Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:33 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Nice. I like how Fu said that he wanted the foolish Future Trunks to pay the price for his unforgivable and blasphemous recklessness. Though a mere mortal, he has travelled through time and space and utterly disregarded the sacred laws of the world of Gods for way too long. Fu reminds me of Zamasu, and of his ultimate righteous crusade of supreme divine justice that was nobly justified.
Fu doesn't care for justice. He just cares about having fun and "science."
And my respect for Fu has completely vanished. What was I thinking? Did I seriously believe that a miserable spawn of the wretched Demon Realm could be as righteous and noble as the Supreme God himself?
He is just a little boy filled with curiosity. Also, why would a demon care about justice anyway? :)
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:35 pm

What a nothing episode, they couldn't even be bothered to make the big Goku vs Goku fight an actual fight.
Completely unsatisfying, and I already had zero expectations for this.
There's also the issue of them not bothering to do any set up, Trunks returns to do some training and gets kidnapped.... but that all happened off screen...

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Got inspired today and even made exception and drew some Super characters to celebrate SSJ4 appearing again :D
Also, did anyone notice that Xeno Goku's power pole just disappears when he turns SSJ4? Does he destroy it or is it just the same magic that modify and repair clothes on SSJ4?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:29 pm

My younger version would have loved those sprites. Too bad I don't care that much anymore about them these days. Still, good work. :thumbup:

So, I was thinking, episode two will be about Evil Saiyan rampage, Goku turning evil and Golden Cooler, all stuff from UM2. I think the episodes will continue to be eight minutes long so all of this can be shown within such timeframe. Which means Vegetto, who is already confirmed, will only appear in a likely episode 3 and it will cover whatever UM3 may present as well.

Maybe there will be an episode for each mission? If so, there will be ten episodes, and it may have an even longer gap compared to episodes 1 and 2 since Heroes updates each two months.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Grimlock wrote:My younger version would have loved those sprites. Too bad I don't care that much anymore about them these days. Still, good work. :thumbup:

So, I was thinking, episode two will be about Evil Saiyan rampage, Goku turning evil and Golden Cooler, all stuff from UM2. I think the episodes will continue to be eight minutes long so all of this can be shown within such timeframe. Which means Vegetto, who is already confirmed, will only appear in a likely episode 3 and it will cover whatever UM3 may present as well.

Maybe there will be an episode for each mission? If so, there will be ten episodes, and it may have an even longer gap compared to episodes 1 and 2 since Heroes updates each two months.
Thank you!

I wonder if Goku will recognize Cooler. People seem to think that this Blue Goku is just DBS Goku but if he know who Cooler is then they are wrong.
I think that they are just based on DBS characters.

I'd love to see those new Shadow Dragons in anime. I think they are part of mission 3.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:32 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thank you!

I wonder if Goku will recognize Cooler. People seem to think that this Blue Goku is just DBS Goku but if he know who Cooler is then they are wrong.
I think that they are just based on DBS characters.

I'd love to see those new Shadow Dragons in anime. I think they are part of mission 3.
The Shadow Dragons aren't part of Prison Planet, they're part of the new Demigra story, so they won't be in this.
shadowmaria wrote:Y'all set your expectations far to high for this.

I had low expectations (but high excitement levels), and I loved it!
My expectations where zero and I was still disappointed, if they can't be bothered to do actual fights then don't even make this.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:35 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Y'all set your expectations far to high for this.

I had low expectations (but high excitement levels), and I loved it!
My expectations weren't high at all and I was still disappointed.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:49 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:I wonder if Goku will recognize Cooler. People seem to think that this Blue Goku is just DBS Goku but if he know who Cooler is then they are wrong.
He should not recognize Cooler. We shall see how Heroes will handle it, though, if episode 1 is anything to go by (which obviously is), Trunks didn't recognize Cooler in the end of the episode. Trunks never met him before so there would be no reason for Toei/Dimps/Heroes to make Goku to know about Cooler either.
sunsetshimmer wrote:I'd love to see those new Shadow Dragons in anime. I think they are part of mission 3.
We have yet to see a confirmation that Demigra stuff is tied to Planet Prison saga, currently it isn't. It's being marketed as a different saga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Grimlock wrote: Oh, the similarities with Dragon Ball Super.
Yikes.
Grimlock wrote:I am quite familiar with that Goku, Vegeta, Mai, Trunks, Kaioshin of East, Whis and Beerus. I have just seen them in Dragon Ball Super under the same rules and logic applied. Are you not? Too bad for you, I guess.
It's not though. By being here, looking like this and interacting with these characters, these characters are now Heroes-exclusive versions of themselves, and exist within the bubble that Heroes is. It's not the Goku or Vegeta I'm gonna be watching from the movie to Super's eventual continuation, and I, like many others, don't like Heroes. So why should I care? Why act like this is another arc of Dragon Ball and not just some 8 minute web cartoon that is in no way essential to the upcoming story of Dragon Ball? Don't act like people aren't confused about this, I've already had a guy on twitter tell me the Saiyan in the new movie is Cumber.
Grimlock wrote:Urgh, just the thought of the possibility of it ending up as being another crap like Movie 15 makes me cringe as hell. Toriyama's involvement is no guarantee of anything as well nowadays (other than a probably: "hey, this piece of work won't explain/show you anything. We're gonna continue to wank Goku and force him down your throats with his super-cool and happy about everything personality! Yay! He's doing everything with other doing little to nothing against the villain".
Yikes. I appreciate that you didn't include everything else I said to use this as an excuse to shit on RoF and Super, then accuse me of ranting about Heroes and the movie just because I apparently had to list the reasons people shouldn't be confused into watching something extraneous. My point this whole time has been what's important, both to the ongoing story and to the creators, and the reason I mentioned all of those things is because it's clear that the movie is where the focus is, and what's being propped up as the next piece to Dragon Ball's story.

Grimlock wrote: You know, it's funny because this rant of yours makes it feel like I particularly consider Dragon Ball Heroes to take place in the same continuity as the "main one" even though it's not true. But it is a fact that Prison Planet saga takes place after Universe Survival saga.
It takes place in a timeline split from just after the Universe Survival saga, but it no longer exists in the same timeline we're going to keep seeing in Super's movie and the eventual continuation after that. That's why it's really unhelpful to follow up people wondering if it's necessary watch material with "there is no canon", because they don't mean an officially-defined excuse for why it all technically is real.
Grimlock wrote: Yet, it'll probably shit on everything good that has been established decades ago with new, nonsensical and made-up excuses made right on time (just like some informations in interviews) to fit with the new "explanations" with more recolors diarrhea.
Grimlock wrote:Yeah, we know that the "main part" of Dragon Ball doesn't have the capacity to explore its concepts in a cool way, so it's not like something like that would happen. But thankfully we have Xenoverse and Heroes to do so.
Your only argument here seems to be that you don't like Super, when what I'm saying is that the canon of Dragon Ball, as "nonexistant" as it's so often claimed to be, is merely a misinterpretation when what people really want to know is how a particular piece of material should be classified in the scheme of what will happen next for the series, be it actual new content or previous content set in alternate timelines running alongside it. Whether you think Heroes is great, or I think it's dumb and bad isn't representative of whether the Prison Planet arc is made to be a necessary part Dragon Ball's ongoing narrative as the Cell arc or Zamasu arc.

If, in some alternate timeline of 2016, Super was airing, and Heroes was in the middle of the Demon Realm arc or whatever, and some new fan asked "what else do I need to understand this new show?", and you talked to them like this, they'd slog through whatever Heroes does with that story, look back at Super and think "Hey! this means jack shit for the story!". Do you see what I'm getting at here?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 pm

As if Heroes actually explores it's concepts well.
The anime is even worse since they could have shown us things and didn't. They didn't show us the set up for the story and they didn't actually give the hyped up fight of Goku vs Goku.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:16 pm

My boy Tomioka Atsuhiro wrote this thing and I so wish he had been given a full series to explore the plot. Damn, Bandai, you did Soul of Gold, can't you do Dragon Ball just as much a favor? :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:My boy Tomioka Atsuhiro wrote this thing and I so wish he had been given a full series to explore the plot. Damn, Bandai, you did Soul of Gold, can't you do Dragon Ball just as much a favor? :p
Eh, at least this shows that the actual focus is the movie.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Just got through watching it myself, and it was...interesting, I guess. Weird to see Fu played as such a straight-forward villain when in Xenoverse 2 he's much more nebulous, almost chaotic-neutral really. Unless maybe that's his game here is playing a big bad so they'll fight harder for his experiment?

Also, uh...I had no idea Ozotto was going to be in this, but I'm pretty sure that was him I saw on a really fuzzy screen in Fu's laboratory (where you can also see Bojack briefly). This'd be his first time actually being animated, wouldn't it?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Grimlock wrote: I don't remember that line at all. And just to be clear, I take Movie 15 instead of the retellings into account. There is no explanation for the golden color in the movie.
The line I'm referring to is from the film. I don't know about Super's retelling, and I honestly don't care to look up the episode because it seriously pains me to even glance at the show's version of that arc again.
Grimlock wrote: I don't know if we could really say that Cooler's personality is too different, it's not like Dragon Ball movies provided such elaborated villains. He was also a tyrant that governed planets. But I'll give you the color.
I think that both of Cooler's films flesh out his personality enough that he's fairly different from Freeza. The golden color was strongly implied to be a choice on Freeza's part, and it just doesn't sound like something Cooler would do at all.

Heroes just gave him that form for typical fanservicey reasons. I'm not complaining about it too much; I'm aware that this particular part of the franchise doesn't pretend to be anything more than what it is, but I can't help but note how awkwardly jarring it is when looked at from a main series perspective.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 am

Am I missing something or was it actually 8 minutes long in it's totality?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:35 am

PFM18 wrote:Am I missing something or was it actually 8 minutes long in it's totality?
It was indeed but eight minutes long.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Got inspired today and even made exception and drew some Super characters to celebrate SSJ4 appearing again :D
Also, did anyone notice that Xeno Goku's power pole just disappears when he turns SSJ4? Does he destroy it or is it just the same magic that modify and repair clothes on SSJ4?
This is seriously so cool. You made these sprites yourself? I loved Legacy of Goku and these look so good

And yeah I find it really disappointing that it was so short. Maybe it was already said somewhere but I didn't see it if it was. They could have extended the Goku vs Goku stuff and made Fu look more mischievous than just revealing his intentions almost instantly.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 am

Honestly loved this more than the entirety of Dragon Ball Super. Fu is such an awesome villain, way better than any of the villains we've gotten after Buu.