Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 am

Finally some fresh air.
New characters, old characters who were clearly underused coming back, and finally an episode without that boring Cumber in.

8/10., only because Hit was useless and they pretty much ruined him. I mean, why not kill those two with your best echniques? Instead of randomly firing ki blasts.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:23 am

Shaddy wrote:I really do wonder what makes you think any of these characters are interesting, or what about this plot is anything but more people fighting to you, or how either of those differ from the main series such that you condescend to others about how great it is so often. The only thing that gave me even a thought about anyone here was "oh hey, it's Takehito Koyasu".

Which is not to say it wasn't a better episode than most, it's just that the standard is still at rock bottom. The animation was obviously still completely static and with little sense of depth or space, but at the very least there were enough different characters involved that the action didn't feel too stale. I hate the designs of the new baddies (which makes sense, as they appear to be GT-related, and I hate the designs in that show), and they basically wasted the U6 characters since they never have enough time in each episode to build up any kind of dynamic or weight to any battles. Not even an explanation for why anyone is here or why they might, oh god, actually care about what they're doing.
They're all there because the Tuffles attacked all U6.

And I prefer this plot (a bunch of evil dudes who want to eliminate Zeno) to that boring movie plot, which features the return of yet another old recycled character.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:52 am

That's not the plot, it's the premise. The premise of Prison Planet was that Goku and Vegeta and Trunks and Mai were trapped on a weird planet and had to escape. The plot of that arc was that Goku fought Goku, they fought cumber for like half an hour, Trunks broke out of jail, there was some fusions, Goku went Ultra Instinct and then everything exploded. There wasn't any defined motivations, stakes, themes, characterization, or dynamics, things that should be a given for this series, and which are present in even the worst arcs. It was soulless and empty and saying "well at least it didn't bring back that character even though here it is bringing back all these other characters" isn't an actual factor in quality, it's comparing the premise as if it were more important than the story itself.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 am

Shaddy wrote:That's not the plot, it's the premise. The premise of Prison Planet was that Goku and Vegeta and Trunks and Mai were trapped on a weird planet and had to escape. The plot of that arc was that Goku fought Goku, they fought cumber for like half an hour, Trunks broke out of jail, there was some fusions, Goku went Ultra Instinct and then everything exploded. There wasn't any defined motivations, stakes, themes, characterization, or dynamics, things that should be a given for this series, and which are present in even the worst arcs. It was soulless and empty and saying "well at least it didn't bring back that character even though here it is bringing back all these other characters" isn't an actual factor in quality, it's comparing the premise as if it were more important than the story itself.
Zamasu, Hit, Jiren, Toppo and Kefla, to name a few, are all more interesting than Broly. This arc should feature them all and this interests me more than that mediocre movie. This is it.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 am

They were more interesting than the original version of Broly, when they were being written for something more important and cared for than Heroes. I guarantee this arc will suck all of the life and personality out of them the same way the last one did with Goku, Vegeta, Trunks and Mai.

And either way, saying "nah but I liked the characters being rehashed in this one better" still isn't a really strong criticism at all.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 am

This was a fun episode. I've said the series picked up recently, last two episodes are watchable enough and probably no different to a regular budget DBS ep, except being shorter. I like there's more melee actions now and not just beam struggles (as Camba had way too much of these)

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 am

I really gotta watch The Tournament of Power again. Missed seeing Caulilfa, Kale and Hit, but this 'show' is so shit on every fundemental level it's actually curious how you end up with tripe like this. 17-18 clones with a Baby makeover have to be the single absolute worst characters I've seen. The fights are terrible in both the way they're written and animated. That pimp guy looks cool.

All in all, terrible. Seems to be everything with the Super manga put into a shitty Heroes commercial. I'm out of this piece of shit. Good luck to who can stand and watch this.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:30 am

Shaddy wrote:That's not the plot, it's the premise. The premise of Prison Planet was that Goku and Vegeta and Trunks and Mai were trapped on a weird planet and had to escape. The plot of that arc was that Goku fought Goku, they fought cumber for like half an hour, Trunks broke out of jail, there was some fusions, Goku went Ultra Instinct and then everything exploded. There wasn't any defined motivations, stakes, themes, characterization, or dynamics, things that should be a given for this series, and which are present in even the worst arcs. It was soulless and empty and saying "well at least it didn't bring back that character even though here it is bringing back all these other characters" isn't an actual factor in quality, it's comparing the premise as if it were more important than the story itself.
Yeah, if the Anime used the plot from the game/manga, it might have more interest since that involved more story attributes actually happening. Even for a promotional anime the whole Cumber fight was just boring because nothing was really happening.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 am

Kamin and Oren are awesome characters. Hope to see more of them but knowing Heroes they will probably die soon.

