Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is It Time For A Redub? Dragon Ball GT

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:58 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
ABED wrote:So you consider it a bad dub BECAUSE it didn't over explain things? Whatever GT's issues are come from the show itself, not the dub. The confusion about Z comes mostly from the dub.

Vegeta never lost his rationality. He played around. Unlike Goku, he mastered Oozaru years prior. I don't remember the dub dialog, but this doesn't seem like such a huge point of contention even among dub fans because GT isn't that popular.

We'll have to disagree about DBZ's dub music. Both scores are god awful.

And my coup de grace is the god awful acting in DBZ season 3 and 4. GT has the benefit of a larger talent pool and more experienced cast.
In Baby saga, in original version, Old Kai explained that forcing transformation into Oozaru without a tail would make Baby go rampage. The only reason Baby didn't lose control was that he was a parasite but even with that, effects were so strong that he STILL got affected and started going crazy. Old Kai clearly said that.
Bulma said that Vegeta can control Oozaru, but since his transformation was forced there was a chance that he could actually lose control. It isn't clear if he lost it or not, since it looked like he was faking it all the time (even saying that he would NEVER lost control after that) but the point is he had a reason to lose it.

English dub didn't explain anything of that. So yes, it's the issue from dub, not show. It caused a lot of disrespect for GT Vegeta.

Well, i think DBZ dub music is awesome. Even if you don't like it, you can't say it lack variety. Tracks are very unique and fit certain situations (there are slower, more sad themes and more intense ones as well). In GT, all tracks were totally generic and sounded the same with no variety. Also, music plays all the time with few to none exceptions (not sure, thre might be few moments without music). They both totally destroyed openings though.

And yes, GT obviously has better voice acting.
There was music all the time in the Z dub with few to no exceptions
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:39 am

It didn't cause a lot of disrespect for GT Vegeta because few like GT. They don't care enough to make a big deal. I think you are making the reaction to be a bigger deal than it actually was. Whereas, to this day on this very forum, there is still confusion about the nature of Dragon Ball due to the dub. GT was not some outlier.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 pm

ABED wrote:Lastly, the season sets have the original music with the dub as an option, so that's a moo point.
It isn't, because the direction of the dub massively jars against the original music.
sunsetshimmer wrote:
ABED wrote:And my coup de grace is the god awful acting in DBZ season 3 and 4. GT has the benefit of a larger talent pool and more experienced cast.
Better =/= good.
The acting in all of the pre-Kai dubs ranged from terrible to mediocre.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
ABED wrote:Lastly, the season sets have the original music with the dub as an option, so that's a moo point.
It isn't, because the direction of the dub massively jars against the original music.
sunsetshimmer wrote:
ABED wrote:And my coup de grace is the god awful acting in DBZ season 3 and 4. GT has the benefit of a larger talent pool and more experienced cast.
Better =/= good.
The acting in all of the pre-Kai dubs ranged from terrible to mediocre.
The narration is the most jarring thing. I get what you mean, but the replacement scores compounds the issue. The original scores are nice reprieve.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 pm

ABED wrote:The narration is the most jarring thing. I get what you mean, but the replacement scores compounds the issue. The original scores are nice reprieve.
The narration is one thing, but the general direction of the dubs jars heavily against the original score, so even the reprieve of the original score is ruined by everyone sounding so mock intense, badass, and serious that the score just doesn't fit with what you're watching.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
ABED wrote:The narration is the most jarring thing. I get what you mean, but the replacement scores compounds the issue. The original scores are nice reprieve.
The narration is one thing, but the general direction of the dubs jars heavily against the original score, so even the reprieve of the original score is ruined by everyone sounding so mock intense, badass, and serious that the score just doesn't fit with what you're watching.
Nothing about the replacement score matches anything, except maybe the dialog, but they clash with the story and the visuals. I don't even watch the dub of Z or GT anymore, but when I did, the choice of the original score was so welcome and helped ameliorate the issues.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:27 pm

ABED wrote:Nothing about the replacement score matches anything, except maybe the dialog, but they clash with the story and the visuals. I don't even watch the dub of Z or GT anymore, but when I did, the choice of the original score was so welcome and helped ameliorate the issues.
Sure.
The problem is, the GT dub fails to gel with the original score, so ultimately, the dub of GT comes off bad whichever score you watch it with. Watching it with the original score means you aren't beat over the head with the god-awful replacement score, and it actually fits with the story and visuals, but it doesn't fit the dialogue at all, so it's jarring and not good to watch. Watching with the replacement score means you're stuck with an awful score that doesn't fit with anything, but the dialogue kind of fits to it...
Either way, you've got a failure of a dub on your hands.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 pm

So yes, it's the issue from dub, not show. It caused a lot of disrespect for GT Vegeta.
The most disrespectful thing ever done to GT Vegeta was his mustache and that has nothing to do with the dub lol

Honestly a great show with a bad dub is still a great show whereas a bad show with a great dub remains a bad show if you get what I'm saying lol

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:04 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
So yes, it's the issue from dub, not show. It caused a lot of disrespect for GT Vegeta.
The most disrespectful thing ever done to GT Vegeta was his mustache and that has nothing to do with the dub lol

Honestly a great show with a bad dub is still a great show whereas a bad show with a great dub remains a bad show if you get what I'm saying lol
How dare you disrespect the Prince's mustache! It made him look dynamite with a laser beam!

