How would you feel if Toriyama killed your favorite character permanently?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

How would you feel if Toriyama killed your favorite character permanently?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 am

I dont want anyone to die. The day he goes through with such a thing will be a sad one indeed. But how would YOU feel if he did?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: How would you feel if Toriyama killed your favorite character permanently?

Post by Vijay » Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 am

My fav is Goku

And darn sure he wouldnt die. Poster boy of DragonBall

But Toriyama made a shocking decision to kill Goku in Cell Arc, which was genuinely dark & sad af

Dat was the moment when I felt Toriyama killed Goku for good, now we're stuck with his proxy: Goten in Boo Arc

But hey, even dat turned out to be a troll & y'know how a dead guy returned to save world of living...Goku's Zeus gosh....

As of now, post-Super era I dont really care if AT kills any character honestly. Speaks volume bout quality of show & its characters lol

Even if he does make the hard decision & kills Goku or Veggie, I'd laugh my arse off & proceed to watch DB, Z & GT

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 16, 2018 7:53 am

Considering how long DB is and how many resurrections there have been, I would have a hard time believing they would make good on that promise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 am

I mean, I like characters like Dabra and the Ginyu squad, and they're pretty much dead permanently. I would've liked it if they'd stuck around a bit longer because they had a lot of unexplored potential as characters.

My actual favorites include Tenshinhan and Muten Rôshi, whom I guess you could consider "permanently dead" once they were no longer involved in the story. So I really liked seeing them return for the Tournament of Power, even if they weren't the most useful in it. I was happy that they were included at all.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am

Here's the thing, he's already dead. At this point, all I want for him is just to appear more, even if it's just flashbacks. No need to bring him back, just give him more character development and screentime.

Considering a lot of people already have their own happiness in Dragon Ball Super, each with their own favorite character, I think it is high time for me to be happy with the "main series" by seeing my favorite character appearing and getting his moment to shine as well.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 am

I would be sad that's probably what most people would feel like. The rest of my emotions would depend on how the characters death and arc were handled.

My favorite character is Vegeta and I would be satisfied if his deaths on the manga were permanent, with the change of him actually killing Majin Boo on his second one. Such an end would beautifully close his story. His first death at the hands of Freeza isn't heroic by any means, it's an excellent end to him because he pours his heart out and reveals to us why he is who he is before putting his hopes on Goku.

To give an example of deaths which left a bad taste in my mouth, Goku in Trunks timeline. A virus..., that's honestly just an excuse to kill him off and didn't add much to the character or the overall story.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 am

My favorite character is Vegeta and I would be satisfied if his deaths on the manga were permanent, with the change of him actually killing Majin Boo on his second one. Such an end would beautifully close his story. His first death at the hands of Freeza isn't heroic by any means, it's an excellent end to him because he pours his heart out and reveals to us why he is who he is before putting his hopes on Goku.
I don't think killing Buu is neccessary for that moment to be resonant. For once in his life, he put his life on the line for people he cares about. However, I still think having him come back and admit that Goku is no. 1 was the true completion of his character arc. I wish he hadn't been resurrected by the DB's. Staying in the afterlife and recognizing Vegeta wasn't a good person just because he did some good deeds at the end would've been a satisfying ending for him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am

If I had a favorite character, I wouldn't mind. It would be quite a welcome change for me in case the character in question would have no more use in the story.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 am

He did. Zamasu is dead.

How do I feel? It is what it is.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:I mean, I like characters like Dabra and the Ginyu squad, and they're pretty much dead permanently. I would've liked it if they'd stuck around a bit longer because they had a lot of unexplored potential as characters.

My actual favorites include Tenshinhan and Muten Rôshi, whom I guess you could consider "permanently dead" once they were no longer involved in the story. So I really liked seeing them return for the Tournament of Power, even if they weren't the most useful in it. I was happy that they were included at all.
At least all five ginyu's are together.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 16, 2018 1:43 pm

I'll be fine as long as Goku or Vegeta survive. If both die then... :cry: :thumbdown: :yawn:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Depends on how they go about it I guess.

If Hit was on an assassination job, and failed to eliminate his target and died fighting to the death then I'd be disappointed that he wouldn't be in the show anymore, but he went out in style.

