Dragon Ball Super Made an insane amount of money in 2018: Bandai Namco 2018 Sales Revenue

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Made an insane amount of money in 2018: Bandai Namco 2018 Sales Revenue

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Limit-Breaking wrote: I completely forgot about that, i wonder since the anime is more popular now and the dragon ball franchise is more well known now, how much money this movie might actually bring compare to the others.
I think it will outdo any One Piece movie at least.
Well compare to the one piece movies if i remember correctly they were all around the same amount of sales, the only difference was one piece had an anime running but the dragon ball battle of gods and frieza revival were not having any dragon ball series running. You may wonder what that has to do with anything but it plays a huge part, when it came down to those movies the bandai namco IR sales in 2016 was just around 6 billion yen i think. But since the series came out that changed dramatically and it's became even more well known and the sales says it all, so if anything the dragon ball movie might and this is just speculation it may reach the top ten biggest anime movie sales.
I am hoping for some Studio Ghibili levels of revenue.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Made an insane amount of money in 2018: Bandai Namco 2018 Sales Revenue

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Limit-Breaking wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I think it will outdo any One Piece movie at least.
Well compare to the one piece movies if i remember correctly they were all around the same amount of sales, the only difference was one piece had an anime running but the dragon ball battle of gods and frieza revival were not having any dragon ball series running. You may wonder what that has to do with anything but it plays a huge part, when it came down to those movies the bandai namco IR sales in 2016 was just around 6 billion yen i think. But since the series came out that changed dramatically and it's became even more well known and the sales says it all, so if anything the dragon ball movie might and this is just speculation it may reach the top ten biggest anime movie sales.
I think that it's possible.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Limit-Breaking wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I think it will outdo any One Piece movie at least.
It's completely possible for this film to make 100m in the box office if they take complete advantage of its release internationally (and it looks like they're already doing that). Judging by Dragon Ball's current immense popularity in Japan, this could possibly beat One Piece Film: Z and become the highest grossing Toei Animation film. I'm expecting 70m in Japan alone.

As for the rest of the world? Licensors need to push the film out in theatres as soon as they can after it comes out in Japan. The movie also needs a wide release, especially in the US. I'm sure that FUNimation are fully aware of how capable Dragon Ball is for a wide theatrical release. Resurrection 'F' blew expectations for a limited theatrical release. It managed to crack into the top 10 highest grossing anime films in the US. FUNimation have to give this next film a wider release and a longer run in theatres.

The licensors in Brazil and Argentina are already making the right calls and getting the film out in their theatres in January 2019. Australia and New Zealand will get it around the same time as the US, just like with Resurrection 'F'. The one thing I'm worried about is that FUNi will push their theatrical release a couple of months later just to get a dub out.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Limit-Breaking wrote: Well compare to the one piece movies if i remember correctly they were all around the same amount of sales, the only difference was one piece had an anime running but the dragon ball battle of gods and frieza revival were not having any dragon ball series running. You may wonder what that has to do with anything but it plays a huge part, when it came down to those movies the bandai namco IR sales in 2016 was just around 6 billion yen i think. But since the series came out that changed dramatically and it's became even more well known and the sales says it all, so if anything the dragon ball movie might and this is just speculation it may reach the top ten biggest anime movie sales.
It's completely possible for this film to make 100m in the box office if they take complete advantage of its release internationally (and it looks like they're already doing that). Judging by Dragon Ball's current immense popularity in Japan, this could possibly beat One Piece Film: Z and become the highest grossing Toei Animation film. I'm expecting 70m in Japan alone.

As for the rest of the world? Licensors need to push the film out in theatres as soon as they can after it comes out in Japan. The movie also needs a wide release, especially in the US. I'm sure that FUNimation are fully aware of how capable Dragon Ball is for a wide theatrical release. Resurrection 'F' blew expectations for a limited theatrical release. It managed to crack into the top 10 highest grossing anime films in the US. FUNimation have to give this next film a wider release and a longer run in theatres.

The licensors in Brazil and Argentina are already making the right calls and getting the film out in their theatres in January 2019. Australia and New Zealand will get it around the same time as the US, just like with Resurrection 'F'. The one thing I'm worried about is that FUNi will push their theatrical release a couple of months later just to get a dub out.
That could happen or it could be a huge bust and fail horribly.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:15 am

This is too insane Bandai sold it's August shipment of UI Gigantic Series at 11,880 yen each... with a second shipment scheduled immediately a month later for September... (The figure looks terrible) but this is too wild. DB is just printing MONEYYYYYYYYYYY.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:51 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:This is too insane Bandai sold it's August shipment of UI Gigantic Series at 11,880 yen each... with a second shipment scheduled immediately a month later for September... (The figure looks terrible) but this is too wild. DB is just printing MONEYYYYYYYYYYY.
We shall see how 2019 will look like if there is not a new show by then.
Majinwarman

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:15 am

I believe Dragon Ball as a franchise has much more potential to grow. I always knew, ever since Super was announced, that eventually Dragon Ball would have surpassed every other Bandai Namco property. There is a reason why Super clips racked up millions of views on YouTube every week. Dragon Ball is very strong right now.
If they play their cards right with the movie, prepare to be amazed by how much money it will do. It has tremendous potential to do extremely well due to the hype around Super, but of course they must try to have a worldwide release close to the Japanese release or else many people will just get spoiled and lose interest. South America getting the movie in January is good, and if January will be the release date for every country then that will be very good.
With the Dragon Ball Tour happening in North America, it seems like they are playing their cards well. DB is very popular out there so it’s great if they market the movie heavily.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 am

emperior wrote:I believe Dragon Ball as a franchise has much more potential to grow. I always knew, ever since Super was announced, that eventually Dragon Ball would have surpassed every other Bandai Namco property. There is a reason why Super clips racked up millions of views on YouTube every week. Dragon Ball is very strong right now.
If they play their cards right with the movie, prepare to be amazed by how much money it will do. It has tremendous potential to do extremely well due to the hype around Super, but of course they must try to have a worldwide release close to the Japanese release or else many people will just get spoiled and lose interest. South America getting the movie in January is good, and if January will be the release date for every country then that will be very good.
With the Dragon Ball Tour happening in North America, it seems like they are playing their cards well. DB is very popular out there so it’s great if they market the movie heavily.
That is a good point. Toei can't do what they did with BoG and wait a year to release it overseas. They have to release it in a relatively earlier time period and market the movie well.
Majinwarman

