What’s the general consensus on James Marsters’ Zamasu?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: What’s the general consensus on James Marsters’ Zamasu?

Post by Simere » Thu May 31, 2018 8:41 am

I think he does a terrible job, but I like James Marsters and want others to think he's good, so this is the first and last time I'll be saying that.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Simere wrote:I think he does a terrible job, but I like James Marsters and want others to think he's good, so this is the first and last time I'll be saying that.
Wat?
Get Fucked, C_unt

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Fused Zamasu was especially fantastic in this scene! It was such an intimidating and stressed voice, particularly when he said 'You will never best me you filthy mortal!'. It was superb, you could feel the madness of Zamasu in his voice as well as his massive ego being shattered to pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbB9ANZFntw

Just look at the comments under the video I linked, many top ones are comments that praise Zamasu and the dub... Yes, Marsters did an amazing job. Compare him to when he voiced Future Zamasu in Xenoverse 2 for Dlc Pack #3, he has improved so much! Even if you personally dislike Zamasu's voice in the dub, you cannot deny that Marsters has put a lot of passion and effort into voicing this complex villain who played a pivotal role in Super.

I cannot wait for the next episode!

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Playing with Zamasu in FighterZ, he's made me so proud.

Comparing both ENG and JPN, he actually sounds a lot better than Miki's portrayal in this game, where he sounds like Asta from Black Clover at times when he's yelling, which is a no no.

Just hearing his line "Taste my divine wrath!" is so good... https://youtu.be/2sNK7GWBiI8 (at 0:47, sorry I don't have the specific voice line on hand on my computer, had to find it on YouTube)

I hope for further games and anything else related to Dragon Ball, he keeps voicing him, as he's become one of the best performances in the dub.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 pm

After watching some scenes, I've come to the conclusion that casting him was a mistake.

He's just too good for this cast. Echoing the sentiments of some of the others here, he sounds like a legitimate professional working with amateurs. Unfortunately, it just puts way too much focus on the shitty main cast. Schemmel peaked in 2008 or so; he should have been honorably discharged when the new movies started happening, and it shows in the scene posted above. Marsters is fantastic, but he's dragged down by the sub-par group around him.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Well, he is no Zamasu-sama. But he is a good Zamasoooo I guess. He definitely has his moments. Miki-san though IS Zamasu.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:34 am

I find it interesting that several people have mentioned that James Marsters seems like he's on another Tier from the rest of the other voice actors because in the countless dubbed anime that I've watched, that's something that I've only noticed once.

I was watching Naruto Shippuden and then they introduced the character Pain and the more I heard him, the more I thought that he didn't like your usual run of the mill anime voice actor, he seemed way too good for anime work.

Well that voice actor was Troy Baker and the following year he won awards for voicing main characters in Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham Origins and The Last of Us. Now he's left anime behind completely, they actually replaced him for Naruto with Matthew Mercer. He's the most sought after voice actor for games now, Infamous Second Son, Shadow of Mordor, COD Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Batman Telltale, Metal Gear Solid 5, Uncharted 4, God of War etc. He's in everything now.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Bullza wrote:I find it interesting that several people have mentioned that James Marsters seems like he's on another Tier from the rest of the other voice actors because in the countless dubbed anime that I've watched, that's something that I've only noticed once.

I was watching Naruto Shippuden and then they introduced the character Pain and the more I heard him, the more I thought that he didn't like your usual run of the mill anime voice actor, he seemed way too good for anime work.

Well that voice actor was Troy Baker and the following year he won awards for voicing main characters in Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham Origins and The Last of Us. Now he's left anime behind completely, they actually replaced him for Naruto with Matthew Mercer. He's the most sought after voice actor for games now, Infamous Second Son, Shadow of Mordor, COD Advanced Warfare, Far Cry 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Batman Telltale, Metal Gear Solid 5, Uncharted 4, God of War etc. He's in everything now.
Troy Baker is a talented voice actor, although I can’t say I’m a fan of his Joker voice. It just sounds like a really forced imitation of Mark Hamill’s Joker.

Speaking of Mark Hamill, it would’ve been insane if he voiced a character in Dragon Ball. Unfortunately, there’s pretty much no chance of that happening.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:07 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:After watching some scenes, I've come to the conclusion that casting him was a mistake.

He's just too good for this cast. Echoing the sentiments of some of the others here, he sounds like a legitimate professional working with amateurs. Unfortunately, it just puts way too much focus on the shitty main cast. Schemmel peaked in 2008 or so; he should have been honorably discharged when the new movies started happening, and it shows in the scene posted above. Marsters is fantastic, but he's dragged down by the sub-par group around him.
Ouch!

I'm not a big fan of any of Marsters' work, but you do have a point. There's a very clear difference in skill between him and the dub actors. Similar to what happens when a TV actor tries to go into movies and it doesn't work out. Suddenly even mediocre actors who you never paid much mind look like geniuses of the craft when you see the disparity.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Along with Jason Douglas and Dameon Clarke, I think he is in the highest tier of VAs the dub has ever had. These 3 stand far above the rest that it's actually pretty jarring at times. For example I was watching the scene where Zamasu gets Mafuba'd...and going from Marsters' chilling screams and genuinely terrifying performance to hearing Colleen and Vale's grating narration almost felt like a parody.

The final test for Marsters in order for me to cement him as the all time great Dragon Ball dub VA will be how he can handle the infamous "SON GOKUUUUUU" line.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Big Boss wrote:Along with Jason Douglas and Dameon Clarke, I think he is in the highest tier of VAs the dub has ever had. These 3 stand far above the rest that it's actually pretty jarring at times. For example I was watching the scene where Zamasu gets Mafuba'd...and going from Marsters' chilling screams and genuinely terrifying performance to hearing Colleen and Vale's grating narration almost felt like a parody.

The final test for Marsters in order for me to cement him as the all time great Dragon Ball dub VA will be how he can handle the infamous "SON GOKUUUUUU" line.
Out of curiosity, where does Chris Ayres rank, in your opinion?

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Big Boss wrote:Along with Jason Douglas and Dameon Clarke, I think he is in the highest tier of VAs the dub has ever had. These 3 stand far above the rest that it's actually pretty jarring at times. For example I was watching the scene where Zamasu gets Mafuba'd...and going from Marsters' chilling screams and genuinely terrifying performance to hearing Colleen and Vale's grating narration almost felt like a parody.

Out of curiosity, where does Chris Ayres rank, in your opinion?
Ayres is great also, definitely another stand out for me.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:18 am

Yup, Marsters is going to go down in history. Was confident all along, he would deliver and wow did he!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Marsters does a fantastic job as Zamasu. Not sure that there's a real disparity. His performance sounds only slightly above the usual tier. In fact, when I first heard him, it just sounded like someone from the Funimation talent pool to me. It's only after realizing who he is that I hear even a slight disparity.

Though personally, there was a missed opportunity for casting. Miki voices a character from another big franchise (you know, the one about catching animals and making them fight). This character was voiced by Eric Stuart in English. Now, he's never worked with Funimation before, but it would've been interesting to hear his take. I dunno, just me thinking out loud.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Like I said many times, I don't really watch the Funi dub of Super, but after watching a clip from episode 66, I can say that he sounds a lot better than before.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 pm

He had a better script to work with than Eric Vale who was terrible this time around. Man, when the Mafuba was used on Zamasu his screaming was epic!

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I didn't like it at first, I was like "eew, it doesn't fit his face at all" but then he just grew on me. I like both version now, the english version sounds more like a businessman or an angry professor and the jap version sounds more relaxing/calm. I also really love the french version it sounds so attractive, soft and calm https://youtu.be/tSvTUEQAZs0?t=148
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu