Have the Japanese voice actors ever visited the UK?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Have the Japanese voice actors ever visited the UK?

Post by Deathbringer » Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 am

British fan here and after seeing some great videos of Kamehacon I'm wondering if the Japanese voice actors for the series have ever made an appearance at a UK convention? I was thinking to myself how much I would love to see Nozawa, Horikawa, Furuya, Tanaka, Furukawa and others in real life so it would be cool to know if they've ever come here before or if there are any chances of them ever coming here because I would book tickets for that in a heartbeat. I know that the Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure concert is going to tour the rest of Europe as well and I hope the UK doesn't get left out just because the companies handling it think that since we never got the JPN OST on TV means we've never heard it and don't love it.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Have the Japanese voice actors ever visited the UK?

Post by Danfun64 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Deathbringer wrote:British fan here and ... we never got the JPN OST on TV
Blue Water, Big Green, Kai 1.0, BOG, and Res 'F' would like to have a word with you.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Have the Japanese voice actors ever visited the UK?

Post by Weejus » Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

I asked the organisers of Digi-Con Genesis (an upcoming mostly Dragon Ball-themed convention in Sheffield, which seems to have booked a good chunk of the primary FUNimation cast) if they were planning to have any of the Japanese cast, and they said no. I hope it wasn't because of perceived lack of interest.

The UK simply isn't a big market in terms of Dragon Ball, even when the DB franchise had a successful run on broadcast television, and never has been. It is nowhere near the same realm of importance as even somewhere like mainland Europe. Dragon Ball products do sell in the UK (the Bricks were all successful, the new movies did well enough, Kai BD did ok, Kai DVD flopped, don't know about old DBZ movie BD sales yet, since they've just come out). I highly doubt any of the Japanese cast will ever come here, as when they usually come to the US, it's in relation to some big event (i.e. the BoG and RF premieres). The UK simply doesn't get those kind of events (BoG didn't make it to UK cinemas, and RF 'officially' was one night only), so there's no reason for them to come. As for Symphonic Adventure, if it comes here at all, it'll likely be one performance and just in London, as is typical.

Sorry for the negativity, I want to meet the JP cast just as badly as you do.