What is your favorite gi for Son Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is your favorite gi for Son Goku?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 29, 2018 5:15 pm

What are people thoughts on Saiyan armour Goku then? I remember being disappointed that he switched back for the Cell games thought it looked cool on him.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue May 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What are people thoughts on Saiyan armour Goku then? I remember being disappointed that he switched back for the Cell games thought it looked cool on him.
It was a nice touch to see him wearing it for training but i wouldn't want him to keep it for Cell games.
He prefers Gi in fights anyway.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed May 30, 2018 11:38 am

Its probably still the EOZ gi because he wears blue just like in the beginning of the series, plus I like the no undershirt and the shorter shoes/boots. It also looks awesome with both UI forms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=son+gok ... azx-pJxVeM:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 pm

I find that gi he wears at the end of Z to be rather blah. His gi in GT is borderline.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Prefer his organge gi

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 30, 2018 6:15 pm

GT is my all time favorite gi for Goku. It has so many colors that are completely different from each other (Blue, Yellow, White, Black, Pink) but somehow it all just meshes together so nicely. The new Prison Planet arc of DBHeroes with Goku's gi combining his RoF and regular gi designs looks pretty awesome too and is rising up the ladder of my favorite looks of Goku.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 31, 2018 5:09 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What are people thoughts on Saiyan armour Goku then? I remember being disappointed that he switched back for the Cell games thought it looked cool on him.
Personally I loved Goku in that outfit. It would have been nice to see all the Saiyans in the armor, the humans in the gi, and Picolo with his namekian clothes for the Cell Games. It would have fit nicely, with everyone wearing the attire of their own race.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:02 am

Put me down as someone who VERY MUCH wishes that Goku and Vegeta's RoF outfits weren't done away with after two arcs and were kept on for the rest of DB Super. For one just because they looked great and were very good designs in and of themselves, and for two because it would've given DB Super overall just a bit more in the way of a badly needed sense of identity and progression away from late Boo-era DBZ.

And hell, it was also Vegeta's first ever actual/proper martial arts gi (underneath the armor): so short lived.
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Personally I loved Goku in that outfit. It would have been nice to see all the Saiyans in the armor, the humans in the gi, and Picolo with his namekian clothes for the Cell Games. It would have fit nicely, with everyone wearing the attire of their own race.
Racist. :P

Kidding aside, I'm very glad Goku went back to a proper dogi: it was cool to see him don the armor for a brief spell in training, but the dogi simply fits Goku's character much, much better thematically and inherently. Even though he had a cavalier attitude about wearing it in his little exchange with Tenshinhan, the armor still symbolically represents everything about Goku's race/heritage that originally (and rightly) repulsed him and is the antithesis of who and what he is. He's not a murderous space barbarian/thug like his father, brother, Vegeta, or any of the rest of his Saiya-jin forebears; he's a martial artist raised among humans. He has FAR more personal ties to folks like Kuririn and Muten Roshi than he ever has had or will ever have with his home world/race.

Also glad Gohan went to an even MORE Piccolo-ish/Namekian dogi: again, fits his character and his relationship with Piccolo. Plus Gohan rocking the full cape/mantle Piccolo getup in the Cell Games is probably my all time favorite look for him (at least as a kid before the Boo arc).

Vegeta sticking with the armor makes perfect sense for him character-wise (he's still at that point in the story clinging obsessively to the past, to his race and status/title as prince), and Trunks is divorced/detached enough from that whole history behind the armor for it to not really matter as much for him either way: and he's a much more utilitarian/practical kind of character overall, so its also in-keeping with him character-wise in a sense as well to care more about function over form.

Point being, a martial artist wears the colors/symbols/uniform of their martial arts school/master and/or their homeland. Goku's home is MUCH more Earth than it ever was Planet Vegeta (and its Saiya-jin culture which he despises), and Earth is also home to most of his martial arts teachers (Kaio, and later Whis, aside). And Gohan's greatest and most important teacher has always been Piccolo.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu May 31, 2018 9:47 am

I've always favoured his original orange/red gi with the symbols and belt that hangs down, both with and without the weighted clothing that gets added later. The fact that he keeps changing the symbols is also a nice touch to show his progression.

His Android-Buu gi is good too but feels less martial artsy without the symbols and hanging belt if that makes sense.

The gi that he wears for EoZ and the GT variation are both really good looking. Both make him look like the experienced martial arts master that he is at that point.

As for his Pilaf era gi I've always liked the way his belt was tied like a ribbon. Also I just remembered the filler scene in Z where he tries to convince Chi Chi to let Gohan train for the Androids, which actually shows him wearing his Roshi training gi with the white vest as a nice throwback.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:the armor still symbolically represents everything about Goku's race/heritage that originally (and rightly) repulsed him and is the antithesis of who and what he is. He's not a murderous space barbarian/thug like his father, brother, Vegeta, or any of the rest of his Saiya-jin forebears; he's a martial artist raised among humans. He has FAR more personal ties to folks like Kuririn and Muten Roshi than he ever has had or will ever have with his home world/race.
While Super eventually semi-confirmed this idea, the armour isn't just associated with Saiyans, but Frieza's forces overall, so it also makes sense that he wouldn't want to wear it in that regard even if it was originally a Saiyan-only thing.
Kunzait_83 wrote:Also glad Gohan went to an even MORE Piccolo-ish/Namekian dogi: again, fits his character and his relationship with Piccolo. Plus Gohan rocking the full cape/mantle Piccolo getup in the Cell Games is probably my all time favorite look for him (at least as a kid before the Boo arc).
One of my favourite moments from the show is when they're both dressed up for the Cell Games, and Goku looks to Gohan in PIccolo's clothing with pride. It's almost like Goku is approving of Gohan's attachment to Piccolo, and that he's found his own path to victory.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 am

KBABZ wrote:While Super eventually semi-confirmed this idea, the armour isn't just associated with Saiyans, but Frieza's forces overall, so it also makes sense that he wouldn't want to wear it in that regard even if it was originally a Saiyan-only thing.
Oh the old series already long-ago established that it was a general Freeza army uniform right from the early Namek arc when Freeza and his empire are first introduced. I didn't touch on any of that for brevity's sake (plus most of us here already know that). But yes, the Saiya-jin wear that armor because they're one of the many, many, many different alien races within the Freeza empire's employ.

Either way though, Goku obviously rejects the murderous ways of the Saiya-jin and Freeza's army as a whole. So its a distinction without much of a difference really.

Tenshinhan during the Cell arc also shows disgust and contempt at the idea of wearing that armor/uniform due to its association; another one of my favorite little moments from that arc.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 11:17 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:While Super eventually semi-confirmed this idea, the armour isn't just associated with Saiyans, but Frieza's forces overall, so it also makes sense that he wouldn't want to wear it in that regard even if it was originally a Saiyan-only thing.
Oh the old series already long-ago established that it was a general Freeza army uniform right from the early Namek arc when Freeza and his empire are first introduced. I didn't touch on any of that for brevity's sake (plus most of us here already know that). But yes, the Saiya-jin wear that armor because they're one of the many, many, many different alien races within the Freeza empire's employ.
I always figured it wasn't explicitly explained at all anywhere. My personal head-theory was that the armour originated with the Saiyans and Frieza adopted it for his armies after taking the Saiyans in. Which sounds nice, but of course it conflicts with how much Frieza hates the Saiyans, so I don't really follow that anymore.

It makes more sense that it started with Frieza's company instead, which works in a retroactive way since Frieza's weakest form is very evocative of that armour with all the lines down his arms and legs. I don't know if it was intentional or not, that Toriyama used the "repeating line-cuts" aesthetic to associate the armour more strongly with Frieza himself after having already introduced the armour with Raditz long before that, but it'd be awesome if it was! We certainly don't see much like it ever again after Namek outside of the amour Bulma makes herself, and RoF.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 31, 2018 11:40 am

KBABZ wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Also glad Gohan went to an even MORE Piccolo-ish/Namekian dogi: again, fits his character and his relationship with Piccolo. Plus Gohan rocking the full cape/mantle Piccolo getup in the Cell Games is probably my all time favorite look for him (at least as a kid before the Boo arc).
One of my favourite moments from the show is when they're both dressed up for the Cell Games, and Goku looks to Gohan in PIccolo's clothing with pride. It's almost like Goku is approving of Gohan's attachment to Piccolo, and that he's found his own path to victory.

Goku's always been supportive and fond of Gohan and Piccolo's relationship and vice-versa, despite factions of fans going at each others throats over who is 'best dad'. If you think about, there's a parallel there - Goku went back to his teacher's uniform, right? Well, so does Gohan.

As for Piccolo not wanting to wear the armor - I believe the original says that he doesn't want to wear the uniform of Freeza's army. Can't remember if he says anything about saiyans.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu May 31, 2018 11:56 am

^^Yeah I was super disappointed they gave Gohan the orange gi in the Super anime

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 12:11 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:^^Yeah I was super disappointed they gave Gohan the orange gi in the Super anime
I know right?? Gohan has no connection to that outfit, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to pick his dad's gi, even in the Buu arc.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 31, 2018 12:40 pm

KBABZ wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:^^Yeah I was super disappointed they gave Gohan the orange gi in the Super anime
I know right?? Gohan has no connection to that outfit, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to pick his dad's gi, even in the Buu arc.

Eeehh, it has somewhat of a sentimental meaning in the Buu arc. At that point Gohan thought he'd never see his father again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 31, 2018 12:58 pm

KBABZ wrote:
It is the suit his father wears. Even if he never wore it before, that would be enough.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 31, 2018 1:42 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Yeah, no connections... It's not like it's his father's...
Get Fucked, C_unt

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu May 31, 2018 1:49 pm

I don't mind either outfit for Gohan, but honestly I wish he'd go back to his gi from the Broly: Second Coming movie/early Buu Saga. It gave him a look all his own instead of just riding his dad(s) looks. He does it out of respect for them, but as an adult, he should branch out and be his own man.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu May 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yeah, no connections... It's not like it's his father's...
For sure but he allegedly has more connection with Piccolo lol
Plus it looks wicked awesome I'm glad Toto went with it

It did make sense in the Buu arc but in Super it's visually redundant in mirror of Goku IMO lol