Favorite dragon ball minions?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Favorite dragon ball minions?

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 am

Who are your favorite dragon ball minions from these groups
Like from the red ribbon army and by extension the androids
Piccolo's clan Taborine,Drum,Piano,Cymbal
Frieza's empire The Finyu,Tagoma,Sorbet,Zarbon,Dodoria etc
Babidi's minions especially Dabura who would go on to become an independent in the videos with the demon empire.
Movie minions- Salza and Zangya are the most popular
Like I believe the most popular minions are the ginyu force due to how referenced they are compared to the others.
Last edited by Toxin45 on Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Favorite dragon ball minions?

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 am

Yeah, the Ginyu Force just has so much going for them.

They're eccentric, a parody of the classic Super Sentai-type team, and yet are also a big threat to our protagonists that also showcase how diverse and varied Freeza's forces are in addition to showing how far Son Goku has come after his battle with Vegeta.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Yeah, the Ginyu Force just has so much going for them.

They're eccentric, a parody of the classic Super Sentai-type team, and yet are also a big threat to our protagonists that also showcase how diverse and varied Freeza's forces are in addition to showing how far Son Goku has come after his battle with Vegeta.
Yeah too bad that Ginyu in Super was killed.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun May 20, 2018 10:00 am

I think Bojack's minions from M9: Bojack Unbound to be most lethal bunch of gangstas in DragonBall franchise

Zangya, Bujin, Bido & Kogu.

Each demonstrated extreme level of accuracy & team-up dat actually feels...quite rivetting to be watched. Y'know its just anime & stuff, yet feels so intimidating when yoj watch Bujin & Bido trap Trunks in the paralytic-web while Zangya kicks the shit outta Trunks mercilessly

I like Dabura as well. Dude's an excellent replacement for Fat Boo as boss villain. Top-notch design, cool movesets like Fire Breath, Conjured Swords, Stone Spit etc. Wish dude was utilized more

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 am

The Ginyu Force is a lot of fun. Not sure if I'm board with the slightly revisionist "uhhh they always sucked!" attitude I see a lot.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 am

TheBigBoy wrote:The Ginyu Force is a lot of fun. Not sure if I'm board with the slightly revisionist "uhhh they always sucked!" attitude I see a lot.
Even when they "suck", they're still a lot of fun to watch.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 20, 2018 11:42 am

I'll go with Babidi as managed to get a powerhouse like Dabura to work for him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Has to be Appule!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 20, 2018 12:30 pm

sangofe wrote:Has to be Appule!
Appule?!? You put APPULE at the top of your favourite minions list?! Appule couldn't even hold a number 8 spot, much less number 1!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:45 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Appule?!? You put APPULE at the top of your favourite minions list?! Appule couldn't even hold a number 8 spot, much less number 1!
Relax bro. It could be a joke.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun May 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Actually it is a quote from TFS, YOU LEFT APPULE IN CHARGE OF VEGETA? APPPUUULEE???!!!

To me, nothing beats (aside from Goku) Ginyu tokusentai and Cooler Kikosentai. Salza and Burter, to be precise

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:54 pm

The Ginyu are generally the gold standard of DB henchmen for a reason (though I also have a great deal of fondness for Zarbon and Dodoria both in terms of the Freeza empire): they've got the most personality and memorable moments/designs of the lot probably. Zarbon and Dodoria though I feel should not be discounted either, with Zarbon having a fun pseudo-rivalry with Vegeta and Dodoria just being memorably mean-spirited and vicious: definitely symbolizes how cruel and grave of a threat Freeza and his army are.

Apart from them, I'd also go with Piccolo Daimao's demon crew, as well as the henchmen from the first handful of DBZ movies (1-5, with 9 thrown in there as well). Tambourine in particular is an all time great minor DB villain, probably one of the earliest (besides Tao Pai Pai) who really drove out Goku's vengeful side, and I really love Drum's design and fight with Tenshinhan in the anime.

The movie henchmen are just great visual designs all around with unbelievably kickass fight scenes to go with them, and some of the small tiny scraps of backstory given to them in various sourcebooks I almost wish had somehow made their way into the movies (specifically the ones for Tullece's men).

I got nothing at all against Babidi's minions generally (Yakon has a fun gimmick, Spopovitch is downright creepy, and Pui Pui's fight with Vegeta is one of the best one-sided ass whippings in the whole series), but really Dabura's the only true standout among them. He's utterly fantastic though, one of the series' best for sure with a killer design and unforgettable set of fighting techniques.

Red Ribbon's I'm not as fond of overall: Tao Pai Pai aside (and he barely counts since he's not even an actual member of the army: just a 3rd party hired contract) the only true standouts for me are Blue and Murasaki (who are both just outstanding classic DB villains, don't get me wrong). The various Artificial Humans certainly pick up the slack though, and there's few of them I'm not at least somewhat partial to. White and Silver are kinda bland though, and Yellow and Violet are basically complete nothings. Metallic and Buyon are decent enough though, but still not my favorites.

Tao Pai Pai of course deserves special mention all by himself though: I'd probably place him at the very top, well above even the Ginyu Tokusentai. Probably the best design, fighting style, and personality of the whole lot by far and away, and of course he's DB's TRUE first ever "serious" villain, and still one of its best.

Generally speaking though, Dragon Ball does pretty damn great with minor villains and henchmen characters: even the lesser ones are still at least fun from a visual standpoint and bring SOMETHING cool to the table, however small.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:The Ginyu are generally the gold standard of DB henchmen for a reason (though I also have a great deal of fondness for Zarbon and Dodoria both in terms of the Freeza empire): they've got the most personality and memorable moments/designs of the lot probably. Zarbon and Dodoria though I feel should not be discounted either, with Zarbon having a fun pseudo-rivalry with Vegeta and Dodoria just being memorably mean-spirited and vicious: definitely symbolizes how cruel and grave of a threat Freeza and his army are.

Apart from them, I'd also go with Piccolo Daimao's demon crew, as well as the henchmen from the first handful of DBZ movies (1-5, with 9 thrown in there as well). Tambourine in particular is an all time great minor DB villain, probably one of the earliest (besides Tao Pai Pai) who really drove out Goku's vengeful side, and I really love Drum's design and fight with Tenshinhan in the anime.

The movie henchmen are just great visual designs all around with unbelievably kickass fight scenes to go with them, and some of the small tiny scraps of backstory given to them in various sourcebooks I almost wish had somehow made their way into the movies (specifically the ones for Tullece's men).

I got nothing at all against Babidi's minions generally (Yakon has a fun gimmick, Spopovitch is downright creepy, and Pui Pui's fight with Vegeta is one of the best one-sided ass whippings in the whole series), but really Dabura's the only true standout among them. He's utterly fantastic though, one of the series' best for sure with a killer design and unforgettable set of fighting techniques.

Red Ribbon's I'm not as fond of overall: Tao Pai Pai aside (and he barely counts since he's not even an actual member of the army: just a 3rd party hired contract) the only true standouts for me are Blue and Murasaki (who are both just outstanding classic DB villains, don't get me wrong). The various Artificial Humans certainly pick up the slack though, and there's few of them I'm not at least somewhat partial to. White and Silver are kinda bland though, and Yellow and Violet are basically complete nothings. Metallic and Buyon are decent enough though, but still not my favorites.

Tao Pai Pai of course deserves special mention all by himself though: I'd probably place him at the very top, well above even the Ginyu Tokusentai. Probably the best design, fighting style, and personality of the whole lot by far and away, and of course he's DB's TRUE first ever "serious" villain, and still one of its best.

Generally speaking though, Dragon Ball does pretty damn great with minor villains and henchmen characters: even the lesser ones are still at least fun from a visual standpoint and bring SOMETHING cool to the table, however small.
It's sad too since later dragon ball main villains don't have minions theses days I mean the video games gave us the dark empire but in the main continuity like super the villains don't have iconic henchman to live up and really the antagonists of super are Beerus,Frieza,hit,Zamasu,and Jiren but the only real villains are Frieza and Zamasu while the other three are simply neutral,the former had new henchmen sorbet and Tagoma. Now the ending of super shows that only Frieza has more henchmen and hoping that he would at least get some more iconic henchmen along with the new villains to live up to the previous ones.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Koitsukai wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Appule?!? You put APPULE at the top of your favourite minions list?! Appule couldn't even hold a number 8 spot, much less number 1!
Actually it is a quote from TFS, YOU LEFT APPULE IN CHARGE OF VEGETA? APPPUUULEE???!!!

To me, nothing beats (aside from Goku) Ginyu tokusentai and Cooler Kikosentai. Salza and Burter, to be precise

Haven't you guys heard that Appule's Mike aka VegettoEX's favorite minion? That's been a known fact for over a decade. Hahahaha.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun May 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Tambourine was a really cool minion that really drove Goku's saiyan instincts for life or death combat to new heights. Goku seriously had bloodlust for killing that guy. The battle where he kills him is really awesome. All of Piccolo Daimao's offspring are really cool in their own ways. Piano loyal and strategic, a right hand man. Drum, a warrior type born directly for the desire to watch martial artists suffer trying to stop Piccolo, was a really cool design. Then there is my personal favorite, Cymbal, who did not last long at all. He was born with the purpose and instruction to track down the Dragonballs. He had some cool moves, and he actually looked dragon inspired. It is too bad Yajerobi killed him so quickly, as he was a really neat character in my opinion.

Freeza's force was comprised of all sorts of races, and the Anime showcased a larger variety of them in filler cutscenes. The Ginyu force was of course unique and wacky, but extremely powerful for the time. There was a scene in the original Z anime during Goku and Freeza's battle where a group of them were scanning the battle from one of the Freeza planets, and their large scouter computer blew up, with the henchmen discussing what must be happening on Namek. I always liked that scene. The Garlic Junior Saga in the anime has quite a few side scenes of Vegeta traveling to worlds inhabited by soldiers still loyal to Freeza, and him eradicating many of them. Those are, in my opinion, the coolest part of that filler arc. The anime did a great job of utilizing those guys for various purposes where they could be used for narrative means, or to hint at just how far reaching the empire had been.

The Dead Zone and World's Strongest films had some really interesting henchmen characters. The guys in the Dead Zone powered up into bulky forms and gave our heroes a decent fight, and that yellow Blob in World's Strongest was probably one of the coolest and unique movie henchmen. I still love when Goku uses the Kaioken to puncture a hole through him.

This is a neat topic idea. Cymbal was probably my favorite henchman, he had some interesting potential, but got killed before he had a chance to do much. I like that he and some others, (That orange Gargoyle looking guy that Piccolo kills in Lord Slug comes to mind), are there to show how powerful some of the secondary characters have become. They are more generic when they are strong enough to beat all the Z fighters, and only Goku can beat them up. Tree of Might, I'm looking at you. Would have been more interesting if Krillin, Tenshinhan or Piccolo had killed a couple of them before Goku had to get involved. As a result, Turles's band of fighters were not very memorable for me.

Who else has uncommon favorites they want to comment on?
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun May 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 pm

I always liked Piano. I just loved that Piccolo basically had a secretary, and that he was just a small smartass that had no real power of his own, but nobody ever fucked with him.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"