Old artstyle vs New Artstyle 2.0

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Old artstyle vs New Artstyle 2.0

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:48 pm

JazzMazz wrote: However, I still fail to see how them looking younger is necessarily a bad thing.
For me personally it is. I like character/story/arc progression. I want to see characters age rather than making them look younger just for the sake of being able to continue with countless series/movies/spinoffs.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm glad that the hair is less detailed for Blue. I was kind of hoping that Shintani would take more from Toriyama's earlier Super Saiyan hair or from Hisada's hair in episodes like Episode #180, but oh well.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 am

Found the character sheet by Maeda for Freeza and king Cold in all their lucrative forms.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
How do people think the Freeza design that has been released for the new film compares to the original?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
In my opinion, the new designs are far better. The Maeda designs seem really wonky to me. Were they rushed?

I think its also worth noting that the new movie's Freeza design seems to have the same eye shape as Maeda's, but actually well put together. Both of which seem to have Freeza's final form eyes from his first appearance in the manga.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:43 am

Given that for SSGSS they're making the distinction that the designs are for Goku's dogi and Vegeta's combat armour, does that imply there are SSGSS designs for other clothes (ie winter one's)?

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Overall, I really do like the idea of them wanting to update things to look closure to Toriyama's Jaco Manga artstyle. I just like the appeal of the more realistic, and smaller body proportions and smoother, curvier lines on the characters over the angularity we've had for so long. What I don't want is, the lankiness though from Minus, but I'm glad they didn't do that. So far the the balance looks great, and the fixes up to Goku's face and arms also looks much better than the original teaser model.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

NormalHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NormalHero » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 am

maybe i'm crazy. but for me the best is the style from dragon ball final bout opening.
And for years i was in love with the art style of the istruction book For me best character design and palette for dragonaball. Unfortunatly I don't know who is the author.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:32 am

NormalHero wrote:maybe i'm crazy. but for me the best is the style from dragon ball final bout opening.
And for years i was in love with the art style of the istruction book For me best character design and palette for dragonaball. Unfortunatly I don't know who is the author.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I also love the art in Greatest Dragon Ball Z Legends (especially the cover, Goku in his blue gi, Gohan, and three-way Vegeta picture on the back cover).

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:56 am

NormalHero wrote:maybe i'm crazy. but for me the best is the style from dragon ball final bout opening.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Looks like Nakatsuru. That guy's a god.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 am

Speaking of Nakatsuru, Ajay recently found out his contributions to the DB Nippon special, which utilized Yuki Hayashi's character designs, and I think his contributions on it are shockingly similar to the new Shintani designs.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Would people agree with this?

I personally find it a little funny that the former visual face of the franchise, when made to reference looser designs, ended up having a general aesthetic that is almost identical to Shintani's designs for the new movie.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:27 am

They're definitely similar . Though I like the eye and nose placement in Hayashi's style a bit more tbh.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:30 am

LordCrumb wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: However, I still fail to see how them looking younger is necessarily a bad thing.
For me personally it is. I like character/story/arc progression. I want to see characters age rather than making them look younger just for the sake of being able to continue with countless series/movies/spinoffs.
Agree with this completely. I like Shintani's designs but after 30 years of more or less the same designs, I'd like to see them age. We already get to see what they'd look like 10+ years in the future in GT but it'd still be cool to see some aging in the new movie. Bulma looks younger in Super than she did throughout Z and Goten and Trunks don't look a day older. Krillin's somehow aged in reverse.

IgnorantFuniFan

Post by IgnorantFuniFan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:14 pm

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
As far as I am aware, he was an unnamed promo artist back in the 80s and 90s. As an illustrator I think he was the best and I can't believe nobody knows who he is!!
Let's just all get along and beat each other up

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I don't think it's that guy. His stuff tended to be more angular and the ears are usually a big giveaway
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 pm

The official movie poster has been released, and outside of the crazy bomb shell regarding the content of the film.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Outside of the crazy bomb shell regarding the content of the film the post itself I believe it looks spectacular, and showcases what we can expect the characters to be drawn like in the new film.

Outside of Vegeta's right arm, I love the way Goku and Vegeta are drawn, and I think it removes any doubts about the characters not looking "cool".

What are peoples thoughts on the character art in the new poster?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 pm

I am especially loving deep contrasting colors, the flame aura's and the flowing hair. Unlike the "lego-hair" (thank Ajay) we'vew been accustomed to dealing with.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 pm

I like how the hair is a little bit more puffy here, gives it a look reminiscent of the art when Goku first went Super Saiyan.

Same about the plot of the film, though.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:38 am

Here's a higher resolution look at the movie poster, that also includes a clearer view of the Saiyans back.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:27 am

I like that the SSJBlue aura is now transparent and hope that it looks like that in the actual film. Everything looks great!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I like that the SSJBlue aura is now transparent and hope that it looks like that in the actual film. Everything looks great!
Personally I still have a problem with it being a wispy After Effects effect. Gimme the hand-animated auras from the 90s anyday!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 am

The new movie poster has absolutely sold me new artstyle Shintani has provided.