Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:34 pm

GTx10 wrote:You contribute nothing and you fan the flames of "art war." So unless you can draw a better SS4 Vegeto Xeno or say something meaningful, shut up.
This is not an appropriate post. It is not and should not be viewed as reflective of the Kanzenshuu community. Further posts of this nature will result in account strikes; these lead to temporary/permanent bans, which revoke access to the entirety of the Kanzenshuu website.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Quite interesting that a guy who tells someone to shut up is in danger of getting a strike, while a pompous user who draws a badly designed SSJ4 Vegito(and compares it to the artwork above, regarding it's flaws ) with no indepth criticism of the original design gets a free pass, when it's clearly bait that's designed to rile people up. Which he successfully did. Last time I checked, posting a user drawn ssj4 vegito and saying "truly majestic shoulders" doesn't contribute as meaningful discussion and criticism either.

Clearly the best way to be a functional member of society and this board is to be passive aggressive. Instead of just being a man and actually going in depth on whats bad with the design. But no, memes are okay. "Shut up" isn't.
Last edited by RichardKing2 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:19 pm

RichardKing2 wrote:Quite interesting that a guy who tells someone to shut up is in danger of getting a strike, while a pompous user who draws a badly designed SSJ4 Vegito(and compares it to the artwork above, regarding it's flaws ) with no indepth criticism of the original design gets a free pass, when it's clearly bait that's designed to rile people up. Which he successfully did. Last time I checked, posting a user drawn ssj4 vegito and saying "truly majestic shoulders" doesn't contribute as meaningful discussion and criticism either.

Clearly the best way to be a functional member of society and this board is to be passive aggressive.
A fun little jab that doesn't interrupt the flow of anything and is easily ignored is hardly equatable to what was cited here as an infraction.

Fun is allowed. Toxic behavior is not. The end.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Oh wow, you indeed proved me wrong. Yes comparing a badly drawn picture to an official design and saying "truly majestic shoulders" is all in good fun. it's funneh! Yes, he's clearly the role model Kanzenshuu'er I should follow! It's obviously not toxic behavior, or baiting other people into negative responses, often noted as trolling. clearly it didn't interrupt the flow of conversation and lead to another user responding to him negatively. Clearly the fault doesn't lie with the one who provided the obvious bait.

No, you're totally right. Your definition is obviously the correct and only one. :lol:
Last edited by RichardKing2 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm just gonna try and get things back on topic.

So far, the anime seems to only follow the barebones details of the manga. This is in stark contrast to the usual way things have gone between anime and manga; usually, an anime expands heavily on a manga's more barebones "straight-to-the-point" structure.

Is it because this particular anime doesn't have the resources or investment of a normal anime? Or is it the source material itself?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 pm

RichardKing2 wrote:Oh wow, you indeed proved me wrong. Yes comparing a badly drawn picture to an official design and saying "truly majestic shoulders" is all in good fun. it's funneh! Yes, he's clearly the role model Kanzenshuu'er I should follow! It's obviously not toxic behavior, or baiting other people into negative responses, often noted as trolling. clearly it didn't interrupt the flow of conversation and lead to another user responding to him negatively. Clearly the fault doesn't lie with the one who provided the obvious bait.

No, you're totally right. Your definition is obviously the correct and only one.
Whether or not you find it funny is on you, and if you want to criticise someone over their joke, that's also find and dandy, but do so within the confines of the forum's rules. Telling another user to "shut up" is not within those rules.

All I'm seeing across the board here is an inability to accept a lighthearted jab at something they personally have no issue with. I don't think any of the moderation team is particularly interested in entertaining that.

I have no issue with that design's anatomy really, but I don't see the point in getting worked up over someone making a joke at its expense. Once again, fun is allowed, toxic behaviour is not. That's all there is to it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:So far, the anime seems to only follow the barebones details of the manga. This is in stark contrast to the usual way things have gone between anime and manga; usually, an anime expands heavily on a manga's more barebones "straight-to-the-point" structure.

Is it because this particular anime doesn't have the resources or investment of a normal anime? Or is it the source material itself?
Both anime and manga are adapting the game itself. They are the promotional material for the game. Heroes anime is in no way in the same position as a "regular anime adapting the manga".

Yes, there is the Cumber recognizing Super Saiyan God bit that came from the manga and so far hasn't appeared in the game, but we don't know the actual details behind the production (but it was all a tease). Goku is getting a Super Saiyan God card in UM5, that may means that we will see that bit in the game too, and both manga and anime just went ahead and depicted it a little bit earlier.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:31 pm

GTx10 wrote:
You contribute nothing and you fan the flames of "art war." So unless you can draw a better SS4 Vegeto Xeno or say something meaningful, shut up.

