Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by bleed0range » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:10 am

It was better than the first episode, but it feels like it’s just the basic story beats to the upcoming movie no?

Crazed overpowered bulky saiyan attacks Gokunand Vegeta, Freeza will probably help because he has to and go Golden and then Goku and Vegeta will fuse into Vegetto or more likely Gogeta.

So then why do the story here?

The only thing I can’t stand about these Heroes things are just how unimaginative they can be. Golden Cooler could have been Silver or something, at least. They could make the evil saiyan not feel like he’s just Broly’s brother. Or at least make him Broly’s brother. Or something. I understand it’s a game but if you’re gonna make these and implement a story at least try a little harder.

Also the prison planet background is the most laughable thing I’ve seen with giant padlocks an chains wrapped around it. That looks horrible.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Cooler: "Fu, off screen you told me that my brother became Golden, right? Well, in the name of fan service, I pull this transformation right out of my bung hole!"

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:19 pm

I agree that this episode is better than first. More fighting and other cooler stuff. It's so good to see Cumber and I can't wait for his fight with Vegetto. Too bad we didn't see Trunks&Cooler vs Bojack, it was in the manga, but I understand that they couldn't give us everything in just a 8 minutes long episode. The worst thing of this is that we have to wait till September for episode 3. I guess it's better than getting nothing at all. Till the next time.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Of course, everyone has their opinion and I respect that. But I really can't understand it though, like those who say this Evil Saiyan is an entertaining villain. Isn't he just another dump character who screams all the time and just want to fight? The cliche dark and red aura, with Vegeta stupidly saying he didn't feel such an "evil" ki before make me laugh instead of taking him seriously and feel his "intimidating presence". The fast pacing without explaining anything can't help too.

Such a shame they wasted Rikiya Koyama on this character.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

OverHeaven wrote:Of course, everyone has their opinion and I respect that. But I really can't understand it though, like those who say this Evil Saiyan is an entertaining villain. Isn't he just another dump character who screams all the time and just want to fight? The cliche dark and red aura, with Vegeta stupidly saying he didn't feel such an "evil" ki before make me laugh instead of taking him seriously and feel his "intimidating presence". The fast pacing without explaining anything can't help too.

Such a shame they wasted Rikiya Koyama on this character.
Its just to promote the game, which is only just starting to reveal a few things about him too. I'm hoping by the end of this anime run he's more fleshed out. All we know for now is hes an ancient super saiyan with a golden oozaru form

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:I actually like Cumber. His presence feels intimidating, and his background as a mysterious ancient Saiyan imbues some kind of vague intrigue for the character. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of depth here, but I think he suits a game like Heroes.

Still not feeling Golden Cooler or the story in general, but there's a thrilling, almost hectic atmosphere in this episode that makes it more enjoyable than the first one.
Wasn't one of your gripes with Golden Cooler the fact that unlike Freeza he should have no reason to chose the Gold color for himself? I feel it gets adressed with him knowing from Fuu that Freeza used the same color. It is basically another link in the chain: Freeza chose Gold because Super Saiyan was gold and Cooler chose Gold because Freeza did it first. It kinda fits well with the inferiority complex he has over his brother :D
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:12 pm

So when is the next episode? Is there a next episode?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 pm

If this is supposed to be the Vegeta from DBS, how does he know who Cooler is?

Also this whole thing seems very rushed. They're condensing stuff even more than in the manga for this same story. And Vegeta just agrees to use the potara without even objecting first...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:If this is supposed to be the Vegeta from DBS, how does he know who Cooler is?
In Super Dragon Ball Heroes, everything is canon. lol
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Also this whole thing seems very rushed. They're condensing stuff even more than in the manga for this same story. And Vegeta just agrees to use the potara without even objecting first...
Well, when the fusion only lasts two minutes, what's the big deal? lol

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Bullza wrote:So when is the next episode? Is there a next episode?
In September (9月) - http://carddass.com/dbh/sdbh/prison_planet/movie.php.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Bullza wrote:So when is the next episode? Is there a next episode?
If you wait till the end of this episode, there is a very short preview for episode 3, so yes - there is a next episode. We have to wait till September this time.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:16 pm

September 9th....

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm

I can't take this seriously. :problem:
It's so "Rushed" that it feels like an extended cutscene with a voiceover.

But maybe you have not to take it seriously. It's just a promotional thing. You just have to take it as it is.

The only good thing, it looks actually nice.

Where's Xeno Goku in all of this?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Draconic wrote: Wasn't one of your gripes with Golden Cooler the fact that unlike Freeza he should have no reason to chose the Gold color for himself?
Partially, and I'll give credit where it's due: I'm glad that there's a hint of an explanation. I just don't feel like the color suits Cooler like it does Freeza, the symbolism behind it doesn't resonate as strongly, and I don't find the gold aesthetic as visually appealing on Cooler's fifth form. It still comes across as something that was created specifically to pander to fans rather than add to his character, I think. It's Heroes though, so this isn't out of place.

I'd probably be more receptive to the idea if he put a unique spin on the transformation.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm

This was better than the first one. Keep in mind that "better" does not mean "good."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:29 pm

I know this basically an eight minute commercial, but damn, the story still move FAR too quickly. That being said, Cumber is the type of menacing villain this anime needed. He's imposing, intimidating and caries (literally) a poisonous aura with him. The fights were certainly a major step up from the last episode, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are "good".

I also got a huge kick out of Golden Cooler and Vegetto returning.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:02 pm

thegamer23 wrote:Where's Xeno Goku in all of this?
Good question. Where the heck did he go? He was still with the others last we saw him.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Good question. Where the heck did he go? He was still with the others last we saw him.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Who is drawing the manga? Cuz ouch that doesn't look great at all /:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Who is drawing the manga? Cuz ouch that doesn't look great at all /:
It's not the best artstyle, I'll agree (and I don't know who the artist is), but don't try to judge it based on a single page. The composition and panelling in this more than makes up for it!
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW