Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Brettjr25 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 pm

If Dragon Ball Super was a form it would be Ultra Instinct Omen and I had to give this DB Heroes a form, it would be Mastered Ultra Instinct. This series is going to be everything that Super was trying to get away with. Given the immense success of Super, I'm sure someone went, "What the F#$* lets go all in." For all who loved form after form after form and didn't care about things like Trunks massive exponential boost, sudden appearance of techniques, wannabe fan faves and super cool bad ass back hand moments, I think are really going to love heroes.

Brilliant move by them really.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Mon May 21, 2018 7:21 pm

It's times like these that makes me miss how classical the old Dragon ball was, before all this new fanservice glossy animation shit started. :(

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 22, 2018 1:09 am

Are we even sure this is a series and not just a one-shot?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 am

I'm always happy for more Dragon Ball animation. I am, however, a little concerned that it will confuse people who go into it expecting canon Dragon Ball stories, and it might serve to over-saturate Dragon Balls fans, leading to series fatigue like what we got around the time of GT.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue May 22, 2018 4:39 am

I have a theory about Super Saiyan Blue vs Super Saiyan 4, that still allows GT to be in Super's future and the only discrepancy be Kibito Kai

So Super Saiyan Blue is the power of a Super Saiyan form of a Saiyan combined with the divine energy of the God's, right?

So. What if Super Saiyan 4 is just as strong, but without having to rely on the power of the God's? That might explain why Vegeta and Goku don't use the power of the God's in GT; because they have decided to get by without resorting to that power and get stronger without the divine energy.

When they obtain Super Saiyan 4, it allows them to hit that pinnacle of strength on their own merits. And thus, why in the PV for that chapter of SDBH, SSB Goku and SS4 Goku Xeno are going toe-to-toe

Thoughts?

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:04 am

shadowmaria wrote:I have a theory about Super Saiyan Blue vs Super Saiyan 4, that still allows GT to be in Super's future and the only discrepancy be Kibito Kai

So Super Saiyan Blue is the power of a Super Saiyan form of a Saiyan combined with the divine energy of the God's, right?

So. What if Super Saiyan 4 is just as strong, but without having to rely on the power of the God's? That might explain why Vegeta and Goku don't use the power of the God's in GT; because they have decided to get by without resorting to that power and get stronger without the divine energy.

When they obtain Super Saiyan 4, it allows them to hit that pinnacle of strength on their own merits. And thus, why in the PV for that chapter of SDBH, SSB Goku and SS4 Goku Xeno are going toe-to-toe

Thoughts?
Beerus didn't exist at the time and super made it impossible for gt to exist.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:25 am

Fanservice crazyness aside, Heroes has actually been doing some pretty cool shit with the whole Makaioshin deal

While I enjoyed Super, this Demon Realm stuff seems way more interesting and exciting than most of the new content Super gave us, specially the two tournament arcs. As Dragon Ball antagonists, I'll take Mechikabura, Towa, Mira and Fu over Champa, Jiren and Zen-Oh any day of the week. Too bad it seems like they'll be skipping the Demon Realm arc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 22, 2018 6:52 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:It's times like these that makes me miss how classical the old Dragon ball was, before all this new fanservice glossy animation shit started. :(
Same here as I fully believe a non-fanservice DB show could've easily been just as successful if not more than what we have right now. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy modern DB for what it is but as I'm nearing the end of Kai's Buu arc after going through the entire original story, I can't help but think about all the potential they wasted by focusing on fanservice and playing it safe.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:It's times like these that makes me miss how classical the old Dragon ball was, before all this new fanservice glossy animation shit started. :(
You mean modern dragon ball?

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 am

sintzu wrote:
Same here as I fully believe a non-fanservice DB show could've easily been just as successful if not more than what we have right now. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy modern DB for what it is but as I'm nearing the end of Kai's Buu arc after going through the entire original story, I can't help but think about all the potential they wasted by focusing on fanservice and playing it safe.
Probably won't happen though.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 am

shadowmaria wrote:I have a theory about Super Saiyan Blue vs Super Saiyan 4, that still allows GT to be in Super's future and the only discrepancy be Kibito Kai

Thoughts?
Actually. They’re going toe-to-toe at the beginning because Xeno Goku is way stronger than Super Goku. [spoiler]And in the end Super Goku still wins because the power of blue is stronger than a stronger Goku with SSJ4.[/spoiler]

Blue is way stronger than 4. And Super Goku isn’t even going kaioken blue. And we don’t even know if ssj4 kaioken can happen.

But yeah, blue >>> ssj4
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

gantarat

Post by gantarat » Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am

In Arcade game story Xeno Goku said [spoiler]CC Goku is One Step above him So probably that the power gap between both form itn't large like Jiren vs Blue Goku[/spoiler]

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am

To be fair, with that new movie trailer, the glossy/shiny art style seems to be gone. Hopefully excessive fan service too. Maybe Heroes will keep that modern glossy look and Super or whatever the official Dragon Ball continuation will be called from now on will retain the look of the new movie?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 am

Thoughts?
Eh. It's easier just to say that GT is an alternate timeline from Super. Otherwise, Pilaf and the gang would have to wish themselves old so they'll be elderly at the start of GT. Kibito and the Supreme Kai would have to fuse again, even though they don't like being fused and aren't any more useful as Kibito Kai. There's all that stuff with Hell that hasn't ever been canon in the manga, and Super contradicts. Android 17 would have to get weaker just to fuse with his Hell counterpart just to still come out weaker than he was when fight Super Saiyan Blue Goku. I also don't buy Goku and Vegeta just choosing not to use god ki anymore. What, did the gods do something that offended them so much that they didn't even want to use anything remotely associated with them?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Blue is way stronger than 4. And Super Goku isn’t even going kaioken blue. And we don’t even know if ssj4 kaioken can happen.

But yeah, blue >>> ssj4
The explanation given for why Goku had never combined Kaioken with Super Saiyan was that Super Saiyan energy was chaotic. Using Kaioken in combination with Super Saiyan would have torn him apart. God ki, however, is calm. This makes it easier to combine with Kaioken. While Super Saiyan 4 is seemingly more energy efficient than Super Saiyan 3, it and Blue are opposites. Blue is divine and serene. Super Saiyan 4 is beastly and fueled by rage. Based on that, I'd say that Super Saiyan 4 is incompatible with Kaioken.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm

I hope we get subs for it on day 1. I'm not super hype up for this show, but I will watch the first few episodes just to see how the show is.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue May 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:Fanservice crazyness aside, Heroes has actually been doing some pretty cool shit with the whole Makaioshin deal

While I enjoyed Super, this Demon Realm stuff seems way more interesting and exciting than most of the new content Super gave us, specially the two tournament arcs. As Dragon Ball antagonists, I'll take Mechikabura, Towa, Mira and Fu over Champa, Jiren and Zen-Oh any day of the week. Too bad it seems like they'll be skipping the Demon Realm arc.
While I agree that the Demon Realm concept is very cool, none of those characters are ever refered to as Makaioshin. They're just Demon Gods (not sure what the JP term for that is), more like Demigra.
Mechikabura might be one, as his young form depicts him in Kaioshin clothes with an evil looking color scheme, but there's no confirmations for that.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue May 22, 2018 6:43 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Blue is way stronger than 4. And Super Goku isn’t even going kaioken blue. And we don’t even know if ssj4 kaioken can happen.

But yeah, blue >>> ssj4
The explanation given for why Goku had never combined Kaioken with Super Saiyan was that Super Saiyan energy was chaotic. Using Kaioken in combination with Super Saiyan would have torn him apart. God ki, however, is calm. This makes it easier to combine with Kaioken. While Super Saiyan 4 is seemingly more energy efficient than Super Saiyan 3, it and Blue are opposites. Blue is divine and serene. Super Saiyan 4 is beastly and fueled by rage. Based on that, I'd say that Super Saiyan 4 is incompatible with Kaioken.
If ssb requires a calm mind and serenity then how is goku able to use it when he's pissed off like when goku black told him about killing chichi and goten?

If he attempted kaioken at that moment, would it have killed him?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 22, 2018 7:19 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:

But yeah, blue >>> ssj4
If ssb requires a calm mind and serenity then how is goku able to use it when he's pissed off like when goku black told him about killing chichi and goten?

The same reason how Goku could access SS without being angry anymore.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:If ssb requires a calm mind and serenity then how is goku able to use it when he's pissed off like when goku black told him about killing chichi and goten?

You're confusing energy with mood. God ki is calmer. That doesn't mean the person using it has to be calm.