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:02 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:I believe Dragon Ball as a franchise has much more potential to grow. I always knew, ever since Super was announced, that eventually Dragon Ball would have surpassed every other Bandai Namco property. There is a reason why Super clips racked up millions of views on YouTube every week. Dragon Ball is very strong right now.
That is a good point. Toei can't do what they did with BoG and wait a year to release it overseas. They have to release it in a relatively earlier time period and market the movie well.
I noticed you guys kept bringing up about the release date and well i read a recent interview on kanzenshuu about the people working on the film and this is what they had to say.

Warnining I'm just wording it from the interview and all credit goes to the guys on kanzenshuu so give your love and support to them. The mesage in the color read is the most important one.

To fans the world over!

When the new movie was announced, the official site was inundated by accesses from all around the world. Are you eyeing the possibility of bringing the new movie to the world, as well?

When we started on this movie, we set out the goal of wanting to bring it to fans the world over. It’s said that Dragon Ball is popular all over the world, but actually, the intensity of that popularity varies by country. The timing of that popularity also varies, and now, while there are places where it’s currently incredibly popular, there are also locations where it had a period of popularity until a little while ago. Therefore, we felt that we would be able to do a greater variety of things by not simply lumping things together into the phrase, “Dragon Ball is popular overseas, too,” and launch things properly in each locality after determining a proper strategy.

What sort of things are you doing, specifically?

If we start considering an overseas release after the movie is already finished, it will take time no matter what, so we set up a schedule in advance that took the localization (translation, dubbing, etc. into the local language) into consideration. In addition, It’s also why we made this movie Dragon Ball Super. Up till now, when you’d say “Dragon Ball” overseas, the image of Dragon Ball Z was strong. But at present, Dragon Ball Super is actually being broadcast overseas with virtually no time lag, so it’s currently exceeding our expectations in its becoming accepted. So we decided to go with a story for this movie that’s connected to the world of Dragon Ball Super. We decided to live in the moment, and make Dragon Ball Super, which will continue to spread in the future, into a movie.

Again i get this information from kanzenshuu newest interiview translations and I'm just writing this to show that they are prepared for a worldwide release very early.

I will leave a link to the interview and all credit goes to the guys on Kanzenshuu. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
I noticed you guys kept bringing up about the release date and well i read a recent interview on kanzenshuu about the people working on the film and this is what they had to say.

Warnining I'm just wording it from the interview and all credit goes to the guys on kanzenshuu so give your love and support to them. The mesage in the color read is the most important one.

To fans the world over!

When the new movie was announced, the official site was inundated by accesses from all around the world. Are you eyeing the possibility of bringing the new movie to the world, as well?

When we started on this movie, we set out the goal of wanting to bring it to fans the world over. It’s said that Dragon Ball is popular all over the world, but actually, the intensity of that popularity varies by country. The timing of that popularity also varies, and now, while there are places where it’s currently incredibly popular, there are also locations where it had a period of popularity until a little while ago. Therefore, we felt that we would be able to do a greater variety of things by not simply lumping things together into the phrase, “Dragon Ball is popular overseas, too,” and launch things properly in each locality after determining a proper strategy.

What sort of things are you doing, specifically?

If we start considering an overseas release after the movie is already finished, it will take time no matter what, so we set up a schedule in advance that took the localization (translation, dubbing, etc. into the local language) into consideration. In addition, It’s also why we made this movie Dragon Ball Super. Up till now, when you’d say “Dragon Ball” overseas, the image of Dragon Ball Z was strong. But at present, Dragon Ball Super is actually being broadcast overseas with virtually no time lag, so it’s currently exceeding our expectations in its becoming accepted. So we decided to go with a story for this movie that’s connected to the world of Dragon Ball Super. We decided to live in the moment, and make Dragon Ball Super, which will continue to spread in the future, into a movie.

Again i get this information from kanzenshuu newest interiview translations and I'm just writing this to show that they are prepared for a worldwide release very early.

I will leave a link to the interview and all credit goes to the guys on Kanzenshuu. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/
I'm glad that they decided to plan everything out and it isn't a last minute decision.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Maaaaaaan. This is insane. This months Grandista UI Goku got a minimum of 526 cases (@22,400yen per case) from the big three gameststions in Japan (Sega, Taito & Namco).... For a total of ¥11,782,400. There's still the other smaller gameststions around Japan unaccounted for....so this is just the minimum, this is too insane.

Cannot imagine what the December orders will be...

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Maaaaaaan. This is insane. This months Grandista UI Goku got a minimum of 526 cases (@22,400yen per case) from the big three gameststions in Japan (Sega, Taito & Namco).... For a total of ¥11,782,400. There's still the other smaller gameststions around Japan unaccounted for....so this is just the minimum, this is too insane.

Cannot imagine what the December orders will be...
That's pretty damn cool, by any chance do you know how that stacks up compared to other anime figures as well.