Where did Goku Xeno go though? Wasn't he after Fu or something? Is he gone forever or what? Or he continues to look after Fu when CC characters fight Hearts and his gang? I was kinda disappointed that he didn't see Kamin and Oren, because he'd probably recognize them as Machine Mutants.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 am

Shaddy wrote:They were more interesting than the original version of Broly, when they were being written for something more important and cared for than Heroes. I guarantee this arc will suck all of the life and personality out of them the same way the last one did with Goku, Vegeta, Trunks and Mai.

And either way, saying "nah but I liked the characters being rehashed in this one better" still isn't a really strong criticism at all.
You clearly do not get my point, and no, even the current version of Broly sucks.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 am

Draconic wrote:I really gotta watch The Tournament of Power again. Missed seeing Caulilfa, Kale and Hit, but this 'show' is so shit on every fundemental level it's actually curious how you end up with tripe like this. 17-18 clones with a Baby makeover have to be the single absolute worst characters I've seen. The fights are terrible in both the way they're written and animated. That pimp guy looks cool.

All in all, terrible. Seems to be everything with the Super manga put into a shitty Heroes commercial. I'm out of this piece of shit. Good luck to who can stand and watch this.
It's why I am worried that Toyotaro will use UI in his manga arc the same way Heroes did. Hell UI is even on the new key visual for Heroes! UI will make a return no doubt in the main series but it will be diminished by the fact it's being shown in other media. Why the f**k did Heroes even need to have UI Goku when they not only had SS4 Vegetto but Kaioken Vegetto Blue too! Hell they could have done a Goku & Goku fusion! Or double Vegetto fusion something that won't happen in the main series something that Heroes can get away with and sets it apart.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 am

All I could hear this episode was

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WARUDO ! 8)
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:All I could hear this episode was

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WARUDO ! 8)
Ahahaha xD

I liked this episode. It's always good to see U6 fighters again.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

DainIronfoot wrote:Indeed, i thought it was an okay start to this arc. We got several characters doing things, the music was nice and art for the most part was, as usual, polished. Curious how this arc continues...
Have you read the biographies of the characters and a brief summary plot? It'll give you more curiosity of what to come/expect next. :wink:
Zamasu55 wrote:You clearly do not get my point, and no, even the current version of Broly sucks.
You shouldn't really waste your time, you know. For some reason, even though Heroes "sucks" these people keep coming here after every episode is released to utter some silly things. So it's kinda pointless to try to reason with them. It's great to see that you also prefer some plot, by the way. I'd also suggest you to read the summary, if you haven't already, and to keep an eye in the arcade version for more details. :thumbup:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:19 pm

It breaks my heart seeing Rikiya Koyama and Takehito Koyasu are being wasted on this trash.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:10 pm

I also wish they could've utilized Dio's voice actor for something bigger than this. SDBH has no breathing room for fun grandiose villainous speeches. On paper the idea of Zamasu and his new friend not!Dio sounds amazing; like they could chew the scenery together in the best possible way, but in an 8 minute promo anime for an arcade game where the point is to showcase battles there's no time for them to do it.

My hope is they can get Dio's VA back to voice a different villain character when Super returns.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Chuquita wrote:an arcade game where the point is to showcase battles there's no time for them to do it.
Wrong. In the arcade the story is told the way it should be: through dialogues. And there's plenty of it in the game.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Chuquita wrote:an arcade game where the point is to showcase battles there's no time for them to do it.
Wrong. In the arcade the story is told the way it should be: through dialogues. And there's plenty of it in the game.
Is the dialogue read out loud in game? Even if it is, it's not the same as a Freeza or Cell during Z where they were on TV each week and had way more exposure.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

The first episode of 'Season 2' was alright, nothing great but watchable. It featured Dragon Ball characters from the 'New Gen' which I'm not too familiar with but eh, it's an enjoyable fan-fic at best.

Never get excited with a Super Dragon Ball Heroes episode or you're going to be disappointed.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:44 pm

I forgot this separate thread exists and only dumped this in the game thread earlier. Here's a bunch of translations and summaries from earlier:

Episode 8 - "Zamasu Revived?! The Curtain Rises on the Universal Conflict Arc!" summary
SDBH official site "Story" page translation (contains several new details for the arc, and at least one bit on Fu's goals that seemingly contradicts the take the anime gave him last episode, but -shrug-):
SDBH official site "Core Area" character bio translations:
Additional "Core Area" character blurb from the character overview page:
And last but not least, a summary of the entire first campaign of the Universal Conflict arc in the arcade game, using footage from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3Z2HsjYpI