Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:47 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Man, if we get SS4 Gogeta vs Bluegetto, I'll geek out hard. It's just a shame we gotta suffer through Yamamuro's blandness one more time before the movie does away with him for good.
I don’t know about that. Unless the rest of dragon ball starts to adapt the Shintani’s character art and designs, we’ll probably keep Yamamuro on any other dragon ball project except to the main movies and tv series.
I'm not sure myself about that either. I mean, Toei themselves thought the franchise was due to a new visual design after 20 years of Yammamuro and after all the time they spent on just finding someone to be that new character designer, it seems weird to not just make that the default for everything moving forward.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Pretty typical for Super Dragon Ball Heroes animation-wise. It's always been pretty 'eh'-tier with stiff movement. Looks like the character art has really been polished up at least. It looks like that shot of Goku, Trunks and Vegeta has been corrected too. It looks real bad in the original trailer. I do hope Yamamuro and co have learned to draw Cooler finally because he's looked pretty janky in the promo material for the game.

It's exactly what I was expecting so I'm still eager to see it. Toei's probably using the same staff that makes the game's trailers and OPs so people should use those to set their expectations.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Man, if we get SS4 Gogeta vs Bluegetto, I'll geek out hard. It's just a shame we gotta suffer through Yamamuro's blandness one more time before the movie does away with him for good.
I don’t know about that. Unless the rest of dragon ball starts to adapt the Shintani’s character art and designs, we’ll probably keep Yamamuro on any other dragon ball project except to the main movies and tv series.
I'm not sure myself about that either. I mean, Toei themselves thought the franchise was due to a new visual design after 20 years of Yammamuro and after all the time they spent on just finding someone to be that new character designer, it seems weird to not just make that the default for everything moving forward.
I hope you’re right. I just find it hard to see Super Dragon Ball Heroes just randomly change its art style but then again, most of it isn’t really 2d animation. If everything is going to follow the Shintani designs, better sooner than later.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm

This looks about as bad as we all should've expected it to. I doubt we'll even get one decent fight scene out of this.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: So you’re saying this looks like episode 5, 24, or 26? You can’t be taken seriously if thats what you think.
Though the art is on model, the actual movement is definitely comparable to that tier of quality.
I’d say thats a stretch
Its hardly a stretch. Literally nothing in that Teaser moved in a manner that wasn't really rigid and unsightly.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Trailer doesn't look good, but I expected that. It looks pretty on par with the usual commercials we get and that's enough for me, if it means getting some actual context for the crazyness (other than phone-recorded arcade cabinet "cutscenes").

Anything said about where it's going to stream at?
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Draconic wrote:Trailer doesn't look good, but I expected that. It looks pretty on par with the usual commercials we get and that's enough for me, if it means getting some actual context for the crazyness (other than phone-recorded arcade cabinet "cutscenes").

"Looks terrible. Where can I watch it?" lol

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Draconic wrote:Trailer doesn't look good, but I expected that. It looks pretty on par with the usual commercials we get and that's enough for me, if it means getting some actual context for the crazyness (other than phone-recorded arcade cabinet "cutscenes").

"Looks terrible. Where can I watch it?" lol
Basically, yeah :lol: The fan-service stuff is enough to keep me interested even with the poor animation.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:36 pm

An arc that revolves (I assume?!) around rescuing a popular character is actually something new in this franchise. Excluding stuff like SSJ4 Goku, Coola, etc... this plot actually feels like a better follow-up to FT Trunks arc than the Universe Survival arc.

The animation looks stiff though, but it's okay because the 20th movie is all that matters now.
It's Dragon Ball, I will watch it anyway.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:42 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:It's Dragon Ball, I will watch it anyway.
Basically my mentality for any and every Dragon Ball related project.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

NormalHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NormalHero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 pm

really? are you judjing deeply the animation quality of a future (web, i know) series only from a 30 seconds teaser?
i think we have to wait something more "solid"...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 am

So I guess all this secret DBH stuff was just Vegetto Blue... Yawn. Here I was hoping for something mildly interesting like SS4 Goku and SSGSS Goku fusion.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Can we all agree that Vegetto's new outfit looks absolutely awesome?
Looks pretty identical with slightly different gloves and a darker outer gi.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:00 am

NormalHero wrote:really? are you judjing deeply the animation quality of a future (web, i know) series only from a 30 seconds teaser?
But that's the point of a trailer..

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 am

OLKv3 wrote:But that's the point of a trailer..
No, it is not. Trailer is meant to give you a glimpse of what to expect to see. Quality is never to be taken serious from trailers as they can improve it. How many times do we saw a trailer with bad CG and then it got improved in the movie itself? Haven't people learned this yet? I think it's high time to do so.

As for animation, I know I've said that I don't care much about it, but people really have become picky on this matter. There's nothing wrong, there would be something wrong if it looked like Dragon Ball Super episode 5, but it is not the case.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Vegetto got my Dick hard as steel

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So I guess all this secret DBH stuff was just Vegetto Blue... Yawn. Here I was hoping for something mildly interesting like SS4 Goku and SSGSS Goku fusion.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Can we all agree that Vegetto's new outfit looks absolutely awesome?
Looks pretty identical with slightly different gloves and a darker outer gi.
I didn't even notice his gi WAS black until a friend pointed it out to me. :lol:

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:04 pm

NormalHero wrote:really? are you judjing deeply the animation quality of a future (web, i know) series only from a 30 seconds teaser?
The point of a trailer is generally to show off the best or most exciting moments of something. If anything, most of the anime will be significantly worse than what we've seen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:15 pm

theTUN wrote:
The point of a trailer is generally to show off the best or most exciting moments of something. If anything, most of the anime will be significantly worse than what we've seen.
That wasn't the case with Battle of Gods.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:26 am

Wonder how long till it's coming out now. I'm excited to see Kamba, and hopefully Ozotto and Kold turn up in the anime as well