Make a Ocean Dub of GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Make a Ocean Dub of GT

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sun May 06, 2018 4:48 am

I know it's frowning to talk about GT & all. But pretty much thanks to this below:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41534&p=1497287#p1476628

How would a Vancouver dub of GT do? I'm gonna give out some examples on how this would happen in a alternate reality.

Caitlyn Bairstow - Pan
Matthew Erikson - Giru
Andrew Francis - Son Goten
Scott McNeil - General Rilldo, Rage Shenron
Brian Drummond - Baby, Dolltaki, Emperor Pilaf
Sam Vincent - Naturon Shenron
Michael Adamwaite - Super Android 17
Don Brown - Agent Shu
Trevor Devall - Sugoro
Heather Dorekson - Android 18
Chantal Strand - Marron
Maryke Hendriseke - Bulla
Paul Dobson - Black Star Shenron, Black Smoke Shenron
Peter New - Sugoro, Haze Shenron
Mackenzie Gray - Nuova Shenron
Brian Dobson - Eis Shenron
Vincent Tong - Uub
Michael Dobson - Dr. Myuu, Oceanaus Shenron
Kathleen Barr - Agent Mai, Valese

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Make a Ocean Dub of GT

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:I know it's frowning to talk about GT & all.
I love GT, I love discussing GT, and I wish we -- as a forum -- would talk more about GT, and not just have all mentions of it be people dissing it, or the "Is GT actually good?"/"Is GT or Super better?" conversation. So... Thank you for this thread. :)
EnergizerConvoy wrote:But pretty much thanks to this below:

How would a Vancouver dub of GT do? I'm gonna give out some examples on how this would happen in a alternate reality.
This is a cool idea, and I love it.

Jillian Michaels - Goku
Vincent Tong - Goten
Brian Drummond - Baby Vegeta
Hiro Kanagawa - Super #17
Don Brown - Emperor Pilaf, Dolltaki
Doug Parker - Agent Shu
Teryl Rothery - Agent Mai
Brian Dobson - Ii Shenron
Michael Dobson - Ryan Shenron, San Shenron
Paul Dobson - Su Shenron, Black Smoke Shenron
Scott McNeil - Oo Shenron, General Lock, Sugoro
Kathleen Barr - Ryu Shenron
David Kaye - Chi Shenron
Richard Newman - Black Star Shenron
Sam Vincent - Oob
Mackenzie Gray - Baby, Dr. Myuu

I ended up going with many of your choices that I thought sounded cool, but changed a lot around.
I swapped your Pilaf, Mai, and Shu choices out for the people who played them in the 1995 dub, since I really love those castings.
There are a few of these I'm not hugely sure about, but I think this could've been a fun cast that could've been put together in 2003 when AB Groupe had GT dubbed.
EnergizerConvoy wrote:[...] Giru [...] General Rilldo, Rage Shenron [...] Naturon Shenron [...] Haze Shenron [...] Nuova Shenron [...] Eis Shenron [...] Uub [...] Oceanaus Shenron
Small pet peeve of mine: They would have had basically the same scripting team as Blue Water did for their dub(Likely the exact same scripts in general, in fact), so those character names would be Gill, General Lock, Oob, and in order of star number on the dragons' heads: Ii Shenron, Ryan Shenron, San Shenron, Su Shenron, Oo Shenron, Ryu Shenron, and Chi Shenron.

Where exactly they got "General Lock", I'm not sure, but the dragon names come from romanising the Japanese pronunciations of their names(Like in this Kanzenshuu guide, except the spellings are slightly different. Take a look at that guide if you're at all confused by my explanation of the dragon names, it's rather informative, though unfortunately missing any mention of the BW dub), similar to the logic used to get "Shenron", except compared to the direct romanisations, they also changed "Shinron"("Xing Long", if you romanise it directly from Chinese) to "Shenron".
Given the fact they got the dragon names basically right, and their generally good handling of the translation and adaptation, I imagine "General Lock" has some sort of logic behind it, but exactly what that logic is eludes me completely. My best guess is it's some kind of obscure/old colloquialism in Japan that one of their translators clued into that no one else in the English fandom has.

Also, you listed Matthew Erikson as Gill in your casting; he's a Calgary-based actor -- or at least, he was when GT was being done, I'm not sure about now -- thus he could work for Blue Water, but not the Vancouver Ocean studios(In fact, he played Trunks in Blue Water's GT), so... Not to shatter your fantasy, but realistically, he wouldn't have been cast if they'd done GT in Vancouver.
If we allow Blue Water actors, I'd probably put Gill down as the guy who voiced him in BW's dub -- allegedly, either Nathan Simpson, or your choice of Matthew Erikson. Not sure which...
I'd also keep their Pan, Trunks, Chi Shenron, and Ultimate Shenron(The one you call Black Star Shenron).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sun May 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote:I know it's frowning to talk about GT & all.
I love GT, I love discussing GT, and I wish we -- as a forum -- would talk more about GT, and not just have all mentions of it be people dissing it, or the "Is GT actually good?"/"Is GT or Super better?" conversation. So... Thank you for this thread. :)
EnergizerConvoy wrote:But pretty much thanks to this below:

This is a cool idea, and I love it.