Jk.

Honestly, yeah, I have to agree. Dragon Ball and Z had horroble dubs, but the original material of the show still remained.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:28 am

I've just started my GT re-watch (haven't seen it in 10 years) and decided to turn on the subtitles alongside the dub and WOW did they change things up. It seemed like every other minute they changed a plot detail or what a character said. I'm fine with some changes if they're just paraphrases of the original but these were major changes to the plot that even created plot holes like Dende needing a first aid kit to heal Goku and Uub. If this is a preview of what's to come then Yes, GT is in a desperate need of a re-dub cause not only can this kind of dub change what the show is but also ruin it for potential fans which may be way it gets the hate it does (not that it doesn't have actual issues apart from the dub).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 am

Yes, all of Funi's pre-Kai dubs would benefit from a redub and GT would be a good place to start because there are less episodes to do so its less costly and unlike the Z dub I don't think there's as much of a nostalgic attachment to it.

Also, in the unlikely event this ever happens I say Brian Drummond should get a shot at Baby Vegeta.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:18 pm

sintzu wrote:I've just started my GT re-watch (haven't seen it in 10 years) and decided to turn on the subtitles alongside the dub and WOW did they change things up. It seemed like every other minute they changed a plot detail or what a character said. I'm fine with some changes if they're just paraphrases of the original but these were major changes to the plot that even created plot holes like Dende needing a first aid kit to heal Goku and Uub. If this is a preview of what's to come then Yes, GT is in a desperate need of a re-dub cause not only can this kind of dub change what the show is but also ruin it for potential fans which may be way it gets the hate it does (not that it doesn't have actual issues apart from the dub).
Dude, watching it dubbed is a really bad idea. :lol:

Switch the audio over to Japanese too(Or at least watch the Blue Water dub). You'll have a much better time.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Yes, all of Funi's pre-Kai dubs would benefit from a redub and GT would be a good place to start because there are less episodes to do so its less costly and unlike the Z dub I don't think there's as much of a nostalgic attachment to it.

Also, in the unlikely event this ever happens I say Brian Drummond should get a shot at Baby Vegeta.
Haha. Nice idea.
If they were going to bring in an Ocean guest voice, my suggestion would be to get Scott McNeil to voice Baby and anyone he happens to be posessing. I think he could really kick ass in that role, and he'd be versatile enough that he could switch up the Baby voice so it kind of fits whoever he's posessing while still definitely being Baby.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Dude, watching it dubbed is a really bad idea. :lol: Switch the audio over to Japanese too.
I switched over starting from ep2 as things are just too different in the dub to stick with it and fairly judge GT. I just finished the 1st 5 episodes (Goku defeats Ledgic and they leave the planet) but I plan on skipping episodes 6-15 as that's what killed my previous attempt at re-watching it. I can't believe the amount of changes the dub made in just 1 episode so if that's what the whole show is like then it's no wonder it gets as much hate as it does.

Goku went from saying he needs to go home to give me more food. How on earth did that script get the OK ? It's one thing to paraphrase but that's outright changing the story.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:06 pm

I've been watching GT for the first time with the English dub and subtitles on, specifically so that I can do a direct comparison and note any changes as the guys do the GT Review of Awesomeness. For the most part the early episodes are on point, but once we get past the Lost Episodes and into the Planet Tsufuru the script goes back to being rather off the rails.

Also, when were getting the topic about redubbing the Fire Safety Special??? :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:28 pm

redubbing the Fire Safety Special? Funi dubbed said special to begin with? :roll:
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:18 am

KBABZ wrote:For the most part the early episodes are on point.
In the dub Dende told Mr Popo to get the first air kit which created a major plot hole for people.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:22 am

sintzu wrote:
In the dub Dende told Mr Popo to get the first air kit which created a major plot hole for people.
For me it's not the worst whiff in the world, not like brilliant scientist or Trunks name-dropping 19 and 20 before it gets retconned later.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:15 am

Would anyone here be willing to upload the GT Episode recaps? With the narrator's dark and brooding voice droning on against the happy, cheerful Japanese music? Not gonna lie; I'm always in the mood for a laugh :lol: !
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:38 am

KBABZ wrote:
sintzu wrote:
For me it's not the worst whiff in the world.
It's pretty bad though as it created a plot hole and gave people (including myself) the impression that the original writers didn't know what they were doing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 am

sintzu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
sintzu wrote: In the dub Dende told Mr Popo to get the first air kit which created a major plot hole for people.
For me it's not the worst whiff in the world.
It's pretty bad though as it created a plot hole and gave people (including myself) the impression that the original writers didn't know what they were doing.
At the same time, in Z Gohan called out Kamehameha when he was firing a Masenko. Isn't that on the same level as Dende running for a first-aid kit?