Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 am

According to this tweet we have our mysterious Hannibal Saiyan a name
https://twitter.com/GovetaXV/status/1004747716193239046

I put the name on spoilers in case for not spoil people who wants a more official reveal.

[spoiler]His name would be Kanba/カンバー and that would came from Cucumber[/spoiler]
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:51 am

It's a real shame that they're wasting a really good voice actor and character design on this.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:36 pm

theTUN wrote:It's a real shame that they're wasting a really good voice actor and character design on this.
Who's to say this is the only character he'll ever voice?

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't happened before since Heroes is so popular in Japan. I'm really looing forward to this and since it isn't bound by canon or logic there's really no limit to what they can do and its pretty exciting. And the idea of a Dragon Ball prison is really cool. I hope if it does well they don't just keep it as a mini series.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 pm

jollyroger wrote:since it isn't bound by logic there's really no limit to what they can do and its pretty exciting.
We can say that to the "main series" too. But unfortunately it is bound to the safe zone, which is why we don't see more interesting ideas coming out of it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Heroes is getting an anime adaptation.

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Nevaeh wrote:Will the fandom be able to handle seeing SSJ4 Goku vs SSB Goku? :lol:

I can hear the yelling already. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:34 pm

To be honest, considering people have already proved that they cannot handle alternate dimension in this franchise (as you can see by many comments stating that it is impossible two Gokus to meet each other and similar comments that refuse to accept that that concept already exists in the franchise, added by the author himself), no, not everyone is ready to handle an event of such proportion.

This actually comes as a suprise to me. I thought people liked the "alternate dimension" concept in HQs, I would assume people would like to see it in Dragon Ball and would react positively to it instead of stating some weird stuff like the one I mentioned above.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:32 am

Grimlock wrote:To be honest, considering people have already proved that they cannot handle alternate dimension in this franchise (as you can see by many comments stating that it is impossible two Gokus to meet each other and similar comments that refuse to accept that that concept already exists in the franchise, added by the author himself), no, not everyone is ready to handle an event of such proportion.

This actually comes as a suprise to me. I thought people liked the "alternate dimension" concept in HQs, I would assume people would like to see it in Dragon Ball and would react positively to it instead of stating some weird stuff like the one I mentioned above.
There's a good way and a bad way to execute weird ideas. Heroes falls pretty strongly in the "bad way" category.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:05 am

theTUN wrote:
Grimlock wrote:To be honest, considering people have already proved that they cannot handle alternate dimension in this franchise (as you can see by many comments stating that it is impossible two Gokus to meet each other and similar comments that refuse to accept that that concept already exists in the franchise, added by the author himself), no, not everyone is ready to handle an event of such proportion.

There's a good way and a bad way to execute weird ideas. Heroes falls pretty strongly in the "bad way" category.
Would you care to elaborate on that for us? Everything about Heroes is extremely intriguing to me.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am

theTUN wrote:There's a good way and a bad way to execute weird ideas. Heroes falls pretty strongly in the "bad way" category.
I ask the same, please elaborate more your thought.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:42 pm

theTUN wrote:It's a real shame that they're wasting a really good voice actor and character design on this.
How are they wasting the design and voice actor? The anime hasn't been released yet
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:44 pm

One_Instance wrote:
theTUN wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on that for us? Everything about Heroes is extremely intriguing to me.
There's really not that much to say. It's not a good story because it's not meant to be, it's a card game. All of the weird ideas exist because they make for fun gameplay scenarios and cards to select, not because they work on a narrative level. It's like the difference between a Marvel vs Capcom game, and a silver age comic book. They both have a lot of strange, reality breaking stuff going on with the same characters, but one is because gameplay takes priority over story and continuity.

Like, the Goku vs Goku fight, for example. There's no real emotional weight to it, there's nothing behind it thematically, it's just "Wouldn't it be cool if Goku fought himself?" Which is fine, I guess.

inb4 someone says "Super is the same thing."

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:57 pm

theTUN wrote:It's not a good story because it's not meant to be, it's a card game.
No, this is just your opinion. And what's the problem in being a card game?
theTUN wrote:All of the weird ideas exist because they make for fun gameplay scenarios and cards to select, not because they work on a narrative level.
They don't work on a narrative level? Then what the heck am I seeing since the SDBH missions? I'm pretty sure there is a story being told with a beginning, middle and end and a logical, coerent flow of events just like any and all other story. It's because of the narrative that I get to know what is going on.
theTUN wrote:Like, the Goku vs Goku fight, for example. There's no real emotional weight to it, there's nothing behind it thematically, it's just "Wouldn't it be cool if Goku fought himself?" Which is fine, I guess.
There should be though? This is happening because of some "kid" messing around, they are not fighting to save the Multiverse, there is no apparent high stakes here. Why there should be an emotional weight?

And you just said "Heroes falls pretty strongly in the "bad way" category" and now you're saying it's fine? I'm still confused and would like a more elaboration on why it's "so bad" in what Heroes is doing.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:28 pm

And to be frank, stakes have become meaningless in DB as a whole for years. I think the last time we got actual serious stakes was with King Piccolo since there was no Dragon Balls to wish all the bad things away. Or The Shadow Dragon Arc in GT if you want to count anime only plotlines.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Grimlock wrote:
theTUN wrote:It's not a good story because it's not meant to be, it's a card game.
No, this is just your opinion. And what's the problem in being a card game?
theTUN wrote:All of the weird ideas exist because they make for fun gameplay scenarios and cards to select, not because they work on a narrative level.
They don't work on a narrative level? Then what the heck am I seeing since the SDBH missions? I'm pretty sure there is a story being told with a beginning, middle and end and a logical, coerent flow of events just like any and all other story. It's because of the narrative that I get to know what is going on.
theTUN wrote:Like, the Goku vs Goku fight, for example. There's no real emotional weight to it, there's nothing behind it thematically, it's just "Wouldn't it be cool if Goku fought himself?" Which is fine, I guess.
There should be though? This is happening because of some "kid" messing around, they are not fighting to save the Multiverse, there is no apparent high stakes here. Why there should be an emotional weight?

And you just said "Heroes falls pretty strongly in the "bad way" category" and now you're saying it's fine? I'm still confused and would like a more elaboration on why it's "so bad" in what Heroes is doing.
Emotional weight doesn't mean melodrama, and something can not work on a narrative level while still having something that fits the definition of a story. I don't think I can come up with a better example than the story mode of a fighting game. It isn't there to tell an actually engaging narrative, it's there to structure the gameplay and give the characters an excuse to exist and fight each other.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 am

Interview between Masako Nozawa and Kappei Yamaguchi.

A translation is required. :)

EDIT: Oh, per Herms tweet, Kappei Yamaguchi is not a newcomer to Dragon Ball franchise, he has provided his voice to the Majin race avatar (he doesn't specify who exactly) for Dragon Ball Heroes. Interesting!

Also, it was said that Yamaguchi tried to emphasize the scientist side of Fu; rather than a villain, he simply pursues his research regardless of good or evil. Excellent! I was thinking we would see a full villain Fu, but nope, it'll still be Xenoverse 2 Fu! :D

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:And to be frank, stakes have become meaningless in DB as a whole for years. I think the last time we got actual serious stakes was with King Piccolo since there was no Dragon Balls to wish all the bad things away. Or The Shadow Dragon Arc in GT if you want to count anime only plotlines.
Well even around the Freeza arc where the DBs them selves had limits and why Goku went SS in the first place (Krillin already died and couldn't be resurrected) it wasn't so bad, but the moment Earth DBs improved and the fact another set exist on New Namek was only natural we'd get something like the super DBs! (Hey at least a villain got to use it).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well even around the Freeza arc where the DBs themselves had limits and why Goku went SS in the first place (Krillin already died and couldn't be resurrected) it wasn't so bad, but the moment Earth DBs improved and the fact another set exist on New Namek was only natural we'd get something like the super DBs! (Hey at least a villain got to use it).
Bad example since Krillin gets resurrected immediately afterward (I think he was dead just a couple of hours in universe even). And that is precisely why stakes have been meaningless in the franchise for decades now, and the Super DB are a terrible narrative device in my opinion. At least GT had the decency of putting serious downside to the Dark Star DBs to avoid another "Get out of jail free" macguffin.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:29 am

What date again is the trailer supposed to be coming out? The 21st of June?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:40 am

sangofe wrote:What date again is the trailer supposed to be coming out? The 21st of June?
I think so as it's supposed to release alongside V-Jump.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.