Jillian Michaels - Goku
Vincent Tong - Goten
Brian Drummond - Baby Vegeta
Hiro Kanagawa - Super #17
Don Brown - Emperor Pilaf, Dolltaki
Doug Parker - Agent Shu
Teryl Rothery - Agent Mai
Brian Dobson - Ii Shenron
Michael Dobson - Ryan Shenron, San Shenron
Paul Dobson - Su Shenron, Black Smoke Shenron
Scott McNeil - Oo Shenron, General Lock, Sugoro
Kathleen Barr - Ryu Shenron
David Kaye - Chi Shenron
Richard Newman - Black Star Shenron
Sam Vincent - Oob
Mackenzie Gray - Baby, Dr. Myuu

I ended up going with many of your choices that I thought sounded cool, but changed a lot around.
I swapped your Pilaf, Mai, and Shu choices out for the people who played them in the 1995 dub, since I really love those castings.
There are a few of these I'm not hugely sure about, but I think this could've been a fun cast that could've been put together in 2003 when AB Groupe had GT dubbed.
EnergizerConvoy wrote:[...] Giru [...] General Rilldo, Rage Shenron [...] Naturon Shenron [...] Haze Shenron [...] Nuova Shenron [...] Eis Shenron [...] Uub [...] Oceanaus Shenron
Small pet peeve of mine: They would have had basically the same scripting team as Blue Water did for their dub(Likely the exact same scripts in general, in fact), so those character names would be Gill, General Lock, Oob, and in order of star number on the dragons' heads: Ii Shenron, Ryan Shenron, San Shenron, Su Shenron, Oo Shenron, Ryu Shenron, and Chi Shenron.

Where exactly they got "General Lock", I'm not sure, but the dragon names come from romanising the Japanese pronunciations of their names(Like in this Kanzenshuu guide, except the spellings are slightly different. Take a look at that guide if you're at all confused by my explanation of the dragon names, it's rather informative, though unfortunately missing any mention of the BW dub), similar to the logic used to get "Shenron", except compared to the direct romanisations, they also changed "Shinron"("Xing Long", if you romanise it directly from Chinese) to "Shenron".
Given the fact they got the dragon names basically right, and their generally good handling of the translation and adaptation, I imagine "General Lock" has some sort of logic behind it, but exactly what that logic is eludes me completely. My best guess is it's some kind of obscure/old colloquialism in Japan that one of their translators clued into that no one else in the English fandom has.

Also, you listed Matthew Erikson as Gill in your casting; he's a Calgary-based actor -- or at least, he was when GT was being done, I'm not sure about now -- thus he could work for Blue Water, but not the Vancouver Ocean studios(In fact, he played Trunks in Blue Water's GT), so... Not to shatter your fantasy, but realistically, he wouldn't have been cast if they'd done GT in Vancouver.
If we allow Blue Water actors, I'd probably put Gill down as the guy who voiced him in BW's dub -- allegedly, either Nathan Simpson, or your choice of Matthew Erikson. Not sure which...
I'd also keep their Pan, Trunks, Chi Shenron, and Ultimate Shenron(The one you call Black Star Shenron).
Thanks. I pretty much can keep Erikson as Giru, cause he's honestly a better fit than Strait.

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Sun May 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Wasn't there already a GT Ocean Dub?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Lupin Vegeta wrote:Wasn't there already a GT Ocean Dub?
Technically, yes.

The voices were done at the Blue Water studio in Calgary though, so the familiar Vancouver cast from the Ocean Z dubs aren't present in that dub.

Blue Water GT is a good dub(Far superior to Funimation's; Blue Water did their own scripts that were very accurate, they kept the original score, etc.), don't get me wrong, but it's not an Ocean dub as you'd typically think of it.
EnergizerConvoy wrote:Thanks. I pretty much can keep Erikson as Giru, cause he's honestly a better fit than Strait.
Well, IMO most of the Blue Water voices were better than Funimation's. :lol:

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote: I'd probably put Gill down as the guy who voiced him in BW's dub -- allegedly, either Nathan Simpson, or your choice of Matthew Erikson. Not sure which...
It's Matthew Erikson. I don't even think anyone by the name of Nathan Simpson who acts at Blue Water exists.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:It's Matthew Erikson. I don't even think anyone by the name of Nathan Simpson who acts at Blue Water exists.
Indeed.

I can't seem to find Matthew Erickson on any social media or anything, so I don't think there's a definite way of finding out unless someone online has already somehow assembled a full cast list -- or if Ocean officially published their cast list -- for the Blue Water dubs that I never knew about.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon May 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Pan- Claire Corlett
Bra- Brynna Drummond

Think this would fit for many right reasons, though some might not get it.
Robo4900 wrote: Also, you listed Matthew Erikson as Gill in your casting; he's a Calgary-based actor -- or at least, he was when GT was being done, I'm not sure about now -- thus he could work for Blue Water, but not the Vancouver Ocean studios(In fact, he played Trunks in Blue Water's GT), so... Not to shatter your fantasy, but realistically, he wouldn't have been cast if they'd done GT in Vancouver.
Never saw Gundam Seed Destiny I take it? He's in there as Shinn.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 am

Super Sonic wrote:Pan- Claire Corlett
Bra- Brynna Drummond
Haha, I love it.
Super Sonic wrote:Never saw Gundam Seed Destiny I take it? He's in there as Shinn.
That was likely either after he moved to Vancouver, or after Ocean started intermingling the casts(Ocean Kai has a mixture of Calgary and Vancouver actors, I believe Ocean's Death Note dub had a couple of Blue Water actors...), or it was a Blue Water dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 am

Robo4900 wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote:Thanks. I pretty much can keep Erikson as Giru, cause he's honestly a better fit than Strait.
Well, IMO most of the Blue Water voices were better than Funimation's. :lol:
You think the Blue Water guy for Omega Shenron is better than Sabat? I'm not really a big fan of Sabat's voice for the character, but at least he sounds more distinctive, while the Blue Water guy sounds like a random guy they picked from the streets.

Also, while Schemmel wasn't anything amazing as Goku in GT, he was more emotive than his Blue Water counterpart.

I like the idea of the Ocean guys doing GT, because at least it would have been more tolerable than the Blue Water and Funimation dubs. The Blue Water dub might have better scripts, but the acting is fucking terrible most of the time.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:49 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:You think the Blue Water guy for Omega Shenron is better than Sabat?
Yes.
Though I think Bob Carter was better than either of them.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm not really a big fan of Sabat's voice for the character, but at least he sounds more distinctive, while the Blue Water guy sounds like a random guy they picked from the streets.
Eh, fair enough.
Honestly, I think both voices sound pretty much exactly like the stereotypical voice of their respective dubs. BW's sounds like a fairly indistinct tough guy, while Funi's is just angry Chris Sabat at a different pitch(In this case due to a pitch shift filter). I think BW's works better due to the fact it actually kinda fits the tone of the show, and it isn't that same Chris Sabat voice Funi had been putting on practically every character in the franchise since season 3 of DBZ, but BW's is hardly perfect.
Though really, like the character himself, the voice of Yi Xing Long in BW's dub is kind of just there. Bob Carter gave a pretty entertaining take that probably would have made him stand out a lot better, except that he was replaced by Chris Sabat's rather dull take on the character as soon as he powered up. :L

So, IDK... I can see why you wouldn't be a fan of BW's, but not only do I find Chris Sabat's to be a bit dull, but he replaced a VA who was actually pretty cool in that role, so that -- to me -- makes the Sabat Super Yi Xing Long voice even less appealing, since we've just heard someone who was better at it when Sabat steps in.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Also, while Schemmel wasn't anything amazing as Goku in GT, he was more emotive than his Blue Water counterpart.
Eh, I thought they were about on the same level. Neither was particularly outstanding, but both did their jobs okay.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I like the idea of the Ocean guys doing GT, because at least it would have been more tolerable than the Blue Water and Funimation dubs. The Blue Water dub might have better scripts, but the acting is fucking terrible most of the time.
BW was fine. A lot of incidental voices were a bit crap, but the main cast was good. Funi's was a lot more mixed; their Trunks and Goku were massively unfitting, and their Goku couldn't act, and Pan and Gill were just straight-up annoying, I seem to remember their Qi Xing Long was a lot less fun than the BW voice... But there were a lot of very good voices in Funi's too; McFarland's Baby was pretty good, Bob Carter's Yi Xing Long was good...
I think the thing is, BW often tended to go for much more real-sounding voices when not casting the really significant characters; they ended up a lot less distinct compared to Funi and Ocean's more cartoony voices, but the big guns ended up pretty good; Goku, Pan, Trunks, and Gill were all very good, most of the evil dragons were great, Baby was pretty great, etc.
Meanwhile, Funi tried to make absolutely everyone distinctive, but had a smaller casting pool than even BW, and they were trying to sound somewhat badass, so it ends up just sounding corny, and you get a lot of unintentional same-voice to the point where they ended up just pitching Sabat down to get a voice for Super Yi Xing Long...

Ultimately, I like the BW cast... But really, neither Funi or BW were anything to write home about. I wouldn't say either was total crap, but if both had used BW's scripts and kept the original music, I'd have a hard time deciding which was better. Both were plagued by massive underacting, and both had piles of bad castings... It's a toss-up. Thankfully, one has better scripts, the other was designed to fit a faux-badass tone that doesn't work, so it's clear which one is better.

If Ocean's Vancouver studio had done the voices for Canadian GT, it would've been a truly great dub.