Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:10 am

Bullza wrote:I'll take the plunge. Here's a thing to the full episode without region locking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy41uRA21cI
I'd like to wait for a subtitled version to come out.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:18 am

Well, i knew the fight would be short. Of course the episode was very rushed and they needed all the time they could to explain what’s happening. The whole big event of SSB vs SS4 was really over hyped.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:19 am

Just watched it, yeah disappointingly short.

It's pretty much the same as the manga but a shorter version of it. Animation was nice and it'll be cool to see the other characters...but yeah this got too over hyped.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 am

There's nothing at all special about this anime, but I guess it's not exactly worthy of bashing either. It just kind of...exists. Though, despite not expecting much, I came out feeling even more "meh" than anticipated. Well uh, glad some people are liking it apparently?

AnAverageJoe1998

Post by AnAverageJoe1998 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:31 am

Well, that was unremarkable. I wasn't expecting much from a promo anime anyways, but :eh:. Visually dull, and the main "fight" was nothing. I feel this is a good showcase of everything that's wrong with Tadayoshi Yamamuro in the modern era. If I do have positives, I'm glad the filter from the Universal Survival Arc stuck around, and the music was actually pretty nice.

If this is going to be the quality throughout the whole series, I'm not sure I could even have fun with this as a guilty pleasure sort of thing.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 am

Episode summary:

Ep.1: “Goku vs Goku! A Super Battle Begins on the Prison Planet!”

On Beerus’ planet, Goku and Vegeta are sparring with Whis while Beerus himself naps nearby. Mai interrupts their training, telling Goku and Vegeta to come with her: it seems that Trunks has disappeared! Shin notes how Future Trunks had come to this planet for training. A purple man suddenly appears, saying he will tell them what has happened. He calls himself “Fu” and claims to be a friend of Trunks, who has gotten mixed up in something terrible, and is now on the Prison Planet.

Vegeta wonders how Fu knows this, but Fu explains that it’s only natural for him to investigate the situation since his friend’s in trouble. Fu explains how many dangerous criminals from throughout the universe are gathered on the Prison Planet; they’d better hurry or Trunks will be in trouble! With that, Fu disappears. Vegeta and Goku resolve to head off, while Whis is concerned about this “Fu” person. Shin meanwhile asks Mai to do him a favor.

Goku teleports himself, Vegeta, and Mai to the Prison Planet. Goku is amazed at the planet’s huge chains, while Vegeta immediately senses someone’s ki. It turns out to be another version of Goku, dressed in odd red clothes. While Fu observes things from a distance, this new Goku (“Goku Xeno” from here on out) spots him and says “I found you”, then immediately transforms into Super Saiyan 4 and charges regular Goku, who counters by becoming Super Saiyan Blue.

While the two Gokus battle, Goku Xeno figures that regular Goku must be his counterpart from “over there”, and wonders if he’s an ally of “him”. As the fight continues, Goku flies up and hits his head on an invisible barrier. Goku Xeno explains that this is a fully sealed-off space, so escape is impossible. The two Gokus fire Kamehamehas at each other, which cancel out. Goku Xeno says it was no use, though regular Goku doesn’t know what he means.

Fu laughs: just as you’d expect of the Saiyans, two Gokus make for extremely interesting specimens. Goku Xeno angrily fires a blast at Fu, but he easily deflects it. Fu knows that Goku Xeno was trying to use the Kamehameha clash to break through the sealed space, but assures him this is impossible. Still, it’s incredible for Goku Xeno to have thought up a plan like that on the spot; just what you’d expect of the Time Patrol!

It turns out that Goku Xeno is a member of the Time Patrol; he’s a version of Goku from another dimension, who works as a trans-dimensional cop. Vegeta points out that Fu sure knows a lot about the Prison Planet, and Fu happily explains that he created it as a laboratory. He gathers strong warriors from different universes here and has them fight…forever! However, Fu figures that Goku Xeno got captured on purpose, as part of his investigation.

Mai is angry that Fu lied to them, and wonders if Trunks is even here. Fu declares that Trunks has travelled through time, an unforgivable offense for a mortal, and so Fu is now having him pay the penalty. Besides, Fu knew bringing Trunks here would serve as excellent bait for the others. Vegeta demands to know where Trunks is, but Fu says they’ll have to find him themselves. Even if the group does locate Trunks, they'll still need to gather a set of special Dragon Balls to escape the planet. Goku Xeno already has one which Fu gave him, but the rest are all in the hands of strong prisoners.

Fu declares a start to his experiment and takes off. Elsewhere on the planet, Trunks awakens in a cell, and the doors mysteriously open. Venturing out, Trunks soon encounters Cooler, who demands Trunks hand over the Dragon Ball, though Trunks doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about. Fu monitors the situation on the planet from some sort of control room. All the players are assembled, and the most interesting experiment in the universe can enter its main phase. Behind Fu, a mysterious chained figure crackles with energy. Fu assures this "evil Saiyan" that his turn will come a bit later.

Next episode: "Goku Goes Beserk! The Evil Saiyan's Rampage!"
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:37 am

Thanks Herms! :D

This has to have more episodes! Other prisoners and such have been confirmed to be there too, they can't stop in the middle! Hopefully next V-Jump confirms more two episodes.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bonus Stage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bonus Stage » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:51 am

Please, could you translate the dialogues?

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 am

The episode itself was quite boring and I can't believe that the SS4 vs. Blue fight went so fast. I liked that they still use the filter from Super. I hope it gets better or else I'm not going to continue to watch anymore.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:18 am

Interesting how they gave Super Saiyan 4 the Super Saiyan Blue Egg shell thing during the transformation.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:33 am

This was somehow even more of a snoozefest than I expected it to be, and the story so far is complete nonsense. Not feeling it, honestly. Just looking at the preview for the next episode, it definitely feels like a throwaway promotional anime; to its credit, it never pretended to be anything more I suppose.

Despite the usual complaints about Yamamuro, I actually didn't mind the visuals so much. That's the one compliment I can give it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:35 am

If you've seen the 30 second trailer you've seen the episode. I know it's just for promotion but is that really the best they could've done ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:38 am

I wish it lasted a bit longer, at least 15 or 20mins... other than that I like it, Goku Xeno is way more serious than DBS Goku, that's a good point.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:29 am

I have to say that looked good

Much better than expected. Can't wait for an AnimeAjay's analysis.

Obviously, it was super short so it felt a little bit like a Trailer more than a episode. But i liked what i saw. :D
Xeno Goku is a badass.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:46 am

That was lots of fun, exactly what I expected

Loved the appearances of King Cold and Bojack, looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:13 am

That was....something, I guess.

I knew going in that it's not an actual episode, but still...that was a whole lot of nothing.

I like how Time Patrol Goku looks, and that's about it.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 am

What the fuck? A 1-minute fight? Geez... I mean that looked like shit too, but I'll take more shit-looking fighting if the fighters interact a bit and give the proper context and semblence of order I can't get by just having those guys fight in Xenoverse.
And Fuu talking for two thirds of the episode was a surefire way to make me lose any fondness I had for the character. I swear if I don't end up hating him by the time this is over I'll eat dirt.

The filter was a nice surprise. Nozawa is amazing as usual. But that's pretty much everything good about this. Super disappointed by this. Aren't promos supposed to be exciting? Doesn't that make you buy the product it's promoting? This is horseshit.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 am

Fu, you're looking more evil than usual.

Come on, man, XV2 showed us your weird morality! Let's see some of that goodness!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 am

That was....

SHORT

Entire SS4 vs SSB fight was just few punches and Kamehameha struggle and that's it.
It was cool to see SS4 though. He looks so different than he looked in GT. You can see how visuals have changed in last 20 years.
Or maybe it's just Goku Xeno that looks different, but i prefer original SS4 honestly.
It missed the dialogue on how different their forms are but maybe it will be in next episode. It would be cool if they shared with each other how they got those forms. Blue Goku would be surprised that the "red form" was achieved thanks to Pan who is still baby at this point.
Also, transforming into SS4 from adult form isn't as impressive as Goku transforming from kid form, especially if they show entire transformation:

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:25 am

Incredibly disappointing.

And what I feared would happen with the SSJB Goku/SSJ4 Goku match happened... it lasted less than a minute, looked boring and ended anticlimactically. This would be somewhat negligible if the story was at least interesting, but the story does nothing for me either.

I mean, I knew this was a promotional anime, but eight minutes of runtime? Really?