How would you change your least favourite saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

How would you change your least favourite saga?

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Mon May 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Everyone has saga's that they like or dislike but what changes would you make to the sagas you dislike to the point where you actaully might like them?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: How would you change your least favourite saga?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 14, 2018 11:05 pm

That's an interesting idea. If my least favorite arc is the Majin Buu arc, I suppose I'd have to do a lot of ground-up changes. The biggest changes I'd make would be not including Merging or Fusion. Gokuu would try to defeat Majin Buu with Super Saiyan 3 but run out of time on Earth before he can deliver the finishing blow, instantly popping back to Enma-daiou's place. From there I'd have the Mister Satan stuff play out as it does in the comic up until Evil Buu arrives at the Heavenly Realm to fight Goten and Trunks, who have been training with Piccolo. Trunks, Piccolo, Kuririn, Goten, Videl, Chi-Chi, Yamcha, Mister Popo, the Gyuu-Maou, the Muten Roushi, and #18 would fight Evil Buu until they are saved by Gokuu, Gohan and Vegeta, who Dende reveals he asked to be revived by the Namekian Dragon Balls. Together they overwhelm and defeat Evil Buu. Polunga revives the Earthlings while Shen Long revives Majin Buu at behest of Mister Satan, who rallied the people of the Earth together to help Gokuu form a Super Genki-dama to finish off Majin Buu.

I'd do that, but in the format of a thirteen episode series, adapting roughly four chapters per episode.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon May 14, 2018 11:40 pm

I would severely shorten the General Blue portion of the Red Ribbon Army arc. His section drags on way too long and the humor falls flat all around for me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 15, 2018 4:34 am

Years ago I probably would've given my ideas, but now I find these sorts of threads pointless because none of us could've come up with DB in the first place. Not saying no one here has talent or couldn't have good ideas, but our influences and sense of story (for lack of a better term) are different from Toriyama's not to mention that on at least some subconscious level, DB has influenced our sense of story.

I enjoy dissecting stories and what works, what doesn't, maybe even what I think the author could've done better, but not what I would've done.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 am

Get rid of the Yamcha memes, make Tenshinhan, Piccolo and Kuririn last longer in the tournament and have cutbacks to Earth during the Universe Survival arc.
Other than that and the length of the arc, everything else is fine.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am

I'd remove the entire highschool and Saiyaman aspect with Gohan and him becoming weaker due to lack of training. I always got the vibe Gohan would be someone who would maintain during off times as he seemed to have fun with it like Goku, just not on the same level as him. His hair would grow out again a bit due to him being a country boy, and he'd spend more time with the others. I would remove Goten from existence as well to give them more time for the other characters to shine and Trunks would not have Super Saiyan as I felt the kids getting it cheapened it a bit too much.

Goku would have his day back and his Super Saiyan 3 moment, but after his day runs out he has to remain in Other World and thus only Gohan and the other Z-Fighters can fend Buu off.

The situation with Fat Buu and Evil Buu I would change entirely and just make it that Buu transforms when the evil within takes over the goodness Hercule put in his heart and thus Super Buu is formed.

Gohan's Potential Unleashed I'd remove as I feel Super Saiyan 2 was essentially this plot device and it doesn't need to be repeated.

To make Kid Buu somehow work with all these changes, I'd have Goku get caught in absorption trying to rescue someone and for the time being Super Buu becomes Goku absorbed Super Buu and Gohan has to fend him off and fails to do so, but then when Goku's time runs out on his day on earth, Goku gets transported out of Buu's body and thus Buu loses this power but this in turn causes him to transform into Kid Buu and a final battle with Gohan begins.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 am

ABED wrote:Years ago I probably would've given my ideas, but now I find these sorts of threads pointless because none of us could've come up with DB in the first place. Not saying no one here has talent or couldn't have good ideas, but our influences and sense of story (for lack of a better term) are different from Toriyama's not to mention that on at least some subconscious level, DB has influenced our sense of story.

I enjoy dissecting stories and what works, what doesn't, maybe even what I think the author could've done better, but not what I would've done.
Honestly I agree with this and can't really think of any changes that would be better myself. Most fan ideas just seem outlandish and over the top in ways that don't gel with the rest of the series. Personally I wouldn't even trust myself to do better than Toriyama.

The one thing that I've mentioned once or twice would be having Goku become an adult again for the rematch with Baby in GT, but even then I actually like the dynamic of him going adult through SS4 only as it adds variety and gives the form an awesome contrast to his goofier kid form.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 am

ABED wrote:maybe even what I think the author could've done better, but not what I would've done.
I think the purpose of the thread is the former, not the latter.

As for me, I'd probably enjoy the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai more if the gag opponents like Ran-Fan and Bacterian were replaced with other opponents that lended themselves to more legitimate/exciting matches. Nothing that would change the tone too much (one of the wonderful things about Dragon Ball is how gradually and naturally it evolves), but maybe more fights along the lines of Goku vs. Namu or Goku vs. Jackie Chun, that are both lighthearted and fun while also being home to exciting martial arts battles; I honestly find that parts of the 21st Budokai don't have much rewatch value, less so than almost any other saga. That's not to say the saga should have been done that way (I'm just one random person), but I personally would have probably enjoyed things more that way. After the humor of the initial couple of viewings wore off, to me I was just left with a story arc where about half the fights feel kind of empty since they aren't particularly exciting at all.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Well, it’s not my least favorite saga but even I admit that there are things that don’t add up in the Cell Saga. Truthfully, the main thing I would change is the build up the Cell Games.

-An event happens in the Room of Space and Time where Gohan is on the edge of SSJ2. Being pushed by his father and his own desire to become strong enough to protect, he slips into the violent and sadistic mindset and nearly kills his father before he can snap out of it. While this reinforces Goku’s idea that his son’s power can defeat Cell, it petrifies Gohan.

-Goku tells Gohan about his plan to defeat Cell and that he thinks Gohan’s ability is going to be what saves them. Not wanting to disappoint his father, Gohan agrees but doesn’t know if he can let himself tap into that power again because “I’ll lose who I am and then I don’t know what’ll happen. I almost killed you before and I wasn’t even fully powered up!” He keeps these feelings to himself.

-Gohan’s reluctance to fight in the Cell Games comes out with a desperate plea but not for Cell’s sake. Rather, Gohan doesn’t know what he’ll do and is terrrified if he’ll attack his loved ones. Ultimately, it’s the Cell Juniors attacking his father and Piccolo and very nearly killing them that triggers his ascension.

-Gohan’s anger/pride clouds his vision as before and Goku ends up dying to save them. Following the battle though, Gohan is now convinced his power is far too dangerous to mess with and now that Goku is gone, he is not brave enough to try to master it on his own so he stops training not necessarily out of desire but because he doesn’t want to kill anyone else. This mindset maintains until the Buu Saga, where Gohan’s lack of training has been slowly gnawing at him. When he sees his brother gaining power (though not Super Saiyan just yet) he determines that he has to master his power so he can guide Goten in mastering his own, in order to prevent something like the Cell Games happening again.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Resurrection: F changes

-Instead of Sorbet and crew reviving Freeza, Cooler is brought into the series as he was in his debut movie and revives him for revenge on the Saiyans for tainting his family and empire's position in the universe.

-They train by fighting each other during the time of his revival instead of him just beating on Tagoma for a few months, and they're both only the level of Super Saiyan God, not Blue at their full power.

-Goku and Vegeta don't obtain Super Saiyan Blue in the arc, they obtain it during their 3 year training for the Tournament of Destroyers, to give Super Saiyan God a little bit more attention before it gets shafted.

-Instead of mindless fodder soldiers, the Z Fighters fight the Armored Squadron, Tagoma and Shisami.

-No Captain Ginyu crap, skip it.

-SSJ Goku vs Freeza and SSJ Vegeta vs Cooler, 1v1 and Saiyans have the advantage.

-SSJG Goku/Vegeta vs Golden Freeza and Final Form Cooler in a tag team bout, which Freeza and Cooler have the edge due to Goku and Vegeta's lack of teamwork Whis brings up earlier in their training.

-Freeza can't keep up his stamina for his Golden form due to him not being used to it unlike Coolers form, making them attempt to finish the fight with their strongest attack.

-No Whis rewinding time because Freeza is a sore loser, that stuff is gone.

-Freeza and Cooler combining their powers for a massive Supernova pushes Goku and Vegeta to work together, having them preform the Final Kamehameha they do during the Torunament of Power to go against the attack. They don't completely overpower them but win due to Freeza's weakened state during the struggle.

-Freeza and Cooler both die and Freeza's empire is gone completely like last time.

They can have little fanservice moments like Cooler blasting Piccolo down with the death beams, his transformation scene, etc. Vegeta will finally have a win against the main villain(s) although it's a duel victory. Freeza's training problem is lightened a bit and Super Saiyan God gets some love a bit more.

I guess change is a light word, and I just changed a lot of stuff.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Bah, screw it. I like the story of Dragon Ball Super but if we're going to start getting crazy I'd make these changes.

With regards to the Cell stuff, I always go back and forth when it comes to the Cell Games. I'm not happy with Gohan's arc throughout the Artificial Humans arc as a whole, so I think I need to think about what charges I'd make harder.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Tournament of power arc :

I'd have the teams be U6, U7, U10 & U11.

U10 would be introduced in the Black arc to develop some of the characters while U11 is introduced in the tournament.

I'd possibly bring the number of fighters down in each universe but in turn have them be more developed and important.

The format of the tournament will be a normal 1vs1 format as the characters and fights would be better focused on.

When it comes to U6, I'd introduce completely new characters like Hit so no Saiyans, Namakians or Frost.

The background or location of the tournament would be a lot more interesting than the boring area we got.

I'd have the winner universe only be able to bring back one of the three so there'd be some conflict between the U7 fighters on who to bring as each characters will want to bring their friends back.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Logania wrote:Resurrection: F changes

-Instead of Sorbet and crew reviving Freeza, Cooler is brought into the series as he was in his debut movie and revives him for revenge on the Saiyans for tainting his family and empire's position in the universe.

