Yamamuro or Shintani?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akuma Johnson

Yamamuro or Shintani?

Post by Akuma Johnson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:44 am

Here are the designs:

Yamamuro (Goku)

Shintani (Goku)

You could clearly see the loosened posture and the relaxed hand in Shintani's design. It's a pretty neat detail and serves as a key factor on how great the animation in the movie would be. Toriyama personally chose him through an audition phase and people can't be more happier.

The problem in Yamamuro's design is the stiffness. Goku is a person who's full of confidence and yet the design doesn't seem to reflect that. He always has that grim disposition on his face which was a recurring trait appearing on his past designs. And the highlights are no exception.

Please let me know what your thoughts and opinions on this. Thank you.
Dragon Ball sucks lmao
Discord username (with tag) - Razius#2781

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Yamamuro or Shintani?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 am

In his prime? Yamamuro. Now? Shintani

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 am

I made this the other day which might help:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I mean, it's me, I think it pretty much goes without saying that I find Shintani to be significantly... worlds away better.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:30 am

I'd say Yamamuro's prime (Z Android & Boo era) blows Shintani away

That's not sayin much as even during those era, Shimanuki Mashishiro, Hizada Kazuya,Tate, Masunaga Keisugi (Studio Cockpit), Naoki Miyahara would make Yamamuro's work lookin like child's play

Even latest Yamamuro's design isnt "grim" per se. More like battle-hardened, edgy & wannabe badassery vibe being expressed in such posture

Even as of now, I wouldnt consider either Yamamuro or Shintani to be good

At least former has soft corner in my heart as one who revolutionized DBZ from "cartoony" show into realistic martial-artistic appeal. Latter still has long way to go as far as artistry & aesthetic value is concerned

Akuma Johnson

Post by Akuma Johnson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:37 am

Ajay wrote:I made this the other day which might help:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I mean, it's me, I think it pretty much goes without saying that I find Shintani to be significantly... worlds away better.
That gif is miles better than what I posted. Thanks a lot.
Dragon Ball sucks lmao
Discord username (with tag) - Razius#2781

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:49 am

Shintani has the edge but I'd like to see a real trailer before fully going with him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Ajay wrote:I made this the other day which might help:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What I just noticed about the Yamamuro design - I don't think the bicep is supposed to look like that when your arm his hanging at your side. Really stands out now because of the comparison.

And I agree, I'd first like to see a trailer or something before I judge. For now I'm really happy with Shintani's design.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 pm

I like Shintanti because it feels a lot more fluid even when standing still. Goku looks much more like he did in the 23rd TB, which is good because THAT one looked a lot like Kid Goku. So by having them similar, I an see the Kid Goku that I know and love within the adult one, making me believe that they're the same character.

Yamamuro's looks stiff and blocky, almost like he's using the designs for the first DBZ PS2 game as his reference material. I also prefer the way Shintani draws the armbands, having cosplayed as a Turtle School student myself and worn wristbands for the part. Yamamuro's look like they're just pieces of fabric with plastic rings on the edges.

I'm not a fan of how low the cut of the collar is on the overshirt, though.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:47 pm

BoG era Yamamuro was pretty atrocious, but to be fair, he's gotten a lot better since then.

Back on topic, I'd say for base Goku, Shintani is better.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Yamamuro in his earlier days like in the movies and Buu Saga are a lot better than Shintani. Although it's really just a matter of comparing years of material to a 30 second teaser and character art, being completely unfair lol

I'm gonna wait and see how it looks later on with other trailers to see completely.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 am

My vote goes to Shintani, without a doubt at all.
I will post some comparisions:

Goku: [spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Vegeta: [spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Piccolo: [spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Also, here's the link with some of the designs from Yamamuro for the beginning of Super:
http://www.otakutale.com/2015/first-dra ... -revealed/

And here are some designs from Shintani for the movie:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DekSaxoUEAAxs2_.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DekSaxmU8AARI-p.jpg

Shintani's designs are not only perfectly anatomically accurate, unlike Yamamuro's, but they are also very simple and loose/releaxed, with minimalistic shading and have very nice colors. They also resemble a lot the manga Namek era art style with a mix of Toriyama's modern style.
I love them because they are a perfect representation of Toriyama's art style, which is something that was missing with Yamamuro's characters, especially in his later works post-Buu arc where designs got more and more different from Toriyama's own style, apart from the new characters where Yamamuro basically traced Toriyama's designs.
As I said already many times, I'm not a fan of Yamamuro's designs post-2010 at all. They look stiff, as if the characters were toys and the highlights don't help it. They also have some bad anatomy and especially bad posture.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:57 pm

sintzu wrote:Shintani has the edge but I'd like to see a real trailer before fully going with him.
I'm in the same boat as you.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Yamamuro's contemporary art is just really gross looking to me. So, it'd be difficult for me to prefer him regardless of who is put against him. That said, I do like Shintani's take, even outside of just "being an improvement on Yamamuro".