Now if he goes out like a weenie like Ginyu in Super, I'm gonna be a bit pissed.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 pm

He already did, along with his brother. Kinda. Probably.
Toriyama wrote:Ye~ah… they got mixed up in something or other and died, but they were bad people, so perhaps they weren’t restored to life…
Goodnight, sweet prince.

I'm just taking it day by day, you know?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Idk. My favourite character is GT Pan and Toriyama didn't really make GT story and i doubt he will ever continue GT (considering EoZ characters being already too old for him).

And since even 100 years after GT, Pan is still alive, she will never be killed permanently by TOEI either.
Because even if Toriyama continued after EoZ (not likely) and kill Pan (even less likely lol), it's still not GT Pan, so...

Pan-chan is IMMORTAL :lol:

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Cetra wrote:He did. Zamasu is dead.

Wait your favorite character is Zamasu but you like GT better than DBS? That is very puzzling to me

If Vegeta was killed permanently I would have a hard time watching the series after that. But I mean that'll never happen because death is a joke in the series.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 pm

PFM18 wrote: Wait your favorite character is Zamasu but you like GT better than DBS? That is very puzzling to me
Well it's not like having a favourite character makes series favourite as well.
I actually know few people that are big fans of Zamasu/Goku Black yet they say Super is overall a bad series and much worse than GT.
Even though i don't like him, he is considered the highest point of DBS by most people.

I mean there is huge amount of SSJ4 fans and many people think GT is bad series yet they consider SSJ4 to be the best SSJ form.
Most people would say SSJ4 is better than any form in Super yet many of them are fans of Super and don't like GT at all.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Wait your favorite character is Zamasu but you like GT better than DBS? That is very puzzling to me
Well it's not like having a favourite character makes series favourite as well.
I actually know few people that are big fans of Zamasu/Goku Black yet they say Super is overall a bad series and much worse than GT.
Even though i don't like him, he is considered the highest point of DBS by most people.

I mean there is huge amount of SSJ4 fans and many people think GT is bad series yet they consider SSJ4 to be the best SSJ form.
Most people would say SSJ4 is better than any form in Super yet many of them are fans of Super and don't like GT at all.
Yeah that is fair. I like SSJ4 a lot but I know that GT is terrible. And a lot of people like Baby and his arc despite disliking GT as a whole.

Didn't really think about it that way. These are fair points

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 pm

My favorite is Son Gokuu, so I would not be entirely pleased unless Toriyama really felt interested in the work he was creating. Assuming he will never get rid of Gokuu, though, my second favorite would be Vegeta! No more Vegeta would be really disappointing because I really like the dynamic Toriyama had given then in the last two films.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 am

PFM18 wrote:
Cetra wrote:He did. Zamasu is dead.

Wait your favorite character is Zamasu but you like GT better than DBS? That is very puzzling to me

If Vegeta was killed permanently I would have a hard time watching the series after that. But I mean that'll never happen because death is a joke in the series.
Toei's Zamasu saga is the highest thing in my Dragon Ball favourite list EXCEPT for GT's ending when Goku charges the Genkidama, Pan feels he is still here, looks at the city and cries saying "Ojii-chan ...!" together with her flying back and saying "Ojii-chan, kami-sama mitai!" as well as the last episode of GT altogether so there is no puzzle. I also consider apart from some GT moments Toei's Zamasu saga the only thing in Dragon Ball that can be considered to have a story as I as an RPG player am used to story-heavy work and consider shallow story pretty much the same thing as no story at all. So Toei's Zamasu was an incredible addition for the franchise for me. Including the way they made the saga. And Gattai Zamasu is the best thing they could have ever invented for someone like me.

Everyone who knows what my name means should understand how I can love the Zamasu saga. I am a major Square Enix freak. And Toei's version of Zamasu is a total fusion of Sephiroth (who happens to be my most favourite fictional creation), Master Xehanort, Ultimecia, Nintendo's Gyiyg/Giygas (not Square Enix though) and a few others. Also Trunks vs Zamasu was pretty much like the end of my favourite game of all time where Cloud fought his Lifestream battle with Sephiroth.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 11:06 am

Naturally I'd be upset. But the story can still remain engaging and intriguing despite my favourite character not being included it, it won't bother me at all.