I am not a fan of this Vegeto because the red fur and ear rings clash badly. Too much going on with this character design.
Ah, the old "well you can't make a better tv series so you're not fit to criticize any of them" argument. Yamamuro has had issues with flipping his canvas and making sure his characters are properly balanced for years now. Don't be an ass just because I noticed an issue that you don't personally care about.
Last edited by Shaddy on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 pm

The Simpsons fans probably hate that the show has gone on to 30 seasons already but still watch it because it's a series they love and I'm a sucker for the same reason, I watch SDBH though it's pretty much always a huge disappointment. Not sure if I'd say it was a bigger turd than Super, nah, the Dr. Slump episode made it worth it. :P

Can we just get a proper Dragon Ball series already? Please, TOEI.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Shaddy wrote:Ah, the old "well you can't make a better tv series so you're not fit to criticize any of them" argument. Yamamuro has had issues with flipping his canvas and making sure his characters are properly balanced for years now. Don't be an ass just because I noticed an issue that you don't personally care about.
Like they say, you don't have to be a chef to recognise bad food.
I have to admit I don't quite see what you were trying to illustrate, though. Instead of the left shoulder being "dislodged" like that, I see it as being way too far back, and I consider it yet another case of the Yamamuro slant. (In this case, draw a straight line between the two shoulders on Yamamuro's design. The line will be slanted compared to how it should look considering the rest of the body. I tried it several times, and the line always turned out really bad.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:54 pm

I want to point out that while some people may consider things a "fun jab", to others it may not be viewed as such and this results in toxic behaviour arising (making both not okay imo). I see it in communities all the time. A bait post should not be viewed as meaningful in any way imo, but responding to the person in a toxic way is also not meaningful. Alas, it is best to ignore such a post, especially if it's intention is to just stir the pot.

I simply posted a design of SSJ4 Vegito, which to me looks absolutely fine. No reason it should of resulted in such a toxic effect. Seriously lads.

Anyways, I personally can't wait to see Ssj4 in the Heroes Anime. I'm sure he will look amazing!

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:22 pm

People way more recognized than me criticize Yamamuro way more harshly and in perfect seriousness here all the time and don't get this. If we approach all criticism with the mindset of "well be careful because some people might choose to take your opinion as a personal attack for no reason" here then this forum would be dead in a matter of hours.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:50 am

There is another solution: Posting legit criticisms and supporting your complaints instead of beating around the bush, stirring the pot, and posting pics that are clearly bait in a thread dedicated to SDBH. Obviously it's difficult to act like an adult and state your specific problems with a design(with details). And better to play the victim and tell someone "don't be an ass" when your post in the other page wasn't inviting healthy discussion or debate in the first place.

It's ok. you were just having good fun, you're funny! Those fun jabs of yours are soo entertaining.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm

I think it should be pretty obvious what the issue is. Yamamuro doesn't know how to balance his drawings and Vegito is slightly lopsided because of this. I illustrated this by making his fucked-up shoulder very obvious, no "beating around the bush" required. It's really not that difficult to understand.

But I think you know that, and I know nothing would actually satisfy you. You're using words like "clearly bait" and "stirring le pot" because if you didn't, you'd have no scapegoat here, on this website with tons of people who have been dissatisfied with Yamamuro's declining quality for the past decade. You are choosing to take this personally.

Calm down. It's a cartoon. We're allowed to make fun of the parts of it we don't like.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm

In my opinion, SSJ4 Vegito has a very nice design. He is very muscular and his black hair suit with his fur's crimson red color and his outfit. The yellow potara, are a bit off, but I have to admit that his blue eyes are the perfect contrast with all this red.

To be honest, the Promotional Anime hasn't dissapointed me thus far, due to it being more of an extra, rather than something that I expected to watch (like Broly). It entertains me and I like he way "fanservice" works with it. Everything that has been depicted is about things that may or could exist in the main timeline and nothing extravagant, so I enjoy it. Now, where should it go next? I am not sure.

After Vegito: Xeno fights with Cumber (and I think that he might win), I want to see some more things. Of I recall correctly, I watched a video on youtube about the next Universe Mission of Heroes and it was chronologically placed after the fight with Cumber and it portrayed King Cold, Bojack and (probably) Cooler's betrayal of Trunks. I will be fine with such an addition to the series.
P O W E R

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:25 pm

SSJ4 Vegetto has a bad design compared to what was Gogeta back in GT, but is not offensive in any way.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Indeed. A criticism of art is not a personal attack on any fan. We specifically cite "playing the victim" in our community guidelines as unacceptable behavior (and, quite frankly, it's a somewhat sad state of affairs that we have to do that).

RichardKing2, you're totally out of line and making something out of nothing here. All of your subsequent posts complaining about theoretical/supposed toxicity are actually toxic and inappropriate behavior. People are allowed to dislike things, and they are allowed to talk about it and express it in any way they want so long as it remotely lives up to the spirit of our community guidelines.

All further contributions should remain on the subject at hand, which may include criticism. We of course would prefer and encourage something longform and thoughtful, but we're also not going to tell you not to have fun. Multiple moderators have weighed in. We always welcome community feedback on ongoing conversations and guidelines, but this issue is closed (and was never an issue in the first place). Further distractions will be removed (posts, users, or otherwise).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:22 pm

So the new episode was the 28th right? It probably hasn't aired yet but what time was it?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:26 am

Episode 6 confirmed and Ultra Instinct is coming!
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:09 am

Eh...will wait for translation, but it kinda feels barely passable even for a promotion. It was just a repeat of the Vegetto fight from before, even having the same beam clash again, except this time it works. You really feel the padding when it comes to the beam clash. But seeing SSJ4 Vegetto beating SSJ(3?) Cumber I get a kick out of. Super Saiyan Four The Win :D

But really he has no eyebrows so was that SSJ3 or not?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!