Video Game character that look like DB characters (non-Toriyama examples)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Video Game character that look like DB characters (non-Toriyama examples)

Post by DB1984 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:11 am

Here's an interesting topic I had in mind. What are some Video Game characters that make you think of characters from the franchise? I'm not talking about characters from games in which Toriyama did the artwork (i.e. Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger).

Two of them come to mind. First up, is the main character from Buster Bros. (1989 arcade game) He kinda looks like Gohan.

And here's the main character of Namco's 1989 arcade game Burning Force, Hiromi Tengeni. She kinda looks like Bulma, and even has the same name and initials as Bulma's original Japanese VA, the late Hiromi Tsuru.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: Video Game character that look like DB characters (non-Toriyama examples)

Post by Pantalones » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Not really seeing Bulma in the second one, though she definitely has that "girl from an '80s anime" look... but that first guy definitely looks like a young Gohan dressed up like an archaeologist or something.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Video Game character that look like DB characters (non-Toriyama examples)

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 pm

It doesn't look much like Toriyama's artstyle, but a video game I always thought had an overwhelmingly Toriyama-esque style was the 80s cult classic, Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

Turns out, my hunch was right!
Alex Kidd was almost a Dragon Ball game

Another article: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... _ball_game
The revelation comes from none other than Kotaro Hayashida, creator of the character. Incredibly media-shy, Hayashida speaks to John Szczepaniak in the latest volume of the superb Untold History of Japanese Game Developers, explaining exactly how the project started:

Sega were planning on making a Dragon Ball game... I guess this happened long enough ago that it's okay for me to talk about this! The project began as a Dragon Ball title, not as a direct competitor to Super Mario Bros.

But when we were told we could not use the Dragon Ball licence any more, we were forced to come up with our own ideas instead. For example, when it was Dragon Ball, Goku fought with his Power Pole, but we changed that to a punch attack. It was only after we came up with the plan to restart the project as Alex Kidd in Miracle World that we starting thinking about Mario, and looking for ways in which to differentiate the title from it.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.