New Dragon Ball has succeeded where new Star Wars failed

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: New Dragon Ball has succeeded where new Star Wars failed

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 am

Logania wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Just speaking from personal experience here, but I think part of the problem here is that they're overproducing shit nobody wants. Every toy store I've been to has been clogged up with characters like Constable Zuvio or Krennic or some one-off background character while the main characters are scarce. The store where I work still has several pegs worth of those two and Finn (Jakku) figures. We can't even get rid of them on clearance. The Marvel Legends figures have occasionally run into this too.
That is also a problem. Also the fact that all the merchandise for Star Wars compared to other toys is so overpriced it's ridiculous.

That's funny about the Marvel Figures, my nephew is a huge comic fan, so I usually go to the store every month or so to buy him an action figure, and Legends is usually all gone! (Although I kind of look for some Spider-Man Legends figures for me at times as well, the Spidey fan in me needs them)
We were late getting some of the Avengers toys on the shelf because we had a serious overstock of some yahoo who I think was from the Serpent Society. His name wasn't even written on the package. :lol: Bandai knows which side its bread is buttered on. Goku and Vegeta move product, so if you want a figure of them, you're going to have very little trouble getting one as they're made in abundance. It's the secondary characters who are scarce and shortpacked.

You're absolutely right about the pricing. Their little 3.5" action figures cost more than the basic 5-6" figures of other lines and they can't even be bothered to include elbow and knee articulation!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 19, 2018 8:36 am

foxfang4 wrote:3- "Sintzu's" comment of "Compared to the force awakens' 2.1 billion" is basically a "mike drop" comment.
No. No, it's not. It's not even close to a mic drop comment, actually. For someone who complains about the whole "burn the past" theme, I'd think you'd be more up on Star Wars's past. You know what film also experienced a dip in both revenue and critical acclaim when it came out? The Empire Strikes Back. You know, that film that's been considered the high-water mark of Star Wars films for decades. That, unfortunately, led to the much more "play it safe" sequel of Return of the Jedi, which is nowadays often considered the weakest of the trilogy. And it brought in more money. But make no mistake that both ESB and TLJ were both huge critical and commercial successes. I'm just hoping history doesn't repeat itself now with the third film of this trilogy, but then again, it would seem to prove the historical lesson.

Everyone's free to think what they want, obviously. But I can't wrap my head around comparing Super to The Last Jedi. Super is such an empty, vacuous, boring, and most damning of all, FANSERVICE-covered mess. The Last Jedi is hardly perfect, but when it nails it, boy, does it nail it. I have been a Star Wars fan for nearly a quarter of a century. Slightly longer than I've been a Dragon Ball fan. And TLJ got me bona fide excited about The Force again. It made me fall in love with my childhood hero of Luke Skywalker again, and it made me in awe of him in ways I didn't even think possible. The ending with Luke and Kylo is the best lightsaber confrontation in the entire franchise, bar none, and I'm someone who held fast to Empire's lightsaber duel as the gold standard for decades. And I can forgive its few head scratching moments because it was very clearly trying to be something ambitious and thought-provoking.

Dragon Ball Super just wants to dangle the shiny keys in the faces of the fans. Let's bring Freeza back for the 47th time. Let's throw in Vegetto for no reason and remove any kind of internal conflict that would keep us from using it. Let's throw in lots of pointless twists. Let's have nonstop, boring fighting go on for the better part of a year, making sure to throw in lots of shiny new transformations and retreading as many character beats from previous story arcs as possible. Dragon Ball Super is pandering. And as a fan, I find that insulting. I don't like being pandered to. I want a good story.

Honestly, I wish Star Wars and Dragon Ball would both die. They've already had satisfying endings. There was no need to resuscitate the corpses of either of them. I blanche at the thought that we're getting another Star Wars movie six flippin' months after the last one, and that it's never going to end until it becomes unprofitable. But in terms of quality, the new Star Wars has blown the new Dragon Ball out of the water.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 am

I still stand by me belief that it's not for the better when stories put another main character in the lead after a long time. I would've preferred the new Star Wars movies centered around the original cast but at this stage in their lives. That said, DB has an advantage over SW in that its characters don't the physical limitations of actors aging or dying. Goku can stay in his prime forever. I can get on board with new SW stories centered on new characters if I find them interesting, but I don't think I'll ever find them as interesting as Han, Luke, Leia, and Vader. It's not just due to nostalgia, either.

What Gaffer Tape wrote.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:48 am

ABED wrote:

People are allowed to dislike whatever they want, but a great deal many of the criticisms towards the latest SW movie have been because Johnson subverted their expectations. .
I think that's a very simplistic and condescending way to undermine legitimate criticism by, yes, an extremely large portion of the fan base. To retreat back to "we are all individuals" and ignoring the overwhelming negative response is in my view a cop out, and a desperate one at that. There are many films considered great in history that have subverted expectations (see: Alfred Hitchcock). To decry that "subverted expectations" as the reason for someone not liking something is so insulting (and so simple minded). Basically, you're calling people stupid, and cry babies at the same time for not accepting your view. There's no substance to the rhetoric. People know what they saw. I've spoken to the most objective, clear thinkers I've ever met and their reasonings for stating the film movie was objectively bad were very convincing. (Not that these views reflect mine. I'm pretty indifferent to Star Wars).

As a side note, Last Jedi did way worse than Disney had planned. It flopping in China was an unprecedented disaster for Disney (it did a small % of what they were expecting). There are many articles by media and financial experts online detailing this. (Film Goblin's analysis of this is noteworthy).

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:53 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
foxfang4 wrote:3- "Sintzu's" comment of "Compared to the force awakens' 2.1 billion" is basically a "mike drop" comment.
No. No, it's not. It's not even close to a mic drop comment, actually. For someone who complains about the whole "burn the past" theme, I'd think you'd be more up on Star Wars's past. You know what film also experienced a dip in both revenue and critical acclaim when it came out? The Empire Strikes Back. You know, that film that's been considered the high-water mark of Star Wars films for decades.
That's just simply not true. That view is just an internet myth that was passed down without any evidence. And sadly, repeated by Rian Johnson recently in yet another desperate attempt to divert attention from the criticism he had been receiving. Michael Kaminski: "The Secret History of Stars Wars" definitely put an end to that myth. People had a slight issue with it having "no ending". But the critics and audience raved about Empire being as groundbreaking as the first.

(If you don't want to read Kaminski's book, there's a nice archive of reviews from 1980 showing on RT showing it had overwhelmingly positive reviews. Sorry man. You can't really shield The Last Jedi from criticism with a false internet myth).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 19, 2018 10:02 am

ABED wrote:
It is Compared to the force awakens' 2.1 billion. That's of course not counting the merchandise sitting on store shelves.
The Force Awakens is the first Star Wars movie in a decade. I don't think even Lucasfilm was counting on that same success for subsequent movies.
Regardless, it shouldn't have made 700 million less.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 19, 2018 10:11 am

That's just simply not true. That view is just an internet myth that was passed down without any evidence. And sadly, repeated by Rian Johnson recently in yet another desperate attempt to divert attention from the criticism he had been receiving. Michael Kaminski: "The Secret History of Stars Wars" definitely put an end to that myth. People had a slight issue with it having "no ending". But the critics and audience raved about Empire being as groundbreaking as the first.

(If you don't want to read Kaminski's book, there's a nice archive of reviews from 1980 showing on RT showing it had overwhelmingly positive reviews. Sorry man. You can't really shield The Last Jedi from criticism with a false internet myth).
Not a myth. I've seen plenty of reviews that were negative towards Empire.
I think that's a very simplistic and condescending way to undermine legitimate criticism by, yes, an extremely large portion of the fan base. To retreat back to "we are all individuals" and ignoring the overwhelming negative response is in my view a cop out, and a desperate one at that.
There are legit criticisms of the film, but to say that there weren't plenty that didn't like that their ideas of how it should've gone is just flat out false. I in no way backtracked and it wasn't a cop out. I'm tired of people talking about 'the fans" as if we're all one and share the same opinion. There was a negative response, but there was PLENTY of positive response towards the movie. I've talked to a ton of star wars fans and far too many of them hate the film based on it not going the way they thought it was going to or how it should've gone. Killing Snoke in the second film was often cited by them as a fault. I have no problem speaking down to those fans if they come off as bratty children for not getting their way. I'm not being simplistic. You seem to look past my point that there are legit criticisms that have been pointed out about the movie, though I think many of them stem from The Force Awakens.

And thanks for taking my comment out of context. Your Hitchcock example doesn't work in this context because he wasn't dealing with sequels to a massively successful franchise where millions of fans dissected and theorized the answers to the questions that had been set up for years before any of his films were released.

There are legit criticisms and I also have a few, but deciding that Rey's parents were nobodies and Snoke not being Darth Plagueis or Mace Windu aren't among them. If it comes off like I'm calling some people stupid, then so be it because those theories were friggin stupid and the point of contention is dumb. Snoke was never set up as being anyone other than a guy named Snoke. Rey's parentage was set up as a mystery but revealing they were nobodies instead of being conveniently connected to characters we've seen before is not bad writing. Killing off a character you thought would be in the third film and complaining because you don't know where the story goes is a criticism I've seen again and again. Really, they hate it because they don't know where the story is going. I've never dismissed legit criticisms towards the film and I've never painted the negative response as TOTALLY due to unreasonable expectations, just a good portion.

I've heard from Star Wars fans themselves "no one hates Star Wars as much Star Wars fans".

I think it's a tad too early to draw any solid conclusions about they why in any of this because we're still in the thick of it. A lot people are saying how successful Super has been, but it's hard to really tell.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 19, 2018 11:53 am

foxfang4 wrote:That's just simply not true. That view is just an internet myth that was passed down without any evidence. And sadly, repeated by Rian Johnson recently in yet another desperate attempt to divert attention from the criticism he had been receiving. Michael Kaminski: "The Secret History of Stars Wars" definitely put an end to that myth. People had a slight issue with it having "no ending". But the critics and audience raved about Empire being as groundbreaking as the first.

My good fellow, I have read Kaminski's book more times than I can count over the past 12 years or so. And because of that, I can tell you that not only are you taking that section of the book out of context (Kaminski uses it to refute the claim of the time that the prequels were better received than the original films), you're also inadvertently proving my point. Because you happened to stop quoting my post right before I said, "But make no mistake that both ESB and TLJ were both huge critical and commercial successes." And that was my point to begin with. Despite a critical and commercial dip from the original Star Wars, ESB was still a huge success in both of those area. And despite the dip TLJ received in comparison to TFA, it is still a very highly regarded and highly successful film with only a vocal minority grumbling about it. And like with the complaints about ESB that you mention (that it had no ending), the majority of complaints too for TLJ have been what ABED has listed: anger that the film was not what they had expected it to be.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:59 am

sintzu wrote:What helped Super was that the original author came back and continued it, he built on the story and elements that made it likable. What happened with star wars on the other hand was that crazy kathleen kennedy who's nothing like George lucas, bulldozed everything that made star wars loved and is rebuilding it in her crazy SJW image. What makes things worse is that she, her actors and directors have turned it into a political stage where it's "white men" this, "sexism" that and "bigots" the other. People go to movies to get away from reality, no one wants someone's politics forced down their throats, let alone that of the far left. Don't believe me ? look at the sale numbers of anything that pushes those agendas compared to things that don't.
huh. So I guess we're going to forget the 20 odd years of people bitching and whining about the prequels and Lucas' constant tinkering with the old trilogy. Because, yup, TLJ ruined Star Wars for everyone--because of the wimmen.

ok, then.
foxfang4 wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:ummmm...
On Star Wars. That franchise is one of the largest examples of fictional world-building, and you just want it to continually focus on the same characters? That's fucking dull. And it's one of the reasons why I don't care for The Force Awakens because, while it seemed to set itself up as a new generation of Star Wars, it goes right back into Luke-Jedi nonsense.

Like Thanos wrote: "Dragon Ball is Goku". And I argue Star Wars (to the majority, because SW now has been split into many factions) is Han, Luke and Leia.
Yeah, ok.

I think the Star Wars EU would like to have a word with you.

And again, real funny using the prequels as any sort of proof of giving what the "fans" want. heh.

I'm not suggesting that DB isn't Goku, in a way I agree. But my point is that it's pointless to keep that franchise going because everything that series will eventually do has already been done. I love DB, but I know when a good thing is dead. and DBS is hardly recognizable as the show I loved when I was a kid. More importantly, comparing Dragonball to Star Wars is really, really dumb. And while both franchises contain some great world-building, Star Wars is extensive to the point that it totally can support stories that don't even contain Luke Skywalker. Wanna know how I know that? Just take a look at any related book, video games, television series so I know it's possible. So I don't have a problem with it happening in the movies, nor should anyone honestly.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:07 pm

also:https://www.starwars.com/news/critical- ... al-reviews
“The Empire Strikes Back is not a truly terrible movie. It’s a nice movie. It’s not, by any means, as nice as Star Wars. It’s not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it’s also silly. Attending to it is a lot like reading the middle of a comic book. It is amusing in fitful patches but you’re likely to find more beauty, suspense, discipline, craft and art when watching a New York harbor pilot bring the Queen Elizabeth 2 into her Hudson River berth, which is what The Empire Strikes Back most reminds me of. It’s a big, expensive, time-consuming, essentially mechanical operation. The Empire Strikes Back is about as personal as a Christmas card from a bank.”

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Not sure if I'm drawing an artificial distinction, but I think that even if Star Wars is at its best when it's centered on the characters we met in Episode 4, it's a story about a galaxy at war, which lends itself to stories not just about the Skywalkers. Dragon Ball on the other hand may be titled after mystical McGuffins, but the story is inherently about Goku and his journey.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat May 19, 2018 3:09 pm

I'm not a huge fan of any Star Wars stuff outside the original trilogy, but there's nothing worse than fucking nerds bitching about "SJWs"

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:23 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:I'm not a huge fan of any Star Wars stuff outside the original trilogy, but there's nothing worse than fucking nerds bitching about "SJWs"
This guy.

True g.o.a.t, I say.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat May 19, 2018 3:25 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:There's nothing worse than fucking nerds bitching about "SJWs"
Just bringing up things like "these damn feminists argh" just out of the blue, like a YouTube comment section, sure.

But there's nothing wrong with discussing a company's use of forcing social/political narrative onto people, and using typical buzzwords on them when said people don't like it. It's a terrible business practice and is a problem with Lucasfilms at the moment.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Logania wrote:
Just bringing up things like "these damn feminists argh" just out of the blue, like a YouTube comment section, sure.

But there's nothing wrong with discussing a company's use of forcing social/political narrative onto people, and using typical buzzwords on them when said people don't like it. It's a terrible business practice and is a problem with Lucasfilms at the moment.
It's the business practice that you find annoying? It's not the creation of dumb terms like "woke" and "mansplain"? And sometimes it's not the company at issue, it's the bad artistry.

I don't have a problem with social/political messages in stories, not even ones I disagree with if they are done well.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Logania wrote:Just bringing up things like "these damn feminists argh" just out of the blue, like a YouTube comment section, sure.

No, it really isn't. This is a COMPLETELY imaginary "offense" on the part of the very same kinds of "online nerds" who "just bring up these damn feminists out of the blue" all of the time and whatnot.

Look I have IMMENSE problems with the new Disney Star Wars movies myself (not least of which being the question of "Why does this even need to continue to go on existing at all like this in the first place?" much in the same way as current revived Dragon Ball): their casting a female and African American into dual lead roles however is in NO way among them though. As many have already said, the original Star Wars trilogy did much the very same thing (Leia and Lando both say hi), and no one gave a crap back then: mostly because back then we didn't have an alt-right-like presence stoking up this nonsense among geek communities.

The new Star Wars movies being badly written and hopelessly derivative of the classic trilogy is a problem which is COMPLETELY divorced and detached from the gender/ethnic status of the lead roles. It has EVERYTHING to do with these movies simply being lazy, hackneyed, corporatized, money-sponging tripe meant to suck nostalgia dollars from a nerd community that simply doesn't know when to resist their own continued yearnings to endlessly repeat their whole childhoods vicariously through their favorite childhood media works.

That these film roles are being filled with a girl and a black dude has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the films' lack of creativity, nor their "pushing some kind of political agenda" on anyone, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that women and black people are groups that happen to exist in the world and might get cast as actors in movies (in lead roles even) from time to time. The films' lack of creativity and bad storytelling can be laid FIRMLY at the feet of Disney and their being little more than a money-vacuuming, soulless corporate monolith since... roughly almost forever and ever ago now.

The online nerd community getting whipped up into an impassioned frenzy over this type of thing is 1000% the initial invention of a bunch of embittered, sexually frustrated loser shitheads on places like 4chan and reddit who've (through a series of fucked up events over the past several years) have gotten themselves mixed up with various Neo-Nazi hate-groups like Stormfront and whatnot, and the snowballing fallout thereof. If you're someone who's genuinely fallen for this shit, then congratulations: you're an easily lead rube and a sucker who is falling for (IMMENSELY transparent and obvious) political propaganda. You're no different than the people who genuinely thought/continue to think that GamerGate was really all about "ethics in game journalism" rather than a thinly-disguised excuse for a bunch of online weirdos to stalk and harass a particular group of women they didn't personally like for vague, nebulous, and deeply personal/emotional reasons.

If I'm wrong about any of this, then answer one simple question: what sort of "political agenda" precisely does the casting of women and black people in a Star Wars movie (or in any other piece of "nerd media" for that matter) exactly entail? What sort of tangible social or policy agenda can POSSIBLY be accomplished through such "insidious" tactics as various mainstream Hollywood movie studios simply acknowledging the reality that the world isn't primarily or solely made up of white dudes? What sort of "horrible end result" will potentially take hold of society that we need to be so deeply concerned about should we live in a world where... oh horror of horrors... more black and brown people and people with vaginas end up becoming a bit more visible in mainstream media than before? :o :o :o

Answer that question sparing nothing in the way of specific details and substance rather than relying on vague emotional platitudes or anecdotes about how some college chick with blue hair said something mean and snotty to you once. And If your answer involves ANY use of the term "white genocide", then see my earlier explanation in the paragraph before last: you're an easily lead rube and sucker who's fallen (to whatever degree) for transparently obvious Neo-Nazi-esque bullshit cloaked in a dumbass 4chan/Otaku/Pepe veneer.

Oh and a bonus question: what does a movie (or any other given piece of media) have to accomplish in its execution exactly to "justify" its casting a woman/ethnic minority actor into a major role without it embodying some supposed "SJW political agenda" that might piss off the internet? A "political agenda" whose purpose, once again, is to do or accomplish... what again exactly? Once again, answer this sparing NOTHING in the way of substantive details and specifics.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat May 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Friendly reminder that trying to be apolitical, burying one's head in the sand, pursuing escapism rather than confronting reality, etc. like this:
sintzu wrote:People go to movies to get away from reality, no one wants someone's politics forced down their throats
...still constitutes being political. Inaction is still a type of action. If you stand around while a child is drowning in a bathtub right in front of you, you made a decision, you did something: you let them die. Being ambivalent toward something makes the political statement that you don't care about it.

Also, I have an immensely hard time believing that those who articulate their frustrations with left-leaning political messages in art by saying "this stuff shouldn't get political" would be saying the same thing if it was a political message they agreed with.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:11 pm

kemuri07 wrote:
TheBigBoy wrote:I'm not a huge fan of any Star Wars stuff outside the original trilogy, but there's nothing worse than fucking nerds bitching about "SJWs"
This guy.

True g.o.a.t, I say.
tyb

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:32 pm

ABED wrote:
Logania wrote:

It's the business practice that you find annoying? It's not the creation of dumb terms like "woke" and "mansplain"? And sometimes it's not the company at issue, it's the bad artistry.

I don't have a problem with social/political messages in stories, not even ones I disagree with if they are done well.
true story: about 99% of all films have some social/political messaging in their films because, duh, of course they do.

The entire point of film, especially those considered "popcorn" ease the audience and distract them from the fact that shit is awful and we're all going to die. So they take topics that are considered issues in the real world, and neatly tie them up within a three act structure. That way the audience walks out feeling good about themselves--until they're reminded yet again that nothing has changed and they run back to the next movie to "escape."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Zephyr wrote:Friendly reminder that trying to be apolitical, burying one's head in the sand, pursuing escapism rather than confronting reality, etc. constitutes being political. Inaction is still a type of action. I have an immensely hard time believing that those who articulate their frustrations with left-leaning political messages in art by saying "this stuff shouldn't get political" would be saying the same thing if it was a political message they agreed with.
When you break something down it'll have a political message in it, the difference between star wars and something like Snyder's batman (Scott Snyder is a democrate as well) is that one tries to force its views on people (star wars) while the other has publically said he tries his best not to and that when he does include a political message its to serve the story. Another difference is that Snyder respects and understands the brand he's working on and the people buying his product while the others are just obsessed with sex, race & gender and if you don't agree with them you're called every bigot known to man. I've never seen a company attack their fanbase the way the star wars people do. someone should clue them in that the people they're running after don't spend $$$ on anything so once they've scared normal people away they're going to be in trouble and if the box office and toy sales are anything to go by then its already started.

No one is saying you can't have a message, the problem comes when the sole purpose of that message is to push a political agenda and to attack anyone who doesn't agree. Fact of the matter is, the majority of people don't care about race and gender as they look at everyone equally, despite what the people at Hollywood tell you, never mind the fact that the majority of problems they "fight" are caused by them and are mostly found in their industry.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.