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Yamamuro.

As the above design shows, Yamamuro's work was great in the Z era. IMO around the 2000s he started to put too much detail and weight on his designs, which weighed them down and make them feel stiff.

Shintani has a flexible, loose vibe that has more energy. But to be fair he's just started and there's a freshness and newness to his design. Who knows if he'll still have it after some years?

And shouldn't Minoru Maeda be discussed? Can we ask that he return to DB?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm

After seeing those shots, I think Shintani has the best art model. I’m just a bit worried about how it will look in motion.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Young Jijii :mrgreen:

Shintani sounds really cool a mix between Maeda and Nakatsuru.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 am

Another comparison image.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yeah, Shintani is definitely leagues better than Yamamuro as a character designer.

I think a huge problem if the Yamamuro designs in the more recent years, is how clunky, mechanical looking, and generally unnatural they look.

In contrast, I think Shintani does a fantastic job bringing the effortlessly natural look to the characters that were so lacking in Yamamuro's more recent takes on the characters.

I think the Shintani designs are fantastic not only because they look fantastic, but they do so without really being overtly detailed in terms of complex line work.

They are definitely the animator friendly designs that the series has needed for nearly a decade.

Really can't wait to see how they're handled on the big screen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 am

I think Vegeta's head is the bigger sign here. On Yamamuro the head and hair feel short and stout, almost like he doesn't really want to draw it the full length and making it stubbier means a bit less work. Same with Goku's hair, on Yama's I really feel the individual pieces that make up the spikes (the shading doesn't really help, it's like it's a PS2 model) while with Shintani's it feels more flowing and natural.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:22 am

just found this thread now, I came here so late but here's my opinion, for me Shintani just wins easily, I got so much suprised in that teaser with the art style, I love how Ryo Onishi made it looks like even Fighter Z in that first teaser, but with less 3D a bit, i just loved his Goku's design, is very similar to Maeda's skinny Goku from the Majunior/23rd Tournament Saga, with a bit of Nakatsuru's design, I'm so glad Vegeta's real look is finally back, I missed a lot his big forehead, and specially his large astern spiked hair, also his real body structure, he's finally skinny again, now Piccolo is definitely my favorite from the new design, my gosh thank you Shintani, for me Yamamuro's Piccolo is just horrendous, I just hate how always looks like that Yamamuro's Piccolo is awfully drawned, those poor drawned eyebrowns, little ears, that large chin, always annoyed me, I'm so glad they finally changed it, for me would be perfect if they had back to Piccolo's Majunior original first design from the 23rd Tournament saga, yeah that skinny Piccolo with those giant eyes, ears, he was my favorite, but I'm happy with Shintani's Piccolo! I love other things too, I'm so happy that the exaggerated details, highlights and pitched/strong colors had finally gone, the Yamamuro's style starting from 2000's, for me got a fall, at least the Budokai 2 & 3 openings were gorgeous, I think his fall was when the Gaiden Remake came out, which he started to use the designs from that OVA often, seriously for me his design until the ending of Black Arc was atrocious, I hate how every character with muscles needs to have large necks in the sides, his Vegeta is just ugly, and why every character needs to be so square? if you didn't understand, look at Yamamuro's heads, they are so perfect squary! is so awful, when his style was beginned to be used often, who didn't missed Minoru Maeda's classic oval curves in the characters faces/heads?? for me Yamamuro should have kept his 2008 OVA designs for BoG, RoF and Super, his design in that OVA for me is his best, is a mix of himself with Toriyama, that design don't have the boring exaggerated details, highlights, pitched/strong colors, the characters still are pretty square, but the squares were decreased and now is way better, so bad that design was exclusive, I think Yamamuro's design at least was increased in the ToP, his work in the previous sagas is just horrendous, for me specially in Black saga, but if you look in ToP, it even looks like Buu Saga, but still needed improviments, Yamamuro's design for Buu saga was definitely my favorite, just perfection, the SSJ's hair is now a real golden color, specially in the movies.

my ratings:
Shintani - 9.0 :clap:
Yamamuro (2000-2016) - 5.0 :problem:
Yamamuro (2017-Now) - 7.0 :)
Yamamuro (1993-1996) - 10 :o
Yamamuro (2008) - 8.5 :thumbup:
Minoru Maeda - 9.5 :D
Nakatsuru - 9.0 :clap:
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:31 am

The way Shintani's clothing hangs off of characters gives off such a 'detailed' feel to his character models. I'm looking at how the dougi top sits on Gokuu's shoulders and there's such a sense of "the dougi's about to slip off!" to Shintani's design in comparison to how rigidly the clothing sits on Yamamuro's Gokuu that I just can't believe it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf