Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:
The explanation given for why Goku had never combined Kaioken with Super Saiyan was that Super Saiyan energy was chaotic. Using Kaioken in combination with Super Saiyan would have torn him apart. God ki, however, is calm. This makes it easier to combine with Kaioken. While Super Saiyan 4 is seemingly more energy efficient than Super Saiyan 3, it and Blue are opposites. Blue is divine and serene. Super Saiyan 4 is beastly and fueled by rage. Based on that, I'd say that Super Saiyan 4 is incompatible with Kaioken.
If ssb requires a calm mind and serenity then how is goku able to use it when he's pissed off like when goku black told him about killing chichi and goten?

If he attempted kaioken at that moment, would it have killed him?
The same reason how Goku could access SS without being angry anymore.
This would be a good point if ssb was unlocked via rage. He got it by training and he said it required a calm mind and this was post having 3 years to train with it

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 22, 2018 8:13 pm

My big fear is that the fight is going to suck, which I always sense happens with this sort of event. :(
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote:My big fear is that the fight is going to suck, which I always sense happens with this sort of event. :(
Even though Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan vs Super Saiyan 4 is a big deal, it is not the main event, it is not the pinnacle of everything. Heroes is not building up stuff to that moment. In other words, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan vs Super Saiyan 4 is not supposed to be Avengers: Infinity War.

There is no reason to be so hyped just for that fight, certainly (and obviously) it will be a better fight than the ones seen in the UM1 trailers, but I highly doubt they will put a lot of effort into it as well. You're only going to disappoint yourself if you keep that hype just for a single fight, and surely it won't be Heroes/Toei fault.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 am

Grimlock wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:My big fear is that the fight is going to suck, which I always sense happens with this sort of event. :(
Even though Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan vs Super Saiyan 4 is a big deal, it is not the main event, it is not the pinnacle of everything. Heroes is not building up stuff to that moment. In other words, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan vs Super Saiyan 4 is not supposed to be Avengers: Infinity War.

There is no reason to be so hyped just for that fight, certainly (and obviously) it will be a better fight than the ones seen in the UM1 trailers, but I highly doubt they will put a lot of effort into it as well. You're only going to disappoint yourself if you keep that hype just for a single fight, and surely it won't be Heroes/Toei fault.
It's the piece being most heavily attached to the initial information about the plot. I'd say we're supposed to be excited to see this fight.

I'm afraid of getting another Gokuu versus Luffy versus Toriko.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Grimlock wrote:

It's the piece being most heavily attached to the initial information about the plot. I'd say we're supposed to be excited to see this fight.

Considering the movie taking up a lot of staff, and also the fact it appears to be a Yamamuro thing, what animator would you like to animate that fight?

If I were to choose among the staff that worked on Super, I wouldn't mind Kenji Miuma and Atsushi Nikaido handling that fight scene. They aren't exceptional animators by any means, but they are at least capable of delivering decent action.

gantarat

Post by gantarat » Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 am

I wonder anime will have OP-ED ?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am

JulieYBM wrote:It's the piece being most heavily attached to the initial information about the plot. I'd say we're supposed to be excited to see this fight.
We are, but not to the point of being sad if it turns out to be not the way we wanted. I know I won't get myself disappointed as soon as the fight is over, because this is not what I expect the most out of all this. If it turns out to be a quick, without a definitive conclusion fight, then I'll be okay nonetheless.

Unless you're speaking animation-wise, a beautiful fight to be seen. If so, well... I also don't care much about the quality of the animation, as long as it doesn't turn out to be Dragon Ball Super's Episode 5, I'll be okay with it too.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed May 23, 2018 11:07 am

JazzMazz wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Grimlock wrote:

Considering the movie taking up a lot of staff, and also the fact it appears to be a Yamamuro thing, what animator would you like to animate that fight?

If I were to choose among the staff that worked on Super, I wouldn't mind Kenji Miuma and Atsushi Nikaido handling that fight scene. They aren't exceptional animators by any means, but they are at least capable of delivering decent action.
I think that would be fine for due to it not being a regular TV show.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Wed May 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Can someone explain to me how ss4 vs ssb is a fight? All i've ever seen is that ss4 is way weaker than the god forms so what is the point of this?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:Can someone explain to me how ss4 vs ssb is a fight? All i've ever seen is that ss4 is way weaker than the god forms so what is the point of this?
Xeno Goku is much stronger than Super Goku. Super Saiyan Blue closes that gap, since it is stronger than Super Saiyan 4.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Please keep in mind that this discussion thread is for the upcoming promotional anime, which has not yet been released. Any in-universe (in-game?) strength comparisons would be best suited for an in-universe discussion (consider using The All-Purpose "Versus" Thread), or perhaps within a thread for an appropriate video game. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saturnine

Re: Dragon Ball Heroes is getting an anime adaptation.

Post by Saturnine » Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 pm

LightBing wrote:
However I expect buffoonery on the level of the 2nd half of Black's arc and the ToP arc. Only thing I'm looking forward is to see if these new villains are enticing. If people ate up Super, they'll consume this as well. In my eyes the bar is just getting lower, assuming they continue the feels over matter/rehash over originality formula.
Nah, if anything GT was closer to this fanservicy mindset, cramming in Cooler cameos and shit. Super only had references and homages, they'd never canonize Cooler, who himself was a reference an an homage. I think a change of mindset is necessary if you're to enjoy DB Heroes, definitely not a similar one that you'd have if you liked Super.

gantarat

Post by gantarat » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 am

Draconic wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:Can someone explain to me how ss4 vs ssb is a fight? All i've ever seen is that ss4 is way weaker than the god forms so what is the point of this?
Xeno Goku is much stronger than Super Goku. Super Saiyan Blue closes that gap, since it is stronger than Super Saiyan 4.
Fanservice That why and We don't know which form is stronger Until Xenoverse 2 and Heroes make both Goku fight each other.

But Dimp make SSJ4 = Blue in xenoverse 2 whlie Heroes Blue > 4 (the power gap between both form itn't large like Jiren vs Blue Goku.)

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Thu May 24, 2018 12:44 am

Saturnine wrote:
LightBing wrote:
However I expect buffoonery on the level of the 2nd half of Black's arc and the ToP arc. Only thing I'm looking forward is to see if these new villains are enticing. If people ate up Super, they'll consume this as well. In my eyes the bar is just getting lower, assuming they continue the feels over matter/rehash over originality formula.
Nah, if anything GT was closer to this fanservicy mindset, cramming in Cooler cameos and shit. Super only had references and homages, they'd never canonize Cooler, who himself was a reference an an homage. I think a change of mindset is necessary if you're to enjoy DB Heroes, definitely not a similar one that you'd have if you liked Super.
How do you know they'd never canonize cooler? After 131 episodes of DBS the fact that people still say " dbs would/will never ....." makes me laugh

Lets see

Freeza comes back again
17 comes back
F Trunks comes back
Evil Goku
Evil kai
pink form
shiny blue precure form
girl broly
female ssj
entire planet of nameks fusing
super sentai, mechs, magical girls, etc

If I had told you this would all happen in dbs way back in early 2015, you would have called me a lunatic fanfic idiot

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 am

BlueVegerot wrote:Evil Goku
Only Dragon Ball Heroes has that concept.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 am

BlueVegerot wrote: How do you know they'd never canonize cooler? After 131 episodes of DBS the fact that people still say " dbs would/will never ....." makes me laugh
Because he was literally a redo of Frieza made to capitalize on the former's popularity. A rehash, a derivative second-hand villain. Like most of Toei theatricals villains, really.

Lets see
Freeza comes back again
Yeah, but it's Freeza, the most influential villain in DBZ. Also, "again"? Just because he's been crammed into a lot of filler and GT (neither of which really counts), doesn't make the list of his canon appearances very long. In fact, in the canon timeline his only "comeback" was RoF, because he hadn't died until then. Bringing him back for the ToP was Goku's initiative. Not to mention the canon timeline events kept Freeza relevant, and in filler he was reduced to comic relief or a pushover, entry-level mook. Not even comparable.
17 comes back
What's wrong with that? We all knew he lived after the Android arc. He made a cameo in the Buu arc too.
F Trunks comes back
And for good reason, he was a very popular character.
Evil Goku
Yep, that was sort of a rehash of Ginyu, but also a good character and a believable villain. Quite unlike Turles, who just happened to look like Goku for a totally handwaved bullshit reason.
Evil kai
And nothing like this had ever been explored in DB media, not counting Toyotaro's AF comic and multiple fanfics. Just because fans came up with it first doesn't mean it wasn't new for proper Dragon Ball.
pink form
Yeah and how is that derivatve, again?
shiny blue precure form
Same. Just because some fanfic illustration drawers might have come up with something similar before, doesn't mean Toriyama plagiarized his own fans. There are only so many ways you can design a simple transformation, so it's entirely likely Toriyama came up with it independently. Also, much better that he did this than all those overdesigned fan transformations with markings on their faces etc.
girl broly
Yep, they introduced a Broly-like character to capitalize on his great popularity. But mind that they could have just brought back Broly himself, instead they went through the extra effort to create a new character as an homage, signalling a separation of the canon timeline from the movies, games etc. Not to mention Kale got a different final transformation than Broly, who the games have always keep his ridiculous bulk.
female ssj
Yeah, something the fans have been clamoring for for ages. Many cite Pan not going SSj as a common complaint about GT.
entire planet of nameks fusing
Not necessarily ripped off Multiverse, again this is the sort of thing anyone could come up with after some thinking, in fact it's a pretty logical way to go in times of such peril. Also, I think it was only dozens to hundreds of Namekians, not the entire civilization.
super sentai, mechs, magical girls, etc
These are just harmless, comic relief spoofs of those types of franchises, perfectly in line with Toriyama's brand of humor.
If I had told you this would all happen in dbs way back in early 2015, you would have called me a lunatic fanfic idiot
Not really. See, there's a difference between trying new things and doing homages than just cramming non-canon stuff into the main timeline with no justifiable explanation. Nothing Super ever did directly canonized anything from the games or theatricals, while Heroes is doing nothing but.

Oh and last but not least, just because fanfic writers came up with something that later ended up appearing in the main series in some shape or form, doesn't mean it's automatically bad. Most fanfic writers have trash ideas, yes, but some occasionally come up with something really good.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 24, 2018 9:32 am

These excessive single-line back-and-forths are explicitly frowned upon in our community guidelines; they do not foster conversation, and are inherently antagonistic in nature. Furthermore, this has little (nothing?) to do with the promotional anime being discussed in this thread.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu May 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Its's a bit sad to say this but from the plot and trailer this actually looks promising lol

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:Its's a bit sad to say this but from the plot and trailer this actually looks promising lol
How is it sad?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu May 24, 2018 3:00 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:Its's a bit sad to say this but from the plot and trailer this actually looks promising lol
How is it sad?
Well I mean if a 100% promotional anime based on a side-product which is non canon turns out to have better intrigues, story, direction and animation than the official continuation aka Super with Toriyama behind it... I'll enjoy a good show but it will hurt lol