What would you say was Funimation’s best (or least bad) pre-Kai dub of something Dragon Ball related?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What would you say was Funimation’s best (or least bad) pre-Kai dub of something Dragon Ball related?

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Agreed 100%.
It's a shame Funi didn't do dub versions of the Z OPs/EDs for the "Remastered" DVDs like they did for GT, because their English covers of DB's and GT's were really great.
I LOVE the Funi version of Mystical Adventure, however for me the Dan Dan one I feel is let down on the instrumentation, and I'm still unsure if Vic was the best vocal choice.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: What would you say was Funimation’s best (or least bad) pre-Kai dub of something Dragon Ball related?

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 pm

KBABZ wrote:I LOVE the Funi version of Mystical Adventure, however for me the Dan Dan one I feel is let down on the instrumentation, and I'm still unsure if Vic was the best vocal choice.
Yeah, the instrumentation they used for Dan Dan wasn't good.
Though, I think Vic was a really great choice for that song.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 15, 2018 11:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I LOVE the Funi version of Mystical Adventure, however for me the Dan Dan one I feel is let down on the instrumentation, and I'm still unsure if Vic was the best vocal choice.
Yeah, the instrumentation they used for Dan Dan wasn't good.
Though, I think Vic was a really great choice for that song.
Maybe I'm a bit biased from his incredible take on Dragon Soul (aka the only good version). It also would have been awesome to have Kageyama based on this acoustic version, but I think that's because he makes anything awesome.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 pm

KBABZ wrote:It also would have been awesome to have Kageyama based on this acoustic version, but I think that's because he makes anything awesome.
His English pronunciation isn't that good.

But yes, that acoustic version is really kick-ass. I love it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:It also would have been awesome to have Kageyama based on this acoustic version, but I think that's because he makes anything awesome.
His English pronunciation isn't that good.
Well crap, you're right. I'd say stick to Japanese... but that would ruin the whole point of doing a new song, wouldn't it?