Old artstyle vs New Artstyle 2.0

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Old artstyle vs New Artstyle 2.0

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Thing is, Goku's wristbands have always been a lighter blue than his undershirt.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Thing is, Goku's wristbands have always been a lighter blue than his undershirt.
Wow, I never noticed this little detail. I wonder why the anime team decided this, considering I have just seen a few of Toriyama's colored artworks and it seems like he always colored Goku's wristbands the same as his undershirt, and the same happens in the full color manga. I prefer it this way, as I don't think it makes much sense for Goku's wristbands to be lighter than his belt or undershirt.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm

emperior wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Thing is, Goku's wristbands have always been a lighter blue than his undershirt.
Wow, I never noticed this little detail. I wonder why the anime team decided this, considering I have just seen a few of Toriyama's colored artworks and it seems like he always colored Goku's wristbands the same as his undershirt, and the same happens in the full color manga. I prefer it this way, as I don't think it makes much sense for Goku's wristbands to be lighter than his belt or undershirt.
I didn't notice that at all as well.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:20 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:
If I were to guess as to why, I'd say that the undershirt is darker to make it stand out less, while the wristbands are brighter for the opposite reasons.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Here's a slightly better look at the designs.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Here's a close up of Goku and Vegeta's faces. Glad we can make out the nose now. Also glad that appears to not be a void in the face.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:26 am

JazzMazz wrote:Here's a slightly better look at the designs.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Here's a close up of Goku and Vegeta's faces. Glad we can make out the nose now. Also glad that appears to not be a void in the face.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yes!!!!!!!!! Thank Kami they're lighter blue then the first couple scans made out! I have made peace with no SSGSS bang, Shintani's SS is much different to Yamamuro's and from the back it looks like nice.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Here's a slightly better look at the designs.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yes!!!!!!!!! Thank Kami they're lighter blue then the first couple scans made out! I have made peace with no SSGSS bang, Shintani's SS is much different to Yamamuro's and from the back it looks like nice.
I'm glad that you like it as well.
Majinwarman

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:29 am

KBABZ wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote: Wow, I never noticed this little detail. I wonder why the anime team decided this, considering I have just seen a few of Toriyama's colored artworks and it seems like he always colored Goku's wristbands the same as his undershirt, and the same happens in the full color manga. I prefer it this way, as I don't think it makes much sense for Goku's wristbands to be lighter than his belt or undershirt.
If I were to guess as to why, I'd say that the undershirt is darker to make it stand out less, while the wristbands are brighter for the opposite reasons.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1004748544106876928
Yup, btw thanks
Attitudefan wrote:
for making me aware of this, it's very interesting to see the complications that arise when going from comic to cartoon.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm

No problem man! :)

I have drawn Dragon Ball for yeaaaars and did minor animations too. (Nothing is on the internet... hopefully that will change). It was something I came to realize when colouring while looking at reference pictures years ago. I kinda like that the wristbands are different as it makes the costume a bit more complex with the extra colour differences.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Attitudefan wrote:No problem man! :)

I have drawn Dragon Ball for yeaaaars and did minor animations too. (Nothing is on the internet... hopefully that will change). It was something I came to realize when colouring while looking at reference pictures years ago. I kinda like that the wristbands are different as it makes the costume a bit more complex with the extra colour differences.
That is really cool to hear.
Majinwarman

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Designs for Freeza and Goku and Vegeta in winter jackets as well as new henchmen.

The Goku and Vegeta are nice and I'm getting a really Toriyama vibe from the designs of the henchmen.

I like Freeza's design on a whole, its certainly extremely imposing and powerful in its posture and body language, however, the eye shape for the 3/4's perspective is interesting. It seems to me to be Shintani incorporating Freeza's eye shape from his first form in DB minus, and seems sort of reminiscent of Toriyama's design for Golden Freeza which also had a more defined brow. I think its made even more odd by the side shot having Freeza's regular eye shape. Not sure what's going on there.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

What are people's thoughts on the newly released designs?

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 am

I can’t believe I now have to acknowledge Minus. Toriyama you mad man.

Loving the new designs, though. Goku and Vegeta’s winter jackets look slick as hell.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 am

JazzMazz wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Designs for Freeza and Goku and Vegeta in winter jackets as well as new henchmen.

The Goku and Vegeta are nice and I'm getting a really Toriyama vibe from the designs of the henchmen.

I like Freeza's design on a whole, its certainly extremely imposing and powerful in its posture and body language, however, the eye shape for the 3/4's perspective is interesting. It seems to me to be Shintani incorporating Freeza's eye shape from his first form in DB minus, and seems sort of reminiscent of Toriyama's design for Golden Freeza which also had a more defined brow. I think its made even more odd by the side shot having Freeza's regular eye shape. Not sure what's going on there.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Does anyone know what these designs are for? The new movie?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:30 pm

I find the jackets to be a bit odd. It's never bothered them before!

(well except that one time in Jingle Village, haha)

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:06 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Does anyone know what these designs are for? The new movie?
Yes, the designs are for the new film.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Woah, the new designs look great. Goku looks especially old school, which I dig heavily!!

Freeza's eyes look a bit strange in the more forward picture of him but looks normal when shown in profile.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 am

Btw, I'm sure VegettoEX and his gang have already covered this elsewhere. But just in case...

"レモ" (Lemo) is part of "レモン"; the Japanese way of spelling "Lemon".

"チライ" (Chilii/Chilee/Chiree/Chiylee) is an anagram of "ライチ"; the Japanese way of spelling a tropical tree fruit called "Litchi" or "Lychee".

"キコノ" (Kikono) is an anagram of "キノコ"; the Japanese word for "Mushroom". A more liberal translation could be something like "Roommush", "Shroomum", "Muromosh", or something like that.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 am

Fionordequester wrote:"チライ" (Chilii/Chilee/Chiree/Chiylee) is an anagram of "ライチ"; the Japanese way of spelling a tropical tree fruit called "Litchi" or "Lychee".
Wouldn't "Chilii" be "チリー" or "チリイ?"

"チライ" is Chirai/Chilai, isn't it?

Regardless, thank you for that post. I was having trouble thinking up what the pun could be. Funny enough, we already have a character with the lychee pun.

I gotta be honest -- I've had enough of Freeza. There's way too much involving him now. It's bad enough that he returned for a movie, which led to an arc in Super, then returned for a sizable chunk of the series, and now he gets his own spot in the new movie? I think it's overkill.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:"チライ" (Chilii/Chilee/Chiree/Chiylee) is an anagram of "ライチ"; the Japanese way of spelling a tropical tree fruit called "Litchi" or "Lychee".

It's more about trying to find a reasonable way of spelling it out in English. "Chirai" is a literal translation, yes. But it doesn't have any resemblance to how the actual fruit is spelled.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:

It's more about trying to find a reasonable way of spelling it out in English. "Chirai" is a literal translation, yes. But it doesn't have any resemblance to how the actual fruit is spelled.
Chelye? lol I don't know. I look at the puns to be based on what they're puns of, rather than being so on-the-nose and literal. Kind of like how "Kakarot" is not stylized as "Cacarrot" to fit "carrot" more.