Old artstyle vs New Artstyle 2.0

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Old artstyle vs New Artstyle 2.0

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Some poor quality expression sheets came out for the film. Even though they are low quality, I think I'm already falling in love with them, as you can already see how lively everything looks and we even get some unique angles in their(for example, that birds eye view shot of SSB Goku is extremely rare, so its fantastic to see it actually be given a place on the design sheets for animators to reference). Can't wait for a HD version.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:36 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I can't wait for the new wave of Gogeta merch.
You don't have to wait for long. :P

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Found some higher quality versions of parts of the expression sheets.
These are looking so good, I love them.

EDIT: Closier look at them.
For reference, here's a comparison between the Yamamuro expression sheets and the new Broly sheets for Goku.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:05 pm

God, there's so many classic faces in there, I fucking love them. Dragon Ball looks more like Dragon Ball now than it has since before I was born, it's such a god damned upgrade.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:16 pm

I'm not really a fan of Goku showing up on Earth already in Saiyan armour (not to mention reversing his savage side on first arrival), but that one drawing of him just looking at the viewer with an odd expression is just spot, on.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:47 am

I think its interesting to see that Shintani has picked up Toriyama's traits and feature placement a bit better since the full body shot was revealed.
I think people who are saying Shintani's Goku isn't really Goku enough really don't have that much of a leg to stand on anymore(considering now his traits are almost 1:1).

Anyway, dropping this here as well to sort of demonstrate how on-point the expression sheets are for Goku.

Would people agree with this analysis?
Vijay wrote: :D

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:33 am

These are beautiful! Before Shintani arrived, I didn't noticed how bad was Yamamuro.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:34 am

Sani007 wrote:These are beautiful! Before Shintani arrived, I didn't noticed how bad was Yamamuro.
Yamamuro definitely has a neat quality to it, but it's rigid geometry look doesn't leave a lot of room for the types of intense expressions that Dragon Ball often demands of the animations and drawings.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:57 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I like Shintani's new poster well enough, but his style is a bit inconsistent to me. Sometimes it's a bit too soft and round, and other times like the design sheets it looks more angular and more appealing to me.

These eyes are actually more in line with Toriyama's style. Most of you who think it looks off are just too used to Yamamuro's style which is sharper. Toriyama always drew the closed in eyes, especially for Goku, having more vertical space just as drawn here in the poster since Goku first became Super Saiyan.

Just saying.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Attitudefan wrote: These eyes are actually more in line with Toriyama's style. Most of you who think it looks off are just too used to Yamamuro's style which is sharper. Toriyama always drew the closed in eyes, especially for Goku, having more vertical space just as drawn here in the poster since Goku first became Super Saiyan.

Just saying.
Classic Toriyama's eyes are a bit softer, and spaced further apart, along with the nose and mouth being lower on the face, both of which makes the character look older and more intimidating:

Also, his modern style has the eyes slightly rounded out on the bottom too, and they're still just as far apart.

These eyes are a bit too big and close together, and it gives me a little bit of an old-school Mega Man X Inafune art vibe:

Either way, the face doesn't much look like the design sheets, and the shading is off too, so it's not my favorite Shintani piece of art. Having the eyes, nose and mouth closer together makes the character look younger and softer in my eyes.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:07 am

Here's an edit to the Gogeta image with the Maeda style (and I directly based it on this screenshot):

Was the aforementioned shot done by Masaki Sato? I know he did the Super Saiyan transformation, but I don't know if he also did the following shots of Goku. I guess it could also be Nakatsuru, but I don't know what to look for to tell them apart.

Ide is the only Junio animator I could tell apart from the others, since he always had exaggerated expressions.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:54 am

That shot was definitely Sato. His stuff always has really detailed line work.

Also I think you placed the features just a tad too low and too big
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:03 am

I literally overlaid the screenshot and brightened it so that I could just use the outlines as a base, redrew the mouth to be a smirk, then I colored it in. :P
I think the lighting makes it look that way, though.

Raising and shrinking the nose and mouth slightly does look a bit better tough, and is more in line with the rest of Sato and Junio as a whole's work:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 am

I don't have any real issue with the original poster, but holy crap, it's nice to finally see an edit that isn't a total fucking dumpster fire that totally ignores the entire intent of the new art style.

Would like to see that edit with the original shading in tact, though. Not a huge fan of the intense shading in the center of the face when the light is coming from below.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Ajay wrote:I don't have any real issue with the original poster, but holy crap, it's nice to finally see an edit that isn't a total fucking dumpster fire that totally ignores the entire intent of the new art style.

Would like to see that edit with the original shading in tact, though. Not a huge fan of the intense shading in the center of the face when the light is coming from below.
Here you go:

With the lighting I was trying to continue the same type of shading that the forehead had, and the same kind of middle-of-face shading in Z whenever a character was glowing.

I think it looks fine without it with this Sato style though.

Also, sorry if you were referring to my previous Yamamuro edit. It was mostly for fun, and while I do aesthetically prefer Takahashi keeping the Buu-era Yamamuro designs alive, I still like Shintani's designs a lot, and I understand them being both closer to Toriyama's modern style, as well as being easier to animate. I just mostly didn't like the spacing between the eyes, the height off the eyes and the overly round mouth. I felt it didn't quite match Shintani's other designs perfectly. I don't think it's "terrible", just "off".

A bad piece of art trying to follow the movie's designs would be this one:
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:34 pm

My favourite piece of promo art for Gogeta I love this soooooo much!
Couple months ago we had art for old Gogeta night and day how much better this is.

Even shit promo artisit is doing decent with these designs. I sincerely hope this is the new look for DB from now on. It seems everyone is benefiting from them.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:My favourite piece of promo art for Gogeta I love this soooooo much!
Couple months ago we had art for old Gogeta night and day how much better this is.

Even shit promo artisit is doing decent with these designs. I sincerely hope this is the new look for DB from now on. It seems everyone is benefiting from them.
I actually really like that previous art too. It captures the old Yamamuro designs better than any other modern official promo art has.

The promo art as a whole has definitely improved though. I'm back to being able to enjoy the artwork being released like the old days. :mrgreen:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Also, sorry if you were referring to my previous Yamamuro edit. It was mostly for fun, and while I do aesthetically prefer Takahashi keeping the Buu-era Yamamuro designs alive, I still like Shintani's designs a lot, and I understand them being both closer to Toriyama's modern style, as well as being easier to animate. I just mostly didn't like the spacing between the eyes, the height off the eyes and the overly round mouth. I felt it didn't quite match Shintani's other designs perfectly. I don't think it's "terrible", just "off".
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't even realise you'd done a Yamamuro edit. :oops: I was just referring to the endless redraws I've seen on Twitter over the past few days that were either super ugly or just ancient in their approach.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:My favourite piece of promo art for Gogeta I love this soooooo much!

I actually really like that previous art too. It captures the old Yamamuro designs better than any other modern official promo art has.

The promo art as a whole has definitely improved though. I'm back to being able to enjoy the artwork being released like the old days. :mrgreen:
Indeed! It feels so nice. Like the UDM arts were the only things I'd be looking forward once good promo artisit took them over. But unfortunately that was all s/he got to do until last couple of months when they took over Ichiban Kuji art duties and were also on stuff like the metallic sheets (Bandai will be releasing some early December so more art to look forward too!)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 am

My final edit: straight up classic Yamamuro Gogeta, done with the same method as my Sato one by overlaying a screenshot and modifying it so that it's as exact as possible:

Also, comes complete with the classic widow's peak.

Also, tweaked the Sato one with the widow's peak from the design sheets: