How do you feel about Frieza after the tournament of power

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How do you feel about Frieza after the tournament of power

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri May 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Freeza returning in Resurrection 'F' was stupid, pointless fanservice. While the character was handled ever so slightly better in the Tournament of Power, it was still stupid, pointless fanservice. I'm totally with ABED on this. Freeza has long since succumbed to the law of diminishing returns. Even if you just count what's seemingly included in the Super continuity, he's returned well past his expiration date. But since the franchise does not exist in a vacuum, it's hard to ignore all the other times Freeza has returned in various ways over the years. Freeza returning in Z filler. Freeza returning in movie 12. Freeza returning in GT. And then if you factor in the other Nakao-voiced characters who are ultimately just re-skinned Freeza clones brought in to fulfill the Freeza role in a story (Coola and Chilled), that's another three times. Freeza returning is such an overdone concept it's gone well past the point of ridiculousness.

But, you know, if there was a story that really made it worth it, then even I'd be able to possibly overlook it. I mean, it'd have to be really good and really take advantage of Freeza in a way that simply could not work with any other character. But the Tournament of Power is such a terrible, terrible story in and of itself. Freeza was reintroduced in such a terrible, terrible way. I can't imagine what they were thinking with that, how anyone could think that was a good idea. I'm not even a huge fan of Boo, but that was just such an unnecessary bait and switch. Also, it was doubly repetitive. Not only were they bringing back a character who's been brought back a ridiculous number of times, but they do so by incapacitating Boo... which they'd also done before at the very last tournament. And while his initial entrance was actually kind of cool, even I have to admit, the rest of his appearance was largely overshadowed by all the other characters the story had to deal with, and it was definitely bogged down by the incessant boredom that permeated large chunks of that story arc.

And then to end it with Freeza's previous status quo returned? Sigh. I remember one of the things I always liked about Dragon Ball was how everything was always changing and developing. Now... let's just keep things at their most marketable and never take any risks. Ever.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Freeza returning in Resurrection 'F' was stupid, pointless fanservice. While the character was handled ever so slightly better in the Tournament of Power, it was still stupid, pointless fanservice. I'm totally with ABED on this. Freeza has long since succumbed to the law of diminishing returns. Even if you just count what's seemingly included in the Super continuity, he's returned well past his expiration date. But since the franchise does not exist in a vacuum, it's hard to ignore all the other times Freeza has returned in various ways over the years. Freeza returning in Z filler. Freeza returning in movie 12. Freeza returning in GT. And then if you factor in the other Nakao-voiced characters who are ultimately just re-skinned Freeza clones brought in to fulfill the Freeza role in a story (Coola and Chilled), that's another three times. Freeza returning is such an overdone concept it's gone well past the point of ridiculousness.

But, you know, if there was a story that really made it worth it, then even I'd be able to possibly overlook it. I mean, it'd have to be really good and really take advantage of Freeza in a way that simply could not work with any other character. But the Tournament of Power is such a terrible, terrible story in and of itself. Freeza was reintroduced in such a terrible, terrible way. I can't imagine what they were thinking with that, how anyone could think that was a good idea. I'm not even a huge fan of Boo, but that was just such an unnecessary bait and switch. Also, it was doubly repetitive. Not only were they bringing back a character who's been brought back a ridiculous number of times, but they do so by incapacitating Boo... which they'd also done before at the very last tournament. And while his initial entrance was actually kind of cool, even I have to admit, the rest of his appearance was largely overshadowed by all the other characters the story had to deal with, and it was definitely bogged down by the incessant boredom that permeated large chunks of that story arc.

And then to end it with Freeza's previous status quo returned? Sigh. I remember one of the things I always liked about Dragon Ball was how everything was always changing and developing. Now... let's just keep things at their most marketable and never take any risks. Ever.
On the subject of Freeza getting brought back to life at the end of the ToP, I can’t help but think of all the terrifying implications that come with that. It was established at the beginning of the arc that Universe 7 only has about 28 planets with sentient life, and that it’s the second worst universe in the entire multiverse. With Freeza kicking it again, it doesn’t seem like things are going to be getting any better for Universe 7, and who knows how many beings will now be get wiped out as a result of Freeza’s ruthlessness? Hell, what if he stumbles across the new planet Namek? Not only would they get completely wiped out a second time, but Goku and the others wouldn’t even be able to use the Dragon Balls to wish them back. When you really stop to think about it, the ToP was pretty detrimental to the universe that Goku and friends live in.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Freeza returning in Resurrection 'F' was stupid, pointless fanservice. While the character was handled ever so slightly better in the Tournament of Power, it was still stupid, pointless fanservice. I'm totally with ABED on this. Freeza has long since succumbed to the law of diminishing returns. Even if you just count what's seemingly included in the Super continuity, he's returned well past his expiration date. But since the franchise does not exist in a vacuum, it's hard to ignore all the other times Freeza has returned in various ways over the years. Freeza returning in Z filler. Freeza returning in movie 12. Freeza returning in GT. And then if you factor in the other Nakao-voiced characters who are ultimately just re-skinned Freeza clones brought in to fulfill the Freeza role in a story (Coola and Chilled), that's another three times. Freeza returning is such an overdone concept it's gone well past the point of ridiculousness.

Nah Frieza is here to stay and your state is ridiclous things change

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri May 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Yeah I know you don't care but cell well if you don't want him to come back that's fine.Jeez dude weren't you the one who wanted cell to come back?
Of course I want him to come back, he's my favorite character in Z. But I would want him to come back to have a purpose or change in his character, to actually feel his return had merit. I don't want him or ANY character to come back just because, or even worse just for marketing. Just like I would like Freeza returning if he actually had some difference in character, but he hasn't, and unlike Cell, he's actually been back and hasn't done anything worthy of being brought back...3 times.
Toxin45 wrote:Toriyama wanted to make Frieza the only unreformed villain to return so that was kinds the point he is just more Willing to be more paicent in his goals now.
I don't know where you're getting this concept of Toriyama's reasons why he wanted Freeza back. I'd like to see an interview, Q&A, or something to show his reasons. Only time I recall lately about Freeza being mentioned was about his Golden Form, not his grand plan of his involvement in the tournament.
Toxin45 wrote: Frieza being redeemed would be jumping shark material anyway.
It wouldn't have to be him being a good guy completely and all jolly with the crew. I want SOME quality of change from him with his experience in the tournament. Even him dropping his hatred and drive to kill Goku due to him being the one that allowed him to be revived in the first place. Some showing of growth as a character.

Dragon Ball has always had drastic changes with characters, somehow Freeza changing something would just be too far?
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Logania wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:Yeah I know you don't care but cell well if you don't want him to come back that's fine.Jeez dude weren't you the one who wanted cell to come back?
Of course I want him to come back, he's my favorite character in Z. But I would want him to come back to have a purpose or change in his character, to actually feel his return had merit. I don't want him or ANY character to come back just because, or even worse just for marketing. Just like I would like Freeza returning if he actually had some difference in character, but he hasn't, and unlike Cell, he's actually been back and hasn't done anything worthy of being brought back...3 times.
Toxin45 wrote:Toriyama wanted to make Frieza the only unreformed villain to return so that was kinds the point he is just more Willing to be more paicent in his goals now.
I don't know where you're getting this concept of Toriyama's reasons why he wanted Freeza back. I'd like to see an interview, Q&A, or something to show his reasons. Only time I recall lately about Freeza being mentioned was about his Golden Form, not his grand plan of his involvement in the tournament.
Toxin45 wrote: Frieza being redeemed would be jumping shark material anyway.
It wouldn't have to be him being a good guy completely and all jolly with the crew. I want SOME quality of change from him with his experience in the tournament. Even him dropping his hatred and drive to kill Goku due to him being the one that allowed him to be revived in the first place. Some showing of growth as a character.

Dragon Ball has always had drastic changes with characters, somehow Freeza changing something would just be too far?
Cell already was made a joke in filler and gt besides Frieza is a complete monster always have been and so is cell and judging by what toriyama did it seems besides we have enough of reformed villains it was kinda getting old. Frieza and goku took out Jiren together and cell would still hold a grudge against Gohan and goku for killjoy and probably would take revenge besides it just like be the same with Frieza he will never repent.Frieza learned to be pragimatic and not to rush things like he used to besides cell is the least popular villain in Japan and also goku defeated him Frieza can't get over that so easily. Also cell is hard to animate and thus less profitable toriyama hated drawing cell so no cell won't come back Frieza is more popular in Japan and overseas while cell is more popular in the west than in Japan. Also look at dragon ball heroes anime and fighterz where cell was prominent

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri May 18, 2018 10:40 pm

For those of you who are fond of Freeza, I'm glad that you get to see more of him. I personally have just never found him interesting. I didn't change my mind with Resurrection F and while the TOP did have a few interesting plot points, which were not utilized very well in my opinion, it didn't really change my thoughts on Freeza. I still don't find him a very intriguing antagonist. He worked well during the Namek adventures but after that, I think he has served his due. I would much rather see different villains introduced.

Now, there is some room for growth and intriguing possibilities given Freeza's return to life but, as mentioned, he's just not a character I'm interested in so potential adventures with him just don't catch my attention. For those of you that enjoy him, more power to you, though.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 pm

ulisa wrote:For those of you who are fond of Freeza, I'm glad that you get to see more of him. I personally have just never found him interesting. I didn't change my mind with Resurrection F and while the TOP did have a few interesting plot points, which were not utilized very well in my opinion, it didn't really change my thoughts on Freeza. I still don't find him a very intriguing antagonist. He worked well during the Namek adventures but after that, I think he has served his due. I would much rather see different villains introduced.

Now, there is some room for growth and intriguing possibilities given Freeza's return to life but, as mentioned, he's just not a character I'm interested in so potential adventures with him just don't catch my attention. For those of you that enjoy him, more power to you, though.
How different? like real villains like goku black and Beerus,hit,and Jiren aren't actually villains just neutral beings. Like from universe 11 the killer of jiren's parents? Like who is your favorite villain and how many different villains? Like they would be cool or they would suck? Also the super movie is about Frieza and the Saiyans with a new villain so you could get your wish.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sat May 19, 2018 1:27 am

Toxin45 wrote:
ulisa wrote: How different? like real villains like goku black and Beerus,hit,and Jiren aren't actually villains just neutral beings. Like from universe 11 the killer of jiren's parents? Like who is your favorite villain and how many different villains? Like they would be cool or they would suck? Also the super movie is about Frieza and the Saiyans with a new villain so you could get your wish.
That's honestly a good question and I really am not entirely sure what kind of villains I'd like to see, aside from them being different than what we've had before. I was always a fan of Cell and King Piccolo as villains but I'd want to see something we haven't had before. I wouldn't mind a villain who wasn't necessarily absurdly powerful but incredibly cunning and smart. I wouldn't mind a villain who turned characters against one another (though it would need to be done in a unique manner) and frankly, while I can't remember the details of it, I did read a story several years ago where a villain was introduced who rendered ki manipulation impossible so the heroes had to fall back to old fashioned martial arts moves instead of energy attacks. The Dragonball verse is incredibly vast and especially with the concept of other universes, you could do a lot of different things.

Truthfully, one thing I would love is an antagonist that could eliminate the "undo" buttons that are the dragonballs and Whis. That's when you really get interesting fights and interactions, when you think "you're playin' for keeps."

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:14 am

ulisa wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
ulisa wrote: How different? like real villains like goku black and Beerus,hit,and Jiren aren't actually villains just neutral beings. Like from universe 11 the killer of jiren's parents? Like who is your favorite villain and how many different villains? Like they would be cool or they would suck? Also the super movie is about Frieza and the Saiyans with a new villain so you could get your wish.
That's honestly a good question and I really am not entirely sure what kind of villains I'd like to see, aside from them being different than what we've had before. I was always a fan of Cell and King Piccolo as villains but I'd want to see something we haven't had before. I wouldn't mind a villain who wasn't necessarily absurdly powerful but incredibly cunning and smart. I wouldn't mind a villain who turned characters against one another (though it would need to be done in a unique manner) and frankly, while I can't remember the details of it, I did read a story several years ago where a villain was introduced who rendered ki manipulation impossible so the heroes had to fall back to old fashioned martial arts moves instead of energy attacks. The Dragonball verse is incredibly vast and especially with the concept of other universes, you could do a lot of different things.

Truthfully, one thing I would love is an antagonist that could eliminate the "undo" buttons that are the dragonballs and Whis. That's when you really get interesting fights and interactions, when you think "you're playin' for keeps."
I doubt that last part though this is what the franchise is called dragon ball and also unless zalama is involved I don't see whis dying along with the other gods and Angels. I doubt toriyama and toei would think that. Besides we have that 12 universe thing and I don't think they would have villains of your liking anyway.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat May 19, 2018 4:50 am

I start to develop a liking to Frieza

I remember I used to hate Frieza a lot due to various factors: 1. Whole 5 minutes fiasco 2. Uchiyama & Ebisawa's pathetic handling of Frieza 3. Such loong....unwanted filler stretching already unbelievable SSJ Goku vs 100% Buff Frieza brawl to the point of ridiculousness

Add how Frieza is considered weakest baddy among Z's Boss Villain who was defeated by standard, untrained SSJ

But with RoF, he showed his capacity to surpass even likes of Gods which is....beyond words

Not to mention his key role during ToP to defeat Jiren alongside Goku. Such an intense moment!

I genuinely wish to see his character being developed in a different direction as opposed to regular galactic warlord & stuff.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat May 19, 2018 6:59 am

I'm feeling some Frieza Fatigue. Between his reappearances in filler, RoF, video games and the like, he's never really gone away. Even in arcs where he doesn't physically appear he's still brought up as a benchmark or as part of Cell or has a counterpart or something. The ToP did some new things with him at least.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:53 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I'm feeling some Frieza Fatigue. Between his reappearances in filler, RoF, video games and the like, he's never really gone away. Even in arcs where he doesn't physically appear he's still brought up as a benchmark or as part of Cell or has a counterpart or something. The ToP did some new things with him at least.
In Frieza's case he was the most iconic villain of the franchise of course he is gonna get a mentioned in some way. Heck Frieza appeared in Japanese commercials.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat May 19, 2018 10:16 am

Alright, I'm gonna be that guy; I love Freeza and I'm happy with his prominence in current material. It makes sense to me that after a time, the series' most iconic and influential villain would start taking on a bigger role again, and after the misfire that was Resurrection F, it was good that his latest appearance updated his characterisation to suit a recurring role better.

I'm not *that* keen about him coming back again so soon for the movie or the next series since it runs the risk of burning all that goodwill the Tournament of Power left. It'd be nice if he got put to the side for a bit.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat May 19, 2018 10:29 am

Kataphrut wrote:Alright, I'm gonna be that guy; I love Freeza and I'm happy with his prominence in current material. It makes sense to me that after a time, the series' most iconic and influential villain would start taking on a bigger role again, and after the misfire that was Resurrection F, it was good that his latest appearance updated his characterisation to suit a recurring role better.

I'm not *that* keen about him coming back again so soon for the movie or the next series since it runs the risk of burning all that goodwill the Tournament of Power left. It'd be nice if he got put to the side for a bit.
I think the fact that Resurrection of F wasn't too great for the character made his return and growth in the Tournament of Power much better; contrast does wonders for making characters stand out.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sat May 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Toxin45 wrote: I doubt that last part though this is what the franchise is called dragon ball and also unless zalama is involved I don't see whis dying along with the other gods and Angels. I doubt toriyama and toei would think that. Besides we have that 12 universe thing and I don't think they would have villains of your liking anyway.
Oh I don’t suspect they’ll take that angle; it’s just one I’d like to see. You’re correct it’s called “Dragonball “ but originally, it was about what happened on the journey —meeting new people, obstacles etc and not the wish itself that was important. Over time, the characters have grown too dependent on the Dragonballs and I think that would be something to address. Regardless of what you think of the execution, the idea of there being consequences to relying so much on the Dragonballs is something I praise GT for.

I didn’t necessarily mean eliminating Whis or the Angels—I’ve actually grown fond of Whis and Beerus—but placing a limit on what they could do. How that would come about, I’m not sure but having a constant “reset” button takes away a lot of potential tension.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:12 pm

ulisa wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: I doubt that last part though this is what the franchise is called dragon ball and also unless zalama is involved I don't see whis dying along with the other gods and Angels. I doubt toriyama and toei would think that. Besides we have that 12 universe thing and I don't think they would have villains of your liking anyway.
Oh I don’t suspect they’ll take that angle; it’s just one I’d like to see. You’re correct it’s called “Dragonball “ but originally, it was about what happened on the journey —meeting new people, obstacles etc and not the wish itself that was important. Over time, the characters have grown too dependent on the Dragonballs and I think that would be something to address. Regardless of what you think of the execution, the idea of there being consequences to relying so much on the Dragonballs is something I praise GT for.

I didn’t necessarily mean eliminating Whis or the Angels—I’ve actually grown fond of Whis and Beerus—but placing a limit on what they could do. How that would come about, I’m not sure but having a constant “reset” button takes away a lot of potential tension.
Yeah the shadow dragons but the antagonist themselves were poorly executed and Nova was the only one with development.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 19, 2018 4:14 pm

The 4 star Dragon doesn't actually develop, he always has a sense of honor.

I agree about the stories needing consequences. Even though Whis's power of timetravel was set up earlier in the movie, it gives an easy out for the heroes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:29 pm

ABED wrote:The 4 star Dragon doesn't actually develop, he always has a sense of honor.

I agree about the stories needing consequences. Even though Whis's power of timetravel was set up earlier in the movie, it gives an easy out for the heroes.
Meh the future trunks arc did have consequences though Trunks lost his timeline forever thanks to Zamasu.