Now that Sony own Funimation...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Now that Sony own Funimation...

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Are the chances of another release in the vein of 2013's Rock the Dragon Edition all but dead? I mean, the last few years certain people have been clamoring for a followup box set with the in-house dub that aired on Toonami or the unreleased to home video Westwood dub which Funimation potentially could have acquired the rights to.

I know when Disney purchased the Fox Kids/Saban library in 2001 they basically neglected releasing to home video a bunch of shows that people wanted (like Samurai Pizza Cats for example) and still to this day there's stuff that aired on Fox Kids that has never seen the light of day again because Disney doesn't think it will make a profit. It's likely in my mind this type of scenario could happen with Funi and Sony regarding everything that was dubbed prior to the Orange Bricks.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

sintzu
Banned

Re: Now that Sony own Funimation...

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:25 pm

I think we would've gotten a lot more special/limited releases such as the rock the dragon set had super not happened but with Super being a thing there's no reason to go back to old content now that new content is being released on a regular basis.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:06 pm

I think both the OG unaltered Funimation dub and the Westwood dub would be too much of a niche.

Even though I would love the unaltered Funimation dub with the full Dale Kelly narration in all its glory, it's still too similar to the Remastered dub for enough people to care.

Unlike the Saban dub the Westwood dub never aired in the US and generally isn't as fondly remembered as the Saban dub either. I grew up with it but personally don't think I could endure it again, so it's hard to imagine a US home release of it doing well.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I agree that its unlikely we will get any rereleases of older material from Funimation as long as Super is around, once Super is over, now thats another story. It could very well happen because Dragon Ball has always sold well on home video.

I think the ship has sailed for a westwood home release or edited Funimation dub DVD honestly. Maybe if Ocean Kai aired around the same time as Funi Kai there would have been enough of a push and momentum from Ocean fans, but I think they are a small minority now and only the hardcores truly care. With the edited Funimation dub, well Funimation could have struck while the iron was hot after Rock the Dragon (this would have been another opportunity to consider acquiring the westwood dub to use as an alternate audio track and the RTD sequels could have made everyone happy) and they didn't.

The potential financial gain of either wouldn't outweigh the cost of such a release, especially the westwood dub, which Funimation would also need to pay to get the rights to. Its unfortunate though because there are fans of both dubs that would like to own them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Sad that nothing collectible is getting released.
El Conejo Malo

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 am

I think if Super wasn't on the scene, there'd be more of a chance of that happening. Sony owning Funimation would actually give them more resources for a proper remaster, but it's simply not viable right now.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 pm

gokaiblue wrote:I think if Super wasn't on the scene, there'd be more of a chance of that happening. Sony owning Funimation would actually give them more resources for a proper remaster, but it's simply not viable right now.
If Sony goes the “4K” route, maybe they could have a reason to market a remastered DB, DBZ, DBGT in 4:3 (NOT 16:9). But the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

It’s kind of f’d up that Toei hasn’t given us a proper DB, DBZ, DBGT remaster 15-17 years after their DVD release. Perhaps they grew tired and stopped caring about the series that brought them good fortune(?) Toei gave us Kai, DB Super, and some movies showcasing Goku’s new hair color (booooorrriinggggg).

FUNi screwed the pooch by releasing DBZ one-hundred times, each one more worse than the other! Talk about a wasted opportunity. There may never be another release of DB, DBZ, or DBGT in this universe.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People