make an anime series out of it (obviously it would need the right people working for it, specially writing-wise).

As for going from SSJ all the way up till UI, I'd personally stick to the original manga powerscaling and disregard the new transformations introduced since BoG. SSJ3/Vegetto and Majin Buu arc power levels would be the limit when it comes to how powerful the characters could become. Concepts such as the new RRA, Freeza Army Remnants, Dark Namekians and Makaioshins could make for some great arcs/villains throughout the series, without needing to have Beerus-tier or Jiren-tier antagonists.