Man of Steels fight scenes were inspired by DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Man of Steels fight scenes were inspired by DBZ

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:13 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Image
(Don't make me start breaking out the gifs again)
1: Aren't all the gifs in that thread broken? Whenever I view the thread, they never show up.
2: I could have sworn that shooting energy balls and flying around is more xianxia than wuxia. Wuxia is more "Dragon Ball episodes 1-30" and once energy attacks/ki control and demons and transformations start becoming more common, it becomes xianxia.
Like, if wuxia is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" or "The Mark of Zorro", xianxia is "Jonah Hex" or "Cowboys & Aliens".
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:43 am

Yuli Ban wrote:
1: Aren't all the gifs in that thread broken? Whenever I view the thread, they never show up.
2: I could have sworn that shooting energy balls and flying around is more xianxia than wuxia. Wuxia is more "Dragon Ball episodes 1-30" and once energy attacks/ki control and demons and transformations start becoming more common, it becomes xianxia.
Like, if wuxia is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" or "The Mark of Zorro", xianxia is "Jonah Hex" or "Cowboys & Aliens".
1) Yeah, most of those gifs are unfortunately broken. At some point or other, I was going to post a revised "2.0" version of the Wuxia thread with expanded upon content and a few new subsections about various related topics along with actual working links; but that's still in the works until who knows when.

2) Xianxia, to the best of my knowledge at least, is a term that's come more into prominence in much more recent years. Wuxia has generally been the catch-all term for Chinese fantasy martial arts stories (of a broad variety, including ones that today would be labeled as more Xianxia) since at least the mid-ish 1800s or so. I'm not 100% on how exactly far back the term Xianxia dates, but I know its much more recent than that, and its prominence in use within contemporary fandom is still pretty new-ish.

If we go by that distinction though, then yes, latter DB and DBZ/GT/Super are much more within the Xianxia realm, while earlier DB is more closer to straight Wuxia (though even then, we had the Kamehameha, the Kintoun, and various supernatural creatures in the mix right from almost moment one). And "classical" Wuxia is not without its fair share of outlandish displays of Ki control and paranormal entities as well.

Ultimately though, they're two sub-categories within the same general umbrella, and stories/myths that fit within both subheadings go back many centuries before either term was invented to describe them. The distinction between them can still be somewhat hazy at times (Jin Yong/Louis Cha's work, for example, is generally still described as Wuxia, even though much of its content is as over the top as anything found in stuff that's more classified as Xianxia), which is partly why I didn't delve into it the first go-round.

I'm probably going to go into this very topic though within the revised/expanded Wuxia thread (whenever the hell I get done with that: real life's gotten a lot more hectically busy on my end since I originally cooked up the first one). Initially creating that thread from the ground-up in the first place was a colossal undertaking in itself: with most of the heavy lifting already done now, its a lot simpler for me to flesh out certain areas more and add/tweak things around the edges as I see fit, and elaborate on certain things I didn't get the chance to the first time around.

Oh and by the way, I meant to respond to a couple of them in other threads awhile back, but just want to quickly point out that your posts here are awesome and some of my new favorites. :thumbup:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:17 am

Imagine we get a Dragon Ball Influenced Justice League cartoon thanks to this. Even with Chris Sabat as General Zod.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Superman vs General Zod definitely felt like a typical fight from Z, so I'm glad that it was actually confirmed by the storyboard artist from the film that he was influenced by it.

It's funny, cause that Dragon Ball Z 4D short film that came out a couple of years ago had shots that looked like they were ripped straight out of Man of Steel.
How about that character Nam-Ek? Does the name ring a bell to a certain home planet.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:18 am

EnergizerConvoy wrote:Imagine we get a Dragon Ball Influenced Justice League cartoon thanks to this. Even with Chris Sabat as General Zod.
It'll never happen.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 am

EnergizerConvoy wrote:How about that character Nam-Ek? Does the name ring a bell to a certain home planet.
He's actually been around since the 70's.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Nam-Ek_(Earth-One)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:54 am

Bullza wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote:How about that character Nam-Ek? Does the name ring a bell to a certain home planet.
He's actually been around since the 70's.

To further add, Namek is a pun on the Japanese word "namekuji" or "slug". Aside from the Daimao line, all Namekians have a snail or slug name/name pun.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 am

KBABZ wrote:He's actually been around since the 70's.

Yeah that's what I mean. The tall Kryptonian that MOS had.
Bullza wrote:To further add, Namek is a pun on the Japanese word "namekuji" or "slug". Aside from the Daimao line, all Namekians have a snail or slug name/name pun.
And Namekians doesn't even have a Penis.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:59 am

And yet the Superman movie couldn't take a page from DBZ and take the fight out of the damned city.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:26 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote:And yet the Superman movie couldn't take a page from DBZ and take the fight out of the damned city.
Zod's goal was to murder people, he's trying to keep it in the city, unlike DB where the bad guy will go along with the hero's choice to take the fight elsewhere. Besides, DB has had fights in populated areas. My issue isn't with the fight in the city per say, it's Superman either taking fights to populated areas or the movie doesn't convey him TRYING to take the fight elsewhere.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:26 pm

ABED wrote:
KinguKurimuzon wrote:And yet the Superman movie couldn't take a page from DBZ and take the fight out of the damned city.
Zod's goal was to murder people, he's trying to keep it in the city, unlike DB where the bad guy will go along with the hero's choice to take the fight elsewhere. Besides, DB has had fights in populated areas. My issue isn't with the fight in the city per say, it's Superman either taking fights to populated areas or the movie doesn't convey him TRYING to take the fight elsewhere.
That always bothered me about DB that villains were so easily swayed like that.

Also Superman literally took the fight in space doesn't get much less populated then that.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:

Also Superman literally took the fight in space doesn't get much less populated then that.
Cell and buu also wanted to have fun,so they went along.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 am

Cell and buu also wanted to have fun,so they went along.
When did Buu go along with it?

At least Cell has Goku's competitive streak, so that explains why he would go along with it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am

ABED wrote:When did Buu go along with it?

At least Cell has Goku's competitive streak, so that explains why he would go along with it.
Boo when he'd absorbed Piccolo, Gotenks, and later Gohan, ended up basically becoming more or less a similar kind of "evil martial artist out to challenge himself" type of villain as with Cell, as he'd taken in the personality traits of all three (technically four) warriors. Even Super Boo was more or less BARELY held in check by the promise of an interesting challenge to his power during the whole Room of Spirit and Time fight with Gotenks.

The point is made later on (forget by whom: might've been Old Kaioshin maybe?) that having SOME vestige of intelligence was the main thing reigning Boo in from just wiping out all of existence right then and there and keeping him playing around for the fun and sport of it. Its only once he's distilled down to his "purest" form as Kid Boo that he then becomes a raw force of nature/rampaging mindless monster that's only out to erase everything. And even THEN, Goku and Vegeta are able to draw his attention over to the Kaioshin realm by the sheer, overwhelming force of their Ki, attracting Boo to them by playing on a kind of "sniff out the biggest, strongest threat to your dominance" type of raw, animalistic, primal instinct in the creature.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
ABED wrote:When did Buu go along with it?

Boo when he'd absorbed Piccolo, Gotenks, and later Gohan, ended up basically becoming more or less a similar kind of "evil martial artist out to challenge himself" type of villain as with Cell, as he'd taken in the personality traits of all three (technically four) warriors. Even Super Boo was more or less BARELY held in check by the promise of an interesting challenge to his power during the whole Room of Spirit and Time fight with Gotenks.

The point is made later on (forget by whom: might've been Old Kaioshin maybe?) that having SOME vestige of intelligence was the main thing reigning Boo in from just wiping out all of existence right then and there and keeping him playing around for the fun and sport of it. Its only once he's distilled down to his "purest" form as Kid Boo that he then becomes a raw force of nature/rampaging mindless monster that's only out to erase everything. And even THEN, Goku and Vegeta are able to draw his attention over to the Kaioshin realm by the sheer, overwhelming force of their Ki, attracting Boo to them by playing on a kind of "sniff out the biggest, strongest threat to your dominance" type of raw, animalistic, primal instinct in the creature.
Thanks, man. I anticipated some of the examples you gave and was going to disagree but after dwelling on it for a sec, I realized any counter-argument would've been a distinction without a difference.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Yuli Ban wrote:
1) Yeah, most of those gifs are unfortunately broken. At some point or other, I was going to post a revised "2.0" version of the Wuxia thread with expanded upon content and a few new subsections about various related topics along with actual working links; but that's still in the works until who knows when.

2) Xianxia, to the best of my knowledge at least, is a term that's come more into prominence in much more recent years. Wuxia has generally been the catch-all term for Chinese fantasy martial arts stories (of a broad variety, including ones that today would be labeled as more Xianxia) since at least the mid-ish 1800s or so. I'm not 100% on how exactly far back the term Xianxia dates, but I know its much more recent than that, and its prominence in use within contemporary fandom is still pretty new-ish.

If we go by that distinction though, then yes, latter DB and DBZ/GT/Super are much more within the Xianxia realm, while earlier DB is more closer to straight Wuxia (though even then, we had the Kamehameha, the Kintoun, and various supernatural creatures in the mix right from almost moment one). And "classical" Wuxia is not without its fair share of outlandish displays of Ki control and paranormal entities as well.

Ultimately though, they're two sub-categories within the same general umbrella, and stories/myths that fit within both subheadings go back many centuries before either term was invented to describe them. The distinction between them can still be somewhat hazy at times (Jin Yong/Louis Cha's work, for example, is generally still described as Wuxia, even though much of its content is as over the top as anything found in stuff that's more classified as Xianxia), which is partly why I didn't delve into it the first go-round.

I'm probably going to go into this very topic though within the revised/expanded Wuxia thread (whenever the hell I get done with that: real life's gotten a lot more hectically busy on my end since I originally cooked up the first one). Initially creating that thread from the ground-up in the first place was a colossal undertaking in itself: with most of the heavy lifting already done now, its a lot simpler for me to flesh out certain areas more and add/tweak things around the edges as I see fit, and elaborate on certain things I didn't get the chance to the first time around.

Oh and by the way, I meant to respond to a couple of them in other threads awhile back, but just want to quickly point out that your posts here are awesome and some of my new favorites. :thumbup:
1: Hey, thanks!

2: I realized after the fact that xianxia is a bit different than what I was describing. I was thinking of xuanhuan.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:

Actually, I don't recall anyone really going along with it.
When Goku asked to move the fight out of Sasebo, #20 destroyed much of the city instead and only humored him after the fact because he didn't really care where they fought. By that point, most of the inhabitants were dead anyway so it was more to have an unclustered battleground.
Piccolo was able to get the artificial humans away from Kame House mostly by way of promising a better fight on uninhabited islands.
Cell also chose the battleground for the Cell Games.
As for Boo, Goku deliberately tried leading Boo away from the city during the battle itself rather than asking to move the fight beforehand. And the next time they met, well I don't really need to mention what had already happened to the Earth's inhabitants!

The only other instance of Goku trying to keep a fight away from a city was in movie 7. At least, as far as I remember.
In all other situations, the battles either already took place in unpopulated areas or the city was already devastated anyway so there was no point moving the fight.

I think our perception that the Zetto Senshi were able to get villains away from populated areas is mostly just us filling in the blanks of our memories after extrapolating from two major incidents. That's actually a biological quirk of ours, something we can't really help. If something happens once, that could be a fluke, but if it happens twice, that's a pattern you can use to paint events that didn't actually happen.
The Yabanverse

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Where'd you get the idea that most of the city inhabitants were dead?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Yuli Ban wrote:
Speak of the devil: just a few days after this exchange, the image and gif links in the Wuxia thread are now once more, miraculously, all working again! :D :D Apparently Photobucket recently lifted their premium "pay-to-play" barrier on hosted images. So that's very good news for the thread in question.

For anyone who has yet to do so, go check it out and give it a read (now with working images and gifs for much better context).

That said, the revamped 2.0 version of it is still forthcoming... at some point. Eventually.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:36 am

I actually read most of that to get a good idea of the gameplay tenents that should be in the hypothetical open-world Dragon Ball hunt game. Not that that game would ever happen, but it was still fun!

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:30 am

ABED wrote:Where'd you get the idea that most of the city inhabitants were dead?
Mostly context since it was said that #20 had destroyed much of the city.

Unless, of course, it was Sunday :D
The Yabanverse

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:08 am

Yuli Ban wrote:
ABED wrote:Where'd you get the idea that most of the city inhabitants were dead?
Mostly context since it was said that #20 had destroyed much of the city.

Unless, of course, it was Sunday :D
Based on what I saw, He partially destroyed a few buildings, but the city was mostly in tact. It wasn't even close to the damage caused to Metropolis. Goku convinced got him to leave before they did in fact destroy most if not all of the city.