Dragon Ball Super Made an insane amount of money in 2018: Bandai Namco 2018 Sales Revenue

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Limit-Breaking

Dragon Ball Super Made an insane amount of money in 2018: Bandai Namco 2018 Sales Revenue

Post by Limit-Breaking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 pm

This comes from a released article of this year and deserves a lot of attention, and i will go into showing what they had said as well as leaving you links if you want to see it. I hope You enjoy :D

Dragon Ball Super Tv Series came to a close this year, and many wonder if they will come back with a new series or why they should. Well Dragon Ball Ip Sales is a perfect reason as to why the show has a high chance of coming back. No joke all you have to do is take a look into Bandai namco Sales From 2018 and it will leave you jaw dropping.

Dragon Ball brought in all kinds of cash for Bandai Namco in 2018. The fiscal year, which ranged from April 2017 to March 2018, saw Dragon Ball rake in nearly 98,000,000,000 yen.
Yes, that is nearly 100 billion yen. Convert that to USD, and you will find that Dragon Ball’s IP sold about $888,256,418 which is nothing to sneeze at.

The 2018 fiscal year saw a sharp rise in profits from even the 2017 records as it brought in about 61.1 billion yen. 2016 was marked at about 35 billion yen, and Dragon Ball was only clocking in at 6.4 billion yen before Dragon Ball Super got its debut. So, you can see what kind of cash the revival brought to Bandai Namco since the company does oversee all of the series’ merchandise.

Not only did Dragon Ball bring in serious cash for Bandai Namco, but it did what many thought was impossible. In 2017, Mobile Suit Gundam still outsold Dragon Ball thanks to its massive Gunpla market, but the Saiyan series managed to beat out the mecha franchise in 2018. Dragon Ball sold nearly 98 billion yen in 2018 which eclipsed the 68.3 billion yen Mobile Suit Gundam brought in. And, if Bandai Namco did all its forecasting correct, then Dragon Ball will beat out Mobile Suit Gundam once more in 2019.

Not only that but they expected in 2017 that dragon ball was going to drop 15 billion yen once 2018 came around, so they thought it would go from 61.1 billion yen to 46.1 billion yen in 2018. But instead Dragon Ball increased from a 61.1 Billion yen to a whopping 97.9 Billion yen Within just a year. Basically it gained more money, and had an increase of about 36.8 billion yen in 2018.

It would be considered crazy to drop a franchise like dragon ball at this point in time especially the amount of money it's making. Either way i hope you enjoyed the topic and
Down below are the links for the article and Bandai namco IR Financial Results.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/05/15/d ... ney-anime/

https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/r ... ry_id=5900

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Super Made an insane amount of money in 2018: Bandai Namco 2018 Sales Revenue

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi,

Kanzenshuu covered this in a news article as well:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/05/09/ba ... 8-figures/

Before the final 2018 figures were released, we also discussed these trends in-depth on our podcast:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/01/23/po ... sode-0432/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Made an insane amount of money in 2018: Bandai Namco 2018 Sales Revenue

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote:This comes from a released article of this year and deserves a lot of attention, and i will go into showing what they had said as well as leaving you links if you want to see it. I hope You enjoy :D

Dragon Ball Super Tv Series came to a close this year, and many wonder if they will come back with a new series or why they should. Well Dragon Ball Ip Sales is a perfect reason as to why the show has a high chance of coming back. No joke all you have to do is take a look into Bandai namco Sales From 2018 and it will leave you jaw dropping.

Dragon Ball brought in all kinds of cash for Bandai Namco in 2018. The fiscal year, which ranged from April 2017 to March 2018, saw Dragon Ball rake in nearly 98,000,000,000 yen.
Yes, that is nearly 100 billion yen. Convert that to USD, and you will find that Dragon Ball’s IP sold about $888,256,418 which is nothing to sneeze at.

The 2018 fiscal year saw a sharp rise in profits from even the 2017 records as it brought in about 61.1 billion yen. 2016 was marked at about 35 billion yen, and Dragon Ball was only clocking in at 6.4 billion yen before Dragon Ball Super got its debut. So, you can see what kind of cash the revival brought to Bandai Namco since the company does oversee all of the series’ merchandise.

Not only did Dragon Ball bring in serious cash for Bandai Namco, but it did what many thought was impossible. In 2017, Mobile Suit Gundam still outsold Dragon Ball thanks to its massive Gunpla market, but the Saiyan series managed to beat out the mecha franchise in 2018. Dragon Ball sold nearly 98 billion yen in 2018 which eclipsed the 68.3 billion yen Mobile Suit Gundam brought in. And, if Bandai Namco did all its forecasting correct, then Dragon Ball will beat out Mobile Suit Gundam once more in 2019.

Not only that but they expected in 2017 that dragon ball was going to drop 15 billion yen once 2018 came around, so they thought it would go from 61.1 billion yen to 46.1 billion yen in 2018. But instead Dragon Ball increased from a 61.1 Billion yen to a whopping 97.9 Billion yen Within just a year. Basically it gained more money, and had an increase of about 36.8 billion yen in 2018.

It would be considered crazy to drop a franchise like dragon ball at this point in time especially the amount of money it's making. Either way i hope you enjoyed the topic and

Those are still crazy numbers no matter how you look at them.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm

DBS being off air hasn't made a difference, which is still kinda surprising to me. Yesterday's UI Goku release Sega alone ordered at least 185 cases (@28,800yen each case which makes 5,328,000yen) no doubt the other two big game stations, Taito and Namco, probably ordered similar numbers. For April's UI Goku Sega only ordered 152 cases!

It really is insane how well DB is doing.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:DBS being off air hasn't made a difference, which is still kinda surprising to me. Yesterday's UI Goku release Sega alone ordered at least 185 cases (@28,800yen each case which makes 5,328,000yen) no doubt the other two big game stations, Taito and Namco, probably ordered similar numbers. For April's UI Goku Sega only ordered 152 cases!

Wow that's about 48,297 USD and 40 cents

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:DBS being off air hasn't made a difference, which is still kinda surprising to me. Yesterday's UI Goku release Sega alone ordered at least 185 cases (@28,800yen each case which makes 5,328,000yen) no doubt the other two big game stations, Taito and Namco, probably ordered similar numbers. For April's UI Goku Sega only ordered 152 cases!

Super was the best thing that has happened to Bandi Namco in the last few years beside My Hero Academia.
Majinwarman

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm

majinwarman wrote:

Super was the best thing that has happened to Bandi Namco in the last few years beside My Hero Academia.
Your not wrong there i just wish they would at least announce that dragon ball would return in 2019 if that's what they are planning to do.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:34 am

I would be very interested in knowing how much FighterZ contributed to this.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 am

Vertical wrote:I would be very interested in knowing how much FighterZ contributed to this.
Hmm at best I can say for dargon ball fighters is a bit more complicated, but this is what you would get if you calculate it.

2.5 million copies sold in March and if you charged each game 60 dollars you would get around

150 million dollars.
The problem with that calculation is there are ultimate edition where they charge 120 dollars or maybe even more and the game probably is charged differently in other countries because of the currency differences. But if they all charge the same amount of money that would equal to 60 USD then 150 million dollars is the best estimate for now excluding the ultimate edition or the season pass as well.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:46 am

That's about $900 million in US dollars then.

Back in 2015 I made this thread

viewtopic.php?t=29850

When I found out Dragon Ball had sold $5 billion in merchandise.

Now it looks like it's going to hit $7 billion by next year probably.

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am

Bullza wrote:That's about $900 million in US dollars then.

Back in 2015 I made this thread

viewtopic.php?t=29850

When I found out Dragon Ball had sold $5 billion in merchandise.

Now it looks like it's going to hit $7 billion by next year probably.
Hey I'm surprise, your the one who made that thread i remember reading that before.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:00 am

Limit-Breaking wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Your not wrong there i just wish they would at least announce that dragon ball would return in 2019 if that's what they are planning to do.
I think that they will do that once the movie is out and when they have time to start pre-production on it.
Majinwarman

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 am

majinwarman wrote:
Limit-Breaking wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Super was the best thing that has happened to Bandi Namco in the last few years beside My Hero Academia.
I think that they will do that once the movie is out and when they have time to start pre-production on it.
I Know i just feel like it would be better to announce a show will be coming rather than teasing and not saying anything about it, i mean that drives people away from a series they like.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote:This comes from a released article of this year and deserves a lot of attention, and i will go into showing what they had said as well as leaving you links if you want to see it. I hope You enjoy :D

It truly is an amazing time to be a Dragon Ball fan. :D

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 am

Bandai legitimately cannot release anything without the DBS logo being somewhere:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Banpresto no better
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I am happy DBS is a success and all but shit like this pisses me off to no end.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Bandai legitimately cannot release anything without the DBS logo being somewhere:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Banpresto no better
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I am happy DBS is a success and all but shit like this pisses me off to no end.
They have to make all the money they can.
Majinwarman

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:49 pm

And we aren’t done yet. DB is gonna go out with a bang of money from the DBS Movie.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:And we aren’t done yet. DB is gonna go out with a bang of money from the DBS Movie.
I completely forgot about that, i wonder since the anime is more popular now and the dragon ball franchise is more well known now, how much money this movie might actually bring compare to the others.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:And we aren’t done yet. DB is gonna go out with a bang of money from the DBS Movie.
I completely forgot about that, i wonder since the anime is more popular now and the dragon ball franchise is more well known now, how much money this movie might actually bring compare to the others.
I think it will outdo any One Piece movie at least.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Limit-Breaking

Post by Limit-Breaking » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:01 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Limit-Breaking wrote:
I think it will outdo any One Piece movie at least.
Well compare to the one piece movies if i remember correctly they were all around the same amount of sales, the only difference was one piece had an anime running but the dragon ball battle of gods and frieza revival were not having any dragon ball series running. You may wonder what that has to do with anything but it plays a huge part, when it came down to those movies the bandai namco IR sales in 2016 was just around 6 billion yen i think. But since the series came out that changed dramatically and it's became even more well known and the sales says it all, so if anything the dragon ball movie might and this is just speculation it may reach the top ten biggest anime movie sales.