Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:12 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:Wonder how long till it's coming out now.
July 1st, my good user
Thank you, user of superb taste in avatars

*dabs in universe 6*

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 am

Is anyone else infinitely more excited for this than the new movie?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 am

Me, of course. A new, different, awesome and more content/lore to this franchise. A cast way more interesting confirmed so far. No way one cannot be more excited for this.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:35 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Is anyone else infinitely more excited for this than the new movie?
Absolutely not. The new movie is shaping up to be the most exciting Dragon Ball movie ever. This Heroes anime is more of an appetiser that'll keep the Dragon Ball fan in me busy until December comes around.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Is anyone else infinitely more excited for this than the new movie?
I don't see any reason why anyone should be more excited for this than the new movie.

Actually, scratch that.

I don't see any reason why anyone should be excited for this in general.

The teaser they released was pretty much the equivalent of anti-hype. Dragonball is no stranger to terrible teaser trailers, thanks BOG and ROF, but I think this is probably the worst teaser trailer we've ever gotten for Dragonball. It was absolutely abmysmal.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:59 am

Yeah man, definitely. I've been crying out for years (silently) for S/DBH to be adapted into an anime, and this is just the beginning and I'm so excited!

I hope it does commercially well so that we get more in the future

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am

JazzMazz wrote:
I don't see any reason why anyone should be more excited for this than the new movie.

Actually, scratch that.

The teaser they released was pretty much the equivalent of anti-hype. Dragonball is no stranger to terrible teaser trailers, thanks BOG and ROF, but I think this is probably the worst teaser trailer we've ever gotten for Dragonball. It was absolutely abmysmal.
My reasoning mostly boils down to this: the Heroes thing knows its trash and isn't trying, therefore, I don't expect much from it besides pleasing me on a basic, fanboy-ish level. Which it's succeeding in it. It's not the next part of the big DB story so I don't care if the story's gonna be just a madhouse.

The new movie feels like it's generating a lot of buzz purely for the aesthetic change. Which, fair enough, I've wanted Yamamuro to go away for years now but It's kind of like, who cares? Dragon Ball, whenever it's actually tried to tell a story of some worth, has been consistently terrible for decades and the Super era has done nothing to advance the story quality anywhere but the next rock bottom.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:02 am

Some are, I’m sure as hell not one of em, but I can somewhat understand why others would be.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:03 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

Actually, scratch that.

My reasoning mostly boils down to this: the Heroes thing knows its trash and isn't trying, therefore, I don't expect much from it besides pleasing me on a basic, fanboy-ish level. Which it's succeeding in it. It's not the next part of the big DB story so I don't care if the story's gonna be just a madhouse.

The new movie feels like it's generating a lot of buzz purely for the aesthetic change. Which, fair enough, I've wanted Yamamuro to go away for years now but It's kind of like, who cares? Dragon Ball, whenever it's actually tried to tell a story of some worth, has been consistently terrible for decades and the Super era has done nothing to advance the story quality anywhere but the next rock bottom.
Correct me where I'm wrong, but you know its going to be trash, it doesn't act like its not going to be the worst trash ever, so you're hyped for it, even though it is still the worst trash ever?

Your even more hyped for the absolute trashiest thing ever, over the thing that actually has a realistic probability of being actually good?

I think its worth noting the reasons why the recent Dragonball films have been overwhelmingly bad, is due to the sheer lack of genuine talent and creativity that has gone into the actual creation, and putting together of the recent films, have made them either the most middling mediocrity ever(like BOG), or just straight up awful(like ROF).
With the new creative direction from this film, I expect it to at least be engaging throughout its entire run, something I can't really say for either BOG or ROF.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:11 pm

JazzMazz wrote:[Correct me where I'm wrong, but you know its going to be trash, it doesn't act like its not going to be the worst trash ever, so you're hyped for it, even though it is still the worst trash ever?

Your even more hyped for the absolute trashiest thing ever, over the thing that actually has a realistic probability of being actually good?

I think its worth noting the reasons why the recent Dragonball films have been overwhelmingly bad, is due to the sheer lack of genuine talent and creativity that has gone into the actual creation, and putting together of the recent films, have made them either the most middling mediocrity ever(like BOG), or just straight up awful(like ROF).
With the new creative direction from this film, I expect it to at least be engaging throughout its entire run, something I can't really say for either BOG or ROF.
I don't think the new film has a legitimate chance of being good beyond a purely visual level. Everything from RF onwards has been relentlessly bland or just terrible on a narrative level. The Heroes anime is gonna suffer from the Yamamuro art style which is a shame but I would respect the entire franchise much more if it stopped all pretense of being anything of actual worth and just went into full-on shlock. At least with shlock, I have no big expectations beyond being a dumb good time which is the big reason the Heroes thing will strike a cord with them. Mainline Dragon Ball? It keeps on chugging along as though it's not one of the best examples of bad writing on multiple, fundamental levels and it seriously needs to die or accept it's worthless for anything but shlock.

Seriously, a "legitimate" Dragon Ball story has no chance of being good outside an absolute, scorched Earth reboot with a flaming, nuke mushroom cloud middle finger erected towards the trio de terrible (Toriyama, Toyotaro and Toei) which we know will never, ever happen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:12 am

Do we know where and exactly when episode 1 will be online?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:30 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Seriously, a "legitimate" Dragon Ball story has no chance of being good outside an absolute, scorched Earth reboot with a flaming, nuke mushroom cloud middle finger erected towards the trio de terrible (Toriyama, Toyotaro and Toei) which we know will never, ever happen.
You do realize that without that 'terrible' Toriyama, you wouldn't have the parts of Dragon Ball that you presumably do like, right? I'll never understand some people's ability to just toss Toriyama into the creative junk heap whenever a story point that doesn't fit with what they wanted happens, as if anything Dragon Ball would have happened without him in the first place.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:41 am

sangofe wrote:Do we know where and exactly when episode 1 will be online?
9PM Pacific Standard Time, as far as I can tell.

July really snuck up on me.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 am

It will be 1:00am for me, thankfully. Counting each hour! :)

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:48 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Seriously, a "legitimate" Dragon Ball story has no chance of being good outside an absolute, scorched Earth reboot with a flaming, nuke mushroom cloud middle finger erected towards the trio de terrible (Toriyama, Toyotaro and Toei) which we know will never, ever happen.
You do realize that without that 'terrible' Toriyama, you wouldn't have the parts of Dragon Ball that you presumably do like, right? I'll never understand some people's ability to just toss Toriyama into the creative junk heap whenever a story point that doesn't fit with what they wanted happens, as if anything Dragon Ball would have happened without him in the first place.
I don't see why Toriyama being good once upon a time ago excuses his inability to write the series worth a damn from the Android arc moving forward. He's been consistently getting worse and worse the more time has gone on. The only thing he's written entirely on his own (BoG doesn't count since he basically took another writers script and changed around a lot of it) that's been good is Jaco and even that's just okay at best, super highly overrated.

I do agree with you that fandom likes to throw away or put creators on pedestals based on really arbitrary things, like how George Lucas was called the worst guy ever over the prequels but now his same detractors are hailing him as a misunderstood genius because they hate the Disney regime. Or how Bruce Timm has lost his legion of fans for being a pervert which anyone with two functioning brain cells could've told you DECADES ago about him.

Now you can obviously say that because he's not really writing Super, more like giving them basic outlines, it's not entirely his fault for why it's been turning out and that's true. That's where Toei and Toyotaro are at fault, especially the former. Toriyama is not a planner, he's the guy who used to be good at making crap up on the spot and fitting it together. That's why putting him in a sort of planning role is possibly the most idiotic choice made about Super bar possibly airing it with less than 2 months of pre-production. Couple that with Toyotaro who has nothing interesting to say or do with the material and it's just a bad group of people putting this stuff out there.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:04 am

Grimlock wrote:It will be 1:00am for me, thankfully. Counting each hour! :)
Hoping it will be subbed officially.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:00 am

Oh shit, July's tomorrow. I thought it was the month after for some reason...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:02 pm

I just want to know that how much episode this series will long? And is this series sequel of dbs or not? Please can someone respond me about this

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:17 pm

sangofe wrote:Hoping it will be subbed officially.
Yeah, it would be better an official sub but I don't see it happening for some reason. I think it'll be like Episode of Bardock when it streamed in Jump Festa.
Super Saiyan God wrote:I just want to know that how much episode this series will long?
Two episodes have been confirmed so far.
sangofe wrote:And is this series sequel of dbs or not?
It is. It takes place after Universe Survival saga.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you for your respond but its hard to believe that new series is 2 episode also sequel of dbs. But thank you for respond