-They train by fighting each other during the time of his revival instead of him just beating on Tagoma for a few months, and they're both only the level of Super Saiyan God, not Blue at their full power.

-Goku and Vegeta don't obtain Super Saiyan Blue in the arc, they obtain it during their 3 year training for the Tournament of Destroyers, to give Super Saiyan God a little bit more attention before it gets shafted.

-Instead of mindless fodder soldiers, the Z Fighters fight the Armored Squadron, Tagoma and Shisami.

-No Captain Ginyu crap, skip it.

-SSJ Goku vs Freeza and SSJ Vegeta vs Cooler, 1v1 and Saiyans have the advantage.

-SSJG Goku/Vegeta vs Golden Freeza and Final Form Cooler in a tag team bout, which Freeza and Cooler have the edge due to Goku and Vegeta's lack of teamwork Whis brings up earlier in their training.

-Freeza can't keep up his stamina for his Golden form due to him not being used to it unlike Coolers form, making them attempt to finish the fight with their strongest attack.

-No Whis rewinding time because Freeza is a sore loser, that stuff is gone.

-Freeza and Cooler combining their powers for a massive Supernova pushes Goku and Vegeta to work together, having them preform the Final Kamehameha they do during the Torunament of Power to go against the attack. They don't completely overpower them but win due to Freeza's weakened state during the struggle.

-Freeza and Cooler both die and Freeza's empire is gone completely like last time.

They can have little fanservice moments like Cooler blasting Piccolo down with the death beams, his transformation scene, etc. Vegeta will finally have a win against the main villain(s) although it's a duel victory. Freeza's training problem is lightened a bit and Super Saiyan God gets some love a bit more.

I guess change is a light word, and I just changed a lot of stuff.
Nah Frieza returns in the tournament of power and gets fully revived by whis revives his empire.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 pm

sintzu wrote:Tournament of power arc :

I'd have the teams be U6, U7, U10 & U11.

U10 would be introduced in the Black arc to develop some of the characters while U11 is introduced in the tournament.

I'd possibly bring the number of fighters down in each universe but in turn have them be more developed and important.

The format of the tournament will be a normal 1vs1 format as the characters and fights would be better focused on.

When it comes to U6, I'd introduce completely new characters like Hit so no Saiyans, Namakians or Frost.

The background or location of the tournament would be a lot more interesting than the boring area we got.

I'd have the winner universe only be able to bring back one of the three so there'd be some conflict between the U7 fighters on who to bring as each characters will want to bring their friends back.
Nah Universe 6 is the twin universe 7 it wouldn't make sense to introduce new characters so soon. Also Universe 10 had Zamasu as the main villain in the future trunks and the team in the tournament of power they are just fodder so why bother with them?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Universe 10 had Zamasu as the main villain in the future trunks and the team in the tournament of power they are just fodder so why bother with them?
I'd use the Black arc to introduce well written characters, not the losers we got. Black is a U10 villain so it'd make sense for a few fighters from there to try to control the situation before being forced to rely on U7 for help.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Nah Frieza returns in the tournament of power and gets fully revived by whis revives his empire.
No duh? He could still be brought back for the tournament later, he's dead in the story and in the changes I put, nothing would be different later in the story.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 pm

sintzu wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:Universe 10 had Zamasu as the main villain in the future trunks and the team in the tournament of power they are just fodder so why bother with them?
I'd use the Black arc to introduce well written characters, not the losers we got. Black is a U10 villain so it'd make sense for a few fighters from there to try to control the situation before being forced to rely on U7 for help.
But Gowasu and Zamasu were the focus in the Future Trunks series and Beerus pretty much ruined Zamasu before he can act in the present. Besides all of the fighters were gonna be jobbers anyway. Besides on the promotional the characters we saw were Jiren,Toppo,and Dyspo of Universe 11,Ribriane of Universe 2,and The saiyans,Frost,and Hit of UNiverse 6.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Toxin45 wrote: But Gowasu and Zamasu were the focus in the Future Trunks series and Beerus pretty much ruined Zamasu before he can act in the present. Besides all of the fighters were gonna be jobbers anyway. Besides on the promotional the characters we saw were Jiren,Toppo,and Dyspo of Universe 11,Ribriane of Universe 2,and The saiyans,Frost,and Hit of UNiverse 6.
It doesn't matter how the arc was promoted as this topic is about how we'd change what we didn't like. I'll take a few developed characters over a huge number of cookie cutters any day.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

sintzu wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: But Gowasu and Zamasu were the focus in the Future Trunks series and Beerus pretty much ruined Zamasu before he can act in the present. Besides all of the fighters were gonna be jobbers anyway. Besides on the promotional the characters we saw were Jiren,Toppo,and Dyspo of Universe 11,Ribriane of Universe 2,and The saiyans,Frost,and Hit of UNiverse 6.
It doesn't matter how the arc was promoted as this topic is about how we'd change what we didn't like. I'll take a few developed characters over a huge number of cookie cutters any day.
Yeah and Gowasu was the developed character that you said about.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Yeah and Gowasu was the developed character that you said about.
Never said I'd take him out, I'd just add 2-3 characters who'd take part in the tournament.