How come Devilman (1972) has higher-quality audio than DB/DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How come Devilman (1972) has higher-quality audio than DB/DBZ?

Post by Deathbringer » Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

I was watching the 1972 Devilman anime by Toei and noticed that despite being made in 1972 and despite being handled by Toei Animation, the audio was of a very high quality level, the sound was very full sounding and crisp unlike the muffled audio that you get for the official releases of DB/DBZ. I've done a bit more looking around and it seems that there is actually a Blu-Ray of the 1972 Devilman anime and I'm assuming Toei is behind it so that must have been what I was watching. So I have to ask why on Earth this anime was given such care and attention when this is the same company which flat out refused to be given high-quality Dragon Ball Z audio from fans. I also notice that the audio in their Slam Dunk blu ray is quite clear as well, I wonder what made them want to do a blu ray for that series but not DB/DBZ?
Last edited by Deathbringer on Sat May 19, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: How come Devilman (1972) has higher-quality audio than DB/DBZ?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 am

We don't really need to know the details of your piracy habits.

That particular Devilman production was a limited run of episodes. Keeping all of the master production materials for something of the era like that is infinitely easier than doing so with a never-ending (until it actually ends) show like Dragon Ball.

Slam Dunk has the benefit of being long but not too long, and beginning production a number of years after Dragon Ball.

There was never any plan to actually sell people "the show" back then. It was a weekly commercial that was only ever going to be broadcast on analog television.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Also, the BD of Devilman is terrible. It's just an upscale. I feel like most of their 90's series have terrible audio. Compare Cutie Honey (1973) to Cutey Honey (1997). Flash sounds like it was recorded in a trash can.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm

I might be wrong, but i think Sailor Moon had pretty good audio quality, every series from 1992-1997 :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:20 pm

i don't know lot of things about how Toei store all anime but maybe that they kept audio master for devilman or that they can access to the studio audio straight from the dubbing studio

In France for example, i know that the series was dub into a studio and that they gave the finish product to ab production (the customers). nothing say if the studio have kept or not the audio masters too, it's maybe the same for devilman but or Toei or the studio have kept the audio

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat May 19, 2018 9:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We don't really need to know the details of your piracy habits.
You're very rude sometimes, you know.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:02 am

Its the truth. We really dont need to know.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: