DB Endings

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: DB Endings

Post by sintzu » Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Well there are the video games though and they probably make heroes a fully fledged anime.
I agree, a full heroes anime is the most likely thing we'll get once Toriyama's done (he's not done and they're already trying it out). I'd rather them take a 5-10 year break from the anime and main content to let fans take in what we're getting now and to give themselves time to plan things out but that's an unrealistic expectation in this day and age.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 pm

Toxin45 wrote:Stuff and things
Well we still have the movie coming up and also Frieza changing his evil ways is kinda jumping the shark material and also he is on the complete monster page of dragon ball. Don't compare it to Star Wars just don't. We are still awaiting the movie so just chill out already plus more video games to come.[/quote]
It's usually not a good idea to just quote the entirety of a Kunzait post unedited. It clogs up the board with stuff we've already read!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 pm

Forte224 wrote:I'm in this weird place where Super and DB/DBZ are 2 completely separate entities to me.
That's because they are as when and how they came to be is completely different. DB/Z was written by one man to tell a story while Super is made by multiple people to sell merchandise. DB/Z was written in the 80's/90s era while Super is written in the current era, 23 years later. The kind of tech that's used in both is completely different and so is the standards of what's allowed in its genre and what people expect from it. They can market Super as a continuation all they want but there's no getting around the fact that they're completely different products, despite sharing the DB name. This is why I have no issue with new DB content, because that original story is a done deal and has been done for 23 years now so no matter what they do, good or bad, it won't change what those 520 chapters/444 episodes are. If we get good content then that's more to enjoy and if not then nothing's lost.

There are bad sides to things like DB going on forever as we could be getting something completely new instead, something that can be just as good as DB was. The new generation of viewers won't know what the original DB/Z is as they won't want to watch something "old" looking when they have new "modern" looking shows to watch.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:09 am

I'm not inherently against these revivals, but given the overwhelming number of disappointments, I'm skeptical, and wish stories that got a satisfying ending would stay finished. I can count the number of revivals I've enjoyed on one hand.

One very low key episode that could've been an odd but satisfying conclusion was the party episode at the end of Z.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 am

Well, I like the endings for DB, Z and Super. And like I said many times before, I'm not a fan of GT's ending for being schmaltzy and melodramatic.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:16 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, I like the endings for DB, Z and Super. And like I said many times before, I'm not a fan of GT's ending for being schmaltzy and melodramatic.
For Dragon Ball or in general?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:41 am

Toxin45 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: Yet super's plotline was written by Toriyama.
I dont care. All I consider canon is the original manga/anime. Everything else is supplementary.
nah
Great response.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:54 am

KBABZ wrote:I've always felt that, while Frieza obviously ISN'T the end of the series, it really felt like it could be. Goku had achieved Super Saiyan, avenged the Saiyan race, and died a warrior, rounding out the "Goku discovers he's a Saiyan" thing introduced with Raditz's reveal of who he truly is and explaining why Goku is so freakishly strong.. As well, the way he defeated Frieza (intentionally or not) harkened back to Roshi's lessons as Jackie Chun about always improving ones self, and how Frieza not bothering with that led to his downfall. You also had a set of "super" Dragon Balls and we ventured into space for the first time.
The problem I've always had with Freeza being the ending, with Goku dying and all, is that it would feel odd that Goku had literally just died in the beginning of the previous arc, which was a huge impactful moment, but he came back, and now he dies again so soon and we are not only supposed to feel the same impact again, but it's also apparently permanent this time.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 am

PremiumSalt wrote:The problem I've always had with Freeza being the ending, with Goku dying and all, is that it would feel odd that Goku had literally just died in the beginning of the previous arc, which was a huge impactful moment, but he came back, and now he dies again so soon and we are not only supposed to feel the same impact again, but it's also apparently permanent this time.
I think Goku dying so swiftly in battle against Raditz is a tip of the hat that this isn't meant to be a wholly dramatic death, and Piccolo explains that he'll be back thanks to the Dragon Balls very soon after his death. For that part of the story, death for Goku is a ticket to someone who can train him up to fight against the oncoming Saiyans. Goku dying is for sure a bummer, but it isn't played with anywhere near the gravitas that it is with Frieza (as for Cell, well, he teleported himself to heaven to do that!). For the Frieza death, the story goes out of its way to explain how the Dragon Balls cannot save Goku in this instance (at least until Vegeta gives a possible way for it to work), and him being alive is meant to be a surprise to the viewer.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:05 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, I like the endings for DB, Z and Super. And like I said many times before, I'm not a fan of GT's ending for being schmaltzy and melodramatic.
For Dragon Ball.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
For Dragon Ball.
I think it works fine even for DB. It doesn't do them often, which is when the do occur, they work.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 am

PremiumSalt wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I've always felt that, while Frieza obviously ISN'T the end of the series, it really felt like it could be. Goku had achieved Super Saiyan, avenged the Saiyan race, and died a warrior, rounding out the "Goku discovers he's a Saiyan" thing introduced with Raditz's reveal of who he truly is and explaining why Goku is so freakishly strong.. As well, the way he defeated Frieza (intentionally or not) harkened back to Roshi's lessons as Jackie Chun about always improving ones self, and how Frieza not bothering with that led to his downfall. You also had a set of "super" Dragon Balls and we ventured into space for the first time.
The problem I've always had with Freeza being the ending, with Goku dying and all, is that it would feel odd that Goku had literally just died in the beginning of the previous arc, which was a huge impactful moment, but he came back, and now he dies again so soon and we are not only supposed to feel the same impact again, but it's also apparently permanent this time.
Why would it even be permanent? The Namekian Dragon Balls had already been established as being able to revive people multiple times much earlier, so you'd have to come up with some serious BS to keep him dead.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.